NFL Offseason Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

While the decision to place the franchise tag on Chicago Bears WR Bernard Berrian isn't due until later today, it's beginning to sound like the team might be leaning on using the marker on him.

In the midst of speaking to the media on Thursday morning, head coach Lovie Smith Smith made it clear the team wants to keep their best receiver.

"We'll try to do whatever we can to keep him," the head coach said.

With a robust $30 million or so in cap space and few options at the receiver position projected to be available in free agency, the team may have no choice but to keep Berrian under the franchise tender of $7.848 million for 2008.

If Chicago decides against using their franchise tag on Berrian, they'll have until next Friday to reach a long-term deal with him or he'll be a free agent. The problem is there's a tremendous risk involved if they don't sew him up for at least one more season and the only other free agent Chicago has that would cost them any thing close to significant money is WLB Lance Briggs. So money shouldn't be an issue in retaining Berrian.

By Scout.com'scount, there are at least 12 teams that are looking for a high-end receiver and Berrian is no worse than the No. 2 free agent at the position (D.J. Hackett being the other). So if Berrian leaves, they'll have to look at the draft to find his replacement.
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

wow, berrian is a franchise player now?

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:wow, berrian is a franchise player now?
exactly my point the franchise tag is retarded.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Prophecy wrote:
if you know the bears offense, it makes sense

sad state of affairs, indeed

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

Prophecy wrote:
the name for it may be retarded, but the function is good, you get to protect your top FA for 1year

which I don't think is a bad thing at all

dox of poorly drawn peopl

Post by dox of poorly drawn peopl »

The Pats this week:
- Offered Zach Thomas a contract
- Didn't franchise Moss
- Didn't pick up Stallworth's option
- Essentially let Samuel walk away

The Moss thing was kinda a surprise, Stallworth and Samuel were predictable. I assume they expect to be able to negotitate with Moss.
the poster formerly known as dead jesus
http://www.myspace.com/justinsayles

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

lol @ chicago

Bears | Grossman agrees to one-year contract
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:24:16 -0800

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears have agreed to a one-year contract with QB Rex Grossman. The contract includes incentives based on playing time and performance. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Zach Thomas signed to play for dallas

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

i was bored this morning and started reading some of the old Mark Chmura court documents.

god i miss football already

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

on other...more current news

FREAK OUT IN PHILLY

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Philadelphia Eagles will be releasing defensive end Jevon Kearse.

Per Schefter, Kearse was offered a pay cut, but a deal to keep him at a reduced salary could not be reached. He was due to earn a base salary of $6.46 million in 2008.

Kearse took the league by storm as a rookie in 1999 with the Titans. Injuries became an issue for him in subsequent years.

He jumped to the Eagles as a free agent in 2004. After recovering from a serious knee injury in 2006, Kearse was buried on the depth chart in 2007.

There has been speculation that Kearse might return to the Titans, who could be losing Antwan Odom in free agency. :ohsh:

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Giants and Falcons are talking about a swap of the Giants first round pick (31st overall) and possibly a later pick for Deangelo Hall.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

eternalreflection wrote:
Prophecy wrote:
the name for it may be retarded, but the function is good, you get to protect your top FA for 1year

which I don't think is a bad thing at all
A team you are not under contract with should not have the ability to control your free agency.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Back for 2008. I can't say I'm mad. Aside from Anderson, what other option is out there? They will draft a QB and get rid of Griese I assume.

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

I'm glad the cowboys signed Zach Thomas, but I think they overpaid. He's getting 1mil base and 1mil bonus. He's not the same player he once was, but the cowboys defense desperately needs a leader.

still illiterate

CaPaBLe_KeL wrote:on other...more current news

FREAK OUT IN PHILLY

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Philadelphia Eagles will be releasing defensive end Jevon Kearse.

Per Schefter, Kearse was offered a pay cut, but a deal to keep him at a reduced salary could not be reached. He was due to earn a base salary of $6.46 million in 2008.

Kearse took the league by storm as a rookie in 1999 with the Titans. Injuries became an issue for him in subsequent years.

He jumped to the Eagles as a free agent in 2004. After recovering from a serious knee injury in 2006, Kearse was buried on the depth chart in 2007.

There has been speculation that Kearse might return to the Titans, who could be losing Antwan Odom in free agency. :ohsh:
what happened to Kearse, or Peppers for that matter.

dox of poorly drawn peopl

Post by dox of poorly drawn peopl »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:Zach Thomas signed to play for dallas
eh, missed that.
the poster formerly known as dead jesus
http://www.myspace.com/justinsayles

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

I have a framed Mark Chmura poster in my hallway.

