Best concerts you've been to?

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

Russian
NSFW

Best concerts you've been to?

Post by Russian »

Not including hip hop shows.

Emerson Lake and Palmer
Deep Purple
YES
Government Mule
PHISH
Rage Against the Machine was a sick fuckin show which i got beat up pretty badly at a mushpit.

these stand out at the moment

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Neil Diamond
Elvis Costello (3 times, each time very distinct. he is the best)
Bob Dylan (at Jazzfest, so sucky, but still amazing)
GNR
Green Day during Dookie era prime
Weezer (Pinkerton tour)

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Laugh it up, but No Doubt in 03 was pretty darn good.

Russian
NSFW

Post by Russian »

Philaflava wrote:Laugh it up, but No Doubt in 03 was pretty darn good.
no reason to laugh at it, No Doubt was one of the craziest shows i ever been to at Roseland Ballroon in late 90s

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

face to face was awesome live.

just saw modeski, martin & wood, and they were amazing live.

it's laughable but when i was in 8th grade i saw wierd al yankovich live (in fairbanks, AK where we used to get absolutely no concerts) and it was pretty fucking awesome. but like i said i was in eighth grade and the only other concerts i had been to before that were great white and journey lol.

i'll have to revisit this thread i'm coming up with blanks.

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

Hmm...

I don't know that anything is going to top walking in to the world famous Chicago Theatre and watching Ruben Gonzalez, Ibrahim Ferrer, Compay Segundo, Omara Portundo and the rest of the Buena Vista Social Club ROCK MY SOCKS OFF.

The idea of a 90 year old man being walked to his piano and then proceeding to play as though the devil lent him his hands was possibly the greatest moment in my concert going life.

Love,

Smooth Lou

No homo
Hoody Shankz

Post by No homo »

Beth Gibbons was ill in concert.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

Tool in 95, maybe 96, right before Aenima came out, in a small bar in Cincy that's not there anymore. GREAT show.

Lollapalooza 96. Ramones, Soundgarden, Wu-Tang (all of em), Metallica. awesome day.

Rage/Wu-Tang, 97 maybe? Can't remember. Rage is incredible live.

NIN

hmmmm

Warped Tour 99 was really fun, can't remember who all was there though. I think BEP played, that was RIGHT before they set the bar for selling out. Green Day played maybe in 2000, that was really fucking good. Definitely one of the best live acts doing it, and I'm not really even that big of a Green Day fan.

Every Primus concert is amazing. Specifically the Buckethead/Incubus/Primus show in 2000 I think it was. Standing 6 feet away from Buckethead while he's playing is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in my life.

Russian
NSFW

Post by Russian »

Andvil wrote:Every Primus concert is amazing. Specifically the Buckethead/Incubus/Primus show in 2000 I think it was. Standing 6 feet away from Buckethead while he's playing is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in my life.
always wished to be there, must have been a blast

some chick

Post by some chick »

No homo wrote:Beth Gibbons was ill in concert.
she did put on a really great show..

i have a hard time remembering as i've seen so damn many shows..

two recent great ones i went to were Lucero, and then Chooglin, this local band that were awesome.

I think two of my alltime personal favorites were seeing Bjork, and the first time i saw Mason Jennings play years ago in a small club before his shows got overrun with fratboys.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Wilco at the 9:30 Club in 2001.

The Rapture at the Black Cat last year.

Beck at Wolf Trap during the Midnight Vultures tour.

Rage Against the Machine / Gangstarr in 98 or 99.

Sebastian gets busy
1/2 Ghey Encino Man

Post by Sebastian gets busy »

rock a pella
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r9ADfEyh7PQ&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r9ADfEyh7PQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Tool in 2001 was the best concert I've been to. The build up and release during "Stinkfist" was insane.

