World Cup '14 - Official Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

VideoKilledThe

Re: World Cup '14 - Official Thread

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:I thought you guys were supposed to hate the mexicans anyway. Or does the CONCACAF stick together?
It's like college football, you hate the teams in your conference when you're playing against them, but come bowl season cheer for them to represent. There's a general perception among CONCACAF fans that our teams are better than what the world gives us credit for. I was happy to see Mexico get out of group, same with Costa Rica, basically because it makes CONCACAF look stronger, and indirectly makes the US look stronger, and makes some of the struggles of qualifying more acceptable.

It's weird tho, I love Mexico the country (visiting at least), love Mexican bitches, but fucking hate Mexican fans. The most conceded bunch of fucks you'll ever meet. One of my friends, who is just a casual soccer fan, was absolutely convinced that Mexico had won MULTIPLE World Cups despite everyone telling him he was wrong, and refused to back down until we googled it. Best they've ever done is quarterfinals, and both times they were the host country.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

I'm not sure that the teams aren't credited enough. Nobody expected Costa Rica to do well, but everyone loves them for proving us wrong and getting out of an impossible group. Everyone knew it was a cointoss between Croatia and Mexico for advancing as 2nd. I suppose not too many people fancied the US but everyone acknowledges that they work really hard and pulled through despite of their shortcomings, partly capitalizing on Portugal's horrorshow against Germany and unrest in the Ghana-camp, which seems fair enough to me.

African and esp Asian teams have been unusually poor this year (I guess verdict is still out on Africa to be fair). Costa Rica v Ivory Coast would have been much better than this shite.

Gotta love our guy Campbell. Future EPL star?
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Comedy Quaddafi

RUIZ.

The match starts now.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

What a weak-ass goal.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Always looked like scoring.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Gotta love our guy Campbell. Future EPL star?
I like Campbell more than any of the other Arsenal forwards.

Are they bringing him back next year, or is he still loaned out?

Comedy Quaddafi

He will be with the team for preseason. Wenger seems a bit dismissive about his future so if he signs someone like Sanchez he might cash in now for 800% profit.

Someone on an Arsenal-board likened him to Sturridge. JC definitely has the right physique and hes fearless too.
- MB

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Req wrote:
jamrage wrote:How much United States international play have you watched over the years? Judging by your comments I'd say not much, but if you want to make a decision based solely on looking at five years of league play overseas I suppose you can do that.
yeah, sorry dude. I just put a lot more stock into playing well in the EPL over scoring hat tricks past Belize and Trinidad.
jamrage wrote:but Donovan has the history in international play and the numbers don't lie.
this isn't baseball

Country / Top Scorer
Argentina - Gabriel Batistuta
France - Thierry Henry
Germany - Miroslav Klose
Italy - Luigi Riva
Netherlands - Robin van Persie
Spain - David Villa

Just a sampling of major nations whose top scorer is not considered their GOAT. With the exception of Henry it's not even close either...
That's fine, I've never said that the fact that Donovan has scored the most automatically makes him the best player in U.S. history, but he has scored a lot of goals which obviously means he's a very good player. People on here are acting like he's never scored a good goal in his life which is absurd. The '09 one against Brazil jumps to mind. He's a catalyst that makes his teammates better (until recently) while Dempsey is more of a striker type. Better pure scorer, but not as good a passer or able to control a game like Donovan.

Ah well, we've talked this one out, but time will tell.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:He will be with the team for preseason. Wenger seems a bit dismissive about his future so if he signs someone like Sanchez he might cash in now for 800% profit.

Someone on an Arsenal-board likened him to Sturridge. JC definitely has the right physique and hes fearless too.
I haven't seen him extensively so the Sturridge comparison seems a reach. I've never seen him finish like Sturridge. He is a pacey black guy, but that's not much of an analogy.

