I Hate Going To Sporting Events.

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Re: I Hate Going To Sporting Events.

Post by capable_keL »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote: arod is the greatest baseball player of our lifetime.
BANNED!!!!
GET YOUR FAGGOT ASS OUT OF THIS THREAD, RACE CAR RAPE VIRGIN
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

capable_keL wrote:
Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote: arod is the greatest baseball player of our lifetime.
BANNED!!!!
Who has been better than Arod? Arod has been superior to bonds in the field. He was an excellent SS and damn good at the hot corner as well. In fact, Jeter should have let arod take over SS when arod first came to the Yankees.

alpha

Post by alpha »

I know you're trolling but Bonds won 8 gold gloves. C'mon man do better. No one who's ever watched either would say ARod has had a better career or the better player.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

stupidregister wrote:Like you, I enjoy watching sporting events. Alright, so why don't I take a live one in? That should make watching the game more enjoyable, I think to myself.

So I get a ticket. These aren't the super cheap seats but they're not exactly courtside either. I'm sure this has a lot to do with what I'm about to say but it's not the only reason.

I present to you, in no particular order, why going to a live game is fucking terrible:

The cost of a ticket Wait until the game starts and buy a cheap one from a scalper (they lose value quick)
The cost of parking Take the bus
The cost of a bottle of water Bring an empty bottle and fill it up at a drinking fountain
Goofy white people on the Jumbotron Don't look at the jumbotron
Annoying ghetto lady a few seats above me yelling at the team to get a rebound Really?
Annoying ghetto lady a few seats below me yelling at the ref to call a foul Really?
The complete lack of sports knowledge of the people around me and even worse, not realizing how clueless they are FUCKING REALLY?
People who think they're coaching the game from the stands (no, the backup point guard shouldn't be in right now) Jesus christ is it your period or something?
The endless string of piercing hype noise during before, during, in-between, and after any sort of gameplay Because you never hear that on your TV?
Bratty kids with better seats than me Please
Being unable to go to the bathroom without missing significant portions of the game Don't buy the expensive water you already complained about
Some dumbass oversinging the Star Spangled Banner See my comment about ticket prices
Having to sit through the Star Spangled Banner You're supposed to stand during the national anthem, asshole
People fighting over free t-shirts Why does this personally offend you?
Not being able to sit with like-minded fans Maybe if you weren't such a bitch you'd have friends to sit with you
Dudes who wear jerseys with no undershirt or over collared shirts Do you even watch THE ACTUAL GAME when you go to games? Or do you just sneer at everyone around you?
Literally every pair of girls taking a selfie or the same picture overlying the court What is wrong with you?
Harassment of people minding their own business and acting tough about it Save us and yourself the trouble and literally never go out in public.

There are more...many more...but I'll let you add on.

Literally everything is better watching at home. But I bet you still complain when you're there too.
I <3 Employee.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:
capable_keL wrote:
BANNED!!!!
Who has been better than Arod? Arod has been superior to bonds in the field. He was an excellent SS and damn good at the hot corner as well. In fact, Jeter should have let arod take over SS when arod first came to the Yankees.
I love A-Rod, but come on.
I <3 Employee.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

alpha wrote:I know you're trolling but Bonds won 8 gold gloves. C'mon man do better. No one who's ever watched either would say ARod has had a better career or the better player.
Of course, Bonds was a great in the field early in his career, but I feel arod lasted longer into his career than Bonds as being really good in the field.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Arod won two gold gloves to Bonds eight. Whatever run Arod had as a good fielder still doesn't touch Barry.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

A-Rod has never walked more than 100 times in a season. Barry Bonds had 13 seasons with over 100 walks.

A-Rod has 1 season with over 30 stolen bases. Bonds had 9 seasons with over 30 stolen bases.

