The Official MMA Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

SuperFeen

The Official MMA Thread

Post by SuperFeen »

I think there are enough fans in here to utilize a thread like this, so here it goes.

So Wanderlei is NOT going to fight Chuck in september( :lastweek: ), Liddell is fighting Kieth Jardine instead. I think Silva was saying he still wants to fight Chuck, just not till a couple months later, I mean if I was coming off the losses that Silva has I wouldn't want to be thrown in with the sharks right away either, but still man this is the one fight that will be like an asterisk on his career and I can't believe he didn't take it.

Shogun's debut is gonna be against Forrest Griffin, which I think is gonna be a dooooope matchup. From my friends and some internet rumblings it seem like some people are selling Griffin short, he's easily the underdog, but I know he'll give Shogun a run for his money.

oh ya, Sean Sherk AND Hermes Franca failed post-fight drug testing, both for some kind of illegal performance enhancers, so I guess that lightweight belt is gonna be in limbo for a bit, so I guess the question is who is BJ Penn gonna have to fight to claim it?

what chance does Rampage have of defending his title against Dan Henderson? If(when) Dan takes it, he'll have 3 god damn belts, impressive, no?

and finally what the fuck is going on with Dana White and Fedor's camp, you figure Fedor is in the position to make his own terms, but are they really so outlandish that the UFC just won't give it to him. Hopefully they're not so full of themselves that they think Fedor has to sign with them, I've read many interviews saying that Fedor will go wherever the best deal is, and the longer they hold out gives these upstart promotions a chance to break the bank and grab the best fighter in the world.
Last edited by SuperFeen on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

No way the Shogun Vs Griffin fight goes the distance. If Rua can put rampage to sleep you can bet Griffin will suffer the same fate.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

binary

Post by binary »

Prophecy wrote:No way the Shogun Vs Griffin fight goes the distance. If Rua can put rampage to sleep you can bet Griffin will suffer the same fate.
Rampage was out of it during that period, he was on a serious decline. The Chuck win might've rejuvenated his career but who knows. I've never been too impressed by Henderson, Rampage at his best > Hendo at his best IMO. If Rampage can summon the Rampage of old he could whoop Hendo, but as of now I think he just has Chuck's number and I have Hendo as a slight favorite.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

binary wrote:
Prophecy wrote:No way the Shogun Vs Griffin fight goes the distance. If Rua can put rampage to sleep you can bet Griffin will suffer the same fate.
Rampage was out of it during that period, he was on a serious decline. The Chuck win might've rejuvenated his career but who knows. I've never been too impressed by Henderson, Rampage at his best > Hendo at his best IMO. If Rampage can summon the Rampage of old he could whoop Hendo, but as of now I think he just has Chuck's number and I have Hendo as a slight favorite.
Pretty much agree with all of that but basically all i was saying is Rua should KO Forrest as Rua has beaten alot better fighters than Griffin.
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

Dan Henderson vs Liddel is the match i want to most see since this merger.

FightOn

Post by FightOn »

Even though Henderson has shown great improvement with his hands. He better take Rampage down and hold him there. Dan is the better wrestler and is pretty decent at ground & pound. Rampage needs to try and rock Henderson on the entry during the shoot. Henderson has been known to get caught with knees on the shoot.

binary

Post by binary »

the dead poet wrote:Dan Henderson vs Liddel is the match i want to most see since this merger.
Really? I'd rather see Silva vs. Liddell. Liddell needs someone to be super aggressive and throw haymakers or else he just backpedals and waits there the whole fight. I think the best fight would be Denis Kang vs. Anderson Silva, that shit would be dope. Actually anything with Anderson Silva would be dope, pound for pound the illest fighter in MMA right now (aside from the gawd Russian).

The_Kernel

Post by The_Kernel »

Prophecy wrote:Pretty much agree with all of that but basically all i was saying is Rua should KO Forrest as Rua has beaten alot better fighters than Griffin.
He's definitely beaten better fighters, but I don't see this one ending in a KO. For one thing, Shogun has seemed to switch to more ground oriented submission game recently. Secondly, while he has good hands no doubt, he's not so good that Forest won't be able ask some questions of him on the feet. Last thing is that I think he'll suffer more than anyone from the more restrictive american rules since soccer kicks and stomps really do form an important part of his game that goes beyond just finishing fights. All this said, I think his overall game is too much and we'll see either a submission or unanimous decision victory.
FightOn wrote:Even though Henderson has shown great improvement with his hands. He better take Rampage down and hold him there. Dan is the better wrestler and is pretty decent at ground & pound. Rampage needs to try and rock Henderson on the entry during the shoot. Henderson has been known to get caught with knees on the shoot.
I agree that Rampage has the advantage standing, but I think Henderson's size is gonna really work against him on the ground. In my mind Henderson's only chance is to outwork Quinton to the decision victory. If Quinton can beat Lindland than I don't see why he shouldn't beat Henderson.