Sanchez is rumored to be going everywhere, to Arsenal to Juve to United to Liverpool as part of the Suarez package, we'll have to let the dust settle on that one. Super talented guy tho, who is under utilized at Barca.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

You have to feel bad for Mexico. Almost home only to have it snatched away in six minutes. Still, once they scored they seemed to go into turtle mode which is never a good idea.

I guess it was a penalty, but goddamn it that was a tough one to lose on. Just Robben being Robben. Brutal. I think the heat fucked with Holland a bit which was part of the reason why Mexico was able to play so well. Great game.

Love seeing Costa Rica advance, Greece are so fucking boring. Great to see Costa Rica maintain their attacking style despite being a man down, I wish more teams had that philosophy. They did a piss poor job of maintaining possession at the end of the game though. Looking forward to seeing them play the Netherlands.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Comedy Quaddafi

VideoKilledThe wrote:
Comedy Quaddafi wrote:He will be with the team for preseason. Wenger seems a bit dismissive about his future so if he signs someone like Sanchez he might cash in now for 800% profit.

I haven't seen him extensively so the Sturridge comparison seems a reach. I've never seen him finish like Sturridge. He is a pacey black guy, but that's not much of an analogy.

Sanchez is rumored to be going everywhere, to Arsenal to Juve to United to Liverpool as part of the Suarez package, we'll have to let the dust settle on that one. Super talented guy tho, who is under utilized at Barca.
It's probably also because of his bulky frame, and perhaps his slightly selfish and cocky style. Not the worst comparison imo.

I said "someone like Sanchez" to be fair but the most reliable journalists in Spain all reckon hes going to Arsenal if he doesn't stay in Barca. The Italians are saying hes going to Juve while the English media do what they always do; link him to anyone who could possibly afford him.

Really not impressed by Liverpool and United in the market so far. Not sure how much United can spend but they just bought two unproven players for £65m+.

Last season Spurs showed that you can't just buy a handful of players who look good in the latest edition of FIFA (EA) and then hope for the best.

Most interesting transfernews from the last couple of days: Rodriguez saying he dreams of playing for Madrid. They could hijack both him and Falcao - would make them unbeatable but C-Ron wouldn't like it I guess.
- MB

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:
VideoKilledThe wrote:
Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Last season Spurs showed that you can't just buy a handful of players who look good in the latest edition of FIFA (EA) and then hope for the best.
Chadli doesn't look good in FIFA either.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

VideoKilledThe wrote:The most conceded bunch of fucks you'll ever meet. One of my friends, who is just a casual soccer fan, was absolutely convinced that Mexico had won MULTIPLE World Cups despite everyone telling him he was wrong, and refused to back down until we googled it. Best they've ever done is quarterfinals, and both times they were the host country.
You don't need a rzn to dislike someone, but don't put the actions of your idiot friend on the rest of us.
Besides, if you're going to hate on the ignorant, there are plenty in Uncle Sam's manufactured army.
You want to talk about conceited, lot of people running around in 'Merica scarves don't know the first thing about the game either.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Oh no doubt. Americans are probably the most insufferable bunch of homers in the world, and will support anything if it gives us a chance to chant USA USA USA! You gotta appreciate the enthusiasm tho, even if it's from your retarded neighbor who doesn't understand what offsides is, or the difference between a fk n a pk.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Diving on a free kick...now I've seen it all.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

What a nutty finish

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Lets get it

PEACE

Panama

Post by Panama »

The US is just hanging on

Panama

Post by Panama »

Tim Fucking Howard!

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

getting out shot 17-3
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Panama

Post by Panama »

capable_keL wrote:getting out shot 17-3

Almost stole it, right at the end tho

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Tim Howard tho

PEACE

Panama

Post by Panama »

US give the early goal again ....just like 2010

hustler

Post by hustler »

lol it was inevitable
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

Panama

Post by Panama »

hustler wrote:lol it was inevitable
we can dream, can't we?

hustler

Post by hustler »

FUCK YA. hahaha bitchass howard. fuck that faggot.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

Panama

Post by Panama »

Fuck yeah!