A-Rod has been intentionally walked 93 times in his career. Bonds was intentionally walked 688 times.
Last edited by Myjah on Fri May 15, 2015 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I <3 Employee.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Plus, Barry waited until his late thirties to do steroids and put up Look At Me I'm Jesus numbers because he ran out of fucks while A-Rod started cycling in his mid-20's and put up just really great numbers.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Right. Bonds was 42 in his last season, A-Rod is 39 now. A-Rod could play 5 more years and still has slim to none chance of reaching Bonds numbers.

And don't get me wrong, I'm an A-Rod fan.
I <3 Employee.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Myjah wrote:Right. Bonds was 42 in his last season, A-Rod is 39 now. A-Rod could play 5 more years and still has slim to none chance of reaching Bonds numbers.

And don't get me wrong, I'm an A-Rod fan.
If Arod stays healthy, just DH's, and plays 5 more seasons, he has a shot at breaking Bonds HR record....

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

stupidregister wrote:Like you, I enjoy watching sporting events. Alright, so why don't I take a live one in? That should make watching the game more enjoyable, I think to myself.

So I get a ticket. These aren't the super cheap seats but they're not exactly courtside either. I'm sure this has a lot to do with what I'm about to say but it's not the only reason.

I present to you, in no particular order, why going to a live game is fucking terrible:

The cost of a ticket
The cost of parking
The cost of a bottle of water
Goofy white people on the Jumbotron
Annoying ghetto lady a few seats above me yelling at the team to get a rebound
Annoying ghetto lady a few seats below me yelling at the ref to call a foul
The complete lack of sports knowledge of the people around me and even worse, not realizing how clueless they are
People who think they're coaching the game from the stands (no, the backup point guard shouldn't be in right now)
The endless string of piercing hype noise during before, during, in-between, and after any sort of gameplay
Bratty kids with better seats than me
Being unable to go to the bathroom without missing significant portions of the game
Some dumbass oversinging the Star Spangled Banner
Having to sit through the Star Spangled Banner
People fighting over free t-shirts
Not being able to sit with like-minded fans
Dudes who wear jerseys with no undershirt or over collared shirts
Literally every pair of girls taking a selfie or the same picture overlying the court
Harassment of people minding their own business and acting tough about it

There are more...many more...but I'll let you add on.

Literally everything is better watching at home.
I agree with you that it's much better to watch sports at home than live (especially football). However, baseball supersedes this sentiment due to the technicality that you can just go to a baseball game to enjoy the warm weather while drinking and chillin with people you're with. It's more of an intangible casual atmosphere thing. I've gone to games at Citi Field, and watched like a total of 30 mins of the actual game. These were all Friday night games that are basically just a de facto way to pregame for the bars later in the night.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Pro Sports Games I've Gone to:
MLB: 500-800
NHL: 2
NBA: 1
NFL: 0
Minor League Baseball: 1

So I might be bias.

I've been to many amateur hockey and other sports games and I would say hockey is the best to see in person, or just the biggest difference between in person and on TV.
I <3 Employee.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

To piggyback off Myjah's post:

MLB: Around 50
NHL: 10
NBA: Around 20
NFL: 10
Minor League Baseball: 5
Golf: 2 PGA events
Tennis: 1 Grandslam event
Soccer: 1 English Premier League game and 1 LA MLS game.
UBM CD COMING SOON

Raphael De La Ghetto

Post by Raphael De La Ghetto »

Also jumping on it:

MLB: 50 or so
NHL: 20 or so
NBA: 3
NFL: 1
Minor Hockey: 7
Lacrosse: 2

I was hugely into football at the time I went to the 1 game, and it sucked so badly that I ended up slowly stopping watching it.
I'd personally rather watch sports at the bar/my home anyways now. I'd go to see NHL games, but tickets in Toronto are like 100 bucks plus just to stand at the top of the arena. Most standing room spots theres atleast a small table in front of you. At the ACC its just a metal bar. Had my beers at my feet as I stood and watched the Leafs get blown away as usual.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

I'll play:

MLB: Jesus. 175-200? Notables: Wade Boggs 3,000; Gerald Williams vs. Pedro Martinez; BJ Upton vs. Evan Longoria; the Larry Rothschild era; Tony Saunders' arm shattering;

NBA: 4. All Magic Games.

