PF's Best Baseball Player of 2014

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Who was the best baseball player of 2014?

Madison Bumgarner
47%
Josh Donaldson
No votes
Felix Hernandez
No votes
Clayton Kershaw
20%
Corey Kluber
No votes
Andrew McCutchen
No votes
Mike Trout
33%

Total votes: 15

Gregg Popabitch

PF's Best Baseball Player of 2014

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Whether you use best numbers, best player, or the player you're most likely to remember when you look back at this year, I do not care. Choose one and tell us why.

jredd109

Re: PF's Best Baseball Player of 2014

Post by jredd109 »

bumgarner. for obvious reasons.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

kershaw on the year. bum for the final month.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

ker$sh owned the season, the bum did it went it counted.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

Ramen wrote:ker$sh owned the season, the bum did it went it counted.

that was my obvious reason. kershaw had a killer season, but he sucked the big donkey dick in the playoffs while bum had one of the most dominant post seasons i've ever seen in any sport for as long as i can remember.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Bumgarner had a great run, yes, but an extremely overrated one imo.
People need to take into account he did it against some of the worst hitting playoff teams of all time. The Royals lineup is basically a AAA team.

TROUT 4 LYFE.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Voted Trout based off the everyday player versus pitcher argument.

Hey, by the way who's Curt?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Bumgarner had a great run, yes, but an extremely overrated one imo.
People need to take into account he did it against some of the worst hitting playoff teams of all time. The Royals lineup is basically a AAA team.

TROUT 4 LYFE.
If you wanna call it overrated, that's fine. Cliff Corcoran @ SI did a good breakdown of MadBum's postseason after the game 5 WS performance, and ranked it the 13th best ever playoff run. So it's definitely not the greatest. But 13th best in the history of the game, before winning game seven, is still really fuckin impressive. Especially when you consider that everyone in the top ten played between 1900-1960, except for Smoltz's run in 96. So if its overrated because its not the absolute best, or because hitting numbers are currently depressed, or because the Royals got hot despite not actually being good, that's fine. But calling it extremely overrated is inaccurate. It was a timeless performance, and one of the three best we've seen in the past 50 years.

Regardless, I think Kershaw was the best player this year. He had a couple bad 7th innings in the playoffs, but everything else he did this year was phenomenal. The no-hitter was one of the best moments of 2014 and 23-3/1.77 ERA/239 Ks are some video game numbers.

Trout was great but actually kinda poor, compared to the standard he set in the previous couple years. If he has already transitioned from being an all-around great center fielder who steals bases to a power hitting left fielder who strikes out a lot, I'm gonna be really bummed.

PEACE

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

:lol: I knew that would get a quality reaction out of you. I read the SI article, which doesn't take into account quality of competition whatsoever and seemed to focus only on shallow stats like Wins and ERA. The Royals are a light-hitting team where their three biggest bats all hit left-handed. They are tailor-made to get dominated by a power lefty.
Again, It was a great performance, I'm just sick of hearing all the hyperbole associated with it by crappy writers who don't put it into context because it hurts the narrative.

And regarding Trout, pitchers just finally figured out his kryptonite, that he can't layoff the high fastball. He's too talented not to be able to adjust.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Nothing like a lil Giants slander to bring me outta my :winter:

PEACE

alpha

Post by alpha »

I wasn't taking the bait from Tommy. No way.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

alpha wrote:I wasn't taking the bait from Tommy. No way.
cmon take it.

take it u know u want to dammit

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I feel like my baseball gif game is being thoroughly underappreciated

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Yeah, that's nice. Did you make it?

PEACE

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

no I just found it.

still nice though right?

right?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Yea its phat. Giants have some a pretty large base of techie fans who create some really cool web shit. Carmen Kiew is one of them. Brisbee does a good job of giving them a platform too

PEACE

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

peanut butter wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:Bumgarner had a great run, yes, but an extremely overrated one imo.

TROUT 4 LYFE.

Trout was great but actually kinda poor, compared to the standard he set in the previous couple years. If he has already transitioned from being an all-around great center fielder who steals bases to a power hitting left fielder who strikes out a lot, I'm gonna be really bummed.

PEACE
No it shows how massively underrated Trout is, how big of a joke it was that he wasn't winning his 3rd straight MVP when he dropped off as much as he did and was still the best player in baseball.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

eternalreflection wrote:
peanut butter wrote:

TROUT 4 LYFE.

PEACE
No it shows how massively underrated Trout is, how big of a joke it was that he wasn't winning his 3rd straight MVP when he dropped off as much as he did and was still the best player in baseball.
That was kinda my point. But he's not underrated by anyone who watches baseball. And I agree he deserved the other MVPs, but I'm far past giving a fuck how the crusty dinglebarries BBWAA writers vote about anything.

PEACE