NBA Offseason Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

OMNI

NBA Offseason Thread

Post by OMNI »

Free agents are now free.

This summer will decide if lebron stays with the Cavs. They have enough money to sign 2 great players, and a solid role guy. But Ferry wants to keep Z, who i think will be injury prone and over the hill very quickly. I wouldn't give him a big contract, but this is the NBA.

redd, allen, and JJ seem like they will stay with their teams. So Bobby Simmons or a more controlled Larry Hughes would be a good fit for Cleveland.

-Paul Pierce is on his way out. the Clippers called about trading Corey and "others" for him, Ainge wasn't having it at all. He won't settle like Orlando did, but Paul could force his hand.

Sankofa

Re: NBA Offseason Thread

Post by Sankofa »

OMNI wrote:lebron wants to keep Z, who will be injury prone and over the hill very quickly.

OMNI

Post by OMNI »

I've heard that Lebron actually wants to let Z go, and give a big offer to his boy Eddy Curry. Owner Dan Gilbert also wanted to let Z go.

But GM Danny Ferry wants him back, and talked Gilbert into keeping him.

They should let Z explore his options, because there is no market for him. Then he can come back to them for around 7-8 mil, instead of the 10-12 he wants.

No other team under the cap will pay him more then 6, beside maybe Atlanta.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

the knicks are supposedly looking at dalembert, chandler, curry, kwame brown, and jerome james. also antoine walker (what is isiah's fascination with this guy?)

i heard hte nets are looking at chandler, donyell marshall, and shareef.

OMNI

Post by OMNI »

gary payton won't be back with the Celtics, thank god.

If the Celtics keep PP, then I want Green in the NBDL. He'll be stuck in the rotation behind PP, Davis, Allen, and gomes.

I kind of like Walker on the knicks. I think he is very ineffective as a player (bad knees and can't jump) but he brings leadership and passion to a team.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

OMNI wrote:I've heard that Lebron actually wants to let Z go, and give a big offer to his boy Eddy Curry. Owner Dan Gilbert also wanted to let Z go.
Heartbeat Curry? Wow, I'd rather go for a center with bad feet who's played healthy for two seasons, can rebound and doesn't have questions about his work ethic than go for Heartbeat. I heard that LeBron was all about keeping Z, now he's recruiting Curry?

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

OMNI wrote:If the Celtics keep PP.
Mopy Pierce has to go. Let the Cs eat the next couple seasons and then be bonsai-don't eat cap space needed to re-sign those cats either.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:i heard hte nets are looking at chandler, donyell marshall, and shareef.
If I cared about the Nets, I'd hope they get Chandler.

alpha

Post by alpha »

cavs shoud get rid of Z and sign a dalembert(sp?) or a eddy curry type. even stromile swift would be a better fit for the future, IMO.

question, where the hell antoine walker end up?

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

alpha wrote:question, where the hell antoine walker end up?
He might end up eating crow and signing back on with the Celtics for about 6 per after realizing the only team able to spend money on him is the "weren't you just here?" Hawks.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Sankofa wrote:
alpha wrote:question, where the hell antoine walker end up?
He might end up eating crow and signing back on with the Celtics for about 6 per after realizing the only team able to spend money on him is the "weren't you just here?" Hawks.
cool, PP should stay in boston. they have a good young team

an-also

Post by an-also »

Sankofa wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:i heard hte nets are looking at chandler, donyell marshall, and shareef.
If I cared about the Nets, I'd hope they get Chandler.
I heard the nets are lookin at Dalembert too. He would be my top pick out of those guys.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

i heard chad ford on the radio and said dalembert was #3 on his top free agents list.

omni, you'll have to post that up foolio. redd was first, allen was 2nd. walker was 13th or 15th.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

an-also wrote:I heard the nets are lookin at Dalembert too. He would be my top pick out of those guys.
Likewise, he's a pogo stick and could start many a Net fastbreak with his rebounding and shotblocking. He could even be on the finishing end of a break. I'd be on the fence between Dalembert and Chandler if Chandler didn't have a history of injuries.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:chad ford on his top free agents list...post that up.
For future reference, the sports forum at niketalk often has Insider reposts...

NBA Insider...July 1: Top 25 free agents; Hollinger chat; Stein chat;

Redd and Allen head a deep free-agent class
By Chad Ford

Now that the draft is behind us, NBA teams quickly switched gears Wednesday and began preparations for the 2005 free-agent frenzy.