NFL: 6. All Bucs games, all in September iirc. Fucking agony each one of them.

NHL: 15ish

College football: 30, probably. Every USF home game besides 3 from 2010-2012, 2 in 2013. Auburn (2 in Auburn, 3 bowl games, 2010 SEC championship.

College basketball: Probably 25 or so. All USF home games except the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight in Tampa in 1998, which was Duke, Kentucky, UCLA, and Cuse, which looking back is probably the most impressive collection of tradition/talent/whatever I've seen in person.

Minor league soccer: 3

Minor league baseball: Fucking hell. Have been drunk at more Clearwater Thresher games than I can even imagine.

Olympics: '96 in Atlanta. Bunch of shit. Got lost in Fulton County Stadium during a Nicaragua vs. somebody game. I was 7.

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

NHL: 30-35 including a playoff game in Chicago last year and two this year in Calgary.
MLB: 7 saw Mariano Riviera set the save record at Yankee stadium and saw Verlander no-hit the Jays in Toronto
NFL: 1
NBA: 1
Minor league hockey: 20 or so
Minor league baseball: 10 or so

I actually found the NBA to be the worst experience when comparing to watching it on TV. It was a Bulls-Nets playoff game in 2013 in Chicago and the crowd didn't even really seem to be into the game until about 5 minutes left. It was a close game too so I'm not sure why they seemed so subdued. On TV it seems way louder then it did in person. Not sure if this is the normal NBA experience or it was just an off night. It was kinda cool to see dunks and shit like that up close but otherwise the experience was meh.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Piru Paul, 60 combined NFL & MLB games?
Were they all in the Bay, in the PF era?
I feel like you've threatened to fade our local fags more times than that.

MLB: No way to be remotely accurate on this one, but I'll guesstimate 20 games X the last 20 years = 400. I've been to every home playoff game this century.

NFL: 60 games. I've been a season ticket holder for the last three years, but was going to a few games for years before that.

NBA: 50 games. Haven't been to a game in the last three years. During the Run TMC era, my best friend's dad was a port captain in Oakland. He routinely had us sitting a few rows up from the bench. I wish I had been old enough to appreciate it more.

NHL: 0

NCAA: 20 Football, 10 Basketball

Soccer: 50 international matches, 1 world cup game, 5 MLS games.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

This turned out to be a better topic, it's cool seeing people's numbers.

I've only been to a handful of NBA games (less than 10) a couple of MLB games as a kid and a couple of soccer matches here and there. Never NHL or NFL.

Any good stories anyone wants to share?
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

MLB- 70-90 games. saw world series game 6, 3-4 playoff games
NFL- 40-50 games. saw 1998 championship game, dallas playoff game where favre tore them up
NBA - 40-50 games. saw KG in his prime nightlty
GOLF - PGA championship 2002 Hazleden
NCAA basketball - 20-30 games
NCAA Football 10-15 games
NHL - 20-30 - saw Northstars / Blackhawks when I was 5
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Never really been to much pro games.

4 RAIDERS games. VS Indy(the game were Manning had like a 30 yard bootleg) NE the Brady less year and 2 vs Denver(one was a Sunday night game during the Gannon years.
2 NBA Games. Heat@Lakers on Christmas day(2010) and some random Kings@Warriors game like 10 years ago, tickets were close to free.
1 MLB game Rockies@Giants this was also like 10 years ago.

I do go to about 20 Hawaii games a year tho. Football/Basketball/Baseball

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

Ramen wrote:
I don't watch much college sports so I'm not sure if this is a dumb question or not but does the the University of Hawaii gotta fly their team to the continental US every week for games and then back again to Hawaii for classes? That must be expensive as fuck as well as super taxing on the players just because of the time change/jetlag etc. Or do they have a satellite campus in the States that athletes attend to minimize travel?

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

capable_keL wrote:NFL- 40-50 games. saw 1998 championship game, dallas playoff game where favre tore them up
Did you have to bring that up, bro?

