World Cup '14 - Official Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

VideoKilledThe

Re: World Cup '14 - Official Thread

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Was Messi playing CM? lol What a totally selfish FK to end the game, never gonna beat Neuer from that distance and that angle.

Wish Mascher was still wearing Liverpool Red, what a great, great interceptor of the ball. Would be my number 1 choice to repeatedly kick the shit out of the opposing teams best player.

Speaking of Neuer, he was outstanding all tournament. I kept thinking one of these times when he rushed out he was going to get caught, but he was dominant. Easily best GK in the world.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Also, this is a weakened Germany side that played without Reus, Gundogan, and Khedira. Their best is yet to come.

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

Messi hate is so ridiculous.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Pssh not at all. He had an ok tournament. His best moment was what?

His 90th min winner against Iran?

Completely disappeared in the knockout stages.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

I thought it was actually a very interesting game and Argentina had quite a few more chances that they just didn't take advantage of. Argentina's defense did amazingly well, but it came at the price of their offense. Aguero, Messi, and the rest just weren't able to get it going, and Germany had that moment of brilliance from Schurrle and Goetze. Higuain is going to remember that miss for a very long time.

Great tournament overall though, I really enjoyed it.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

VideoKilledThe wrote:Pssh not at all. He had an ok tournament. His best moment was what?

His 90th min winner against Iran?

Completely disappeared in the knockout stages.
No one gets less of the credit and more of the blame than him. He had four goals in the first few games, then when Di Maria went out he was tasked with dropping deeper to orchestrate play and initiate breaks. Not only that but just the threat of him visibly shook the Dutch and Germans who often had three players within 5 yards of him at all times. The amount of chances he directly created in the final was minimal but his mere presence alters the way a defense plays and contributed to everything they got. If Higuain or Palacios finishes their golden opportunity I seriously doubt people are expressing these doubts. It IS ridiculous to tie one players legacy (in this case, within a WC) to two other players not even hitting the target in scoring situations.

As for moments, he had the Iran goal, the Bosnia goal, the best free kick of the tournament against Nigeria, and the best ball of the tournament to Di Maria in the Belgium game. The injury to Di Maria subsequently pulled him farther from goal and made him less involved in finishing moves, and likely colors your opinion of his World Cup. It wasnt totally vintage Messi, but there's no freaking way they come even close to an Extra Time loss in the final without an enormous contribution from him.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

True, without him Argentina don't make it to the Final. But the media's obsession with, "he's the greatest of all time" and "he's better than Maradona" is nauseating. The GOAT is non-existent in the biggest final of his life? I don't think so. Yes, Di Maria was out, but he was playing around Higuain, Kun, Lavezzi, in front of Mascher, in one of the most organzied Argentina defenses ever, far far from a talentless squad. To think he is beyond criticism is silly, zero shots on goal in the Final.

Messi was undeserving of the golden ball, it was James Rodriguez all day, but Fifa is so on his dick they can't let it go even in defeat.

Notice the opponents you just mentioned...Iran, Bosnia, Nigeria...please remember that the next time you go to dump on Ronaldo for scoring a hat trick against lesser competition.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Laughable that he won Golden Ball. He wasn't even the best player on his team let alone the whole tournament.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

Let's be real Neuer shoud've won that too.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

I'm with VKT.

Not hating on Messi at all, but there's no way he deserves that. You usually don't pick someone from a team that didn't make it to the semis, which kinda excludes James. But there's plenty of Germans to choose from; Hummels, Neuer, Lahm, Schweini - one of those guys perhaps. Or even Robben who carried his team and actually did what many expected of Messi.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Poldi is the coolest guy in football. He walks around with a constant grin on his face - it's almost eerie. Tons of stories about him doing nutty stuff in training too. One of the world's best finishers but hes useless in general play : (
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Riri and ze germans

also, assuming that schweinsteiger jersey is the players sigs it could fetch a small fortune.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Bielsa went to Marseille, huh? Wicked. Is that :lastweek: or something?

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Welp. Spurs new kits are hiddeous. Under Armor blows. Back to puma plz.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Positive A wrote:Welp. Spurs new kits are hiddeous. Under Armor blows. Back to puma plz.
I feel the same way about the Liverpool kits, I refuse to buy Warrior anything. Nike, Adidas, puma plz.

Also, Jordan Ibe has looked absolutely electric in preseason.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Positive A wrote:Welp. Spurs new kits are hiddeous. Under Armor blows. Back to puma plz.
Shit is horrendous.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

Eh the all black joints look better irl, but still looks like a championship strip. World Cup was fun from what I remember, too fd up from surgery to remember the first week though.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

New season thread?

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

New season thread?

Req

Post by Req »

VideoKilledThe wrote:New season thread?
done

http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtop ... 0&t=136237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
F.U. MOOLAH