2018 NFL off-season thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

ric

Re: 2018 NFL off-season thread

Post by ric »

Saw this article since Google changed its homepage into a newsfeed...The 2015 NFL Draft 1st-rounders have fallen short So let's review... How many of these 32 players have actually Fallen Short... I count 4 legit busts 4/5 dudes who kinda fell through the cracks of bad coaching and circumstances. That makes 24/23 easy success stories. Really pretty good shit. Considering there were some terrible picks in 2015 its actually pretty fucking good draft.
1. Jameis. In fairly high powered offense but recently replaced by Fitzpatrick (a person who has a decent amount of success comparatively). OK. But really...much better than most other young qbs despite the ints
2. Mariota. Unfair IMHO but OK. Plays for coaches who didn't want to go where they should have gone offensively but also it's not like the backups are really doing anything when Mariota is injured etc. Nonetheless not what you idealized from a 2 pick.
3.Dante fowler. Just traded to the rams after being under super bust hc gus Bradley and now under marone. This is one of those situations where I'm like... OK... So the jags have no use for him but a top 3 NFL squad does and were calling this pick a bust? Lulz.
4. Amari Cooper. Oak. Played for some good coaches then waffles then Gruden The Tank. Now the cowboys plan to make him the next Dez Bryant. Motherfucking lulz. Bust? I think not but we'll see.
5. Scherff ol wash. Right now injured. It's ol so who can say but they changed their shit up this year to be run based so I'm thinking dude probably wasn't a bust
6. Nyj Lenard Williams. Still starting.
7. Kevin white chi wr. Super bad pick really. Remember 2015 the year when everyone thought the NFL was going to trash their outdated offenses and move forward? Kevin white was one of these poster children. Why? Because he's big and fast and made some spectacular catches in college despite being raw as fuck. Have offenses changed? Yes they have. Now almost the whole league is rb centric. Because we all know rbs are frankly better players than most everyone else who can touch the ball and a safe throw for Drew Brees is a safe throw for Jared Goff. Think about that one.
8. Victory Beasley. Starting still.
9. Ereck flowers. Cut by the nyg the team with the worst oline decision making ability in the league (but they are committed to rebuilding) and perhaps some of the worst offensive designing since Coughlin left and now starting for the jags. The team whose new hc said that if he could he'd run the ball every single play. Bust? I mean... The jags almost best the pats to get into the superbowl so I mean... I'm thinking no. Fournette has been unhealthy all season. There's your 3-5 record.
10. Toddamus. Current best player in the league.
11. DB Trae waynes. Currently starting for a pretty fucking good secondary.
12. Danny Shelton browns dl. Bust? Yeah sure.
13. Andrus peat. Ol. Starting for saints.
14. Devante Parker. Wr Mia. Currently starting. Considering how fucked up they've been and that tannehills tutelage has been terrible can you really blame this guy? At least he's starting.
15. Melvin Gordon. Slow start but now currently killing it.
16. Kevin Johnson hou dB. Currently on ir on a team that basically only cares about Def and ol and is letting Obrien work magic in the offense. I'm thinking success.
17. Erik Armstead. Still starting for 49.
18. Marcus peters. Traded from kc to rams because he talks shit and takes chances. Kc Def currently one of the worst in some ways. Rams D currently the death star when healthy. I'm thinking success.
19. Cameron Erving ol. Drafted by browns which has not had a dearth of good decision making or coaching. Traded to kc and currently starts for arguably the highest powered offense in the league. I'm thinking success.
20. Nelson Agholor. Underwhelming career trajectory if current starting wr. Im thinking slight bust here because Phi had to go get their wr talent via free agency. And it's not like Agholor has turned into the guy. Consider his chip Kelly beginnings but also consider they win the superbowl with an essentially chip Kelly personnel set.
21. Ogbuehi. Bengals ol. Not starting. A bust. But it's prolly not his fault really.
22. Bud Dupree. Lb. Steel. Current starter partly because shazier was playing so hard he injured himself out of a career. Dupree was a shaky pick along the same lines as say Kevin white and brashad perriman. Remember this is the year when athletes with shitty technique were being considered superstars in the making if only after you bulked them up. I still think the league was going through Tim Tebow effect and couldn't figure out exactly how that shit worked. And they still haven't. But at least that's shit is put to rest.
23. Shane Ray lb broncos. Right now a backup. Legit bust. One of the few here.
24. Humphries. AZ ol. Still starting.
25. Shaq Thompson. Grew into a 3 down monster.
26. Breshad perriman. See bud Dupree above. Crazy physical attributes terrible technique and mental game. Since when has Baltimore produced its own high quality wr? Not a thing. Has never happened. Torri Smith? Lulz.
27. Byron Jones dB Dallas. Still starting
28. Laken tomlinson. Ol lions. They traded dude to 49 early last season (pre Patricia). 49 extended his contract.
29. Phil Dorsett. Wr indy. Lucks injuries be fucking with the offense. Current starter with pats. Underwhelming productivity a little. Bust? I personally wouldn't think so.
30. Demarius Randall dB gb. Never really watched him play. Remember the taking heads thought this guy was gonna run the Def. Why they thought that I never knew. Probably because at the time the talking head theory was 'oh safeties are in conflict all the time with the new offenses ergo this guy is gonna know how not to be in conflict' something like that. Pretty retarded. Weird pick though. I personally wouldn't call him a bust because what else do you expect? Currently starting for Greg Williams with cle so I mean... Can't be that fucking bad.
31. Stephone Anthony lb new or. Current backup for Mia. Came from a saints d that is now kinda dope but at the time iirc was doing the rob Ryan thing.
32. Malcolm brown dl pars. Current starter

