Official European Football 2014-15 Regular Season Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

zombie

Re: Official European Football 2014-15 Regular Season Thread

Post by zombie »

true.

zombie

Post by zombie »

BARCA!! YES

Ending was getting a little crazy, naturally.

i'd love to actually hear what players are saying to eachother on the pitch.

Neymar is a little bitch though. I really wish Messi let that Atleti dude go toward him. I wanted to see what he was going to do.

zombie

Post by zombie »

And I'm sure ROnaldo is super happy he got his poaching goals/hat trick.

he will sleep very well tonight knowing he got most goals rather than winning any team trophies

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

chump change wrote:it's a pretty decent retirement plan.. but the league is building up pretty well..
and these guys def help ticket sales
To be fair they've been doing it for years. Bobby Moore, Harry Redknapp etc.

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Mackems safe. I reckon Hull will do it!

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Just make sure you guys handle Newcastle. The whole world is rooting for you to crush them.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Liverpool still have a chance of not making the Europa League. Tottenham have a better chance of avoiding it of course, but they can't feel too sure considering how hard Liverpool have been working to drop points recently - they're in great form if you look at it like that. Southampton should be safe since they're playing City.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

stupidregister wrote:Just make sure you guys handle Newcastle. The whole world is rooting for you to crush them.
West Ham actually have an OK record against Newcastle, plus Sam Allardyce hates them. Apparently he has a villa in Spain called St James - named because he bought it with his Newcastle pay off.

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Liverpool still have a chance of not making the Europa League. Tottenham have a better chance of avoiding it of course, but they can't feel too sure considering how hard Liverpool have been working to drop points recently - they're in great form if you look at it like that. Southampton should be safe since they're playing City.
We're also in the running for this!

mud

Post by mud »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:
stupidregister wrote:Just make sure you guys handle Newcastle. The whole world is rooting for you to crush them.
West Ham actually have an OK record against Newcastle, plus Sam Allardyce hates them. Apparently he has a villa in Spain called St James - named because he bought it with his Newcastle pay off.

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Liverpool still have a chance of not making the Europa League. Tottenham have a better chance of avoiding it of course, but they can't feel too sure considering how hard Liverpool have been working to drop points recently - they're in great form if you look at it like that. Southampton should be safe since they're playing City.
We're also in the running for this!
Y'all are just under 4/1 to win this game!

I think it's the bet of the season and have put 50 quid on it.

Carver's Newcastle are worse than Jewell's Derby and as you said already Fat Sam will be well up for it.
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

1 point from a possible 30 isn't it? They are so bad.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Adios to that 50 pounds, it's a shame Newcastle managed to stay up. Good for Pardew though, I think it shows how well he did with the shit he had.

Arsenal deserved a trophy after the season they had, they were definitely the second best team during the second half of the season. Spurs did as well as they could have expected. The emergence of Harry Kane as a top class striker was a nice story. Their defense is still suspect, they need to shore things up there as well as get another striker. It's looking more and more like they're going to lose Lloris, which would be a huge loss for the club.

Liverpool will be interesting to watch in the offseason. They did well despite losing a top five player in Suarez and not getting much from the players they brought in to replace him. Losing Sterling would really hurt them next season. City are old as fuck, and Chelsea aren't getting any younger either. I'm interested to see how Bournemouth and Watford will do.

Thankfully we only have to wait a couple months for next season.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Comedy Quaddafi

Saturday was crazy with 4 major cupfinals in the same evening. Should spread them out over the weekend IMO.

Arsenal made it look like a routine win @ the Emirates. Most assured performance in a FA final I've ever seen. So happy for my guys Theo and Alexis - hope to see them play together more next season.

Not sure what our main priorities should be in the summer. I don't really trust our goalkeepers and would like a new striker but no one proven and better than Giroud is available, I think.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

jamrage wrote:Liverpool will be interesting to watch in the offseason. They did well despite losing a top five player in Suarez and not getting much from the players they brought in to replace him. Losing Sterling would really hurt them next season. City are old as fuck, and Chelsea aren't getting any younger either. I'm interested to see how Bournemouth and Watford will do.
If the rumors are true, and Jurgen Klopp wants to manage Pool I would gladly push BR out the door. BR's lineup decisions and man management left a lot to be desired this year.

