Larry Brown as Cavs President is a disaster in the making...

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

OMNI

Larry Brown as Cavs President is a disaster in the making...

Post by OMNI »

The guy is the best COACH in the league (maybe 2nd best-Poppa), but he knows nothing about cap management, patience, and other GM things.

Every NBA columnist has said how Brown had tride to talk his GMs in the past to trade his best players when he gets frustrated with them.

from peter May:

"There should be 29 teams praying that Cleveland brings in Larry Brown to run the basketball operations. That way, it pretty much guarantees that LeBron James will be traded by Christmas.

Brown is a Hall of Fame coach and deservedly so. He's also a Hall of Fame equivocator regarding players under his watch. On any given day, he would demand that so-and-so be traded, which is always why it was a good idea to have someone like Donnie Walsh (Indiana) or Joe Dumars (Detroit) as the final voice. Then again, if the Brown-to-Cleveland story has any legs -- and Brown said he hadn't talked to new Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert -- it would only drive home again how little Gilbert knows about the NBA.

But there's also the Detroit side, which could make for an even more interesting drama. Brown says he's told Dumars that he would accept Dumars hiring a new coach. Some might interpret that to mean, ''Please, Joe, go out and hire a new coach because I don't want to be here anymore." Brown's health is an issue. He also has been going nonstop for pretty much the last three years. But you have to believe that Dumars already has Plan B if Brown can't/won't come back. You also have to believe there won't be a human barricade of Pistons players at Dumars's door demanding that Brown remain.

The Brown story has overtaken that of the Pistons themselves, mainly because Brown can't help himself (remember him constantly trashing the Olympic team and selection process) and loves to read, see, and hear his name because it validates something that, frankly, doesn't need validation. The guy can coach. But, as Detroit Free Press columnist Michael Rosenberg noted, ''This might be the only team in the NBA where the coach is higher-maintenance than the players."
Last edited by OMNI on Tue May 31, 2005 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OMNI

Post by OMNI »

The Cavs should let every FA walk (including Z) and go all out for Joe Johnson (or Bobby Simmons) and Earl Watson.

Then try to package the young fellows (Jackson, Diop) for a steady big guy (like a less crazy Fortson would be perfect).

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

I don't know if I can co-sign all that shit they're saying about Larry Brown loving attention, but health-wise I can understand why he'd be getting out of coaching. I'm not sure tho' that would translate into being effective in the front office.

the Wiper

Post by the Wiper »

OMNI wrote:The Cavs should let every FA walk (including Z) and go all out for Joe Johnson (or Bobby Simmons) and Earl Watson.

Then try to package the young fellows (Jackson, Diop) for a steady big guy (like a less crazy Fortson would be perfect).
eh...

so, with all that money that they have, you want them to let everyone go, and pick up joe fucking johnson?

who exactly will play underneath the hoop?

20 million dollars to spend, and this cat wants 'em to end up with joe johnson and bobby simmons.

who?

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

If he ended up GM'ing, he'd be as insanely bored as Larry Bird and Pat Riley look during their games.. Bird and Pat, every time they get put on camera, look like they're just chomping at the bit to go to the bench and coach..
ImageImage
ImageImage

OMNI

Post by OMNI »

the Wiper wrote:
OMNI wrote:The Cavs should let every FA walk (including Z) and go all out for Joe Johnson (or Bobby Simmons) and Earl Watson.

eh...

so, with all that money that they have, you want them to let everyone go, and pick up joe fucking johnson?

20 million dollars to spend, and this cat wants 'em to end up with joe johnson and bobby simmons.

who?
hmmmmmmm......

The Joe Johnson who just scored 26 (on 10 for 16 shooting) on Bruce Bowen in the Western Confrence Finals, while being injured. The guy who is unselfish enough to share the ball with four other great scorers in a contract year.

Who is years younger then Allen. Who has less of an ego then Redd (and would cost less).

Yeah...that's the guy.

OMNI

Post by OMNI »

T-Wrex wrote:If he ended up GM'ing, he'd be as insanely bored as Larry Bird and Pat Riley look during their games.. Bird and Pat, every time they get put on camera, look like they're just chomping at the bit to go to the bench and coach..
Bird couldn't coach because its hard for him to tell average to great players how to play like Larry Bird.

He looked like he always wanted to play.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Yeah, I don't get it either. But Gilbert got who he wanted. Who knows, it might turn out to work...for 2 years, until LB wants to start coaching again. If you're doing everything to keep LeBron happy, then why are you making the Olympic coach he didn't get along with his new boss?
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OMNI

Post by OMNI »

the cavs have two good thinsg going for them:

1. Lebron James
2. 21 million under the cap

Larry Brown as GM will destroy number 2, and that will force lebron out of town.

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

Was Mike Brown an assistant under Larry Brown in Indy?
ImageImage
ImageImage

OMNI

Post by OMNI »

T-Wrex wrote:Was Mike Brown an assistant under Larry Brown in Indy?
No

he probably came into the league w/ Rick in Detriot.

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

OMNI wrote:
T-Wrex wrote:Was Mike Brown an assistant under Larry Brown in Indy?
No

he probably came into the league w/ Rick in Detriot.
Winner of an NBA championship ring in 2003 as an assistant with the San Antonio Spurs and Pacers coach Rick Carlisle's top assistant the past two seasons, Mike Brown fits Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert's requirement that his next coach come from a ``highly successful organization.''

just found this nugget.

niiiiice.
ImageImage
ImageImage

SoulClap

Post by SoulClap »

OMNI wrote: Who has less of an ego then Redd (and would cost less).
Redd has an ego? Since when? Dude is one of the most humble guys in the league.
The game is a oxymoron; we sold free-base

OMNI

Post by OMNI »

SoulClap wrote:
OMNI wrote: Who has less of an ego then Redd (and would cost less).
Redd has an ego? Since when? Dude is one of the most humble guys in the league.
When asked about playing for the Cavs, Redd said he doesn't want to play second fiddle for anyone.