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Kiran187 wrote:
Ramen wrote:
I don't watch much college sports so I'm not sure if this is a dumb question or not but does the the University of Hawaii gotta fly their team to the continental US every week for games and then back again to Hawaii for classes? That must be expensive as fuck as well as super taxing on the players just because of the time change/jetlag etc. Or do they have a satellite campus in the States that athletes attend to minimize travel?

Usually they do stints on the mainland playing a couple games before flying back, when on the road they do their coursework in between games/practice/travel.

zappy

Post by zappy »

Kiran187 wrote:Is it true that there is no way to for opposing fans to sit with each other at soccer games because of the potential for violence? What happens if you are going to a game with a homie who is a fan of the other team?
i went to a game in ukraine, there were guards with assault rifles patroling between the home and away sections

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

MLB: About 5 (Rays, Marlins, Cubs)
NFL: About 10 (all Jaguars, really easy to get free/cheap tickets at one point...even when they were decent)
College Football: about 30 (when I was at FSU, they weren't very good, so tickets were easy to get. Now I go about once a year, but the prices have really skyrocketed these days)
College Basketball: about 5 (went to a couple UF games as a kid when I got free tickets, went to two FSU games while I was in Tallahassee)
PGA: About 5 events (I used to get free tickets to TPC Sawgrass, so that was interesting. Only problem is it's really hot it May, so I would go for a couple hours and go back home and watch on TV)

I've never been to an NBA game (would really like to) or an NHL game (semi-interested) before. Also, an international soccer game sounds pretty interesting, despite the fact that I'm not a very big fan of watching it.

The only sport I would say was definitely much better in person would be baseball. I rarely watch it on TV, but really easy to get into it when at the ballpark.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Philaflava wrote:certain sporting events are just better at home, like football. but i actually prefer getting lost in a baseball game and i don't even care if i'm with ppl or not.
this

also live basketball is fun if the crowd is into it

and nobody can say anything bad about live hockey. i barely watch or give a shit about hockey but every live hockey experience for me has been thrilling. granted they've been rangers games in MSG but still

i saw a brazil-argentina game in like 2010 at the new meadowlands...i don't give a fuck about soccer other than keeping tabs on neymar...and it was one of the best experiences ever. then again i went to a seattle fc vs red bulls game and that was less exciting but still fun
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Doogs wrote: I've never been to an NBA game (would really like to) or an NHL game (semi-interested) before.
nba games are great IF the team is good AND the fans are good fans (mad annoying to be at a game and see half the fans looking at their phones) AND the other team isn't complete shit (Unless you're a bball nerd like me who doesn't care)

i rank live hockey and live soccer first
live baseball next
why do i keep saying live :-p
basketball
then football dead fucking last.
Nets 2022

vinylfiend

Post by vinylfiend »

Just came to say this thread is dumb. Paid $200 for nosebleeds for game 2 of WCF at oracle and had a blast . Funnest game in a while.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:I'll play:

MLB: Jesus. 175-200? Notables: Wade Boggs 3,000; Gerald Williams vs. Pedro Martinez; BJ Upton vs. Evan Longoria; the Larry Rothschild era; Tony Saunders' arm shattering;
Nice games, especially Boggs. I've probably been to a lot of notable games that I don't even remember. Once you get around the 800 game mark in 12 years they mostly tend to blur together.

My most notables: Game 163 in 2009 (best I've ever seen easily); Frank Thomas 500th home run; 2014 All-Star Game (Jeter's last); first game at Target Field (both the first Twins exhibition and real games); last game at the Metrodome; first walk-off home run at Target Field, by Jim Thome (featured on the SI cover with the article that quoted my video!).

Random notables I remember: Joe Nathan setting the Twins all-time saves record; the one game where Joe Mauer started in right field; Mark Buehrle's more consecutive perfect innings by a starting pitcher; Johan Santana's 1000th strikeout; all Twins home openers 2007-present. Probably a lot of others. This is hurting my head.

Baseball is fun.
I <3 Employee.