For 1M cash

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

For 1 Million What Would You Do?

Take an Aroldis Chapman fastball to the chest while standing at home plate with no added protection
17%
Take a Giancarlo Stanton hit off the bat to the face while wearing a goalie mask (10 feet from the plate)
63%
Neither
20%

Total votes: 30

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

For 1M cash

Post by Philaflava »

Straight $1M, no taxes, just take home money. Which of the following would you do?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Re: For 1M cash

Post by capable_keL »

1 mill, huh?

gimme the Chapman fastball to the grill. I can recover eventually. if you understand physics you'll know that the Stanton foul tip will have much more velocity and vorticity
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Homer Simpson

Post by Homer Simpson »

voted for the foul tip off the mask. i would want some kind of padding. a fastball to the chest would fuckin suck.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

The Stanton choice. The Chapman one you're gonna be feeling for awhile.

Unrelated, I had the second choice happen to me when I was ten and I wasn't wearing a mask. Sitting around after practice, some dipshit lobs another dipshit a meatball and the kid lined it directly into my mouth (nh). If I didn't have braces, I would've lost my front teeth. Lucky for me, I did have braces, so I had braces lodged in my gums. Most blood I've ever seen. That was a fun trip to the orthodontist.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

holy fuck that is horrible

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

100 MPH fastball to chest or head would kill you. Stanton one wouldn't.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Tommy Bunz wrote:100 MPH fastball to chest or head would kill you. Stanton one wouldn't.
Yup give me the face mask and foul tip

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

Neither, but if I needed the cash that bad then Chapman. If you knew it was coming and you braced yourself even a 100 mph fastball to the chest wouldn't kill you. I'm not fucking w/ no head shots after all this concussion leading to suicide talk.

and that's pretty shitty, KTL. :sad: Did the blood squirt out like an old school kung fu flick? I've unfortunately had that happen more than once to the face. It sucks obviously but it's kinda cool to witness from that POV. Hey, at least you got your real teeth still...

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Goalie masks are made to handle similar things to this while your chest isn't. Stanton option all day.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Smithee wrote:and that's pretty shitty, KTL. :sad: Did the blood squirt out like an old school kung fu flick? I've unfortunately had that happen more than once to the face. It sucks obviously but it's kinda cool to witness from that POV. Hey, at least you got your real teeth still...
I immediately grabbed my mouth and started crying. Blood was running down my hands and I remember a coach trying to get into the concession stand to get a clean towel and ice for me. It took awhile, I remember that. There was a pool of blood in the dugout. It was disgusting. My parents weren't there, so one of the other dad's gave me a ride home and didn't bother explaining to my parents what had happened (dick move, even though the pain was gone by this point). It was uncomfortable but not crazy after the shock wore off. I remember drinking really thin milkshakes. And my dad let me hook up the Playstation to the big screen because he felt sorry for me so I got to play Driver for hours on end. That was badass.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Crazy as fuck.. i seen some crazy shit playing sports, but that's trill

alpha

Post by alpha »

I can't believe some of you think a 100 mph heater wouldn't kill you or seriously hurt you.

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

capable_keL wrote:Crazy as fuck.. i seen some crazy shit playing sports, but that's trill
Word. That is trill, but wack. You're a survivor in your own way, KTL. I bet that was difficult to deal w/ when young.

and alpha that shit is really rare, even if you're a 14 yr old HS baseball player playing varsity, which is allowed. They can throw 92-93 there. Like I said, if you're a grown man seeing it coming it's way different. I'd take one of those twice a week for a month before taking a 20 year old Tyson straight up shot to the grill once.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

There is a huge difference between taking a beaner thrown by a highschooler (and then you're taking it off the side, or your back) and taking a 102 mph fastball directly into your chest. If it hits your sternum or your heart directly you're fucked.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

alpha wrote:I can't believe some of you think a 100 mph heater wouldn't kill you or seriously hurt you.

In his defense you can see it coming, whatever that means.

Unless you got chest like Bolo Yeung you ain't getting up from that.

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

It would fuck you the fuck up, no doubt.

But just for fun/argument's sake...you know where your heart is. If Crawford wasn't allowed to hit you in the head (he's a professional) and you saw it coming, you could flex and take it on the other side. Would hurt for weeks, broken bones maybe, but not death.
Last edited by Smithee on Fri May 16, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

So you think you can control where a 100 MPH fastball is going to hit you in the chest?
Professional athletes with the best reflexes in the world can't do that. You are overestimating your own abilities, buddy.

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

Ahhh, edit.

I assume you're allowed to practice w/ a legit chest protector first to warm up for a few weeks? Start w/ 70 and work your way up.

I would not do it, I said that. But for a mil and I had mouths to feed w/ no bank account? I'd be just all up in the batting cage like cha-ching, cha-ching. Money motivates.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

I think you been watching too much Happy Gilmore bruh.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Stanton because I like being alive.

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

Ramen wrote:I think you been watching too much Happy Gilmore bruh.
:rofl: On point.

I need an animated gif of Big Puss from the Sopranos "Just not in the face..."

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

I wanna change my answer. I'd rather the thing with the face protection.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

goalies take 100 mph shots off the dome all the time with those masks on.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Tommy Bunz wrote:100 MPH fastball to chest or head would kill you. Stanton one wouldn't.
I <3 Employee.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

i'm surprised that so many of my beloved bar members are unaware of the law of physics