2014 NFL MVP/2014 PF NFL Player of the Year

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Who was the best player in the NFL this year?

Le'Veon Bell
4%
Tom Brady
4%
Antonio Brown
No votes
Rob Gronkowski
4%
Andrew Luck
4%
Peyton Manning
No votes
Demarco Murray
No votes
Aaron Rodgers
38%
Tony Romo
No votes
Ben ROFLZberger
No votes
JJ Watt
46%

Total votes: 24

Gregg Popabitch

2014 NFL MVP/2014 PF NFL Player of the Year

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

I'm going to start doing sports bar polls. Since the NFL season is ending today, we might as well get cracking on it with this and make it an MVP poll too, right?

alpha

Re: 2014 NFL MVP/2014 PF NFL Player of the Year

Post by alpha »

Had to vote Watt but it's probably Rodgers.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

alpha wrote:Had to vote Watt but it's probably Rodgers.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

since it's BEST player, the correct answer is Godgers. Watt had a few meh games whereas Godgers was on point every game
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Not to nitpick, but he was pretty dreadful against Buffalo, but he's the MVP no doubt.

alpha

Post by alpha »

It's easy to underestimate Watts impact on D. Still Godgers because he plays the most important position. They need a non QB MVP award tho.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I want to vote Watt cuz he won't win, he played like a MVP and it's the cool vote, but I know it's Mr. Munn.

Gregg Popabitch

Watt is the second coming of Reggie White. If this is him at his peak powers, he's already one of the best front 7 players that i've ever seen. Personally, I never thought I'd ever see a player that I'd be willing to mention in the same breath as Reggie White and Lawrence Taylor but here I am. He's unbelievable.

DLG

Post by DLG »

If Watt doesn't win it this year there will never be another defensive league MVP

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

DLG wrote:If Watt doesn't win it this year there will never be another defensive league MVP
No elite QB ever goes 9-7, especially when you start 4-0 from Jacksonville/Tennessee freebies

In most sports there is wiggle room between the positions, in football there isn't the MVP is always the best QB

ric

Post by ric »

Watt. Luck is sweet but he's not quite there but will prob someday soon. raj is real too but I'm gonna give it to the guy nobody really has a good answer for

Murray is not the answer despite the numbers. there are college kids who are better rbs than him and will have less of a learning curve in the league. he does his job real well though I'll give him that

an-also

Post by an-also »

Rodgers. He's the best player in the league at the most important position in the game.

DLG

Post by DLG »

free post

ric

Post by ric »

I'm revisiting thread though and maybe not mvp type shit but gronk

Gregg Popabitch

eternalreflection wrote:
DLG wrote:If Watt doesn't win it this year there will never be another defensive league MVP
No elite QB ever goes 9-7, especially when you start 4-0 from Jacksonville/Tennessee freebies

In most sports there is wiggle room between the positions, in football there isn't the MVP is always the best QB
The game of football has designed it's rules to make offensive numbers gaudy and make Quarterbacks kings.

But honestly, that's what makes what Watt did this year even more impressive to me. The rules are working against him and yet he put in one of the best defensive years in nfl history. and while we're at it, he scored 3 TDs on the offensive end too so he provided extra value. He didn't even lead the NFL in sacks this year and he still completely overshadowed Justin Houston's season. Look at Houston's defense.....he IS their defense. Look at Houston's QBs. How the hell did that team make it to 9 wins? One word: Watt.

I feel like it's getting to the point where QBs should have their own Cy Young award.

an-also

Post by an-also »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
eternalreflection wrote:

The game of football has designed it's rules to make offensive numbers gaudy and make Quarterbacks kings.

But honestly, that's what makes what Watt did this year even more impressive to me. The rules are working against him and yet he put in one of the best defensive years in nfl history. and while we're at it, he scored 3 TDs on the offensive end too so he provided extra value. He didn't even lead the NFL in sacks this year and he still completely overshadowed Justin Houston's season. Look at Houston's defense.....he IS their defense. Look at Houston's QBs. How the hell did that team make it to 9 wins? One word: Watt.

I feel like it's getting to the point where QBs should have their own Cy Young award.
I agree BUT I also disagree. Hear me out.

