The 2016-17 NBA Season Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

unclebengi

Re: The 2016-17 NBA Season Thread

Post by unclebengi »

Keep in mind that the Bucks are playing well this year without Khris Middleton who was their leading scorer and best perimeter defender last year. They should get him back in time for a playoff run this year and be able to kick Tony Snell far back to the bench. They also stole Brogdon in the 2nd round and he would be 2nd to Embiid in rookie of the year if it was voted on today. He's the perfect 3&D ball handler to play alongside Giannis. If Thon Maker can become a player, they already have their starting lineup- Brogdon, Middleton, Giannis, Jabari, Maker.

I'm still a hard core 'cers fan (Teague is the man right now), but I have adopted the Bucks as my 2nd team, so fun to watch.

Pissed I didn't stay up for the Grizzles comeback last night, didn't think they'd have the firepower to do it after the dubs started to pull away. Sounds like Durant shit the bed down the stretch.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Is Phil Jackson able to pull Derrick Rose into the office and explain to him what it means to be a professional adult? Or, is he so far gone that he is virtually allowed to do whatever he wants because its an accepted fact that he has the mentality of a child?

Dunc'd On Podcast had some juicy Rose, Millsap, Lillard-McCollum, Trade Hypotheticals
Brian Windhorst, Tim MacMahon, Michael Wright and Tim Bontemps on Derrick Rose, the Spurs, Paul Millsap and the Hawks, breaking up backcourts, and trade hypotheticals...podcast scientificals
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Hot take- McCollum is better than Dame Lillard. I doubt Portland will have the guts to trade away Lillard, but it's what they should do if they want to truly contend. McCollum's efficiency is unreal and when he gets to run a team full time he'll be a poor man's Harden.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

unclebengi wrote:Hot take- McCollum is better than Dame Lillard. I doubt Portland will have the guts to trade away Lillard, but it's what they should do if they want to truly contend. McCollum's efficiency is unreal and when he gets to run a team full time he'll be a poor man's Harden.
That a very hot take. I love McCollum but...nah...Lillard is that dude.

an-also

Post by an-also »

Talk to me when CJ can spit a hot bar like Dame yo

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

unclebengi wrote:Hot take- McCollum is better than Dame Lillard. I doubt Portland will have the guts to trade away Lillard, but it's what they should do if they want to truly contend. McCollum's efficiency is unreal and when he gets to run a team full time he'll be a poor man's Harden.
Nah, B, nah

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

some context, over the last couple weeks (9 games, 3 of which Lillard missed) CJ has averaged 30 ppg with 52% shooting on 22 attempts per game. That is INSANE for a high volume chucker like CJ. Then you scale it back and see that he's the top FG% guard in the entire league this year at a .483 clip. Now, I'm not saying he'll keep shooting that well all year, but we're looking at a pretty good sample size and it's obvious watching him that CJ has improved a ton this year. Dame is quicker and has better assist numbers than CJ, but I'm convinced watching CJ a ton this year that he would thrive as the primary scorer/distributor in a full time pick and roll role. He's a better shooter than Dame (better from 3 and far better in the midrange). They both are poor defenders, but CJ puts up better blk and stl numbers.

CJ's midrange game is custom made for the playoffs where teams are more effective at limiting 3 pointers. If they can flip Dame for a scoring big and add a 2 way shooting guard, I think CJ could be an MVP candidate down the road. He toys with excellent defenders on the regular.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Zach LaVine will miss the remainder of the season after an MRI revealed a torn ACL in his left knee.
Oh no. LaVine had some contact to his knee on Friday and was originally diagnosed with a contusion. This is obviously a massive blow to the Wolves, who were playing much better in the 2017 portion of the season. LaVine was tied for third in the NBA for minutes per game at 37.2, averaging 18.9 points, 3.4 boards, 3.0 assists, 0.9 steals and 2.6 treys. The Wolves will have to piece it together to fill this massive void with Shabazz Muhammad as the most interesting add, especially for points leagues. Nemanja Bjelica will likely be playing more three and is interesting, as well. Brandon Rush could get some starts, but his upside isn't very high. We should also see more of some two-PG lineups with Kris Dunn (hand) and Tyus Jones. Feb 4 - 5:17 PM
Source: Wolves on Twitter
Damn, there goes minny's playoffs hopes :sad:

