Mississippi Fred McDowell

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

admiral

Mississippi Fred McDowell

Post by admiral »

is the best (well, my favorite at least) blues musician of all time. duke was like no other at playing slide-guitar delta blues. if you like gutter, grimey blues, this here is your man - i feel like i should be chain smoking in a dive bar with a handle of whiskey anytime i listen to him.

Here is probably his defining album - I Do Not Play No Rock n Roll. Train I Ride, Kokomo Me Baby, Baby Please Don't Go, and Jesus on the Mainline are all fucking gangsta, but really, everything on here is incredible.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nc0etq

other great albums (they all mostly share the same songs though):

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

dope, thanks
When people think of Providence, Rhode Island they typically think of organized crime

theaggravatedjew

Post by theaggravatedjew »

dunno nothing bout this but your description made me wanna check it, thx

admiral

Post by admiral »

theaggravatedjew wrote:dunno nothing bout this but your description made me wanna check it, thx
no problem

mcdowell's problem was that he didn't start recording until Allen Lomax stumbled upon him in the (late, i think) 50's.

he died in 1972, so compared to more well known, mainstream people like King and Hooker, he never got the media exposure they did.

from wikipedia:
Fred McDowell (January 12, 1904 - July 3, 1972), called "Mississippi Fred McDowell", was a blues singer and guitar player.

McDowell was born in Rossville, Tennessee, near Memphis. His parents, who were farmers, died when McDowell was a youth. He started playing guitar at the age of 14 and played at dances around Rossville. Wanting a change from plowing fields, he moved to Memphis in 1926 where he worked in a number of jobs and played music for tips. He settled in Como, Mississippi, about 40 miles south of Memphis, in 1940 or 1941, and worked steadily as a farmer, continuing to perform music at dances, picnics and the like. Initially he played slide guitar using a pocket knife and then a slide made from a beef rib bone, later switching to a glass slide for its clearer sound. He played with the slide on his ring finger.

The 1950s brought a rising interest in blues music and folk music in the United States, and McDowell was brought to wider public attention, beginning when he was recorded in 1959 by Alan Lomax. McDowell's recordings were popular, and he performed often at festivals and clubs. McDowell continued to perform delta blues much as he had for decades, but he sometimes performed on electric guitar rather than acoustic. While he famously declared "I do not play no rock and roll," McDowell was not averse to associating with many younger rock musicians: He coached Bonnie Raitt on slide guitar technique, and was reportedly flattered by The Rolling Stones' rather straightforward, authentic version of his "You Gotta Move" on their 1971 Sticky Fingers album.

McDowell's 1969 album I Do Not Play No Rock 'N' Roll was his first featuring electric guitar. It features parts of an interview in which he discusses the origins of the blues and the nature of love.

McDowell died of cancer in 1972 and is buried at Hammond Hill M.B. Church, between Como and Senatobia, Mississippi

pen

Post by pen »

one of the greatest.
he made his top e-string siiiiiiing. frilla.
kardi, chocs, saukrates, dj moves, sixtoo, a-trak, jr flo, kimo, redone, john smith, escrol, bender, empire, hustlemann, muzion, aspire, moka only, prev one, maestro, michie mee, patience, theo3, the bridge, dj drastik, flight distance, t-wrex, dl incognito, osa, dj kaem, nextra, kelron, STAY, loes, moss, bishop brigante, belly...

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

want some new dirty blues, check out http://www.myspace.com/leftlanecruiser

theaggravatedjew

Post by theaggravatedjew »

admiral wrote:
theaggravatedjew wrote:dunno nothing bout this but your description made me wanna check it, thx
no problem

mcdowell's problem was that he didn't start recording until Allen Lomax stumbled upon him in the (late, i think) 50's.

he died in 1972, so compared to more well known, mainstream people like King and Hooker, he never got the media exposure they did.

from wikipedia:
Fred McDowell (January 12, 1904 - July 3, 1972), called "Mississippi Fred McDowell", was a blues singer and guitar player.

McDowell was born in Rossville, Tennessee, near Memphis. His parents, who were farmers, died when McDowell was a youth. He started playing guitar at the age of 14 and played at dances around Rossville. Wanting a change from plowing fields, he moved to Memphis in 1926 where he worked in a number of jobs and played music for tips. He settled in Como, Mississippi, about 40 miles south of Memphis, in 1940 or 1941, and worked steadily as a farmer, continuing to perform music at dances, picnics and the like. Initially he played slide guitar using a pocket knife and then a slide made from a beef rib bone, later switching to a glass slide for its clearer sound. He played with the slide on his ring finger.

The 1950s brought a rising interest in blues music and folk music in the United States, and McDowell was brought to wider public attention, beginning when he was recorded in 1959 by Alan Lomax. McDowell's recordings were popular, and he performed often at festivals and clubs. McDowell continued to perform delta blues much as he had for decades, but he sometimes performed on electric guitar rather than acoustic. While he famously declared "I do not play no rock and roll," McDowell was not averse to associating with many younger rock musicians: He coached Bonnie Raitt on slide guitar technique, and was reportedly flattered by The Rolling Stones' rather straightforward, authentic version of his "You Gotta Move" on their 1971 Sticky Fingers album.

McDowell's 1969 album I Do Not Play No Rock 'N' Roll was his first featuring electric guitar. It features parts of an interview in which he discusses the origins of the blues and the nature of love.

McDowell died of cancer in 1972 and is buried at Hammond Hill M.B. Church, between Como and Senatobia, Mississippi
just getting around to listening to tis, this is great and dudes got funny interludes