MLB Thoughts

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

BEST NL MVP ARGUMENTS

Ryan Howard, 1B, Phillies A .559 batting average, seven home runs and 10 RBI in his first 10 September games, as well as the potential for the eighth .300-50-150 season in baseball history make Howard the favorite at this point. The problem is that the Phillies are just 5-5 in that span. What also might hurt is Pat Burrell's struggles. As long as Burrell continues on what's now a 1-18 funk, Howard is going to get the Barry Bonds treatment, being walked in just about every situation where he could do damage.

Albert Pujols, 1B, Cardinals If Howard falters in the last few weeks, Pujols will eclipse him. Despite missing two weeks due to injury, Pujols should end up far surpassing his career highs of 46 home runs and 127 RBI. The reputation as baseball's best clutch hitter (he entered the week hitting .383 with runners in scoring position and .333 in late-inning pressure situations) can only help his case.

Carlos Beltran, CF, Mets Beltran is the best player on the NL's best team and enters the week leading the league in runs scored. He's also the best road player in baseball, entering this week's six-game swing with a .342 batting average, 24 home runs and 75 RBI in 62 road games. That the Mets have been among baseball's best road teams this season has been one of the biggest keys to their success.

Lance Berkman, 1B, Astros Berkman will need a huge surge to push the Astros into the postseason and have any chance, but his numbers actually stack up pretty well. He's off to a good start in September, with a .367 batting average, three home runs and nine RBI entering the week. Berkman has a history of late-season success, particularly in 2005, when he helped Houston reach the postseason by hitting .319 with 11 home runs and 27 RBI that month.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Motherfuck a Lance Berkman.

I'd be happy with any of the other 3 though.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Peeping Tom wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:
Myjah wrote:
yr gangsta conscience wrote: and Myjah - 100 fewer at bats, imagine how many HR/RBI he'd have if he hadn't missed that time.

if only mauer were as productive
Mauer bats 3rd, he's not going to get so many RBIs.
in today's baseball, the #3 hitter is usually the teams best hitter and gets alot of RBIs.
yeah think big papi'

stupid myjah dumb cunt
Big papi bats third because the red sox also have Manny. I highly doubt he'd bat 3rd if the Red Sox didn't also have manny (or some other big bat).

Ok, so I don't really know how other teams do it. On the Twins, players who get on-base the most bat 1-3, and the power (or rather more power?) hitters bat 4th and 5th. (1-3 guys get on base so the 4-5 guys can bat them in.) This seems to make the most logical sense to me, so I guess I incorrectly assumed this was how most/all teams did it.
I <3 Employee.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

I stumbled upon the VORP (Value Over Replacement Player) stats leaders: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/stati ... ?cid=99976

Miguel Cabrera surprisingly is the leader in the NL. Ryan Howard and Albert Pujols are right behind him. Hafner is first in the AL, but he's injured. Jeter is the next one by a good margin over Jermaine Dye.

Johan Santana leads all pitchers by a lot. Carpenter in the NL.

Uggla and Ramirez are basically even for all rookies and have a big lead over the next player.

Josh Johnson leads all NL rookie pitchers.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

For you're reading pleasure...

Liriano Activated from DL http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2583711

Brad Radke -- the Anti-Pavano http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ase/060906

Oh, I llooovve how the Twins just started doing what I kept saying they should do--just just relievers the entire game! Who needs starting pitchers when you have an awesome bullpen. :gyeah:
I <3 Employee.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

Philaflava wrote:BEST NL MVP ARGUMENTS

Ryan Howard, 1B, Phillies A .559 batting average, seven home runs and 10 RBI in his first 10 September games, as well as the potential for the eighth .300-50-150 season in baseball history make Howard the favorite at this point. The problem is that the Phillies are just 5-5 in that span. What also might hurt is Pat Burrell's struggles. As long as Burrell continues on what's now a 1-18 funk, Howard is going to get the Barry Bonds treatment, being walked in just about every situation where he could do damage.

Albert Pujols, 1B, Cardinals If Howard falters in the last few weeks, Pujols will eclipse him. Despite missing two weeks due to injury, Pujols should end up far surpassing his career highs of 46 home runs and 127 RBI. The reputation as baseball's best clutch hitter (he entered the week hitting .383 with runners in scoring position and .333 in late-inning pressure situations) can only help his case.

Carlos Beltran, CF, Mets Beltran is the best player on the NL's best team and enters the week leading the league in runs scored. He's also the best road player in baseball, entering this week's six-game swing with a .342 batting average, 24 home runs and 75 RBI in 62 road games. That the Mets have been among baseball's best road teams this season has been one of the biggest keys to their success.

Lance Berkman, 1B, Astros Berkman will need a huge surge to push the Astros into the postseason and have any chance, but his numbers actually stack up pretty well. He's off to a good start in September, with a .367 batting average, three home runs and nine RBI entering the week. Berkman has a history of late-season success, particularly in 2005, when he helped Houston reach the postseason by hitting .319 with 11 home runs and 27 RBI that month.
i find it extremely strange how miguel cabrera is not on this list.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:

i find it extremely stupid that miguel cabrera is not on this list.
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

Magneto wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:

well duh his team sucks, obviously

he is having a monster monster year

Mauer was missing from the AL side of the article too, good stuff

unrelated MN 5-1 vs Detroit/Oak in a huge homestand they look very good right now

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

HAHAHAHA Pujols got this nigga Lidge SHOOK.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Magneto wrote:HAHAHAHA Pujols got this nigga Lidge SHOOK.
seriously

