I Hate Going To Sporting Events.

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

stupidregister

I Hate Going To Sporting Events.

Post by stupidregister »

Like you, I enjoy watching sporting events. Alright, so why don't I take a live one in? That should make watching the game more enjoyable, I think to myself.

So I get a ticket. These aren't the super cheap seats but they're not exactly courtside either. I'm sure this has a lot to do with what I'm about to say but it's not the only reason.

I present to you, in no particular order, why going to a live game is fucking terrible:

The cost of a ticket
The cost of parking
The cost of a bottle of water
Goofy white people on the Jumbotron
Annoying ghetto lady a few seats above me yelling at the team to get a rebound
Annoying ghetto lady a few seats below me yelling at the ref to call a foul
The complete lack of sports knowledge of the people around me and even worse, not realizing how clueless they are
People who think they're coaching the game from the stands (no, the backup point guard shouldn't be in right now)
The endless string of piercing hype noise during before, during, in-between, and after any sort of gameplay
Bratty kids with better seats than me
Being unable to go to the bathroom without missing significant portions of the game
Some dumbass oversinging the Star Spangled Banner
Having to sit through the Star Spangled Banner
People fighting over free t-shirts
Not being able to sit with like-minded fans
Dudes who wear jerseys with no undershirt or over collared shirts
Literally every pair of girls taking a selfie or the same picture overlying the court
Harassment of people minding their own business and acting tough about it

There are more...many more...but I'll let you add on.

Literally everything is better watching at home.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ric

Re: I Hate Going To Sporting Events.

Post by ric »

totally disagree. and let me tell you why.
that whole list is about stuff thats not about the game.
like i dont like a lot of that stuff too especially sitting through the star bangled banner all the goddamn time is super eye rolling
but most of that stuff you can tune out if you focus on whats going on on the field/court
the live experience is awesome.
nearly everything about the game itself is enhanced.
the reason why all the prices are jacked is because the pageantry is attracts most people so some people will spend the entire third quarter drinking beer in an area where you can only see a tv anyway. whatever. let em. its all good.
you can hear better etc. you can see from your angle which is usually better than the shitty angle the tv gives you. and a huge part of that is youre not forced to watch what they choose to zoom into so you get more details of whats going on etc. when xyz doesnt have the ball or isnt in the play i get to see that and i get more of a feel for who that person is.
like seeing roddy white live was the first time i noticed that a lot of the time when he had no shot of getting the ball his presnap posture is totally different and he acts like he doesnt give a fuck even during the play hes just going through the motions. do yourself a favor and look at roddys posture for a whole game. its not 100% telling 100% of the time but it tells a story.
just saying.
please proceed

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

certain sporting events are just better at home, like football. but i actually prefer getting lost in a baseball game and i don't even care if i'm with ppl or not.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

I will not, under any circumstance, go to another NFL game. The only NBA games I've been to are Magic games with a few friends who know the game and if you're at a Magic/pre-Lebron Cavs game on a Friday night in February you probably like the sport. Rays games are cool because nobody goes so you can spread out, which for people my height is a huge plus. Hockey is only watchable live. Minor league soccer is super shitty, but the atmosphere is sorta fun if you can appreciate the ridiculousness of burb kids appropriating Eurotrash antics. College basketball and football depends entirely on the matchup. I went to USF so I have seen some absolute shitfests in the name of supporting the university.

TL:DR: Sporting events are alright to good live. It depends on a lot.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

hockey is definitely better live, unless its playoff hockey.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

I dislike a lot of those things but I can ignore all or most of them because i'm concentrating on the basketball game. There are things that you notice about the game that you'd never get on TV unless you are sitting in the nosebleeds and you don't have binoculars.

I really don't give a shit about baseball anymore but going to baseball games is one of my favorite things to do though. it's really fucking weird.

I've been to a football game a couple times in the past few years. I really have no interest in going to another one. The fan experience at home is much superior.....especially during the winter time.

I've never been to a hockey game or a tennis match and I really want to attend one.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

If you're sitting in the peasant seats I agree.
UBM CD COMING SOON

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

wait, people wear jerseys over a collared shirt?!?!

