World Cup '14 - Official Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Comedy Quaddafi

Re: World Cup '14 - Official Thread

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Great gifs w/ Sanchez. What a guy http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ke-3837283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if he can be our Suarez. Perhaps Wenger might play him in the same way Rodgers played Suarez w/ Sturridge. Impossible to tell at this point.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Bummed that Pool missed out on Sanchez.

With Suarez as good as gone Pool really needed to sign someone world class upfront to play along side Sturridge, Alexis was that guy. I liked the Lambert signing with him being our 3rd striker, for cup games and rotation, not as a starter. Still lots of time left in the window so we'll see what happens.

In recent years clubs who sold their best player have not fared well the next year, even despite big spending. 1 great player can be a difference maker more than 3 or 4 good players can, especially when you're talking about a goal scorer.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Thrilled about the Sanchez move. It's clear he's a guy willing to shoulder the load and brings the physical and mental toughness this club needs. Plus he's got that direct attacking style that I'm so sick of missing out on.

Legit concerns about the lack of size up front and steel in the midfield. Remy would be a welcome addition and like I said before, I like the Debuchy move a lot but Ozil, Walcott, Wilshere are too fragile, especially mentally, for my liking.

Also, I'm buying the Arsenal 3rd kit, IDGAF what anyone says.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comedy Quaddafi

There is a considerable gap between Liverpool, United, Spurs and Arsenal, City, Chelsea right now. But its very premature of course.

Liverpool had to sell Suarez because their squad is threadbare and 5+ signings were needed to cope with having to play CL. None of their signings convince me, but I'm sure none of them are that bad either. It's a real problem that they don't have any worldclassplayers and probably can't attract any. They will have to make up for it with teameffort, but that can only take you so far. Esp with that defense.

United have bought some expensive unproven players. Surely LVG will bring in some more people but United's problems can't be fixed over the course of a summer.

Spurs are laying low and rightly so. They need to figure out what their best formation is and add one or two quality youngsters or want-aways.

Chelsea had a monsterwindow so far and will probably start the season as favorites.

City are probably waiting to see what to do with Yaya and who they can offload. Brought in 3 players mostly for depth it appears. Not sure what to make of them at this stage.

Arsenal could be on a real spending spree after the 10-year plan has ended and the finances are sorted. The holes @ GK and RB are soon to be filled and then the real question arises: can we get a topclass CM or a topclass ST or both? Wenger is very cautious of changing too much at the same time so who knows. Ideally I want Khedira and Balotelli - both realistic options who should have a reasonable pricetag.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Spurs are laying low and rightly so. They need to figure out what their best formation is and add one or two quality youngsters or want-aways
Spurs have major issues. Back 4 is atrocious. The market on Lovren seems to be insane right now. Dawson is on his way out. Vergtonghen wants out. Still have no LB. Kaboul is always injured. Back 4 of Naughton-Rose/Vertonghen/Chiriches/Walker is hilariously dreadful.

Super happy Lloris reupped, but he's going to be left out to dry too often again.

Davies from Swansea seems plausible, but can we solidify the FB's up with Ricardo Rodriguez and Aurier? Pretty sure they made a bid for Stones, which was ultimately rejected but wouldn't have done anything anyway.

Obviously Eriksen is my god right now and I still think Lamela has a lot to offer, but I'm not looking forward to this campaign. Poch has his work cut out.

Levy/Baldini will probably just add two more midfielders. FML.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Liverpool had to sell Suarez because their squad is threadbare and 5+ signings were needed to cope with having to play CL. None of their signings convince me, but I'm sure none of them are that bad either. It's a real problem that they don't have any worldclassplayers and probably can't attract any. They will have to make up for it with teameffort, but that can only take you so far. Esp with that defense.
Can't complain about 75m, but losing Suarez hurts big time. Of the 3 official signing, Lambert, Emre, Lallana, only the latter looks posed to crack the starting lineup so it's hard to really be convinced by guys signed to be squad players. Even of the two names being speculated at the moment, Origi and Lazar, one will be loaned back to Lille for a year and the other is an unproven 20 y/o gamble at 25m. And having said all that the defense hasn't been addressed.

Having completed the Suarez deal before bringing in a replacement the asking prices being quoted for Pool have just gone waaay up. Hell with 75m we could buy TWO Andy Carrolls!

