That Tiger Woods Nike commercial...

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Nuke
I Hate Blacks & Jews

That Tiger Woods Nike commercial...

Post by Nuke »

where he's playing St. Andrews as a little kid... is the dopest commercial ever. Someone deserves some serious props for that commercial. I love it!!! Is there anyone who can post it so I can save it on my computer forever. :grin:

an-also

Post by an-also »

Iv only seen it once and it was pretty dope.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

The little dance he does after he holes out that chip kills me everytime
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Good shit. Too bad Tiger had more personality when he was a kid.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nuke
I Hate Blacks & Jews

Post by Nuke »

stupidregister wrote:Good shit. Too bad Tiger had more personality when he was a kid.
He always seems to have a good attitude when doing interviews... in my opinion. He may not have much personality on the course, but he's usually very honest, apologetic, funny in his interviews.

Someone needs to post pics of his wife.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

fuck that, that reebok, AI and the "none of these things can get you a jumpshot" commercial is the best shoe company commercial out right now.

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Post by bringinoutbangerz »

I.AM.TIGER.WOODS

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Nuke wrote:
stupidregister wrote:Good shit. Too bad Tiger had more personality when he was a kid.
He always seems to have a good attitude when doing interviews... in my opinion. He may not have much personality on the course, but he's usually very honest, apologetic, funny in his interviews.
He's boring as fuck.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

thisshit is great:
http://www.nike.com/nikegolf/flash_reg. ... rinterview

boring.....not really......he is just not very animated but he generally shoots straight and does have a sense of humor......that being said, that commercial is awesome. People knock Nike for days.....but they always have the nicest commercials hands down........but that AI jumpshot one is great too.

Dids

Post by Dids »

That commercial is dope.

FoJaR

Post by FoJaR »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:fuck that, that reebok, AI and the "none of these things can get you a jumpshot" commercial is the best shoe company commercial out right now.
Last edited by FoJaR on Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

From the land of the UNBANNED

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

The..Golf..Course..Looks..Good..My..Golf...Swing...Feels...Good...I....Like....Myyy....Chances
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Prophecy wrote:The..Golf..Course..Looks..Good..My..Golf...Swing...Feels...Good...I....Like....Myyy....Chances
Throwing out the spliced Tiger Woods blast. Well done, clone.

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

Nuke wrote:

Someone needs to post pics of his wife.
hahaah I just LOLed over this post

rakesh1

Post by rakesh1 »

can someone post that video where hes bouncing the golf ball on his club and then hits it

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

this commercial, and the Lance Armstrong Nike commercial with his press conference when he announced his cancer diagnosis give me da goosebumps!
When people think of Providence, Rhode Island they typically think of organized crime

rakesh1

Post by rakesh1 »

Brougham33 wrote:thisshit is great:
http://www.nike.com/nikegolf/flash_reg. ... rinterview

boring.....not really......he is just not very animated but he generally shoots straight and does have a sense of humor......that being said, that commercial is awesome. People knock Nike for days.....but they always have the nicest commercials hands down........but that AI jumpshot one is great too.
their soccer commercials are pretty cool

the ones where they compared players to animals were dope. like the boykins to that frog, lebron to the lion, etc

which ai video?

Nuke
I Hate Blacks & Jews

Post by Nuke »

Dunnnnleavy wrote:this commercial, and the Lance Armstrong Nike commercial with his press conference when he announced his cancer diagnosis give me da goosebumps!
I just watched it again... you can see it at that link that was posted (not the interview... the original commercial with the music playing). Yeah, I had goosebumps again when watching it. :)

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... eel/050721

Who Is Tiger Woods?

By Eric Neel...Page 2

It's not always the games that get you. Sometimes, it's the filler.

As memorable as Tiger Woods' performance was at St. Andrews last weekend, it's his latest Nike ad that you're still thinking about four days later.

Here's young Tiger getting interviewed at the Old Course.
You've seen the spot half-a-dozen times now: A very young Tiger, from the old "Michael Douglas Show" days, has been mapped onto the fairways and greens of the Old Course, crushing 3-woods and sinking putts (there's a second commercial that also features a post-tourney interview).

Robert Zemeckis pulled this kind of trick with Tom Hanks in "Forrest Gump," and adidas did a similar thing in ads with Muhammad and Laila Ali squaring off in a fictional fight last year. The results are always striking; a blend of the fresh and the familiar, with brave new world technology delivering a sweet dose of the good old days. You can't not watch.