Who will have the cap space to make a difference in this summer's free-agent market?

Assuming there's a $49.5 million cap (based on the latest projections with the new collective-bargaining agreement), the Cleveland Cavaliers will have roughly $28 million in cap room. The Atlanta Hawks and Seattle Sonics will have $25 million, the Charlotte Bobcats and New Orleans Hornets roughly $20 million. The Los Angeles Clippers will have about $16 million. The Chicago Bulls will have about $15 million. The Milwaukee Bucks have cleared about $12 million.

Will they really want or be able to use it? The Sonics, Bucks and Bulls likely will spend all of their room re-signing their own free agents. The Cavs will use roughly $10 million to $12 million of theirs in an attempt to re-up Zydrunas Ilgauskas. And the Bobcats likely will save much of their cap space for summer 2007.

That leaves the Hawks, Cavs (roughly $16 million to $18 million, if they sign Ilgauskas), Hornets and Clippers as the big players in the free-agent market. Since only one of those teams, the Cavs, has shown it can compete for the playoffs (though the Clippers are getting close), the free-agent destinations for top veterans will be very limited.

This year's list of free agents isn't top-heavy, but it's deep. Ray Allen, Michael Redd, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Antoine Walker and Ilgauskas top the list of unrestricted veterans. Of that group, Allen, Walker and Abdur-Rahim are the most likely to bolt for new teams.

The restricted free-agent class looks much better, but remember, going after restricted free agents in the summer is always a dicey proposition. Only two top restricted free agents changed teams last summer. The Nuggets swiped Kenyon Martin from the New Jersey Nets (the Nets eventually agreed to a sign-and-trade) and the Phoenix Suns pried Quentin Richardson away from the Clippers.

Here's Insider's look at the free-agent class of 2005. The names on the board might leave fans (and GMs) breathless. Whether most of these guys actually will switch teams is another question.

Top 20 2005 Free Agents
Key: R = Restricted free agent | PO = Player Option | TO = Team Option

1. Ray Allen, SG, Sonics
The skinny: Of the top-tier guys on the list, Allen has the best shot at leaving. He tried to work out a big extension with the Sonics all season, to no avail. The two sides essentially bickered over whether the last year of a five-year deal would be guaranteed. Allen has threatened to bolt if the Sonics don't up their offer

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

marko jaric is a free agent?

i like him. solid role player. 6-7 pg that plays good defense. has a decent outside shot too.

put him in orlando, and they make the playoffs. that way you can move francis off the ball.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

alpha wrote:PP should stay in boston. they have a good young team
I agree that they have a good, young team but I think the Celtics would be better off having the enthusiastic leadership of Antoine Walker instead of the grey clouded nature Paul "ready to be the king until they gave me the crown" Pierce. If I had to choose between the two players based solely on skill sets, PP would be my choice, but we're talking about a young impressionable team that needs more than talented players-they need fire. Antoine's shot selection is horrible, but his getting traded back to Boston helped ease the weight of that crown on Greycloud's head.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Sankofa wrote:
alpha wrote:PP should stay in boston. they have a good young team
I agree that they have a good, young team but I think the Celtics would be better off having the enthusiastic leadership of Antoine Walker instead of the grey clouded nature Paul "ready to be the king until they gave me the crown" Pierce. If I had to choose between the two players based solely on skill sets, PP would be my choice, but we're talking about a young impressionable team that needs more than talented players-they need fire. Antoine's shot selection is horrible, but his getting traded back to Boston helped ease the weight of that crown on Greycloud's head.
well when u put it that way it works. isnt part of PP dissatifactionhave to do with walker getting traded?

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Michael Redd just got offered a max deal by the Bucks (6 years, $80-90 million) and Cleveland offered Redd 5 years, $60-70 million. So all you Cavs fans better quit that pipe-dreaming about him joining up with LeBron because I don't think he's gonna give up 20 mil to play second fiddle to someone who looks destined to leave in a few years anyway. I think Redd's getting overpaid but Amen to him.
Last edited by stupidregister on Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

stupidregister wrote:Michael Redd just got offered a max deal by the Bucks (6 years, $80-90 million) so all you Cavs fans better quit that pipe-dreaming about him joining up with LeBron. I think he's getting overpaid but whatever.
i can still see redd signing with the cavs. we'll just have to wait and see. i'd rather him resign with the bucks anywho