To me it's City and Chelsea. With Deigo Costa Chelsea are clear cut favorites, if you could guarantee me that Aguero would start 30+ league games for City I would say it's neck and neck but dude is seriously injury proned, and a big difference maker for City. Arsenal look like the 3rd CL team, with United, Pool, Spurs fighting it out for that 4th spot. But like you said it's still really early, let's let the dust settle some more. Big spending, and big signings for all the clubs are yet to come.
Last edited by VideoKilledThe on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comedy Quaddafi

Positive A wrote: Spurs have major issues. Back 4 is atrocious. The market on Lovren seems to be insane right now. Dawson is on his way out. Vergtonghen wants out. Still have no LB. Kaboul is always injured. Back 4 of Naughton-Rose/Vertonghen/Chiriches/Walker is hilariously dreadful.

Super happy Lloris reupped, but he's going to be left out to dry too often again.

Davies from Swansea seems plausible, but can we solidify the FB's up with Ricardo Rodriguez and Aurier? Pretty sure they made a bid for Stones, which was ultimately rejected but wouldn't have done anything anyway.

Obviously Eriksen is my god right now and I still think Lamela has a lot to offer, but I'm not looking forward to this campaign. Poch has his work cut out.

Levy/Baldini will probably just add two more midfielders. FML.
CB's are really expensive right now (Luiz going for crazy money + the rumored amounts for Lovren and Mangala). But Rodriguez and Aurier would be fantastic, bit awkward with the latter being a Gooner. One thing Pinocchio did well at Soton was organizing defense and making them press well. I guess Spurs are set in midfield and attack, since most of the players in those positions signed recently.

More clubs should be looking at the deals you can get in Serie A with players like Cerci, Candreva, Ogbonna, Pa... (the funny-looking defender), Samarani (was that his name?) and others. Many of the cool Colombian players are from Serie A too.
Last edited by Comedy Quaddafi on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- MB

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Moreno from Sevilla, and a CB who is comfortable on the ball, and the Pool backline would be fine.

Comedy Quaddafi

Rodriguez is the one to go for IMO.
- MB

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

You mean... James Rodriguez??? :gyeah: :gyeah: :gyeah:

kidding of course. (a guys gotta dream)

alpha

Post by alpha »

So who you guys going for?

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

So Arsenal signed Alexis Sanchez, rumored to get Khedira and/or Sven Bender AND now has Puma kits? Nice little summer, fuckers.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

The ref in today's game was possibly the worst of the whole tournament. Literally got every big decision wrong. Hopefully the final isn't spoiled by a similar performance.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

I know we're prone to hyperbole here in the SB but when you say he literally got everything wrong, that's actually not an exaggeration. It's absolutely true.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

god i'm so ready for kickoff already.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Argentina looking the more dangerous side, despite conceding possession.

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

Germans are growing into the game though. Too close to call.

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

Also, Howedes at risk for second yellow. Doesn't have pace to deal with Lavezzi/Messi overload. Something to watch for.

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

Last thing: ARG going to extra time last game + GER with extra day of rest. You could see ARG tire and GER grow into game. Fatigue could play factor especially if game goes to past 90.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Germany just aren't creating chances tho. Looks Argentinas to lose.

Lol @ Higuain having an 80m buy out clause.

Req

Post by Req »

this game blows
F.U. MOOLAH

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Club futbol> Country

I'd much rather watch an EPL weekend over these knockout stage games.

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

Argentina is looking exhausted out there. Not sure if they can hold on. Kun has been so underwhelming this tournament. Messi visibly upset with him after he slipped on a through ball. Higuain was really wasteful this game as well.

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

Palacios... Ugh...

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

This game DOES suck. I can't believe how pathetic Germany has been. I mean they're not going up against Brazil again but come on, get a shot on goal, geez. Argentina defense has been rock solid but they had their chances to ice this one early so fuck them too.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Snoozefest.

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

I'm enjoying myself but I could see how most neutrals wouldn't be super pumped. Still, I can think of worse ways to spend an afternoon and some of the tactical and selection choices I find interesting. If Argentina loses it's down to a lack of squad depth and their forwards having a really shitti tournament aside from Messi. They've been surprisingly solid in the back and midfield. Germany can't break them down. Mascherano has been such a boss all tournament long.

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

What a goal

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Deserving champions.

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

If Brazil knows what's good for them they'll exact the type of changes that Germany did at the turn of the century. It was that overhaul of philosophy and youth development that brought them this trophy.