FightOn

Post by FightOn »

The_Kernel wrote:
Prophecy wrote:Pretty much agree with all of that but basically all i was saying is Rua should KO Forrest as Rua has beaten alot better fighters than Griffin.
He's definitely beaten better fighters, but I don't see this one ending in a KO. For one thing, Shogun has seemed to switch to more ground oriented submission game recently. Secondly, while he has good hands no doubt, he's not so good that Forest won't be able ask some questions of him on the feet. Last thing is that I think he'll suffer more than anyone from the more restrictive american rules since soccer kicks and stomps really do form an important part of his game that goes beyond just finishing fights. All this said, I think his overall game is too much and we'll see either a submission or unanimous decision victory.
FightOn wrote:Even though Henderson has shown great improvement with his hands. He better take Rampage down and hold him there. Dan is the better wrestler and is pretty decent at ground & pound. Rampage needs to try and rock Henderson on the entry during the shoot. Henderson has been known to get caught with knees on the shoot.
I agree that Rampage has the advantage standing, but I think Henderson's size is gonna really work against him on the ground. In my mind Henderson's only chance is to outwork Quinton to the decision victory. If Quinton can beat Lindland than I don't see why he shouldn't beat Henderson.
Good point , about the size difference. But I think Henderson is a better fighter than Lindland. For those of you that haven't seen the Rampage vs. Lindland fight here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1luFOd2y-nU

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

the dead poet wrote:Dan Henderson vs Liddel is the match i want to most see since this merger.

Chuck Earns Cheese

Post by Chuck Earns Cheese »

looking forward to the LW division over anything

kato

Post by kato »

FightOn wrote:
The_Kernel wrote:
Good point , about the size difference. But I think Henderson is a better fighter than Lindland. For those of you that haven't seen the Rampage vs. Lindland fight here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1luFOd2y-nU
but Lindland is a much better wrestler than Henderson.

SuperFeen

Post by SuperFeen »

imo Rampage beat Liddell cuz of his gameplan, he pressed Liddell but he still made him make the first move, which was obviously gonna be a series of strikes. From that point it was only a matter of time before one of em got knocked out. Trust that Dan Henderson isn't gonna cede control of the match like that. I'd give Rampage a slight edge in striking but other than that I don't see any way for him to beat Henderson.

kato

Post by kato »

SuperFeen wrote:imo Rampage beat Liddell cuz of his gameplan, he pressed Liddell but he still made him make the first move, which was obviously gonna be a series of strikes. From that point it was only a matter of time before one of em got knocked out. Trust that Dan Henderson isn't gonna cede control of the match like that. I'd give Rampage a slight edge in striking but other than that I don't see any way for him to beat Henderson.
Liddell can't beat a striker...

and Rampage is too strong for Hendo...imo

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

manwhore wrote:some funny shit jacked from sherdog

Kimbo Slice VS Mark Hunt
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nAgpnow_I6A

Liddell VS Jackson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VajnpCFv2mM&NR=1

Gabriel Gonzaga VS Tim Sylvia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx4COqRmRHU&NR=1

Fedor Emelianenko VS Gabriel Gonzaga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je543q-48Pw&NR=1

Arlovski VS Kongo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-q4rDqkMIw&NR=1

Cro Cop VS Gonzaga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFyY...elated&search=

CROCOP VS ARLOVSKI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AesSWagttpE&NR=1
:rofl: at all of those.

kato

Post by kato »

Prophecy wrote:
manwhore wrote:some funny shit jacked from sherdog

Kimbo Slice VS Mark Hunt
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nAgpnow_I6A

Liddell VS Jackson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VajnpCFv2mM&NR=1

Gabriel Gonzaga VS Tim Sylvia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx4COqRmRHU&NR=1

Fedor Emelianenko VS Gabriel Gonzaga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je543q-48Pw&NR=1

Arlovski VS Kongo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-q4rDqkMIw&NR=1

Cro Cop VS Gonzaga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFyY...elated&search=

CROCOP VS ARLOVSKI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AesSWagttpE&NR=1
:rofl: at all of those.
Also, I seriously think Mark Hunt if in the UFC can win the belt.

