2014 Fantasy Football Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

VideoKilledThe

2014 Fantasy Football Thread

Post by VideoKilledThe »

You know what it is, let's do this.

Here's my question. PPR Auction Keeper League.

My total budget is $300, do I keep Jimmy Graham at $51 dollars?

He scored over a 100 pts more than the next te, and slightly more than Calvin Johnson last year.

My other keeper options are

Keenan Allen $10
Antonio Brown $8
Andre Ellington $10
Gio Bernard $6
= $34

Basically keep 4, who do you cut? Keep in mind it will be an 8 to 10 team league, and top end talent is important.

wheels

Re: 2014 Fantasy Football Thread

Post by wheels »

With a $300 budget, keeping graham at 51 is a no brainer. Of those 5 I'd cut Ellington and pick up gerhart, sankey, or just re-up on Ellington if you want. Blow the rest of your budget on QB or a WR1, or both, and then load up on cheapies at RB to back up your top 2 guys.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Yeah I agree. I thought about how small the league is some more, and decided to do just like you said Wheels. We'll see though, its all about who else gets released.

wheels

Post by wheels »

I realize this thread won't pick up until all you faggots who are in leagues with each other complete your drafts, but can I get a co-sign on how thin running back is this year? I'm going RB-RB in the first two rounds and ending up with like, McCoy and Ellington. Shit is fucked. Last year I picked 5th or something and got Charles and McCoy.

Are you all just loading up on receiver and taking whoever as your RB2 or trying to snag somebody decent and then hope your shitty receivers hit?

alpha

Post by alpha »

I think it's just the evolution of the rb pos. More teams don't have a true star rb. But I think there can be value depending on how your draft goes.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

In snake drafts I'm praying for a top 5 pick to snag one of the elite backs, but if I draft towards the bottom of a 12 team league I'm hoping to get either Ball or Murray with my 1st or 2nd round pick. 6-10 range I'm targeting Calvin, Demaryius, Dez, or Jimmy Graham. I don't plan on going RB-RB in any league unless Lynch falls to the bottom of the 2nd round or if I can get Ball and Murray. I love Ellington in the 3rd, but if he's not there, I likely won't take an RB in the third either.

Round 4 I start considering guys like Vereen, Tate, Lamar Miller, and Bishop Sankey, but I'd prefer to take them 5th round or later.

Top end RB's are defintiely lacking though, I plan to use my flex on a WR/TE most weeks and fill my bench with a few high-upside backup RB's.

ric

Post by ric »

oddly enough i think the second level rbs emerge as some of the stronger non-premium players considering the way the passing game is becoming even more diffuse. like toby gerhart will be solid. ryan matthews will be solid. lamar miller will emerge. sproles is steal and will fall.

if you have a pick you want to horde as a gold nugget get deanthony thomas or carlos hyde. get jordan matthews.

@bengi
lamar miller is going to have a good year this year and so is mike wallace and so is ryan tannehill. im saying that if youre at the bottom of a shallow talent league youll probably consider miami players as steals once they get their shit set

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I agree with you on Miami to an extent, but not really with Wallace. I think Tanehill will continue to develop (and run more) this year, but his pea shooter arm can't take advantage of Wallace's greatest strength. They haven't connected on deep balls all camp and preseason either. I do think Charles Clay is a great value TE pick though.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Whats everyones thoughts on defenses this year?

wheels

Post by wheels »

unclebengi wrote:I don't plan on going RB-RB in any league unless Lynch falls to the bottom of the 2nd round or if I can get Ball and Murray.
I wouldn't really do it either, but in my main league I've got the second pick (10 man) and our scoring favors QBs more than the standard. I've pretty much conceded the top 3 quarterbacks, because I'm not taking Payton #2 overall and the other two will be gone by pick 19. So I can usually get a pretty good back and a top 7 or 8 receiver during the round 2/3 swing. I just don't feel comfortable waiting until the end of the 4th to draft my second running back because the guys who are taking their quarterbacks in rounds 1-3 will have snagged everybody decent by then.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

You could still get a bunch of high upside guys late though. Ahmad Bradshaw is going late as hell and he'll be the Colts best back if he's healthy. He'll see his first preseason action Saturday and I'll be watching closely. Already established I love Miller, Vereen, Tate, and Sankey. Joique Bell, Rashard Jennings, and Fred Jackson are also solid and Andre Williams, Devonta Freeman, Carlos Hyde, Terrence West, and Jeremy Hill are all high upside rooks.