What you see with the Tiger bit is joy. And you melt a little when you see it, the way you do when any cute kid flashes a precocious grin. You're not impressed and you're not in awe -- you're simply charmed by this Tiger. His game, even with the pressures, the cameras, and the dollars, is just that -- a game.

There's comfort in this. The larger-than-life superstar, the Jordanesque corporate entity, the player who's so good he's taken the fun out of things, is having fun. The 30-second ad is a feel-good moment that cuts against the cynical grain of your post-heroic feel for the modern athlete, and maybe echoes your own experiences -- not as a golfer necessarily, but as a kid, doing whatever you loved to do.

But of course, despite what an earlier Nike ad once claimed, you aren't Tiger Woods. He's Tiger Woods. He's the man who, even as a boy, was crushing 3-woods and sinking putts. He's the freakish Mozartian prodigy with 10 career majors and 20 career major top-10s before his 30th birthday. He's the best golfer of his generation, making a run at becoming the best golfer of all time.

In light of this, the ad starts to do other things. On the one hand it demystifies Woods by making him a cute kid, but on the other it only underscores his legend, reminding you that he's been special, very special, from the moment he could first hold a club. So even as this little charmer is scampering over the grass, doing the funky celebration walk, and tugging at your heartstrings, he's also always already moving in some world you'll only ever dream of, some sphere you can't quite imagine, where the opponent isn't the playing partner or the course, but history, the records, and the other guys (Jack, Arnie, Ben) with just one name. This is the Tiger you root for or revile. This is the one who inspires.

And you watch this, and maybe it's on your second or third viewing that you wonder: What's the relationship between Tiger then and Tiger now, between the boy and the man, between the game and The Game? Is his fire and single-mindedness always infused with that little guy's sense of fun? Or has he, like Paul in the letter to Corinthians, "put away childish things"? Is there a blend of joy and determination in what he does now, or does the cutthroat competitor inevitably overwhelm whatever sense of play the kid might once have had?

I don't know about you, but looks like there's a bit of a boyish smile there.
Maybe more to the point, and more to the poignant, has he been able to hold on to, is it possible to hold on to, that young boy's enthusiasm and delight in a sports world full of critics who, as much as they admire his play, have sometimes found him too corporate, not warm enough, too single-minded, and not political enough. Has young Tiger the player, you wonder, survived the evolution into adult Tiger, the cultural icon?

The commercial's sound track inspires such wondering. That tune you can't stop humming (which last made a pop-culture appearance during the closing credits of Wes Anderson's sorely underrated "Rushmore") is The Faces' "Ooh La La" (first released on an album of the same title in 1973), and for all its jangly lilt, it's actually a melancholic ditty, the lament of a man burned by lovers and love. He should have listened to his old granddad, who warned him, "They'll trap you when they use you before you even know." He should have hidden himself away, shouldn't have "ever let it show." Replace lovers and love with fame and glory, with fans and media, and you've got a sorrowful something at work here: "I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger."

Now maybe you're too jaded to give a damn about the problems of a millionaire athlete, and maybe Tiger's never been your cup of tea. But maybe, too, at the intersection of this tune and these pictures of the boy wonder, you feel the icon slipping away and the human being coming to the surface. Maybe now you're not just identifying with him (Who hasn't felt the sting of disappointment? Who doesn't long, in his own idiosyncratic way, for the innocence of days gone by?), but you're also empathizing with him, respecting the demands and uncertainties of leading so public a life, understanding how, even if he loves it, even if he wants it, it might come with a price, might have a sad, nostalgic sort of undertow to it.

You wouldn't buy this from him if he told you straight out it was true. You wouldn't give it a second thought. You'd be all, yeah, yeah, yeah, Claret Jug, Green Jacket, blah, blah, blah, Elin Nordegren, Buicks for life, the almighty Swoosh, yadda yadda yadda.

But sometimes, when it's done well, it's the filler that gets you.

Eric Neel is a Page 2 columnist

Nuke
I Hate Blacks & Jews

Post by Nuke »

^^^^ good article Sankofa. I dunno. I still enjoy watching Tiger on the course and in his interviews. Perhaps I'm insane... I dunno? Especially considering I hate on a lot of athletes.