The guy is an all star but not a franchise player. he would score like 28 a game playing with lebron

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

yeah, redd is mad chill. i can't cosign that.

i do like joe johnson alot though. i think omni likes him alot cause he's a former boston draft pick.

an-also

Post by an-also »

I would rather want joe johnson playing along side lebron than redd. Joe is younger and seems level headed. Giving big Z a huge contract could turn out to be disastrous cause i have a feeling he might keep getting injured again.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

I'd rather have Ray Allen

his shot is impeccable and he can take over the game if need be

Joe Johnson was only covered by Bowen when he started to heat up

he is a better defender than Allen but his stats are inflated playing for the run and gun suns

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

the Wiper wrote:

eh...

who?
They should get Shareef and Joe Johnson and either have Johnson play the point (like he does sometimes in Phoenix), move James to SG (with Reef at SF), or have Reef come off the bench as a 6th man to give Z or Gooden a rest.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

hahhaahah

larry brown is gonna get mad when they drop 7-10 in a row and hang lebron out to dry

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

the 6:00 news here said Larry's good as gone..

his famalam is moving back to philly and he'll commute from Phi to Cle during the week..
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dids

Post by Dids »

I'm going to laugh my ass off when/if this happens.

Brown's a good coach, but since when does that mean he's a good GM?

He won with a team that Dumars put together and the Carlise helped build. Then Dumars fucked Rick (which was amusing, because it let Larry fuck Isiah) to bring in Brown and he gets all the credit.

The guy's fucking walking chaos.

I don't see Lebron staying a Cav for long.

An aside- anybody who pay Ray Allen a max deal will be hating life in 3 years.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Dids wrote:I'm going to laugh my ass off when/if this happens.

He won with a team that Dumars put together and the Carlise helped build. Then Dumars fucked Rick (which was amusing, because it let Larry fuck Isiah) to bring in Brown and he gets all the credit.

I don't see Lebron staying a Cav for long.

An aside- anybody who pay Ray Allen a max deal will be hating life in 3 years.
why do you say that!?!?

with Ray you know your getting a consisten 20 5 4 guy who shoots 45% and 40% three point shooter..his game isn't that where he gets injured alot and he knows how to defer to other players

Joe Johnson on the other hand is a product of Steve Nash and all his stats which still doesn't equal Allen is a product of the offense he is in...put Ray in there and he'll mos def be a 25 7 5 guy

EDIT: JOE JOHNSON still has some mean D though

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

HE'S NOT GOING TO BE BUILDING THE TEAM!

HE'S GOING TO BE THE PRESIDENT OF OPERATIONS....
........NOT THE GENERAL MANAGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're looking to hire the GM from the Wiz..
Hmmmm.. I wonder how many Golden State freeagents are available..
ImageImage
ImageImage

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

Dub post.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Mo Cheeks

Post by Mo Cheeks »

Dids wrote:I'm going to laugh my ass off when/if this happens.

2001 Sixers

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Dids wrote:He won with a team that Dumars put together and the Carlise helped build. Then Dumars fucked Rick (which was amusing, because it let Larry fuck Isiah) to bring in Brown and he gets all the credit.
This is pretty much the truth. It's like when Tampa Bay won the Super Bowl with Jon Gruden after Tony Dungy built the whole thing up. That's not to say he's not a great coach, he's obviously very good. But in 33 seasons of coaching (NCAA, ABA, NBA) he has exactly 2 titles (one in college in like 1988 and the recent one in Detroit). That's a long-ass time to coach with only 2 titles. I think the best job he did was with the Sixers when they went to Finals because it was basically Iverson and roleplayers. But you just get the impression that he's one of those coaches that stops a practice scrimmage every possesion down to "teach." He just seems to have agendas with playing younger guys. Does anyone remember why they fired Carlisle? I think it was because he wasn't playing the young guys like Prince enough. Whatever. I hope the Pistons and Cavs are both jacked up for many years to come.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

T-Wrex wrote:GM from the Wiz..
Hmmmm.. I wonder how many Golden State freeagents are available..
good stuff

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Post by bringinoutbangerz »

Ernie Grunfeld (Wizards GM) is going NO WHERE--- I will be at his crib, nine to his dome, making sure he remains in MCI Center giving Larry Hughes his money.

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

bringinoutbangerz wrote:Ernie Grunfeld (Wizards GM) is going NO WHERE--- I will be at his crib, nine to his dome, making sure he remains in MCI Center giving Larry Hughes his money.
i cant wait to see that on ethe 11oclock news
ImageImage
ImageImage

the Wiper

Post by the Wiper »

as probably the only person who's been to a home cavs game in this thread (not much to brag about, i know), i certainly hope the majority of you guys are wrong.

cleveland is honestly a great, great sports city. better than most of the cities you guys rep.

think about it, when's the last time the cavs, browns or indians have won a title? but yet the fans are there every single night...i went to the indians-a's game this past saturday, and there was 32,000 people there...

against the a's. two teams under .500.

not to sound biased, but cleveland deserves to keep lebron, and after reading this thread, i hope gilbert doesn't fuck that up...he'd be found floating in lake erie i imagine...