bogut signed today too

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Sankofa wrote:I agree that they have a good, young team but I think the Celtics would be better off having the enthusiastic leadership of Antoine Walker instead of the grey clouded nature Paul "ready to be the king until they gave me the crown" Pierce. If I had to choose between the two players based solely on skill sets, PP would be my choice, but we're talking about a young impressionable team that needs more than talented players-they need fire. Antoine's shot selection is horrible, but his getting traded back to Boston helped ease the weight of that crown on Greycloud's head.
I mean Peezy is catching so much hate lately because he had one subpar year. The man dominates the 4th on a nightly basis and he's getting benched cause Rivers don't like him but now you don't expect him to be sour? He's clutch and I still think he's a leader and if you don't have to give up much to get him, he's a steal.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Snuggles the DESTROYER

Post by Snuggles the DESTROYER »

For the basketball minds of PF more advanced then my own:

The infallible Chad Ford decrees:
PHOENIX SUNS
Players they might lose: Steven Hunter, Joe Johnson (R), Jake Voskuhl

Players they might pursue: Samuel Dalembert (R), Vladimir Radmanovic, (R), Raja Bell, Nikoloz Tskitishvili

Current cap position: $45.7 million ($3.8 million under the cap)

Analysis: Priority No. 1 for the Suns is re-signing Joe Johnson. They've already made one drastic move this summer (sending Quentin Richardson and their No. 1 pick to New York for Kurt Thomas), proving that they'll do what they can to keep him. Johnson will likely get big offers elsewhere, but at the end of the day, it looks like the Suns are prepared to match. The Suns also want Hunter back, but won't overspend to get him.

The Suns have other lofty ambitions, including landing a shot-blocker like Dalembert or sweet-shooting small forward like Radmanovic. To get either guy, they'd have to work out a sign-and-trade. It appears that Shawn Marion, once again, will be the trade bait.

As far as their mid-level exception, the Suns agreed to spend most of it on swingman Raja Bell Friday.
:naswtf:

I haven't read other opinions...but these would be horrible.

The only thing Radmanovic has over Marion is a nickname. "The Matrix" Marion or the potentional "Rad Man" Radmanovic.

Suns drafting: Good.
Trading:..............hit or miss.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Yeah the Suns look like they are on the verge of blowing that team up. They signed Bell which is ehhh but for 5/$25 mil? I thought they were trying to save cap space. Hey Phoenix, you weren't that bad last year.

an-also

Post by an-also »

stupidregister wrote:Hey Phoenix, you weren't that bad last year.

SoulClap

Post by SoulClap »

Damn Bell for 5 mill a year? I like the signing but not at that cost. On the bright side Bell's gonna add toughness to the team and he'll prolly be their best perimeter defender next to Marion. He's not a bad shooter either.
The game is a oxymoron; we sold free-base

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

SoulClap wrote:Bell for 5 mill a year? I like the signing but not at that cost.

an-also

Post by an-also »

Apparently Shareef Abdul-Rahim will sign with the nets. He might be on his first ever winning team in his career. Peep his teams records since he's been drafted.
1997: 14-68
1998: 19-63
1999: 8-42
2000: 22-60
2001: 23-59
2002: 33-49
2003: 35-47
2004: 28-54
2005: 27-55

:ohsh:

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

an-also wrote:Apparently Shareef Abdul-Rahim will sign with the nets.
This is a great move for NJ. His name kept coming up for two years when he was with Portland and I guess he liked what they had to offer. But look at their starting lineup:

PG - Kidd
SG - Carter
SF - Jefferson
PF - Abdur-Rahim
C - Krstic

:ohsh:

They're obviously a solid run-and-gun team, pretty much every one of those players can get up and down the floor. But with Shareef along with Nenad, Vince and RJ, they have a good half-court post game and solid shooters on the wings.

The Nets are looking pretty damn good right now. Right now they look like the 3rd/4th best team in the East and definitely the favorites to win the Atlantic. If they can shore up that bench with a nice backup PG and some size, they could contend for the East crown.

an-also

Post by an-also »

they will definately be fun to watch no doubt. A. Wright should be a good spark for them off the bench.

Sir Loin

Post by Sir Loin »

the nets problem with that lineup wil be that they dont have any big physical guys to rebound and play defense with the shaqs,j oneals and wallaces of the east