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

This Cavs/Wiz game is incredible. The Wiz started this year shitty as fuck and then they just turned into one of the best teams in the league overnight...makes no sense. I don't expect Beal and Porter and Markieff to keep playing at the level they're playing, but if they can the Wiz are a true threat in the east. Getting a healthy Mahimi back will be key for their playoff aspirations this year as they need bench help badly. Oubre has really emerged, but they're really only 6 deep w/ him right now.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

That Lebron shot was just insane and lucky as fuck. The wiz gotta feel pretty good after that game.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

that dunk contest sucked

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

NBA Saturday night was uncomfortable television. The skills contest was done at half speed, the 3 point contest was painful to watch, watching steph brick from half court was sad, and the dunk contest was gimmicky and boring

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Boogie to the Pelicans. holy shit. Sac getting trash back.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

pretty much...I knew Boogie could be got for less than market value, just didn't think his value was THAT low

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

so basically traded him for Buddy Hield

alpha

Post by alpha »

This is a huge trade. Assuming he re-signs they just need some shooters and it's over.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Ramen wrote:so basically traded him for Buddy Hield
Don't sleep on the valiant return of Tyreke evans to Sac. God, he must me so pissed.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

The Sacramento Queens are such a shit franchise

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

bout to roll up to golden 1

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

NO sneaks in as the 8seed and beats GS, Cavs lose in the 1st round. OKC wins the title.

We've had a couple 3-1 comebacks, Leicester City won the Premiership and a 25pt second half SB comeback, it's getting hard to predict a bigger longshot.

ric

Post by ric »

at a bar watching gs clips. it's a beautiful thing watching Durant do his thing. great athlete.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Looks like someone took the leash of Cauley-Stein. Good lord.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Draymond gives zero fucks about Paul Pierce.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

alpha wrote:Draymond gives zero fucks about Paul Pierce.
very random but funny as hell, fuck paul pierce

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

So the T-Wolves are playing some great ball huh Kel? It's weird, but the Lavine injury may have actually helped things by them being able to run things though Rubio, Wiggins, and Towns pretty much exclusively. Towns started slow, but he's made it clear these last couple months that he's still that dude. Really look forward to seeing what this squad does in the playoffs if they can get there.

Jokic has also become my favorite player (surpassing Giannis), it's sucks that he's missing time for illness reasons, but his impact on not just his team, but the NBA in general can't be overstated. Luuuuv to watch that dude play.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Zach LaVine was the most improved player in the NBA this year. LaVine's injury has nothing to do with the Wolve's surge. The Wolves are finally learning Thib's defensive scheme and Lavine is the future SG of this team. Once he comes back playing with Wiggins and Towns, this team is going to be a nightmare to stop.

Its been Rubio & Dunn contributing to the .700 winning percentage since the all star break.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Iggy is starting to lose it...
“We gotta score more than the other team. Yep, they want dumb n—-s, so I’m going to give y’all a dumb n—-.”

“What would a dumb n—- say? ‘Just play harder. Figure it out. Change gonna come.’ You know what we used to say. Change gonna come.”

Asked whether he knew about his upcoming night off, Iguodala responded,

“Nope, no clue. I do what master say.”

alpha

Post by alpha »

he was trolling the media... but slightly concerned at this point. that road trip was hell.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

That Spurs victory over the Rockets a week back was impressive. Kawhi is on a mission this year, a finals rematch of Cavs/Dubs would be sweet, but I'd love to see another Cavs/Spurs finals too.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

westbrook did it: he averaged a triple double for the year. we witnessed history and I doubt it will ever happen again