Yes, football is designed nowadays for huge offensive passing numbers but I think it only negatively affects DB's, safeties and to a certain extent Linebackers. I actually think the new rules empower pass rushers to have gaudy numbers too. Lets compare 20 years ago to now. Lets say teams passed it 25 times a game on average then and now they pass it 35 times a game. This gives D-lineman 10 more plays a game where they can either sack the qb, block the pass, tip the pass etc. I'm pretty sure sack numbers have gone up in 20 years.

What Watt did this year is incredible but just like I take passing numbers nowadays with a grain of salt, I take pass rusher numbers with the same grain of salt also.

Also consider that with all the amount of passing, Rodgers only threw 5 int's (4 of which were tipped balls off of receivers hands) is pretty incredible to me. But then again, I'm a bias packer fan so take this post with a grain of salt also :gyeah:

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

One reason Justin Houston was overshadowed is cause the media didn't campaign for him like Watt. He had a comparable season on the defensive side of the ball imo.

Gregg Popabitch

Ramen wrote:One reason Justin Houston was overshadowed is cause the media didn't campaign for him like Watt. He had a comparable season on the defensive side of the ball imo.
You think so? Watt had more fumble recoveries, batted balls, a safety, an INT, and tackles for a loss on top of the offensive value that Watt gave you as well with those 3 goal line TDs (i know you said on the defensive side of the ball but those are big too). Numbers don't always tell the whole story but Watt is pretty damn dominant overall.

Gregg Popabitch

an-also wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:
eternalreflection wrote:

I agree BUT I also disagree. Hear me out.

Yes, football is designed nowadays for huge offensive passing numbers but I think it only negatively affects DB's, safeties and to a certain extent Linebackers. I actually think the new rules empower pass rushers to have gaudy numbers too. Lets compare 20 years ago to now. Lets say teams passed it 25 times a game on average then and now they pass it 35 times a game. This gives D-lineman 10 more plays a game where they can either sack the qb, block the pass, tip the pass etc. I'm pretty sure sack numbers have gone up in 20 years.

What Watt did this year is incredible but just like I take passing numbers nowadays with a grain of salt, I take pass rusher numbers with the same grain of salt also.

Also consider that with all the amount of passing, Rodgers only threw 5 int's (4 of which were tipped balls off of receivers hands) is pretty incredible to me. But then again, I'm a bias packer fan so take this post with a grain of salt also :gyeah:
To a certain extent, you're right howeverrrrrrr.....

1) the nfl have made it more difficult to sack a QB with rule changes. the league and refs protect QBs much more nowadays than they did back in the day. i'ts not just in coverage. you can only sack QBs if you get their body....if you sack them below the knees or you catch their head, flag.

2) there are much more 3 step drops and screen plays now than there were back in the day. harder to get to the qb if that's the case.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
Ramen wrote:One reason Justin Houston was overshadowed is cause the media didn't campaign for him like Watt. He had a comparable season on the defensive side of the ball imo.
You think so? Watt had more fumble recoveries, batted balls, a safety, an INT, and tackles for a loss on top of the offensive value that Watt gave you as well with those 3 goal line TDs (i know you said on the defensive side of the ball but those are big too). Numbers don't always tell the whole story but Watt is pretty damn dominant overall.
Yeah I think it's pretty comparable, they are used differently so it's hard just to use numbers.

If the award was Most Outstanding Player, Watt would have took it home IMO. QB will always win the MVP debate, especially nowadays.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

I'm glad so many people voted Watt. That dude is a fuckin' FOOTBALL PLAYER!!! He got all that money and he has shown and proved. He's a beast on that field and has single handedly given QBs fits. He needs to win it in general.

Gregg Popabitch

Ramen wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:
Yeah I think it's pretty comparable, they are used differently so it's hard just to use numbers.

If the award was Most Outstanding Player, Watt would have took it home IMO. QB will always win the MVP debate, especially nowadays.
This isn't an MVP poll. but i know what you're saying.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
eternalreflection wrote:

Eternal is exactly right. I have basically watched no NFL football this year so cant say shit about this season. But, last year Watt had an all time great defensive years playing a premier position and his team still won only 2 games. A QB cant have an all time great season and only win 2 games.