peace sell.....

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

ALASKA

peace sell.....

Post by ALASKA »

does this album deserve to be considered with albums like
reign in blood
master of puppets
among the living
etc.
from that time period

i say yes

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

I'm a Rust In Peace man myself- more emphasis on ill playing and less emphasis on Mustaine's corny lyrics/singing.

Guessing Alaska is a fan of this record too (see track #2).

Was never a huge Megadeth fan.

At the time there was no doubt that Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth were the Big Four. I guess some folks considered Sepultura a fifth little brother, but I never did.

However, with the passage of time, I think it's hard to put Antrax and Megadeth in that same category. I don't think any of their material stands up as well over time and I think a lot of folks would agree with me.

Reign In Blood/Master of Puppets is a pretty impossible standard to aspire to and I don't think any Megadeth or Anthrax album ever got their, then or now.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

i never really dug sepletura myself, was always felt testament was a much better band.

as for peace sells i dig the riffs on it, especially wake up dead much more than rust....although you are correct about track 2.

i think the majority of among the living, which is really the only anthrax album i like stands up really well.

mud

Post by mud »

Cant stomach megadeth mainly because of
Masked Terror #1 wrote:Mustaine's corny lyrics/singing.
"hangar 18" is the shit though.
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

Fuck a Megadeth. Gimme Fabulous Disaster instead.

DLG

Post by DLG »

I'm a Rust in Peace man too.

megadeth was my fav metal band growing up, and I always took their side in the deth vs tallica debates, mostly due to their superior playing in all periods.

Peace Sells definately has amazing moments and I can't be objective when talking about megadeth since I live everything up to and including Cryptic Writings.

slayer I never liked, I always saw them as metal for retards and mexicans, no offense, they are fast and heavy as shit, but too dumbed down for me. Though I have no problem hearing it or even jamming their tunes.

most slept on bay area thrash band is Forbidden.

peep "Twisted Into Form" it's my fav classic trash album after RIP.

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

I'm A Rust guy, too.

Rust > Youth > Countdown > Peace > Hidden Treasures >>>> all the rest...
ImageImage
ImageImage

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Know what's funny? I have a friend who's really into Megadeth and so I told him about how Ill Bill references it and even has a song called Peace Sells. He got all bitchy saying Bill was just trying to capitalize on Megadeth's shit.

Then I told him that there's a group called Hangar 18, and he thought that was cool, for some reason.

in conclusion, weird megadeth fan friend sez: hangar 18>ill bill

DLG

Post by DLG »

I have metal friends who only check for non phixion shit as far as rap goes because they reference so many metal bands.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

I don't mind Megadeth. Growing up they took a back seat to Metallica. The only album I had of theirs as a kid was Countdown To Extinction. I remember it fucking rocked. Symphony Of Destruction, Countdown To Extinction. Good shit.

Never really liked Sepultura.

Someone upload Rust In Peace or the other good one.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

I just want to say I downloaded Rust In Peace (Thanks TWrex).

It is way way way better than I remember. Hangar 18 might be top 10 metal songs of all time.

DLG

Post by DLG »

it was awesome of megadeth to make hangar 18 a single and video.

one minute of singing and 4 of awesome guitar solos = :gyeah:

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

mud wrote:Cant stomach megadeth mainly because of
Masked Terror #1 wrote:Mustaine's corny lyrics/singing.

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Post by bringinoutbangerz »

I grew up big into 'deth. The Rust in Peace/Countdown to Extinction lineup of Mustaine, Menza, Ellefson, Friedman was the illest of the innumerable Dave copilots, and those two records are pretty much tied for my favorite, although the lick on Symphony of Destruction pushes countdown over the top. Outside of its title track (and MTV News bassline), I never really dug Peace Sells.... I did love Killing is my Business with "These Boots" and the 4 Horsemen rip. Youthanasia was also surprisingly tight.

As the lone Anthrax apologist, I still feel like no other metal album is as tightly constructed as "Sound of white noise." Even if it has Jon Bush. Charlie Benante absolutely destroys his drum set throughout. Terminator X cameos too.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Give me Billy Milano and MOD anyday.

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

Not a huge fan of the album, but the production on Sound of White Noise is bananas.

