larry brown and the knicks

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

spidah

larry brown and the knicks

Post by spidah »

now that its actually possible...

will it happen? if so, will they go anywhere?
i mean.. if Larry just brought the knicks into the playoffs and went to the 2nd round he would be an absolute hero.

an-also

Re: larry brown and the knicks

Post by an-also »

spidah wrote:if so, will they go anywhere?
no

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

I mean Larry's a good coach, but let's look at this logically. The Pistons team he inherited was built by Rick Carlisle defensively. Then Rasheed falls into his lap for nothing and they roll as a team. It's not like he worked miracles when they give him the best starting five in the league.

I mean what's the knock on Larry...he rules with an iron fist and he never plays young guys. Uhh, that's the Knicks right there. Yeah Nate Robinson is killin it in summer league, but what does Larry care? He didn't even play the 2nd pick overall and you think he's gonna play a 2nd rounder? C'mon man, you can't be teachin an old dog new tricks. I think Marbury and Crawford will improve under him because he seems to work very well with guards in that mold (Iverson, Billups). If he can get them to coexist consistently, they have a chance to sneak in but I can't see that happening overnight. Larry tends to break guys all the way down and then try and build them up and it takes a lot of patience and listening. Besides all that, they're still not a good defensive team at all and are filled with guys who play the same position. I think if he got this team into the playoffs, they'll build him a freaking statue in front of the Garden. I just don't see it happening this year, especially with all the improvements the teams in the East have made.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

^all on point

I'll crib a page from Eric Kuselias (yes, I had to google it to find the spelling) of the SportsBash (Brothers RIP) on ESPNradio and say "this move would help nobody but Isiah, he'd keep his job a couple years longer".

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

I'm going to keep hope alive. It'd be nice to see them into the second round of the playoffs and then I could talk shit again.

But I dunno. I haven't even paid attention to them at all and they just haven't given me any reason to. Do they actually have the talent to have a playoff season?

djm13

Post by djm13 »

last night i had a dream that we traded stephon marbury for lebron james

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

You should be happy to trade Steph for Ervin Johnson.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

hey, i'll take the ervin johnson with AIDS.

but that's with an A.

if we get brown, i think we'll make the playoffs. one thing brown is good at is making his players understand their roles on the team and playing that way. and i think stephon marbury and the rest of the players on this team need that. i think he will play nate robinson and possibly channing frye and david lee. sure he didn't play darko, but he HAS played tayshaun prince alot in his second year, travis best, antonio davis, sean elliot, and david robinson (ok fine no brainer) when they were young. if he sees they can play and fit a role on the team, i'm sure he'll give em some time.

i think an 8th or 7th seed isn't out of the question. iverson had some of his best years under brown, including an MVP campaign. he turned billups into a top PG. i have hope he can make stephon finally get it.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Gregg Popabitch wrote: i have hope he can make stephon finally get it.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... 2044c.html
Less than one week before the Olympics began last August in Athens, Larry Brown met with officials from USA Basketball and lobbied to have Marbury cut and sent home, along with another unidentified player, prior to the Opening Ceremonies.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

"Look at what happened with Chauncey Billups in Detroit. He was a guy who struggled at first. He and Larry didn't always see eye-to-eye. But then he was the MVP of the Finals and had another great year. Coach Brown helped him become a better player. He can do the same with Steph."

In fairness, Brown coached Marbury for less than two months last summer. And even Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich, who was Brown's Olympic assistant, acknowledged that Marbury had the toughest assignment because he had to learn Brown's system on the fly.

djm13

Post by djm13 »

stupidregister gets served

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

djm13 wrote:stupidregister gets served
lol

this is coming from a wishful knick fan to say the least
Nets 2022

djm13

Post by djm13 »

djm13 gets caught

OMNI

Post by OMNI »

Brown doesn't play Darko, he does play young players.

He gave Prince the chance to make the leap.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

OMNI wrote:Brown doesn't play Darko, he does play young players.

as well as travis best, antonio davis, and sean elliot all in their rookie years.

david robinson was a rookie too but he shouldn't count. YOU HAVE TO PLAY A FRANCHICE CENTER

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:

as well as travis best, antonio davis, and sean elliot all in their rookie years.

david robinson was a rookie too but he shouldn't count. YOU HAVE TO PLAY A FRANCHICE CENTER
All five of them were probably (too lazy to check) four year starters in college.... Prince had freakin' Tubby Smith teaching him the fundementals for four years.. Darko played a half season in Madrid, Spain for christ's sake, going up against the likes of Rusty LaRue and an ancient Olden Polynice..
ImageImage
ImageImage

djm13

Post by djm13 »

well frye, robinson and lee all have lots of college experience

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:

not to be a nitpicky ass, but i know this only b/c i'm a well-documented pacer fan

travis played like 9 minutes a game his rookie year...LB played him more in the playoffs b/c mark jackson was a defensive liability and haywoode workman (i loved that guy) an offensive liability...the next year, they traded MJ-lite to denver, and haywoode tore up his knee...best STILL only averaged like 20 or 25 minutes a game even after given the starting job in the beginning of the season only to lose it back to mark jackson who got traded back to them (which was a magnificent trade i might add, as the piece we got for mark originally - jalen rose - was kept on the team...not to mention we later threw jalen's max contract to chicago somehow when everyone knew he had no lateral quickness or jumping ability to play great defense...i love donnie walsh)
Nets 2022

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

T-Wrex wrote:Olden Polynice..

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

Brown's Town.
ImageImage
ImageImage