Chilli Peppers a few years before that was cool.

eris

Post by eris »

Icesickle wrote: Rage Against the Machine / Gangstarr in 98 or 99.
I'm pretty sure it was in 1999 or the very end of 1998 in the least. I still have the tour shirt. Great show.

others:

Le Tigre (not a fan, but the show was insanely fun)

Radiohead @ Coachella 2004 (walking around at night was surreal with them as my backing music)

The Rapture @ Coachella 2004 (to see such a large mix of people just having a great time and dancing/partying in the middle of a grass field was great)

Mogwai @ Coachella 2006 (night... amazing)

The Flaming Lips @ Open Air Theater (the most fun you can have at a show, and I'm a marginal fan of the music)

The Octopus Project @ The Casbah (great band, great energy)

Rob Dickinson @ Coachella 2006 (to hear 'Black Metallic' and 'Crank' by Catherine Wheel made my weekend)

Coachella, in general, is my favorite weekend every year... even if I'm not into some of the bands the time is unreal with on-goings.

sneed

Post by sneed »

best live band I have seen is The RX Bandits.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Dinosaur Jr are the best band i've seen play live.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Bjork
311 in like 95

deepfriedjellol

Post by deepfriedjellol »

Smooth Lou wrote:Hmm...

I don't know that anything is going to top walking in to the world famous Chicago Theatre and watching Ruben Gonzalez, Ibrahim Ferrer, Compay Segundo, Omara Portundo and the rest of the Buena Vista Social Club ROCK MY SOCKS OFF.

The idea of a 90 year old man being walked to his piano and then proceeding to play as though the devil lent him his hands was possibly the greatest moment in my concert going life.

Love,

Smooth Lou
I WAS THERE!
but alas, THAT WAS NOT IBRAHIM!
they werent allowed in the country so it was a mock set up
we met these guys afterwards and i commented on how youthful ibrahim was on stage and the guy came over and shook our hands and explained in broken english how most of the guys werent allowed in the country

as for my fave concerts

radiohead on august 1st, 2001 in grant park (SYDNEY D BABAY!)

tool on may 17th, 2001 @ the riv in chicago (got to go backstage to get a poster for ROCK FOR KIDS signed and met danny carrey the drummer/videoninja and maynards wifey)

every time ive seen pearl jam, csny, santana or allman bros has been incredible
the last dead show at soldier field in 95 was crazy, as was the pearl jam show there the wednesday before where they got to use the GD's wall of sound

smashing pumpkins when i was 12 at the cubby bear (my uncle bribed the promoter to get us in special style)

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

Some highlights-

Madonna and The Beastie Boys, Radio City Music Hall in 86- My first concert ever

Fishbone and 2 Live Crew at the Palladium in NY during NMS 91- Angelo dropped into the crowd backwards from the balcony railing

Bad Brains and Leeway at The (New) Ritz in 89

First KISS Reunion Tour at MSG in 98- Had been waiting a LONG time to see the original lineup with makeup. Went with boogie shoes and was not disappointed

Metallica on the And Justice tour (twice, once with Queensryche, once with The Cult)- a tour undiluted by any non-classic material

Beastie Boys Check Your Head Tour- Saw this tour 3 or 4 times too. Another perfect moment for a group that has gone steadily downhill since

Red Hot Chili Peppers Mother's Milk tour at The Ritz in 90- Ditto

Public Enemy and Anthrax, Denver, CO in 91- Incredible double bill before both groups started to suck

Slayer and Mastodon (Jagermeister Tour in 2004/Unholy Alliance 2006)- what could be better than two of my favorite bands ever on the same tour?

Mastodon Blood Mountain Tour 2006- Saw this three times, in NY, LA and San Diego. LA was probably the best (Josh Homme came out for Birchmen), but with 7 songs from Blood Mountain in the set list, any stop on this tour is bound to be one of their best ever

Faith No More at The Ritz in 91- The Real Thing is one of my favorite albums ever and they played almost all of it that hight. Also included their (now famous) cover of the Commodores "Easy" and a stirring rendition of the Nestle's "N-E-S-T-L-E-S" commercial jingle and Patton throwing slices of hot pizza into the crowd.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

lets see....