That sounds like a horrible idea.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Is there anything you even truly love tho...or maybe tolerate?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

sounds like you don't hate sporting events, you hate people
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

capable_keL wrote:sounds like you don't hate sporting events, you hate people
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

:killacam:

It doesn't really surprise me that I'm getting a little heat about this, mostly because a lot of this board is filled with several of the people described above.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

hey! my collar looks just fine sprouting out my jersey

Kid That's Lifeless

stupidregister wrote:

It doesn't really surprise me that I'm getting a little heat about this, mostly because a lot of this board is filled with several of the people described above.
You are a beautiful and unique snowflake.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:
stupidregister wrote:

You are a beautiful and unique snowflake.
You SR I think he just invited you to go to a game with him :gyeah: :gyeah:

PEACE

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

The only things I hate about live sporting events is tsome of the costs for stuff - tickets, booze, etc and the lineups associated with getting these things. That, and when people stand during a game for unnecessary reasons. 2 minutes left in a close game, defining play of the game about to happen, wild ass shit happening on the field/ice...all good. But when people just stand for nothing it's wack. I went to a Seahawks game a few years ago and while I had a good time, I hated that the entire crowd stood for the whole game, even some of the TV timeouts.

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

I agree with most of what you said

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

stupidregister wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I agree with the other people who have said that the NFL is best experienced @home with friends, on the flat screen, with dvr, turned up.

zappy

Post by zappy »

i go to baseball games pretty often, but nats stadium is nice, the lines arent too bad, people are generally not screaming assholes (with one exception)

i even have a way to beat the crowds at the metro that works pretty well. really the only downside is the sun if it's a day game.

the one time i had an issue there was this drunk chick behind me screaming really loud and saying fuck constantly when there were kids like a few seats away. the best part was that she would cheer really, really loudly when the nats hit into double plays or hit obvious flyballs. like the entire place is silent but she's screaming "YEAH YEAH YEAH". she saw me shaking my head, and was like "WHAT I AM A GOOD FAN." except that she was cheering for the other team half the time.

but other than that i've always had a good experience.

alpha

Post by alpha »

good to know they're Myjah's everywhere.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Very different experience in the States I guess. Baseball is fun though - sit in the sun, get drunk, take the game in.

I really like going to live football/soccer. Especially as an away fan. Couple of hours drinking beer on a train to the ground, group with other fans in a pub, head to game, nice hostile atmosphere, everyone losing their shit when a goal goes in.

This is a game I was at a couple of seasons ago. Will never forget it. https://youtu.be/0HISf_sqoLw?t=26s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

Is it true that there is no way to for opposing fans to sit with each other at soccer games because of the potential for violence? What happens if you are going to a game with a homie who is a fan of the other team?

Kid That's Lifeless

Get new homies?

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Kiran187 wrote:Is it true that there is no way to for opposing fans to sit with each other at soccer games because of the potential for violence? What happens if you are going to a game with a homie who is a fan of the other team?
Yeah, you have to sit in different sections of the ground. If you're going to a game with a friend who's a fan of the other team you either sit in different ends and meet afterwards, or sit in the opposition end and STFU if your team score.

You'll often see fans in the wrong end who are drunk or whatever and start celebrating a goal and it pretty much always results in a fight.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

What do you like though? I don't think you've ever made a post that isn't bitching about something.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Joe Pesci wrote:What do you like though? I don't think you've ever made a post that isn't bitching about something.
I like Geno Smith starting at QB for the Jets and I like Deron Williams starting at PG for the Nets because it means another year of shit NY teams for their shit fans.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

:copy:

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

stupidregister wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:What do you like though? I don't think you've ever made a post that isn't bitching about something.
I like Geno Smith starting at QB for the Jets and I like Deron Williams starting at PG for the Nets because it means another year of shit NY teams for their shit fans.
What about the Yankees and Rangers tho :cas:

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Joe Pesci wrote:
stupidregister wrote:
Well then you get the pleasure of watching them lose to the Blackhawks in the Finals (if they make it past tonight).

And any team/city that has A-Rod stays losing, no matter how many games they win.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

stupidregister wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
stupidregister wrote:
Well then you get the pleasure of watching them lose to the Blackhawks in the Finals (if they make it past tonight).

And any team/city that has A-Rod stays losing, no matter how many games they win.
What are you talking about, arod is the greatest baseball player of our lifetime.