DLG

Post by DLG »

bro did you ever watch Flowers play? He's starting in Jacksonville because of injuries. He has poor technique, is very low effort and has a terrible attitude. It was one of the worst picks of the last 10 years.

Sure, he was supposed to start at RT and got pushed into starting at LT as a rookie because Beatty got hurt, but still, he's never looked anything more than average at best and never corrected his terrible technique.

The Giants are a dumpster fire and have been for a while, terrible draft picks for years. One of the worst misses to me was going with Evan Engram in 2017 and missing out on Ryan Ramczyk who has 10-year started written all over him.

ric

Post by ric »

@dlg
that's what I've seen of flowers along with some dominating shit but he's playing starting LG at Jax right now. I'm just saying. Where's the failure? if he's out the league or benched in two years I'd consider it total failure.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

settle down Baker, Pat and Aaron are way more dangerous bro

g9hood

Post by g9hood »

colts
eaglez
patriots
9ers
panthers
cowboys
dolphins
lions
raiders
pEAce/k1LLaforN1a

ric

Post by ric »

In re Cleveland and league roll call
Right from the fucking jump I was weary of Hugh Jackson. That dude said in the fucking press conference that the reason why he was excited to be in Cleveland was the new strategy guy Paul depodesta of moneyball fame. And I'm like no fucking way. This dude just got fired from the raiders. A situation he was probably glad to be out of because Al Davis supposedly tries to run the team. Now he's over at the browns who just hired depodesta as a 'football strategist' so he could co-opt build the offense and defense and motherfuckers really thought Jackson would be cool with that shit. The small success Jackson had on offense a couple years ago was when they tried using art briles as offensive consultant. Corey Coleman actually knew what he was doing. Josh Gordon had a couple explosive games and then got in trouble for being drunk during games. Then they bring in Haley like 'save us' because the le'veon bell/le'veon Conner system. So then they go and get Carlos Hyde AFTER drafting nick chubb. My guess is podesta drafted chubb and Haley and Jackson wanted Hyde. Then they trade hyde and then immediately after fire Jackson and Haley. Probably because they figured Jackson and Haley despite all their apparent discord had an agreement to limit chubb or at least agreed that they weren't really gonna play him (maybe they thought he wasn't ready or maybe they did or didn't care). Which the whole point of bringing in depodesta is that the team is played the way they're built. Now they may not have known what they had in deshone Kizer because ND I mean that is just bullshit. But they know what the have in baker Mayfield and they don't want to fucking squander trying to jam this guy's star shaped peg into Todd Haleys and Hugh Jackson's pentagonal offense. So scrap these motherfuckers and let the guy who all he wants do is run a slick defense and stay around in the fucking league after Favre gate (and his patron Jeff fisher is out of the fucking league) and give him the hc position so he can have his oc do what depodesta wants. And considering the draft moves they've made its hard to disagree really. I mean that organization seems to be utterly lost in creating alignment from top down. But they've got jabrill fucking peppers on his rookie deal and they must be fucking tired of spinning their wheels for 3 Ws in 3 yrs of football.

Which is just fucking funny. I mean nfl may be a little (emphasis on little) different but here's the thing dude. The Houston cougars are right now a top offense in a college football landscape full of great offense. Kendall briles calls all the plays with hand signals from the sideline with just his two (or one) hand(s). They scrapped Tom Hermans offense (which got him the Texas hc job) which is also brother to urban Meyers tosu offense so they could run an offense which has no playbook. Kbriles and his fellow Baylor counterpart oline coach are at Houston right now and last year these guys made lane kiffin a fucking all star at fau then they leave and now fau is just a nice collection of lane kiffin bs as we all fucking thought it would be because we knew that shit wasn't gonna be dope without Saban (and I knew briles and co were the juice yr 1). And the uh offense. Their qb? Was a motherfucking second string wr last year.

So I guess what I'm saying about the browns is: what the fuck you guys? Football is detail oriented but this shit is only football.

Motherfucking Kyle Shanahan is working with either the qb who has lived in the system, the qb who was trained by the gawds, or the qb basically off the street running honestly mostly the same shit his dad ran with John fucking Elway and mixing in some of the new shit and some of the shit that sounds new but is old

Andy Reid is sitting over there looking like an angry vengeful cherub putting pat Mahomes in the best possible position to succeed and that dude is a fucking stallion.
And Todd fucking Haley thinks baker Mayfield should see the field like rothels and that nick chubb needs to sit behind a guy who couldn't run inside zone for Harbaughs last year with 49 (partly because tomsula sure)

Mitchell trubisky a guy who could barely take a snap gm 1 this year is over in chi putting up 300yds/game because helfrich and Nagy are doing chemistry of their own went out and got Robinson maybe the best wr in the game and drafted Anthony Miller

It's just a fucking shame buf still thinks the secret to cam
Newtons success was that he is big and can run and that Josh Allen is the guy because he is both of those things.
Lulz. It's like they literally think this

The lions beat the pats because they know the key to the Def and they know how to beat Brady and McDaniels. The titans beat the pats because Vrabel knows Belichicks Def as a player and probably has a pretty good idea how to beat Brady and McDaniels

The rams are suffering from a myriad of injuries and still managed to beat a sea team despite having a large part of the game in Jared goffs hands. You can thank wade Philips and Todd Gurley for that shit. Seriously though the rams run game is pretty dope and that front 6/7 is killer enough to beat anybody

Fucking steel get better after Haleys departure and le'veon hold out. The Ravens draft Lamar Jackson in the 1st rd. Go get rg3 to teach him how to pro and in case of injury. Go get the oc who under Andy Reid was doing Mike Vick with. Has one of the best ds in the league. And Harbaugh still wants Flacco. Motherfucking lulz. Give those motherfuckers that briles good good and watch that shit fly.

Im convinced chip Kelly thought in his head 'I have a contract for 5 years and therefore I have a 5 year plan'. Dude should have had a 2 yr plan under a 5 yr contract.

Raiders intentionally tanking. I'm sure of it now. Gruden does suck though.