Roger Waters @ madison square garden 99ish

Wu/Rage on that tour in 94 or something

Every Wu show in 3 years where all the members are present

metallica @ woodstock 99

weezer, don't remember what year

a jazz tribute to Frank Sinatra @ blues note jazz club - but this was played by 3 old jazz musicians and some famous vocalist i've never heard of. The drummer was so old that when i bought him a drink after his hand couldn't hold the glass without shaking, and he still pounded the drums like Tommy Lee. One of the greatest sets of live music i've ever seen in my life, and as a bonus i was there with a chick and she was licking my ear 5 mins after we left there right in the middle of 6th ave

Common with the Roots and Talib @ SOB's for the opening of the Electric Circus tour - that album sounds a lot better played by a live band. Natalie Portman was in the crowd and Ericah Badu stepped on my foot
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

uh zip zoom

Post by uh zip zoom »

andrew bird each of the past two years, most talented performer i've ever seen, i would see him every night if i could.

at the drive-in, i think around 2000-01... they weren't my favorite and definitely aren't now in their mars volta incarnation, but this was the most energy i've ever seen in a live band.

built to spill, just a couple weeks ago. one of my favorite bands who i had always missed when they came to town, finally saw them and their set was amazing.

elliott smith when he was touring for xo, it was very sad.

the mountain goats touring for we shall all be healed. my first real introduction to the insane brilliance of john darnielle. i had only heard a couple songs going in, and so i had no idea what to expect, and so i was as blown away as i have ever been at a show.

ted leo with a guitar and a 4-track behind him, probably around 98-99. love that guy. after chisel and before he got famous.

i'm forgetting more.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

thread is gold for picking out who teh hipsters are
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

uh zip zoom

Post by uh zip zoom »

drizzle wrote:forum is gold for picking out who teh hipsters are

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

Ozzfest 99

which featured....

Ozzy
Megadeth
Tool
Limp Bizkit
Sevendust
Coal Chamber
Soul Fly
Snot
Life Of Agony
System Of A Down
Melvins
Motorhead
ImageImage
ImageImage

M:akai

Post by M:akai »

kid koala did some wild shit when i saw him at the opera house. 3 djs rocked bass + drums + horns just juggling records :ohsh:

first thing that came to mind

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

Metallica and Queensryche 1989 ...And Justice tour. The last one ever worth going to, before they started doing medleys of old songs. Big Lady Justice that crumbled apart during differnt songs.

Slaytanic Wermacht show in some hip club in Miami circa 96. I was part of the Slayer fanclub, the Slaytanic Wermacht around the time I gotta job. I never got shit except some sticker one time for Decade of Aggression. Then one day I get a package that was sent all priority. Two tickets to a private show in Miami. Place fit like 200 people max. Rick Rubin was on the boards. Perry Ferrell was short.

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

b0mbs_of_death wrote:Metallica and Queensryche 1989 ...And Justice tour. The last one ever worth going to, before they started doing medleys of old songs.
Exactly.

Justice Medley. What fucking bullshit.

No matter how long I have to accept it, I can never really grasp that pretty much the greatest band in the world turned into one of the flamingly gayest.
Slaytanic Wermacht show in some hip club in Miami circa 96. I was part of the Slayer fanclub, the Slaytanic Wermacht around the time I gotta job. I never got shit except some sticker one time for Decade of Aggression. Then one day I get a package that was sent all priority. Two tickets to a private show in Miami. Place fit like 200 people max. Rick Rubin was on the boards. Perry Ferrell was short.
Awesome.

shopvack

Post by shopvack »

saw the pixies open up for weezer at summerfest in milwaukee a year or two ago, and the pixies blew them out of the water. weezer was alright, but damn, pixies put on one of the best high energy shows i've seen in recent memory. its weird to read that they don't get along off stage, cause they have fantastic chemistry. vamos was awesome, and they ended on gigantic. it was perfect. they also played two versions of wave of mutilation, which was weird.

godsmack puts a pretty good show on, too, although i'll probably get clowned for liking them.

Funky Butler

Post by Funky Butler »

Steely Dan
Al Green
the Moscow Philharmonic playing Shostakovich's 5th and "Pictures at an Exhibition"
the New York Philharmonic with Itzhak Perlman playing the solo in Vaughan Williams' "The Lark Ascending"
The Rolling Stones
Fred Wesley and the Horny Horns

also the Houston Symphony Orchestra playing "Symphony Fantastique" on halloween night
Hemingway Novel Model

vinylfiend

Post by vinylfiend »

Funky Butler wrote:Steely Dan
Al Green
also Parliament Funkadelic
Santana numerous times
War
James Brown
numerous jazz shows
I cant remember all the shows, these are just what come to mind off top.