If you can't get Ellington or another back you love in the 3rd, I'd stack my receivers and wait for backs knowing you really have one slot to fill as long as you handcuff your #1.

ric

Post by ric »

@ramen
this is my rankings of defenses worth paying attention to (sort of in order but STL will fucking murder this year if gregg williams presence means anything)

1st tier:
SEA/NeEn/PHI/KC/AZ/NeOr/CAR/STL/SF
2nd tier:
JAX/MIN/CLE/BAL/SD(/PIT)

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

I aint ever drafting SF, never have luck with them.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

i drafted ben tate as my #1 RB Toby gayheart #2

i took manning, AJ Green, and B Marshall first.. then grabbed 2 RBS

12 man league

how brutal or brilliant are my RB selections (consider my QB & WR supplements)

Not a PPR.. real scoring format
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

alpha

Post by alpha »

Man, I think once you get past the top 4 rbs it's a bit of luck and draft position. I'll defer to bengi and wheels tho, they know their shit.

ric

Post by ric »

@kel
Aj green + Marshall is sweet. Obv.
Ben Tate will rack yards and obviously their values are defense and run so good one
I personally think gerhart will be a solid back but it will probably take time to bear this out because they'll have so much to figure out in the pass game before the run game can be truly efficacious. Could be 5 games could be 10 but my gut tells me no more than 10. Even before then though they probably believe in running the ball so at minimum I think its gonna be fine. For what it's worth I'm gonna try to draft him

Dwight Strawberry

Post by Dwight Strawberry »

Had my first draft last night
10 Team League
Standard Scoring - No PPR

QB - Brees
RB - AP
RB - Doug Martin
WR - Andre Johnson
WR - C. Patterson
WR - T. Smith
TE - J. Whitten
DEF - Arizona
K - Crosby

BN - B. Sankey (RB)
BN - S Jax (RB)
BN - Andre Williams (RB)
BN - M. Colston (WR)
BN - R. Randle (WR)
BN - A. Boldin (WR)

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Left the draft after the 7th round so got screwed on my QB

QB's: Tannehill, Palmer
RB's: Marshawn Lynch, Arian Foster, Trent Richardson
WR's: Brandon Marshall, Keenan Allen, Victor Cruz, Michael Floyd, Mike Wallace
TE's: Gates, Green, Fleener
K: Tucker
Def: St. Louis
UBM CD COMING SOON

ric

Post by ric »

regular league
qb; r wilson, kaepernick
rb; a foster, f gore, m ingram
wr; b marshall, p harvin, m wallace, s watkins
te; a gates, m bennett
d; pats
k; novak

dynasty league inaugural draft (huge roster size, 8 team league)
qb; p rivers, cutler, b bortles
rb; r matthews, l miller, m ingram, dean thomas, t mason
wr; b marshall, a jeffrey, k allen, d amendola, k thompkins, t austin, m lee, a robinson
te; v davis, m bennett
d; phi d, jax d
k; gould
Last edited by ric on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Do you think Wilson will have a breakout year?
UBM CD COMING SOON

alpha

Post by alpha »

Yeah I don't get your draft, what pick did you start with?

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

ric wrote:regular league
qb; r wilson, kaepernick
rb; a foster, f gore, m ingram
wr; p harvin, m wallace, s watkins
te; a gates, m bennett
d; pats
k; novak

dynasty league inaugural draft (huge roster size, 8 team league)
qb; p rivers, cutler, b bortles
rb; r matthews, l miller, m ingram, dean thomas, t mason
wr; b marshall, a jeffrey, k allen, d amendola, k thompkins, t austin, m lee, a robinson
te; v davis, m bennett
d; phi d, jax d
k; gould
No offense, but both of those teams look terrible to me.

Who was your first picks in the top 1? And the second one should look like an all-star team with only 8 teams, right?

