World Cup '14 - Official Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Comedy Quaddafi

Re: World Cup '14 - Official Thread

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Not mad at it. Argentina - Holland should be a good one.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Comedy Quaddafi

The praise LVG receives is completely overboard. You'd think it was him saving those penalties.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:
VideoKilledThe wrote:Can't say I am a fan of his, but what a cheap shot on Neymar. Yes, he is a diving faggot of the Robben elk, but that doesn't give you free reign to do a flying knee that breaks a guys back. Not cool.
But apparently its way way way way WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY worse to give someone a little bite they recover from in 5 seconds.

Makes sense imo.
Biting someone is only slightly better than spitting on them imo. It's savage behavior that deserves to be punished severely. I know it's a regular part of your daily life, but it's pretty fucked up for everyone else.

While the Colombian player did foul Neymar, I think it's a huge reach to say he was intentionally trying to take him out of the game and/or fracture his spine. So yeah, the Suarez incident is way worse. Clear intent to bite someone vs. a hard foul that happened to lead to an injury.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

LVG deserves the praise he's getting if only because he would have been heavily criticized if the Netherlands had lost the shootout. He clearly made the right move there. I think Krul dove the correct way on almost every kick.

Predictable semis draw. I suppose the talent is there for Brazil if someone really steps up, but not having Neymar or Silva means that Brazil are pretty much fucked right now. Would be a great story if Brazil make it through, but I'm going with Germany.

Argentina/Netherlands should probably be the final, I think they've consistently been the two best teams in the tournament. Have to go with Argentina being that they're in South America, and it's time for Messi to secure his place amongst the all-timers with a World Cup win. Wouldn't shock me if Holland won though, they're a veteran team that's on it's last legs with the group of guys it's got. Would be huge for Argentina if Di Maria is out.

So Germany vs. Argentina in the final with Argentina winning it all is my prediction.

Comedy Quaddafi

dp
Last edited by Comedy Quaddafi on Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- MB

Comedy Quaddafi

jamrage wrote:Biting someone is only slightly better than spitting on them imo. It's savage behavior that deserves to be punished severely. I know it's a regular part of your daily life, but it's pretty fucked up for everyone else.
I'm saying there should be a reasonable and proportionate punishment that fits the crime. Instead smallminded and uptight people are acting hysterical over something that is - objectively speaking - inconsequential and irrelevant to the course of the game. You can either look at it through the prism of your petty little emotions and need to villify other people and swing hayforks (Suarez being a perfect target of mass-hysteria), or you can take it for what it really is; an entertaining incident in a boring game which can be dealt with according to the rules already in place (3 match ban).

Plenty of other people engage in violent conduct that isn't related to any attempt to tackle, Pepe and Song are two other examples from this WC.
- MB

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

jamrage wrote:
Comedy Quaddafi wrote:
VideoKilledThe wrote:Can't say I am a fan of his, but what a cheap shot on Neymar. Yes, he is a diving faggot of the Robben elk, but that doesn't give you free reign to do a flying knee that breaks a guys back. Not cool.
But apparently its way way way way WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY worse to give someone a little bite they recover from in 5 seconds.

Makes sense imo.
While the Colombian player did foul Neymar, I think it's a huge reach to say he was intentionally trying to take him out of the game and/or fracture his spine.
I feel it was clearly an intentional foul, not saying he meant to break Neymar's back, certainly his frail frame played a role in that, but a flying upward swinging knee is NOT a football play given the circumstances. Zero intention of playing the ball, simply was playing to hack down a guy who was trapping the ball.

I was really hoping Alexis Sanchez would come to Pool, seeing him at Arsenal next year will be really tough. Still a long way before the window closes tho.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

I'm drooling over the prospect of an in-form Sanchez leading the attack. Even though I was high on Aurier (especially after his display in the first few games of the Cup) I welcome the addition of Debuchy as well. Brings some much needed toughness. Also continued rumors of Griezmann but we'll see.

Vermaelen on the outs and I don't like the rumor of Campbell being loaned to Newcastle.

Kroos to Madrid and Ashley Cole to Roma.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:
jamrage wrote:Biting someone is only slightly better than spitting on them imo. It's savage behavior that deserves to be punished severely. I know it's a regular part of your daily life, but it's pretty fucked up for everyone else.
I'm saying there should be a reasonable and proportionate punishment that fits the crime. Instead smallminded and uptight people are acting hysterical over something that is - objectively speaking - inconsequential and irrelevant to the course of the game. You can either look at it through the prism of your petty little emotions and need to villify other people and swing hayforks (Suarez being a perfect target of mass-hysteria), or you can take it for what it really is; an entertaining incident in a boring game which can be dealt with according to the rules already in place (3 match ban).

Plenty of other people engage in violent conduct that isn't related to any attempt to tackle, Pepe and Song are two other examples from this WC.
Obviously players that make violent attacks in games should also be dealt severe punishments.

I think you're solely looking at the physical ramifications of the biting here (which are obviously relatively minor physically compared to a scissor tackle), and completely discounting the meaning behind the bite. It's a very demeaning act to perpetrate against someone, it goes far beyond the physical effects of the teeth marks on the skin.

To bring up what I mentioned earlier, what do you think should happen to players that spit in someone else's face or call someone a racial slur? Neither of these are physically traumatizing, but are things that can produce tremendous mental anguish in people.

