2014-15 Official NBA Season Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

naturalborn103

Re: 2014-15 Official NBA Season Thread

Post by naturalborn103 »

stupidregister wrote:
naturalborn103 wrote:Waiters can be good if you can convince him to not force bad shots. His catch and shoot %s and his open jumper %s last year were better then Beals. He just takes WAY more bad shots. For a rebuilding team you can take on a lot worse then Waiters.
That's like saying "if I can just convince Jay Cutler to not throw interceptions, he'd be a great QB. If I can just convince Scott Brooks to design an actual play, he'd be a great coach."

Guess what? They can't help themselves. This is who they are, it's part of their DNA. He's a chucker, he's always been and he always will be. When he's 45 playing pick up at the Y, he's going take terrible shots. In NBA 2k15, when he's practicing with his crew, he takes terrible shots. When he's out at the club on 9th street, and wants something to drink, he takes terrible shots. When he goes to the doctor to get his kids vaccinated...terrible shots.

He can give you instant offense off the bench, which is something he should only ever allowed to do but he's too stubborn and egotistical to ever develop a more well-rounded game. It's fine if that's who he is, just don't everyone get upset when in 5 years he's the same player he was today. He's like Melo, Dwight Howard, Tony Allen, Kyle Korver, etc etc. Some guys (John Wall, Paul Millsap, Brow) get better, add pieces to their game, evolve as players...some guys don't. This guy won't.
Look at what coaches (Byron Scott, Mike Brown, Blatt) Waiters has had so far in his career. Look at Monta Ellis since going to Dallas. Chuckers can change.

Most of examples you gave go against your point. Korver has gotten MUCH MUCH better over his career. Fun to hate on Howard, but his post game has gotten much better since early in his career. Melo has also became a much smarter player.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

naturalborn103 wrote:Hustler, again, for the 100th time, keep that bs out of here. Posts are being deleted.
Why?
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

varejao out for the year with torn achilles

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12076 ... n-achilles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Hayzoos wrote:
naturalborn103 wrote:Hustler, again, for the 100th time, keep that bs out of here. Posts are being deleted.
Why?
Because posting a picture that says "people lie, numbers dont" just takes up space, adds nothing, and is the tit for tat BS that does not belong in sports bar.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

naturalborn103 wrote:
stupidregister wrote:
naturalborn103 wrote:Waiters can be good if you can convince him to not force bad shots. His catch and shoot %s and his open jumper %s last year were better then Beals. He just takes WAY more bad shots. For a rebuilding team you can take on a lot worse then Waiters.
That's like saying "if I can just convince Jay Cutler to not throw interceptions, he'd be a great QB. If I can just convince Scott Brooks to design an actual play, he'd be a great coach."

Guess what? They can't help themselves. This is who they are, it's part of their DNA. He's a chucker, he's always been and he always will be. When he's 45 playing pick up at the Y, he's going take terrible shots. In NBA 2k15, when he's practicing with his crew, he takes terrible shots. When he's out at the club on 9th street, and wants something to drink, he takes terrible shots. When he goes to the doctor to get his kids vaccinated...terrible shots.

He can give you instant offense off the bench, which is something he should only ever allowed to do but he's too stubborn and egotistical to ever develop a more well-rounded game. It's fine if that's who he is, just don't everyone get upset when in 5 years he's the same player he was today. He's like Melo, Dwight Howard, Tony Allen, Kyle Korver, etc etc. Some guys (John Wall, Paul Millsap, Brow) get better, add pieces to their game, evolve as players...some guys don't. This guy won't.
Look at what coaches (Byron Scott, Mike Brown, Blatt) Waiters has had so far in his career. Look at Monta Ellis since going to Dallas. Chuckers can change.

Most of examples you gave go against your point. Korver has gotten MUCH MUCH better over his career. Fun to hate on Howard, but his post game has gotten much better since early in his career. Melo has also became a much smarter player.
Yeah, that Korver, Melo, Howard thing was weird as hell. Another thing that seperates Allen, Korver, Melo, and Howard from Waiters is that they know their identity in regards to the makeup of their teams. Waiters doesn't have the basketball IQ for that.

hustler

Post by hustler »

naturalborn103 wrote:
Hayzoos wrote:
Why?
Because posting a picture that says "people lie, numbers dont" just takes up space, adds nothing, and is the tit for tat BS that does not belong in sports bar.

stupidregs argument was that wiggins isn't one of the worst players in the league. my counterpoint to that was that the numbers dont lie. statistically speaking he actually is one of the worst. could i have just typed it instead of posting a picture? yes. but what difference does it make, im adding some flava. the site is fucking called PHILAFLAVA.

