World Cup '14 - Official Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Guun

World Cup '14 - Official Thread

Post by Guun »

Didn't see a thread dedicated to this and figured it warranted one. Let's get this started.

Donovan off the US roster? Shrewd move but I like it. Let's get some young bucks in there.

Also put together a Bracket Predictor fantasy jawn. Pick the group winners and runner ups and then the elimination rounds.

http://games.espn.go.com/world-cup-brac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... worldcupbp

PW: pfwc14

peanut butter

Re: World Cup '14 - Official Thread

Post by peanut butter »

The Julian Green era begins

PEACE

Req

Post by Req »

from what anyone who watches MLS has told me: Donovan has aged horribly, has lost like 2 steps of pace and wouldn't have made the starting XI. Could be a case for bringing him along for leadership/vet qualities, but Klinsmann doesn't subscribe to that ethos.

Shitty draw for the US, particularly as this is the first WC that's gonna be prime time TV since 94.
F.U. MOOLAH

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

My friends bought tickets to go to Brazil for WC games as their honeymoon. Then homie fucked around and got wifey pregnant. They are still gonna go. She's gonna be like 6 months along when they leave.

PEACE

alpha

Post by alpha »

I already requested the weekday US games off. I'm def a casual fan but the World Cup is always a great time

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

I'm sorry No Landon is a damn shame

Has he fallen off? Yes, but looking @ who did make it there is no way even an old, slower, Landon shouldn't be on the 23 man roster.

Its a personal issue between him n klinnsy.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

VideoKilledThe wrote:I'm sorry No Landon is a damn shame

Has he fallen off? Yes, but looking @ who did make it there is no way even an old, slower, Landon shouldn't be on the 23 man roster.

Its a personal issue between him n klinnsy.
I tend to agree. The team sucks and you're telling me he's not one of the 23 best players and that they couldn't find any role for him at all? I smell bullshit.

It's all a moot point regardless. They'll be lucky to get a point in their group.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ric

Post by ric »

i will cheering for brazil pretty hard even though they dont need the spirit

and of course i always cheer for italy

alpha

Post by alpha »

Shut the fuck up ric

Req

Post by Req »

ric wrote:i will cheering for brazil pretty hard even though they dont need the spirit

and of course i always cheer for italy
Go Yankees and Red Sox!! Wooo!!! Yeeeah!!!!!!
F.U. MOOLAH

TeenageMoustache

Post by TeenageMoustache »

Most important game for US is the first one in the group: Germany v Portugal

If Portugal wins that match it's going to be hard for the US to advance.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Based on groups and all that, who are the favorites?

Req

Post by Req »

alpha wrote:Based on groups and all that, who are the favorites?
Spain, Germany, Brazil and Argentina
Based on it it being South America, most people think it'll be either Brazil or Argentina.
Dark horses: Uruguay & Belgium

Brazil are remarkably overrated IMO. They're a relatively young team and the least talented they've been since the 80s. This combo means they'll likely shit themselves from the pressure. Wouldn't be surprised if they're out at the quarters.

I like Argentina or Uruguay.
F.U. MOOLAH

alpha

Post by alpha »

Word to Belgium,, they got some good players from what I've read.
I know Argentina has Messi, but are they a legitmate threat? And what about the Netherlands? Admittedly I know they have Robben and Van Persie but I thought they have a strong team

Req

Post by Req »

going forward, Argentina have the best attack in the whole tournament. Not only do they have the best player in the world, but they also have Di Maria, Aguero and Higuain. All world class. Their backline is solid and really they only need 2 decent holding midfielders as they'll probably play a 4-2-1-3. They have Mascherano and Gago for that.

As for Netherlands, they'll rely a lot on the triangle of Robben-RVP-Sneijder. Good GKs, but very inexperienced backline. They're also always the surest bet to self-combust. They actually have quite a tough group with Spain and Chile. If they finish second, they will likely play Brazil in the first KO round.
F.U. MOOLAH

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

I'll be hoping Japan, Colombia and Ivory Coast do well. I also like many individual players from Italy - they're probably my fave Euro team in this tourney.