If someone continues to commit the same infractions over and over is it not wise to increase the punishment to try to get them to stop that behavior?

Comedy Quaddafi

jamrage wrote:It's a very demeaning act to perpetrate against someone, it goes far beyond the physical effects of the teeth marks on the skin.
Not so if you look at this specific case. IDK if you saw it but Chiellini tweeted Suarez that all was forgiven and that he thought the punishment was way too harsh. He said he didn't care about the bite, what bothered him was losing the game. I think I would feel the exact same way so clearly there's no universal reaction.
To bring up what I mentioned earlier, what do you think should happen to players that spit in someone else's face or call someone a racial slur? Neither of these are physically traumatizing, but are things that can produce tremendous mental anguish in people.

I honestly don't know. I'm just looking at this situation and the OTT punsihment and reactions in this case ("He should go to prison/he should be banned for life"). It's extremely tough to call how racism in particular should be punished. But I also think that breaking someone's legs/spine is worse than calling a person a "black cunt" (to quote Terry). I realize that opinion is offensive to many but it's common sense really.
If someone continues to commit the same infractions over and over is it not wise to increase the punishment to try to get them to stop that behavior?
In a legal system where you are dealing with thieves and murderers; sure. But this simply isn't that serious, the way I see it.
- MB

Comedy Quaddafi

stupidregister wrote:I'm drooling over the prospect of an in-form Sanchez leading the attack. Even though I was high on Aurier (especially after his display in the first few games of the Cup) I welcome the addition of Debuchy as well. Brings some much needed toughness. Also continued rumors of Griezmann but we'll see.

Vermaelen on the outs and I don't like the rumor of Campbell being loaned to Newcastle.

Kroos to Madrid and Ashley Cole to Roma.
Arteta-Ramsey-Ozil
Walcott-Sanchez-Cazorla

A midfield and an attack the size of your avg kindergarden-pupil. We would get bullied by every team with a manager worth his salt. Either Wenger brings in a physical midfielder or this won't end well - we'd probably have to have Giroud in the team.

Not convinced we will get Sanchez anyway.

But Debuchy seems like an adequate replacement.
- MB

Guun

Post by Guun »

Germany going with the same lineup, it'd be nice to see Klose get the record vs Brazil.
Neuer - Lahm (C), Boateng, Hummels, Höwedes - Schweinsteiger, Khedira - Müller, Kroos, Özil - Klose

Brazil lineup:
César - Maicon, Dante, Luiz, Marcelo - Gustavo, Fernandinho, Hulk, Oscar, Bernard - Fred

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Man hold up

PEACE

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

that brazillian chick can't believe it, but could get it in her headdress
moved by duck muscles

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

LilLeftBrain wrote:that brazillian chick can't believe it, but could get it in her headdress
Yeah, this.

Also, lol @ game

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

PEACE

Req

Post by Req »

Neymar back for the final yall!!!!!
F.U. MOOLAH

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

Req wrote:Neymar back for the final yall!!!!!

:lol:
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Germany just scored again

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

So brutal, but lol @ adults actually crying about a team losing.

Not only do they get their shit pushed in, but Klose gets the all-time goal lead against Brazil, stealing the crown from a Brazilian. What a horrible game by Brazil both tactically and from an effort standpoint. Khedira and Kroos played so well, but this was as much about Brazil playing horribly without two of their best players as it was Germany being an amazing team. Sucks they have to play the third place game now, I'm sure they'd much rather disappear into oblivion.

Still like Argentina tomorrow. I think Germany loses to Argentina, but they have a great chance at beating Holland.

Req

Post by Req »

jamrage wrote:Still like Argentina tomorrow. I think Germany loses to Argentina, but they have a great chance at beating Holland.
opposite for me

i think Argentina are the weakest team left

*Argentina wins tm 3-0*

:sad:
F.U. MOOLAH

wheels

Post by wheels »

SHOOTOUT

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Snoozefest.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Gotta hope the final is better than that. It's a shame the semis were so shitty, albeit for two completely different reasons.

Anybody got the odds on the World Cup Final? I'm curious if Germany will be favored after that beating they put on Brazil or if Argentina will because they're in South America. I might be persuaded to place a wager on the game to make thing interesting.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Nazis got this.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

Jayou Ayen wrote:Nazis got this.

Which ones?

Req

Post by Req »

drobizhek wrote:

Which ones?
:lol: Hitler mad conflicted in his villa.
F.U. MOOLAH

Comedy Quaddafi

jamrage wrote:Gotta hope the final is better than that. It's a shame the semis were so shitty, albeit for two completely different reasons.

Anybody got the odds on the World Cup Final? I'm curious if Germany will be favored after that beating they put on Brazil or if Argentina will because they're in South America. I might be persuaded to place a wager on the game to make thing interesting.
Roughly speaking you can double your money by betting on Germany and triple it if you bet on Argentina or a draw.

Germany or a draw for me. But I'm not completely sure which.

Wonder about the bronze-match too. Will Brazil be motivated or demoralized?
- MB

Mercuthio

Post by Mercuthio »

Req wrote:
drobizhek wrote:

Which ones?
:lol: Hitler mad conflicted in his villa.
:rofl: