"wrote off as a John Stockton Clone"

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

OMNI

Post by OMNI »

OMNI wrote:
This thread is silly, Nash couldn't hold Stockton's jockstrap. Do you think Stockton would have gotten badly out played by Tony Parker in his prime?

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Reiteration of an opinion doesn't make it any more valid.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

Cash Rulz wrote:Nash is better at dribble penetration than Stockton.

Stockton was just smarter so he figured ways to get the ball to the open man without it.

Understand also, an assist is only an assist when the person you pass to scores. So it must also be taken under consideration that Stockton did often pass the ball to someone who was able to make their shots and shot much higher percentages than anyone that Nash is passing to.
don't underestimate amare

and marion

and Q

and both JJs.

yeah malone is better then anyone nash might have now. but also remember, nash has more toys to play with and a more up tempo offense then stockton has ever played with as well. GAME OVER

FuckYou

Post by FuckYou »

Gregg Popabitch wrote: don't underestimate amare

and marion

and Q

and both JJs.

yeah malone is better then anyone nash might have now. but also remember, nash has more toys to play with and a more up tempo offense then stockton has ever played with as well. GAME OVER
Damn. This floored me. I really agreed with Cash until I read this.
"George Bush doesn't care about black people."
-Kanye West

Peeping Tom

Post by Peeping Tom »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:

Stockton was just smarter so he figured ways to get the ball to the open man without it.

Understand also, an assist is only an assist when the person you pass to scores. So it must also be taken under consideration that Stockton did often pass the ball to someone who was able to make their shots and shot much higher percentages than anyone that Nash is passing to.

and marion

and Q

and both JJs.

yeah but stockton's whole O was based on pick and rolls where he would dump the ball off to malone for a 15 footer or drive and dish it out to Hornicek or whoever else was at the 3

While Malone made Stockton better...Nash makes Amare/Marion/Q Rich/JJ better

stockton is still better though

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

in Stockton's best 5yrs he averaged more PPG than Nash, a full 2assists a game more

and actually could you know play defense

Stockton is a better scorer, better passer, better defender .. and Nash isn't worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as Stock

Stock puts up 17ppg 18apg if he is in his late80's form for the Suns this yr

face it Nash won an MVP this year with a season that might be better than Stockton's ...9th best year

Peeping Tom

Post by Peeping Tom »

eternalreflection wrote:in Stockton's best 5yrs he averaged more PPG than Nash, a full 2assists a game more

and actually could you know play defense

Stockton is a better scorer, better passer, better defender .. and Nash isn't worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as Stock

Stock puts up 17ppg 18apg if he is in his late80's form for the Suns this yr

face it Nash won an MVP this year with a season that might be better than Stockton's ...9th best year
its a different game

just like it wasn't uncommon for people to get 15+ rebounds

add to the fact that he had one of the greatest if not the greatest PF to ever play...his assists all coming off a pick and roll where he would be in control of who scored EVERY play...stockton is still better, but ya'll act like nash didn't have a great season(Still not MVP worthy though)

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

and don't forget... stockton is the 3nd best ball stealer next to The God MJ himself and The Answer..

when was the last time you saw Nash pick a pocket and run it back for an electrifying JAM!!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

T-Wrex wrote:and don't forget... stockton is the 3nd best ball stealer next to The God MJ himself and The Answer..
what about mo cheeks and alvin robertson?

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Peeping Tom wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:

and marion

and Q

and both JJs.

yeah but stockton's whole O was based on pick and rolls where he would dump the ball off to malone for a 15 footer or drive and dish it out to Hornicek or whoever else was at the 3

While Malone made Stockton better...Nash makes Amare/Marion/Q Rich/JJ better

stockton is still better though
he only plalyed with hornacek for like 4-5 seasons. other years it was jeff malone, john starks, and i think hersey hawkins.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Peeping Tom wrote:he had one of the greatest if not the greatest PF to ever play
Tim Duncan?

Peeping Tom

Post by Peeping Tom »

Sankofa wrote:
Peeping Tom wrote:he had one of the greatest if not the greatest PF to ever play
Tim Duncan?
Karl Malone

you know the same PF that was on the NBA 1st team more than Jordan

Was a top 10 rb and scorere EVER!

yeah that PF

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Peeping Tom wrote:
Sankofa wrote:
Tim Duncan?
you know the same PF that was on the NBA 1st team more than Jordan

Was a top 10 rb and scorere EVER!
that first comment deserves an asterisk. we should all pretend those two years w/o jordan never happened. lol.

top 10 scorer, perhaps. top 10 rebounder ever? eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek, let me see.

chamberlain
russell
rodman
jerry lucas
nate thurmond
moses malone
walt bellamy
wes unseld
barkley
elvin hayes
hakeem olajuwon
kareem
elgin baylor

off the top of my head.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Peeping Tom wrote:
Sankofa wrote:
Tim Duncan?
Karl Malone

yeah that PF
Without Stockton setting him up, Karl Malone wouldn't have come close to sniffing the top 10 scoring ranks. As many points and rebounds and weights as he's moved, he's still soft. I'd take Duncan in a heartbeat, even with his Malone rookie year foul shot technique. Maybe Teeem needs to start muttering under his breath?

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Sankofa wrote:
Peeping Tom wrote:
Sankofa wrote:
Tim Duncan?
Karl Malone

yeah that PF
Without Stockton setting him up, Karl Malone wouldn't have come close to sniffing the top 10 scoring ranks. As many points and rebounds and weights as he's moved, he's still soft. I'd take Duncan in a heartbeat, even with his Malone rookie year foul shot technique. Maybe Teeem needs to start muttering under his breath?
interesting fact.

tim duncan has been on the NBA All First Team every year he's been in the NBA.

djm13

Post by djm13 »

while i agree that TD>malone....that doesnt make his statement wrong

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:

and marion

and Q

and both JJs.

Its not about underestimating Amare. But he's not as good a shooter as Malone was.

All the others you mentioned are streaky. Excellent potential amongst them, but they don't step up as often as they should. I would say they are probably more athletic than whoever Stockton had, but they weren't better shooters. (see Peeping Tom)

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Cash Rulz wrote:Its not about underestimating Amare. But he's not as good a shooter as Malone was.
And Malone wasn't as Kempesque a threat to drive and throw it down as Amare is. There isn't exactly a bunch of Stockton to Malone alley oop footage out there.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Cash Rulz wrote:All the others you mentioned are streaky. Excellent potential amongst them, but they don't step up as often as they should. I would say they are probably more athletic than whoever Stockton had, but they weren't better shooters. (see Peeping Tom)
you're crazy. yeah, malone over amare. given.

but name a single player that stockton had that was nastier offensively then marion, JJ, and Q.

and i'm a huge hornacek fan.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

YO MAN hornaceck...i didn't think it was possible to be the whitest man on that team, you already had ostertag and stockton alone, hornaceck beat em both and he was straight up hustler on the court. i wanna shake that man's hand some day, that jazz team was simply awesome.

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

Jazz were definitly the NBA's version of the Hoosiers with the token Niggas being Byron Russel and Karl Malone yes massa asses. Stockton > Nash any damn day.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

blessingindisguise wrote:Jazz were definitly the NBA's version of the Hoosiers with the token Niggas being Byron Russel and Karl Malone yes massa asses. Stockton > Nash any damn day.
wtf

it's like people can't remember far back when the jazz had jeff malone and thurl bailey

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

I don't really remember thurl bailey

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

blessingindisguise wrote:I don't really remember thurl bailey

Have you guys seen Jeff Malone recently? Or should I say, the guy who ate Jeff Malone for breakfast? He's a coach in the NBDL and his days of shooting leaning sideways jumpers are looooooooong gone.

CarlosDelgothoes

Re: "wrote off as a John Stockton Clone"

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

lolthread

alpha

Post by alpha »

Hahaha. How did you remember this?

ric

Post by ric »

great ressurrect

every team the jazz played against knew what was coming all day ere day. but they couldn't stop it because Stockton is the greatest ball distributor of all time

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Re:

Post by capable_keL »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:

and marion

and Q

and both JJs.
:larry:

Hey, by the way who's Curt?

an-also