I am convinced Belichick is going the briles route and years ago (maybe 07 but maybe 09) chose one fairly simple path that they just watch and grow every year on offense.

Nyj suck dude. Nyg fans gotta wait til next year to see if they'll get better. Vikes playing some fucking ball. Glad to know Zimmerman is a pragmatist unlike his patron Marvin Lewis is still spending his career sticking up for character and not really manufacturing wins

DLG

Post by DLG »

If the Giants pick in the top 3 they should try to get Bosa and then sell the farm next draft to get either Tua or Fromm.

The lack of pass rush is easily the worst thing about this team.

Anyone but fucking Nick Mullens would have hung 40 on them easily last night with all that time to throw.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Future is bright in Indy, very bright. Ballard and Reich are absolute slam dunk hires and there isn't a QB in the league better than Luck now that he has an O-line. Still a bunch of holes on defense and at wide receiver after TY, but this team will be a perennial contender sooner than later. Sitting at 5-5 but looking at their schedule, this team has a legit shot to finish 10-6. Now if someone would just beat the effin Texans

DLG

Post by DLG »

Colts definitely look good. I'm sure everyone is pretty stoked about McDaniels flaking now.

Last night was pretty sick.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Just crazy, probably the best game I've ever seen. As great as the offense was, it was the 2 Donald strip sacks and the insane pick six by Ekubam that are permanently etched into my memory.

As great as it was, Saints/Chiefs is the Super Bowl we all deserve.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Chiefs probably kicking themselves they didn't go after another CB at the deadline.

ric

Post by ric »

Ugh. I fucking missed this game because I was ridiculously tired the other day and I slept like 15 hrs. Fuck.

ric

Post by ric »

In re luck
Do you guys like le'veon in indy? Luck loves to run the ball. But le'veon has miles on him and is kind of a bitch and a weed smoker (perhaps the real reason for the holdout is le'veon just wants to get high all day now that weed is a thing in the US). There's not exactly a shortage of rb talent coming out of college and you even have love from Stanford coming out soon. If you make le'veon a staple and pay him like a staple it seems to take away from the true offensive potential of Andrew luck and of course the defense needs to be built with money not just words and happy thoughts about championships. Especially on this team. Irsay or whoever runs shit isnt exactly the hood

alpha

Post by alpha »

It’s an interesting fit. But I think their GM would pass based on cap philosophy and that Luck is making bank.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

The only reason I wouldn't totally rule it out is that I think there is a wide chasm between the kind of contract he's seeking and the kind of contract he'll legitimately get. If any GM gives him more than 2 years guaranteed I would consider that GM an imbecile. He'll probably find a team like the Jets that's willing to overpay, but he knows playing in Indy behind that O-Line and w/ Luck is ideal, but what RB isn't it ideal for? RB should be the last of the Colts worries, focus needs to be on cornerbacks, pass rush, and a #2 WR.

DLG

Post by DLG »

watching this Georgia - Alabama game.

Giants definitely need to go defense this draft and then sell the farm for Fromm. Dropping dimes all night against the best.

alpha

Post by alpha »

True Sophomore iirc

ric

Post by ric »

Steel blowing leads like a prostitute in a dick sucking booth.
:bunk:

Oh no offsides oh my God.
Oh no my fucking god
Oh my fucking God.

DLG

Post by DLG »

that shit was crazy, three in a row. I would have smashed my tv.

also, Kelce >>>> Gronk

DLG

Post by DLG »

would McDaniels leave hoodie for a chance to coach Godgers?

ric

Post by ric »

DLG wrote:would McDaniels leave hoodie for a chance to coach Godgers?
Great great question.
Personally I believe the answer is no. But that must be a fucking tasty morsel. Well see.

Staff must be part of the reason why Patricia went to the lions. I'm gonna hold on to Stafford in my dynasty league because I do think they'll figure a way to make it work for him and they're building a similar run first foundation yr 1

DLG

Post by DLG »

the playoffs are going to be great. all of the best teams have enough weaknesses to make it interesting.