1. His handling of Balotelli. You knew from Day 1 what you were getting with Balo. Once Sturridge went out, Balo was head and shoulders the most talented forward on the roster, and should have been handed consistent first team minutes. Instead BR trashed him in the media, ignored his requests to play him upfront with a strike partner, and complained that he didn't fit the pressing style of play. If that's how you want to play fine, but then why the fuck did we buy him? And Rickie Lambert for that matter, who is even less mobile.

2. His handling of Sterling, even before all the contract talk, Sterling played multiple games as a right wing back? The club's best attacking player, in a year you're struggling for goals, is playing wing back?????? So other people who aren't as talented can play in his most natural position. He also played as a lone striker, a role he struggled with mightily as his hold up play isn't his strong suit and he obviously isn't winning shit in the air. Honestly I can't knock the guy for wanting to leave, and if a big offer came in for him (40-50m range) I'd sell.

3. Last summer, Ibe was one of the best players in pre-season. Anyone can see he has the physical traits to play at a high level, strength pace skill on the ball...so what does BR do? Loans him out for the first half of the year. Once he came back he was one of the brightest players every time he played.

4. His use of Emre Can. Can has the physicality the team has been lacking, so where does he play him? Right back, or as a CB in a 3 man defense. Can is a MIDFIELDER! He doesn't have the pace, or agility to mark people on the wing, and because of playing out of position led directly to him being in 1v1 situations against Eden Hazard, Di Maria, Aguero types.

Several players just simply don't deserve to be wearing a Liverpool shirt, Joe Allen, Lucas, Brad Jones, Kolo Toure, Rickie Lambert, Coates, Aspas.

Would love to see Sheyi Ojo, and Jerome Sinclair be given significant playing time next year, but they will probably get loaned out like Ibe despite being more talented than people being given first team opportunities.

My dream summer signing would be Alexandre Lacazette.

/rant.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

VideoKilledThe wrote:My dream summer signing would be Alexandre Lacazette.
PLEASE look at what Lyon's president said about the rumor. It's too good.

And it's hard to believe that any respectable manager would agree to be at Liverpool if they genuinely have a "transfer committee." It seems like they just shuffled in a bunch of random players and then wondered why it didn't work. All that Suarez money and not a single world-class signing. They basically pulled a Spurs.

I don't think Sterling is that good either, I would sell him while you have the chance. But they'd probably end up wasting that too.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Yeah I saw what he said on Twitter today about not having the means or the interest. He's right to a certain extent, hard to sell the ambition of the club when you don't qualify for CL.

It's not that I don't think Sterling is good, he's just not worth what they are asking for him or worth the wages that he is asking the club for. Tremendously talented, but at the end of the day he is just a winger, and one who can't finish or cross. I'd trade him for Lacazette in a heartbeat, but that would mean the club would have to sack up sell their most desirable asset, spend big, and convince a top player to come to the club. Which we all know isn't happening.

Also, I think it's worth being said that in modern football WHERE you play is as important to (some) players as WHO they play for. Liverpool just isn't a desirable place to live in comparison to other famous clubs from Milan, Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, London, Munich, these are megalopolis' that can offer players a lifestyle off the pitch that just isn't available at Liverpool. Culture, weather, bitches. When talking about the Sterling contract situation Henry said that, "We all know he is a Londoner" and it's true he is, I don't think that aspect of it can be overlooked. Mix in the fact that the club don't want to pay anywhere near top wages, aren't in CL, and don't have a marquee manager, and you are going to struggle to attract talent and you're going to struggle to retain talent.

Comedy Quaddafi

^ It matters but Manchester isn't exactly known to be a great city either, yet they (City, United) can attract the kind of players Liverpool want because of their cash and the promise of success money implies.

Arsenal are in a good position because of London and Wenger, but we can't compete directly for players with the teams from Manchester either - unless the player has a specific desire to be a part of the Arsenal-project (good steppingstone for younger players + other possible factors like, like I hope Alexis is telling his mate Vidal to come).

Not sure how much London matters to Sterling. I think City will test his resolve because they need homegrown players. If not I think both Arsenal and Chelsea would be willing to place a bid.
- MB

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Sterling should go and not feel two ways about it.