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

^^ he wont ever be in the UFC unless he can drop to under 260.

they dont have a super heavyweight division, nor are they likely to.

dana white has gone on record saying he doesnt like the SHW's and they are nothing more than a sideshow fight.

kato

Post by kato »

manwhore wrote:^^ he wont ever be in the UFC unless he can drop to under 260.

they dont have a super heavyweight division, nor are they likely to.

dana white has gone on record saying he doesnt like the SHW's and they are nothing more than a sideshow fight.
Hunt weighs less than 260...he's only 5'10...

Chuck Earns Cheese

hunt will be in the ufc in no time

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

actually your right he is listed at 250.

if he could improve his ground game he would be a top tier fighter imo.

the ufc could at the very least put him against some other stand up only fighters and sit back and watch the brutal knockouts.

Chuck Earns Cheese

i don't know of any HW that wants to take a fight to the ground

FightOn

Post by FightOn »

Chuck Earns Cheese wrote:i don't know of any HW that wants to take a fight to the ground
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria ? and maybe Josh Barnett ?

Chuck Earns Cheese

FightOn wrote:
Chuck Earns Cheese wrote:i don't know of any HW that wants to take a fight to the ground
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria ? and maybe Josh Barnett ?
true but they wont be a bitch about it like sean sherk and go for the shoot right from the bell, both of them aren't scared to throw

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Fedor doesnt seem to mind, coture either.

FightOn

Post by FightOn »

With UFC 74 8 days away anyone have any thoughts on the 2 big fights of the night ? Randy Couture vs. Gabriel Gonzaga and Georges St-Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck.

SuperFeen

Post by SuperFeen »

check this out, Fedor vs Aleksander in a sambo match.

fedor's technique is craaaazzzzy.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2nfgp ... emel_sport

:lol: at Aleksander shaking his hand.

the Wiper

Post by the Wiper »

FightOn wrote:With UFC 74 8 days away anyone have any thoughts on the 2 big fights of the night ? Randy Couture vs. Gabriel Gonzaga and Georges St-Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck.
i really wasn't going to buy this ppv, but those 2 fights intrigue me, and i can't call either one of them...

i'll read up this week, and probably end up following the guy i normally follow, but at this point, who knows? if koscheck thinks he can stand up with gsp, and not immediately take advantage of his wrestling, he could get brutally knocked out...if he DOES take it to the ground, though...

i'd also like to think gonzaga will win, he's good at everything, but couture will gameplan the SHIT out of this fight, and only fight him where he wants to, when he wants to...

i'm more waiting for ufc75, and i thought i might get away with not paying $40 this month, but come next saturday evening, i'll be getting this, only for these 2 fights..

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

the Wiper wrote:
FightOn wrote:With UFC 74 8 days away anyone have any thoughts on the 2 big fights of the night ? Randy Couture vs. Gabriel Gonzaga and Georges St-Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck.
i really wasn't going to buy this ppv, but those 2 fights intrigue me, and i can't call either one of them...

i'll read up this week, and probably end up following the guy i normally follow, but at this point, who knows? if koscheck thinks he can stand up with gsp, and not immediately take advantage of his wrestling, he could get brutally knocked out...if he DOES take it to the ground, though...

i'd also like to think gonzaga will win, he's good at everything, but couture will gameplan the SHIT out of this fight, and only fight him where he wants to, when he wants to...

i'm more waiting for ufc75, and i thought i might get away with not paying $40 this month, but come next saturday evening, i'll be getting this, only for these 2 fights..
Het atleast the next event is free

ADR

Post by ADR »

I plan on attending this event hurr.

Anyone have any experience at a live UFC event?

Tix start at $50, then $100, and increase exponentially from there.

I figure the $50 ones are the nosebleed, can't see shit but the screen, might as well had stayed home and spent that 50 on the pay-per-view and a Philly Cheesesteak tickets. Not to mention being surrounded by glorious a sea of white trash Cincinnati yokels.

I figure I'll at least spring for the 100 bean tickets. Maybe 200.

Here's the official stadium seating breakdown:

PLAZA LEVEL - LOWER LEVEL
US $203.00 - US $403.00

FLOOR SEATING
US $403.00

CLUB SEATING - LOWER LEVEL
US $303.00

LOGE SEATING - UPPER LEVEL
US $53.00 - US $203.00