The Bears are a terrible franchise with a terrible coach.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

still illiterate wrote:I'm glad the cowboys signed Zach Thomas, but I think they overpaid. He's getting 1mil base and 1mil bonus. He's not the same player he once was, but the cowboys defense desperately needs a leader.
dood is a hit away from being a veggie

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:

NFL sources insist Lions receiver Roy Williams is available through a trade, but the asking price is at least one first-round draft pick. http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/491679.html

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

CaPaBLe_KeL wrote::ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:

NFL sources insist Lions receiver Roy Williams is available through a trade, but the asking price is at least one first-round draft pick. http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/491679.html
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... _that.html

:larry:

Roy's great. I want him to stay, but I'd even root for him if he was a Packer.

still illiterate

if I were jerry jones I would give up the #28 pick and a mid round pick for Roy Williams. Pretty sure that the cowboys are going to take a WR with the first two picks anyway.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Oh look, all the top O-lineman or the ones the Jets are targeting are getting re-signed or franchised....what else is new :copy:

I want you all to thank the good lord that you don't share my misery as a New York Jets fan :owens: :larry: :fail: :shittylikesometp: :cry:

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

thug life in purple

six foot 8 355 lbs

Vikings' McKinnie arrested at Miami nightclub

Minnesota Vikings player Bryant McKinnie was arrested Sunday after being involved in a fight at a Maimi nightclub.

Miami police said McKinnie got angry after he was kicked out of "Club Space" and started yelling obscenities and spitting at the club's security.

A club staff member said he wouldn't press charges if McKinnie would just leave.

Police said the Vikings player left, but then came back and started throwing punches and yelling obscenities.

He is being charged with aggravated battery, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

McKinnie has faced legal charges before. He was involved in the "Love Boat" scandal in 2005, pleading guilty to misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

A Vikings spokesperson said they are looking into the charges but have no comment at this time.

:copy:

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Raiders looking to trade safety Michael Huff !!!

anyone know why? His tackle numbers look pretty decent. Is it just a money saving move? I watched him at UT but havent paid attention to him in the NFL. His INTs are really low, but he's only been in the league two years and I've heard some analysts say he's pretty good in Oakland and would be an elite talent in a better organization.

Report: Raiders' safety Huff on trade block

Two league sources tell the Oakland Tribune's Jerry McDonald that it's "no secret" Raiders S Michael Huff is on the trade block.

Huff is going to be hard to trade with that $43 million rookie deal he signed in 2006. It's very surprising that the Raiders would be looking to unload Huff with no viable alternative behind him. Oakland needs a hitter at strong safety so Huff can move to center field and capitalize on his strengths. Feb. 24 - 1:23 pm et
Source: Oakland Tribune

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

T-Wrex wrote:

Hmm, maybe it has legs.. This is new..

Last night we posted that our main source in Indy was reporting the Detroit Lions are shopping star wide receiver Roy Williams in hopes of getting a 2nd round pick in return -- either in the upcoming draft or next years draft.

This has created a buzz on many fan sites and has caused many to ask us why Detroit would even consider trading such a young and talented wide receiver for "only" a second round pick?

Here's the response from our source, when we asked the same question: Williams demands for a contract extenstion are pretty steep, which will knock down the Lions asking price in trades. He is reportedly looking for 8 to 10 million dollars a year, with a 28 million dollar signing bonus.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

JUST PAY THE MAN, MR.FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

T-Wrex wrote:
T-Wrex wrote:

Hmm, maybe it has legs.. This is new..

Last night we posted that our main source in Indy was reporting the Detroit Lions are shopping star wide receiver Roy Williams in hopes of getting a 2nd round pick in return -- either in the upcoming draft or next years draft.

This has created a buzz on many fan sites and has caused many to ask us why Detroit would even consider trading such a young and talented wide receiver for "only" a second round pick?

Here's the response from our source, when we asked the same question: Williams demands for a contract extenstion are pretty steep, which will knock down the Lions asking price in trades. He is reportedly looking for 8 to 10 million dollars a year, with a 28 million dollar signing bonus.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

JUST PAY THE MAN, MR.FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shaun Rogers to be traded for Jonathan Vilma

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

Rogers for Vilma is a good trade for both teams.

Rogers can have easier access to Coney Island.
Vilma comes plays as a Cover-2 MLB in a system he fits.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

T-Wrex wrote:
Rogers can have easier access to Coney Island.

clown shoes

still illiterate

huff has had a rough year, but i'm still surprised to see him get moved so soon. I read his comp % against is one of the worst in the league.

still illiterate

Troy Williamson now a Jaguar

The Vikings have agreed in principle to trade Troy Williamson to the Jaguars in exchange for a second-day pick, according both the St. Paul Pioneer Press and Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
The first day of the draft was reduced to the first two rounds this year, so that's not really narrowing it down. Still, it'd be a shock if the Vikings get more than a conditional fifth-round pick for the drop prone wideout. Trades can't become official until free agency begins at 12:00 ET Thursday night.
Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press