Dwight Strawberry

Post by Dwight Strawberry »

12 Team PPR
Pick 11

QB - Luck, Palmer
RB - Lynch, Ball, CJ2K, SJax, Pierce, Michael
WR - Garcon, T. Smith, K. Wright, Shorts, J. Gordon (Rd. 12)
TE - J. Thomas
DEF - Houston
K - Novak

Sumthin_Funky

Post by Sumthin_Funky »

10 - team league. had 6th pick

QB - Andrew Luck
RB - Zac Stacy, Shane Vereen, Ben Tate, Darren Mcfadden
WR - Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Keenan Allen, Wes Welker, Sammy Watkins, Anquan Boldin, Greg Jennings, Stevie Johnson, Doug Baldwin
TE - Martellus Bennett
DEF - Carolina
K - Stephen Gostkowski

typing this out I now realize just how many WRs I took, but I really don't feel the need to have two kickers, two defenses, or two QBs. I should have taken another TE, but I can always drop one or two of these guys anyway since I'll likely not use most of them the whole year anyway.

ric

Post by ric »

My friends don't respect my shit either but they are playing last year's game just like all the other knuckleheads (and the friend that gives me the most shit stole my team-based strategy to win last year and is doing it again this year and still giving me shit for it (which personally I see as a sign of fear competition and submission and thus do I put up with it)). They need to use the past to look forward. The most legit future picks that I didn't get were Carlos Hyde and Jordan Matthews.

I was pick 4 in regular and 7 in dynasty. There's a lot I could say so to keep things simple where do you think I went wrong? I will readily admit Ingram is mistake but that is rectifiable

Let me just put it like this; everybody laughed when I drafted Orton too and then he was top 5 stat qb that year and I won the championship my first year out

@tweak
Wilson will have breakout year. Look at the evolution of what's going on in Seattle.

alpha

Post by alpha »

You had the 4 the pick and didn't get a top 4 rb or a manning, Brady or megaton. That's what you did wrong bro. If you took foster or Wilson 4th those are guys you could've got with your 2nd pick.

ric

Post by ric »

@alpha
Got Marshall #4. Wilson rd 3 foster rd 2. Tron is probably going to have down year but that's irrelevant because I was going for the bears as a team but forte got picked before I could get him

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

ric wrote:@alpha
Got Marshall #4. Wilson rd 3 foster rd 2. Tron is probably going to have down year but that's irrelevant because I was going for the bears as a team but forte got picked before I could get him
:naswtf: :naswtf: :naswtf: :naswtf: :naswtf:

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

ric, on that first team there's not a single guy on your squad I would take before the third round. Mainly because I'd be able to get the same players in the third round or much later. Paying attention to ADP is critical in snake drafts, your strategy would actually work pretty well in auction drafts though because you could get a lot of those guys on the cheap.

Speaking of auction drafts, I'm trying out a few Yahoo Pro League auction drafts this year and had my first real $ auction draft on Sunday and I'm already kicking myself for not realizing how amazing auction drafts are. All the Pro Leagues are 10 team standard, 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, no flex and this is the team I came away with-

QB- Cam, Cutler
RB- Lacy, Lynch, Bradshaw, Ingram, Starks
WR- Dez, Keenan Allen, TY Hilton, Markus Wheaton, Mike Evans
TE- Zach Ertz

Which was great...until Yahoo's whole system fucked up on Sunday and screwed up countless leagues. Our rosters got jumbled and they couldn't fix it and all the Pro Leagues with drafts on Sunday got deleted. They had to give us a credit for another league instead of fixing shit, so, Vamoos, my illy squad is gone. I have another one tonight, so hopefully they got their shit together. On the bright side I got the experience of going through a high stakes auction draft for free and will be even more prepared for future auctions. Especially in a year like this year, it's the way to go. There's a big drop off after the top 5 backs IMO this year, but in an auction everyone gets a shot at them. If you know your shit and watch values, you can make a killing because there's always a bunch of valuable reserves you can get for a buck or two at the end of the draft. You can also nominate players that you think are overrated and watch your league spend their limited funds on those players while your preferred sleepers slip through the cracks and become value picks. It always sucks in snake drafts when the guy you want goes one or two picks ahead of you, you never have to worry about that in auctions.

ric

Post by ric »

@lifeless & bengi
What is wrong with Marshall #4? The idea that you could get him later than rd 2 means you are in clown ass league as dude is a top producer akin with tron. Everyone is looking at tron and Aj greens past two seasons and sucking their dicks so hard they are excluding Marshall. Dude had a backup qb operating the offense at like 60%ish efficacy for a lot of the year and still managed 1300 yds 13 tds