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

eternalreflection wrote:
Magneto wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:

well duh his team sucks, obviously

he is having a monster monster year

Mauer was missing from the AL side of the article too, good stuff

unrelated MN 5-1 vs Detroit/Oak in a huge homestand they look very good right now
As far as MVP goes.. Morneau>Mauer. Morneau has been not only better in runs, rbis, etc. etc., but has been hitting better than Mauer since the all-star break
I <3 Employee.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

As far as MVP goes.. Morneau>Mauer. Bost are agreeing at this point it is between dye and Morneau--whoever leads his team to the playoffs wins!
love affairs with HR/RBI totals has lead to many total fuckups in MVP voting, huge ones include

Juan Gonzalez 96/98(Arod's season was almost 2x better in 96, 98 was ugly as well, but not quite as bad)
Ivan Rodriguez 99(Jeter clearly much better, Nomar also well ahead)
Tejada 02(Arod had a much better year, couple others too)

thats just the AL and just the last decade, other ones were questionable Giambi 00, Ichiro 01

right now currently Jeter is the AL MVP, it could change in the next 18games(well if the season was truely over today I would vote Hafner, but since it isn't, it goes to the next guy down the list, which is Jeter)

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

eternalreflection wrote:
Magneto wrote:HAHAHAHA Pujols got this nigga Lidge SHOOK.
seriously
Last night effectively ended the Astros shot at the postseason. They really needed to sweep the Cards, but 2 outta 3 would have been liveable.

Lidge has been a mess all year, he's never been the same since Pujols destroyed him in the playoffs. Probably the hardest hit ball I've ever seen. Apparently Lidge has been tipping his pitches off to hitters this year. Plus I think dude is a big time head case.

I think I'd be okay with moving Lidge if it would help bring in a bat or a quality starting pitcher. Clemens is 99 percent gone again, and Pettitte is a free agent.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Liriano hurts his arm again and has to leave the game. Twins are finished

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Magneto wrote:Liriano hurts his arm again and has to leave the game. Twins are finished
Wow, there's no way he can pitch again this season.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Magneto wrote:Liriano hurts his arm again and has to leave the game. Twins are finished
DONE

yr gangsta conscience
Baseball America

Post by yr gangsta conscience »

heh.

not a surprise at all.

they're gonna ruin his career fucking around like this.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Atleast the A's are smart with Harden.

Peeping Tom

Post by Peeping Tom »

hahahahahahhahaha stupid fuckin twin dumb ass bastids

ruined their future ace hahahahahhahahha

damn he's done, career over, can we say dusty baker and cubs syndrome!!!

hahaha where's myjah sobbing so i can lick the tears off her face

hahahahahhahahahah
Barstow CA:
myspace.com/clintonwayne

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Philaflava wrote:
DONE
he missed the last 4weeks and MN did well

he was dominant in the first 2innings, also its elbow pain not necessarily a big injury, Im sure it was a 0tolerance thing

lets wait for the MRIs before jumping to conclusions

though this isn't exactly the best news

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Peeping Tom wrote: hahaha where's myjah sobbing so i can lick the tears off her face
Well said.

Only 28 pitches? Damn.

White Sox still have to win games for any of this to matter at all...

Andro

Post by Andro »

eternalreflection wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
DONE

he was dominant in the first 2innings, also its elbow pain not necessarily a big injury, Im sure it was a 0tolerance thing

Exactly.

This board is full of reactionary faggots.
BayAreaHustla408 wrote:i dont wanna be straight!

Peeping Tom

Post by Peeping Tom »

Andro wrote:
eternalreflection wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
DONE

Exactly.

thats the same thing they said about woods and prior

ehhh its just pain not a big deal

but when you have a history of injury at such a young age it is

fag boy
Barstow CA:
myspace.com/clintonwayne

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

GO A's

Peeping Tom

Post by Peeping Tom »

Nl5H wrote:GO Angel's
Barstow CA:
myspace.com/clintonwayne

Andro

Post by Andro »

Peeping Tom wrote:
Andro wrote:
eternalreflection wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
DONE

Exactly.

fag boy
Actually Im not really referring to that. It could be a mojor issue in the future, and I think he's for sure done for this year.

I'm referring to people saying the Twins are done.
BayAreaHustla408 wrote:i dont wanna be straight!

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

They may not be 'done' as far as getting to the playoffs is concerned, but good luck in the playoffs without Liriano or Radke.

yr gangsta conscience
Baseball America

Post by yr gangsta conscience »

yeah, I'd have to agree.
the twins can still quite easily make the playoffs, however without liriano I don't think they'd make it very far.

Peeping Tom

Post by Peeping Tom »

Andro wrote:
Peeping Tom wrote:
Andro wrote:
eternalreflection wrote:
Philaflava wrote: DONE

Exactly.

fag boy
Actually Im not really referring to that. It could be a mojor issue in the future, and I think he's for sure done for this year.

I'm referring to people saying the Twins are done.
oh ma bad

they'll prolly make teh playoffs, but be damned without those two aces to set up the first two wins
Barstow CA:
myspace.com/clintonwayne

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

yr gangsta conscience wrote:yeah, I'd have to agree.
the twins can still quite easily make the playoffs, however without liriano I don't think they'd make it very far.
5-1 last 6games

vs Detroit, Oakland 2 very likely playoff teams, NYY def. will be tough, but they are obviously the favorite right now

Santana only pitched 1game of those, it def. hurts the chances but this is a really good team