natty just has it out for me, its whatever. every third post is a 4 page essay from reason on the various ways he'd like to fellate wiggins, but a small picture from hustler is the big issue. smfh.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

hustler

Post by hustler »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
naturalborn103 wrote:
stupidregister wrote:

Yeah, that Korver, Melo, Howard thing was weird as hell. Another thing that seperates Allen, Korver, Melo, and Howard from Waiters is that they know their identity in regards to the makeup of their teams. Waiters doesn't have the basketball IQ for that.

what can we attribute these positive player changes to more though? coaching? or maturity? or a combination of both? its very difficult to quantify such things.

alpha

Post by alpha »

You attribute it to coaching and maturity. It's not rocket science.

And to call Wiggins one of the worst players in the league is just stupid.

This page fucking sucks

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

naturalborn103 wrote:Forget The Next LeBron, Andrew Wiggins May Not Be The Next James Posey
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/andr ... ron-james/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mostly posted that to troll reason. I still think he is too high on him, but 538 is a joke.

:lol:
Nets 2022

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

i havent watched any nba on espn until today, so i missed the fallout of the sage steele/bill simmons spat from earlier this year:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... -1.1905839" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the grantland bball hour is aight. ill check for it. but so far im liking steele/collins/rose as the countdown crew.

hustler

Post by hustler »

alpha wrote:You attribute it to coaching and maturity. It's not rocket science.

And to call Wiggins one of the worst players in the league is just stupid.

This page fucking sucks
did u even read my post? i already said coaching and maturity. ...but its hard to quantify such things, and another added wrinkle is the system and ways in which a player is being utilized. like in the nfl, how on certain teams u can put any RB in there and they will be successful. i compare that with a team like the spurs, where so-called "problem guys" like steven jackson can come in and be successful. i feel like you could put anyone on the spurs and they'd markedly improve, cause if they dont, pop just doesnt play them and they get shipped outa there with the quickness. i disagree with the sentiment that a chucker will always be a chucker. alot of these dudes are fucking pre-madonna bitch boys, who simply need to be smacked down. you take one bad shot? benched for the rest of the game. "you gon' learn today or you dont get to play."

melo has had terrible coaches in new york. i think his "improvement" is more due to maturity, and maybe playing on team USA with other great players as well as coach K. but i think hes always been a good and smart player, but just been forced to play hero ball all the time. he definitely actively focuses on taking more higher percentage shots now, though.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Westbrook bringing the heat in the second half
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Those Spurs jerseys look kind of cool with the name block.

hustler

Post by hustler »

could the kings plz hire mark jackson asap. my ears cant take much more of this. maybe they could hire reggie miller as assistant coach while their at it...

#WECANONLYHOPE

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

I know these guys are friends and all, and it's the East so who really gives a shit since they'll both be in the playoffs, but hugging and joking with the other team after losing the game sorta rubs me the wrong way. That's pretty #hottake-ish of me, but I don't like it.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:I know these guys are friends and all, and it's the East so who really gives a shit since they'll both be in the playoffs, but hugging and joking with the other team after losing the game sorta rubs me the wrong way. That's pretty #hottake-ish of me, but I don't like it.
it's pretty disgusting to watch, it never used to be like that.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Reason wrote:
naturalborn103 wrote:Forget The Next LeBron, Andrew Wiggins May Not Be The Next James Posey
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/andr ... ron-james/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mostly posted that to troll reason. I still think he is too high on him, but 538 is a joke.

anyone who posts 538 links should be banned, anyone who takes this garbage serious is a fucking moron.

I honestly think that may have been the worst article I've ever read. So they're basically assuming Wiggins will progress and improve at an average rate? The aging curve is complete bs.
:gayzoos: :gayzoos: :gayzoos: :gayzoos:
By simply just looking at the statistics of a 19 year old that is about 2 months into his rookie season of course you are going to get results like that. In fact, if that were the case, this entire draft class will be complete trash.

Hustler, even a dumbledorf like you should know better: The stat of comparing what he could be giving us at age 22 if he was a rookie at age 22 instead of 19? :retard: This is the problem with advanced stats... they tell a story that isn't there. He's a 19 year old rookie playing for a team starting 4 guys under the age of 23. Find me a comparison to that and I'll listen.

And no I don't like the comparisons to Lebron or Kobe either... but to say that Wiggins is one of the worst players in the league using this table: http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... vanced::28 is ridiculous. That table also shows Kyle Lowry better than Lebron James and Tyson Chandler, Kyle Korver, and Danny Green as top 15 players. Also my beloved Gorgui is just one spot below that bum Kevin Love... :larry: CLE should have traded for him instead!