Saints with homefield advantage might be the surest thing.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

To think even just a couple weeks ago (after the Jax shutout), I was leaning towards wanting the Colts to miss the playoffs...Now they sweep the state of Texas including last Sunday's shutout of a hot Cowboys team (which I was lucky enough to watch from a suite!!!) and they look as good as almost any team in the league. Missing Doyle is a big loss that limits their upside, but they are playing so damn well right now. With their luck, they'll have to go play the Chargers round 1 which is my sleeper super bowl pick.

Actually that's my call, Hunter Henry comes back for the playoffs and a defense led by Bosa and Derwin James leads the Chargers to a chip. They have the best roster in the league IMO and they're getting healthy at the right time.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Chargers always find a way to fuck up.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

So did the Eagles

ric

Post by ric »

Derwin James is fucking killing the league. Dude is everything.

Chargers. Kc. Newor. Pats. Rams. Bal actually pretty interesting. Hou is in this. Dal legit contenders. Sea gelling at the right time. And of course steel. I mean this shit could be fucking sweet.

DLG

Post by DLG »

I'm with Bengi on the Colts, if they get in, they could be a problem.

No love for the Bears, ric? That defense can wreck a game. Scarier than Baltimore imo.

Houston has had a very easy schedule in terms of the QBs they have faced, don't really think they're that good.

ric

Post by ric »

@dlg
Bears sure. Killer killer d. I love it. I didn't realize trubisky was back. I thought they were just sunk. Well see how the offense rolls. But yeah that Def is playing championship caliber ball.

In re Texans
You guys would know more than me. I'm all about broad strokes and the little I can see.
Spoiler about my life lately why I haven't been watching as much as I want...
I wish I could say Ive been watching a bunch of football but I haven't. Work has been crazy lately and the schedule rotates and it's fucking tiring. And I got my computer back from Ireland fairly recently so I haven't been watching game pass because I've been studying for work. Which is necessary right now. And I've got some side projects I'm working on too. And it sucks right now because I'm not really getting laid because work is terribly inconvenient and because I'm spending so much of my time studying. Which to be fair is good in the sense that at least I'm not browsing Facebook for 4.5 hrs per day. But right now I'm pulling 60+ hrs per week at work and studying on the side. Crisis situation. Worst. Timing. Ever. On the upside I got a promotion because I've been dominating. But still. That means no football. So it's been suboptimal for sure. I'm working at a luxury bar in a luxury hotel. So if I want to dominate (and I do) I have to know a bunch of stuff about a large range of alcoholic products all of which are essentially unique because that's what the alcohol landscape is basically especially once you get into the expensive/exclusive shit. We are the only bar on the west coast that carries Hennessey Richard which is cool because when you buy it they fly it in from France with a personal courier. We're the only bar in WA that carries patron en lalique. That's a tequila shot that costs 950$ and only like 1700 bottles were produced worldwide and each bottle was handmade and intentionally distinct. If you're not feeling spendy we've got Louis XIII for only 350$ or maybe some clase azul reposado for 30$ if you want to do shots. We've got most of the balvenie line. We've got a bunch of champagne. We're prepping for a new year's moet Hennessey sponsored champagne extravaganza. We've got Dom P 4 different ways. Up to 800$ per bottle. We've got Cristal. Anyway good times and cool stuff but it's taking up a lot of my life.

Really curious to see what the packers will be up to this off season. Huge impactful decisions going on.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

lol

ric

Post by ric »

I have to say my curiosity is piked about Derrick Henry. He's playing like we all knew he ought to have been playing. At least his highlight reel and numbers are what they should have been coming out of school but then it's possible munchak or whoever fucked him up. I'm just curious to know what's up in Tennessee. Because my guess is he got into the league and they tried to change him up. He looks right now like the rb he did in college and he's running all over everyone. He's a good teammate. I'm willing to bet he was coached to do some dumb shit. Just seems like further evidence saban is running an NFL caliber program