Who will win it? Spain have the best squad, but I'd say Brazil given their home advantage. Their defense is really, really solid too. Marcelo-Dante-Silva-Alves. They have a bunch of technically sound midfielders who work really hard, so their pressing should be excellent too. Neymar will score lots of goals and he isn't a bad shout for topscorer. This could also be a breakthrough for Lucas or the little guy who plays in Eastern Ukraine - he'll be hoping for a move this summer. They're not as exciting anymore, but they can still beat any team in the world the way I see it.

Argentina's squad is very uneven (no wingbacks or keepers), same goes for Holland, England, France and other favorites + the teams like Belgium etc.

Brazil, Spain and Germany are favorites to win imo, while Italy is always somewhere in the mix. But there's bound to be a few surprises along the way, esp since many of the referees are from exotic countries.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

alpha

Post by alpha »

thanks guys

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

I agree it's Brazil, Spain, Germany

Also the old saying no European team has won a WC hosted in South America still stands true

Which means don't sleep on Argentina, or Uruguay.

zombie

Post by zombie »

Don't worry guys, Argentina has this.

Europe has never played well in South America

Messi/Aguerro/Di Maria attack force easy peasy

I'm only worried about their defense because they are all getting really old back there, which means their half backs are going to be needing to be assisting back there a lot.

Fuck Brazil. Fuck Neymar.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

I'm going to be all over this thread but here's my initial contribution:

All the countries here:

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/_/name/world ... 93?cc=5901
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

After the world cup, do you guys feel like you need a new football thread instead of the 80 page behemoth or are you guys cool with still rolling with that?

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:After the world cup, do you guys feel like you need a new football thread instead of the 80 page behemoth or are you guys cool with still rolling with that?
lol yes! Thanks mayne.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

New season, new thread.

Could even re-name the old one transfer talk/offseason.

boianski

Post by boianski »

Fifa is facing calls to rerun the bidding competition for the 2022 World Cup after allegations that a former top Qatari football official paid $5m (£2.98m) to win support for the nation's campaign to host the event.

Labour said Qatar should lose the 2022 World Cup and urged those involved to resign if the Fifa corruption allegations detailed in the Sunday Times were true. Clive Efford, the shadow sport minister, said the new revelations "called the governance of football into question".

"No one will have any confidence in a Fifa investigation run by Sepp Blatter," he said. "If these allegations are true then those involved should resign."
http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... bin-hammam

USA 2022!

Bidding starts at $5,000,001

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Positive A wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:After the world cup, do you guys feel like you need a new football thread instead of the 80 page behemoth or are you guys cool with still rolling with that?
lol yes! Thanks mayne.

Alright, I'll do so after Argentina hoists the cup.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Going to the friendly Vs Nigeria this Saturday. Gunna be Merica'd the fuck out. I don't have high hopes for the US due to our group but I'm still going to enjoy the fuck outta the World Cup.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Thoughts on Raheem vs Valencia?

I honestly didn't think the tackle was that bad(mostly the sliding/follow through leg), or the reaction was that bad. Didn't watch the game live, heard it was a horror tackle, and that he choked him out, neither was true. For me neither should have been red carded, but I understand it is a friendly and they don't want that kind of stuff going on a few weeks before the WC. Pool vs United, what do you expect.

also, Ox donzo?

Guun

Post by Guun »

Enough with the injuries, ugh. Reus out for Germany is a damn shame.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Even with their ridiculous amount of depth/talent, losing Reus hurts. Probably won't affect them getting out of group, but in the knock out stages he will be missed. One of the only final third players they had with pace.

Gotta feel for the guy, miss out on the WC by getting hurt in the final warm up friendly literally days before the tournament, he was probably even gonna get subbed off in the second half anyways.