Give me a break with this nonsense.

Way to ruin the thread on Christmas

alpha

Post by alpha »

Dubs/clips will save Christmas. Believe that

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

capable_keL wrote:
Reason wrote:

anyone who posts 538 links should be banned, anyone who takes this garbage serious is a fucking moron.

I honestly think that may have been the worst article I've ever read. So they're basically assuming Wiggins will progress and improve at an average rate? The aging curve is complete bs.
:gayzoos: :gayzoos: :gayzoos: :gayzoos:
By simply just looking at the statistics of a 19 year old that is about 2 months into his rookie season of course you are going to get results like that. In fact, if that were the case, this entire draft class will be complete trash.

Hustler, even a dumbledorf like you should know better: The stat of comparing what he could be giving us at age 22 if he was a rookie at age 22 instead of 19? :retard: This is the problem with advanced stats... they tell a story that isn't there. He's a 19 year old rookie playing for a team starting 4 guys under the age of 23. Find me a comparison to that and I'll listen.

And no I don't like the comparisons to Lebron or Kobe either... but to say that Wiggins is one of the worst players in the league using this table: http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... vanced::28 is ridiculous. That table also shows Kyle Lowry better than Lebron James and Tyson Chandler, Kyle Korver, and Danny Green as top 15 players. Also my beloved Gorgui is just one spot below that bum Kevin Love... :larry: CLE should have traded for him instead!

Give me a break with this nonsense.

Way to ruin the thread on Christmas
Sorry, didn't think anyone would take the article serious. Just expected to get a lol out of rzn. As I said, 538 SUCKS. You could 5 basketball articles in a row from them and not once have any mention of actual basketball. They (and all the others like them) give advanced stats a bad name.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

yea sites like 538 or articles like the one you posted of nate duncan's make me wanna start analytical basketball writing
Nets 2022

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

naturalborn103 wrote: Sorry, didn't think anyone would take the article serious. Just expected to get a lol out of rzn. As I said, 538 SUCKS. You could 5 basketball articles in a row from them and not once have any mention of actual basketball.
oh, it was an effective troll and I know you were just getting your Reason on, but we have to remember we have a couple of less than sophisticated minds in here who will ruin an entire page off of some nonsense.
naturalborn103 wrote:538 (and all the others like them) give advanced stats a bad name.
That is not an advanced stat problem it is a human nature problem. People will use anything to make their post appear more credible. In any event, Wiggins has not been good this year, use anything you like and it will show how bad he's been. He's 19 but for a supposed star/superstar prospect he's really underperforming. That said I'm certainly not counting him out yet.

At the end of the day, 19 year old just drops 27 on the preseason favorite to win it all, and he gets ripped. okay

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

let's get back to the holiday spirit:

I want to thank Kenny Anderson for modernizing the behind-the-back dribble as a move/counter.

I want to thank God Shammgod for inventing the "Shammgod".

I want to thank 15 MOFE for their Bar Exam show, especially the Debo/Ahdiboom/Swave Sevah episode.

I want to thank Queenzflip for being Queenzflip.

I want to thank Chris from Unbias Review for responding to haters who call him gay because of his lisp by showing off and fondling Bonnie Godiva in a bikini. bitch body is BAD.

I want to thank whoever is responsible for kenny anderson, god shammgod, and battle rap related entertainment.
Nets 2022

an-also

Post by an-also »

It's ridiculous to call a 19 year old rookie one of the worst players in the NBA. Its equally as ridiculous to project that a 19 year old rookie will be a hall of famer.

Let the kid breathe.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

GS niggas stay Charmin soft.
UBM CD COMING SOON

alpha

Post by alpha »

Merry Xmas Ru.

Req

Post by Req »

538 regularly strays into areas they have zero insight on. I remember they had a piece on the film industry that got torn to shreds by actual analysts not too long ago. Stick to politics.
F.U. MOOLAH

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Req wrote:538 regularly strays into areas they have zero insight on. I remember they had a piece on the film industry that got torn to shreds by actual analysts not too long ago. Stick to politics.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wha ... ul-george/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That^ was the worst I saw from them. By Nate Silver too...

an-also

Post by an-also »

What the heck is 538 sports anyways?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

@BillSimmons 28s28 seconds ago
Kevin Love's future is officially getting interesting. Not playing in 4th Q in Orlando??? That's it, I'm cuing up the Trade Machine.
:rofl:

alpha

Post by alpha »

lol Bill always trying to start something