"It’s just ­football. It’s just the way it works. We were after a certain type of player that fits the profile and the mould of the way we play. So, I don’t have sympathy, no.”

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:^ It matters but Manchester isn't exactly known to be a great city either, yet they (City, United) can attract the kind of players Liverpool want because of their cash and the promise of success money implies.
Yep, the difference is they have international level managers and the wages, both Manchester clubs have no problem dishing out 100k-200k a week contracts, whereas Liverpool are stringing Raheem along @35k a week.

I think he stays one more year, signs a new contract for less than what he is asking but with a release clause, similar to what happened to Suarez, and leaves next summer.

It's football tho, you never know.

Comedy Quaddafi

The Sterling-saga has reached hysterical proportions because every pundit in the media is basically a Liverpool-fan. And pundit or not their fans tend to be a bit cult-like and entitled from what I gather and have seen.

Liverpool will want to sell him abroad but they're fucked unless RM or Barca come calling. That's why RVP is @ United right now, the cunt. But I agree that an extension and a gentleman's agreement is the most likely outcome unless Chelsea (most likely) throw a pile of cash @ Liverpool.
- MB

zombie

Post by zombie »

still laughing at that fifa official quoting a The Onion article LOL

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Sterling would seem to be too young a player to be successful abroad. He's too brash, and I felt like every time I watch him play he's whining or sulking about something.

I thought Can was very good for Liverpool despite playing out of position, and Ibe clearly has promise. They need a striker in the worst way.

My previous comments aside, I'd love it if Spurs made a play for Sterling. He's the kind of catalyst they need, and Coutinho would seem to have that role sewn up at Liverpool. I think Sterling can develop into a solid finisher; I've seen him score some nice goals, but he's still so young and needs to fill out physically. He'll never score headed goals, but there's no reason he can't get tons of assists and score 8-10 every year.

Again, Arsenal looked really great the second half of the season. We got to see how good they can be when Walcott and Wilshere are healthy, but as we all know the days when both of them will be on the pitch at the same time will be very limited next season. If Giroud is your best striker you'll never win the league, but if he's your second best you have a real shot. I'm sure Wenger will go back to the French soccer player factory and get some solid players that work well with his system. I feel like he's just cloning the same guy now: Monreal, Coq au vin etc.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Suck it, you pathetic mongrel.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Arsenal should have been second. Much better than City for basically all of 2015.

Who will be next FIFA president? Figo? GINOLA!?!?

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

the prince of jordan i would imagine

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

A 3 man midfield of Milner, Hendo, and Emre is not too shabby! Two try hards/engine, both underrated skillwise, and a beast holding. Or a diamond with Coutinho at the point.

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

obviously not the result i would have hoped for.. anyone besides Suarez.. ugh.. the guy spent 2/3rds of the second half on the ground.. I sincerely can't stand him lol..

couple of fouls/non-fouls that i didn't agree with but it was a hard played game.. messi is just too damn good..

Pogba played like he want's a bigger paycheck though.. i fear juventus will get dismantled in the off season

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

I am legitimately confused by Barcelona's popularity. How could you root for Suarez, Neymar and Dani Alves and feel good about yourself?

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

I would have much rather messi just scored directly on buffon than the ricochet going to suarez and him getting the easy finish.. then damn near running out of the stadium like he just scored from outside the box..

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

chump change wrote:I would have much rather messi just scored directly on buffon than the ricochet going to suarez and him getting the easy finish.. then damn near running out of the stadium like he just scored from outside the box..
You score the 2-1 in a Champions League final but you're not supposed to be happy because it was am easy tap in? Oh ok. If it would've happened to me I would've went ballistic.

Comedy Quaddafi

It must have been great for my man Luis. The rest of Barca can fuck off but I'm glad he got his title.

To be honest I'm done with hating Barcelona for all the things that make them so hate-worthy. At the end of the day you just have to consider yourself lucky that you get to see their front-trio work their magic with Iniesta pulling strings.

But for real: I'm fucking tired of the new footballer-look; Mohawk and ugly tattoos. Fucking Pogba looking like he got the end of a broom on the top of his head and Vidal and Neymar and their decorative little hair gardens.
- MB