2016-17 NFL Season Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

djjeffresh

Re: 2016-17 NFL Super Bowl

Post by djjeffresh »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:So, where does this rank in the worst choke jobs ever?
i would vote it #1, what else is even close?

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

but how does dan quinn compare with pete carroll in terms of coaching mistakes leading to their super bowl losses to the patriots?

DLG

Post by DLG »

I'd say he got fucked by carroll and shannahan. dude should have three rings

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

djjeffresh wrote:but how does dan quinn compare with pete carroll in terms of coaching mistakes leading to their super bowl losses to the patriots?
Quinn is 100% responsible for handing over the super bowl: play call, clock management; I can't believe they were snapping the ball with 13 seconds left and not even really huddling. Conventional wisdom says you run it 3 times and don't snap it until there is 1 second left, kick the field goal and Atlanta wins the super bowl.

Anyone who plays Madden knows it was Quinn who is liable.
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

If you're Arthur blank would it cross your mind to fire quinn? I know it sounds crazy, but I just can't get it out of my head that this loss is unforgivable...

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

djjeffresh wrote:but how does dan quinn compare with pete carroll in terms of coaching mistakes leading to their super bowl losses to the patriots?
Quinn is worse. Pete Carroll made one historically bad mistake that he had no opportunity to make up for. Pretty much from after Atlanta scored the TD in the beginning of the third qtr quinn did absolutely everything humanly possible wrong. He had chance after chance to stop the bleeding and couldn't get it done. It's simply unforgivable on every level imaginable.
Last edited by GUCCI CONDOMS on Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ric

Re: 2016-17 NFL Season Thread

Post by ric »

for what it's worth. Atlanta has been going up early and then giving up a ton of points second half all year. probably because quinn and Co pick their concepts to start with and murder their opponents and then don't adjust enough and when the other teams adjust now the other team is murdering. but Atlanta is still playing and so they still have the opportunity to score and that's why they win is because they score enough at the beginning that the other shit doesn't matter especially with that run game you just run the clock out before you lose

now the interesting thing is the pats started to roll after half time right? ok so what did they do? what appeared to me to happen is they started to run crossing routes galore which is a bitch to pattern read against. so the falcons switched to trail man technique so at least there weren't these huge holes. but trail man was confusing for the dbs (they were running pattern read no look style where you wait for the wr to react and then db reacts and they were running typical 'look at the last second' man to man technique which can be perilous because you can fuck up especially with crafty wr and qb and play call) and it didn't work because now the dbs can't see ball and Brady no shit made his career numbers beating this no look shit because his wrs have always had the discipline enough to wait for the last moment possible to react to ball. so then the falcons played man over technique so they would always be in position against the insane amount of crossing routes they were seeing (iirc that was a 4th qtr sideline adjustment). but then of course man over is weak against underneath throws which is exactly what end up taking over the game because then it's like quick completion after quick completion after quick completion and the pats were getting yards off it too because they'd take a ton of space (read: the dbs and lbs were not present in this huge sea of grass) but man over is vulnerable to the underneath throw which is an easier and safer throw.

what did NOT happen almost throughout the whole game was the pats almost never used the rbs to assist in pass pro. which I thought they'd do because they were having oodles of success with it all playoffs and mid-end season. but instead they went 5 wide prolly in part to surprise atl who prolly would have been practicing to bring 7-8 guys with some sort of reading pressure (ie man free or those half zone half man looks) (not like they needed to in the early going). and partly because it would have been too big of a mountain to climb for the pats off because quinn and Carroll both structure their d to dominate in like a max protect scenario and quinn may train his lbs to be pass rushers (and his safeties to be lbs). it seems like they wanted to have the d as dedicated to coverage as they could get to avoid the rush in numbers. so then the game for the pats oline is simplified in a sense where it's basically just oline vs dline which is an easier world for the oline.

coverage wise the atl def in the first half was pattern reading with front pressure and the pats offense played vertical concepts and 'find space' concepts which is a big mess for the following reasons
1. not only was the atl front coming for blood but
2. the vertical off concepts played into the hands of the def concepts
3. because the pass concepts were vertical Brady needed time (which he obv didn't have)
4. for the spacing concepts Brady couldn't execute because he's out of his mind from the pressure (the pick being the biggest most obvious example of this as it was really the worst choice on the field and it was obvious the db behind the wr was sitting on the throw that's why Brady looked so fucking down because it was so fucking terrible and I honestly thought at that point that Brady was mentally out of the game) and
5. it looked like Brady personally was having a hard time adjusting to a 5 wide world which is already difficult but especially hard given the killer fucking rush and probably the off coordination was having trouble thinking up answers. not like there are many viable answers against a rush like that

I'll watch the game again and come back with a story in re atl off vs pats def

DLG

Post by DLG »

Brandon Marshall on the other side of OBJ

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

DLG wrote:Brandon Marshall on the other side of OBJ
Gmen still have an alarmingly declining 36 year old Eli throwing behind one of the NFL's worst offensive lines...

DLG

Post by DLG »

yet still a better chance of winning a playoff game than the Cowboys

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

:sad:

alpha

Post by alpha »

I don't go to games. Still sucks they're leaving. Too much pride on both sides to work it out

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

The fact that they will play in Oakland for 2 more years is kind of weird. Luckily the Raiders are really good or Jayou might knife someone in the stands
Hey, by the way who's Curt?