DLG

Post by DLG »

bringinoutbangerz wrote:I grew up big into 'deth. The Rust in Peace/Countdown to Extinction lineup of Mustaine, Menza, Ellefson, Friedman was the illest of the innumerable Dave copilots, and those two records are pretty much tied for my favorite, although the lick on Symphony of Destruction pushes countdown over the top. Outside of its title track (and MTV News bassline), I never really dug Peace Sells.... I did love Killing is my Business with "These Boots" and the 4 Horsemen rip. Youthanasia was also surprisingly tight.

As the lone Anthrax apologist, I still feel like no other metal album is as tightly constructed as "Sound of white noise." Even if it has Jon Bush. Charlie Benante absolutely destroys his drum set throughout. Terminator X cameos too.
right on. The RIP to CW line-up is the shit.
Marty Friedman played the best solos ever played in metal IMO. So well thought out, perfect combination of technique and emotion. no homo.

haha I remember the peace sells bass line follow by Kurt Loder's turnip shaped head.

you had "these boots" on the CD of killing is my buisiness? I thought it was only on the vinyl? And Mechanix rules. 4 horsemen riff 100 bpms faster, totally pointless shit but awesome

I heard that deth got 8,000 bucks to record killing and spent 7,000 of it on coke, awesome.

I love Youthanasia, cut school October 31, 1994 to buy the tape. Megadeth's most melodic and mature album by far.

agree on Sound of White Noise, killer sound, Anthrax is the soundtrack for bringing the mosh.

DLG

Post by DLG »

also, I'll up Damn the Machine next weekend when I get the time.

It's the band of guitarist Chris Poland who played on peace sells and his brother Randy.

Really awesome progressive metal, total fresh sounding and underivative, they were on a major and got good reviews but never had much success and broke up. The album is great though.

Chris also has a solo album called "return to metalopolis" :naswtf: which is great and now plays in a fusion band called Ohm.

Also it's SOD, not MOD, and Billy Milano is a racist turd.

also..the drummer on peace sells, Gar Samuellson died of cancer, but he had a pretty cool band after megadeth, when he returned to his native austria called Fatal Opera. check them out.

<------ultimate deth dickrider.

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

Actually, Billy Milano was and is in MOD or Method of your Destruction which was really never that good and mostly pretty dumb. SOD, or Stormtroopers of Death, despite the dumb lyrics, probably released one of the best crossover records ever, Speak English or Die.

Currently, you can catch fat ass Milano either working the door or "DJing" at a couple of venues in the Lower East.

That does beat the singer for Loverboy who is like the funnelcake king of Vancouver.

DLG

Post by DLG »

didn't the singer from Loverboy fall off a cruise ship and drown?

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

DLG wrote:didn't the singer from Loverboy fall off a cruise ship and drown?
I have no fucking idea why I know this, but it was the bass player. Singer has like ten funnel cake carts in Vancouver, or at least thats what it seemed like when I was there.

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

DLG wrote: you had "these boots" on the CD of killing is my buisiness? I thought it was only on the vinyl?
I distinctly remembered having the CD with "These Boots" on it because I had to sit in my parents' living room to listen to it on the only CD player we had. I remember people being like, "Thats a Nancy Sinatra song" and me being like, "nuh uh, its Megadeth and it is not faggot shit." I also remember my metal-head friend Tony saying how weird it was that the song was on there. I was in fifth grade, so it was '91-'92, I am not sure if my brother had bought it new or used from the gone-but-never-forgotten Phantasmagoria in Wheaton. He also had the "Killem All" OG tape with those two cover songs on it, also purchased from Phantas.

As an aside I am sure you don't care about, the first time I got drunk years later, on Bacardi Superior, I went to Phantas (which had then turned into a rocking concert hall), and yakked all over a booth on my Old Navy fleece. The faggy owner dude threw me out and said to never come back. Yet a few weeks later, I was rockin' hard to a Sev concert (WE KNEW THEM BEFORE THEY BLEW-UP, SON!).

And word to October 31st, 1994. I think I bought a pack of Jyhad (Vampire the Masquerade) cards the same day and it had like two or three rares. That opening to "Reckoning Day" immediately conjures up images of Valiant comics, tapping Mana and hit points. 'twas a fuckin' awesome day for my nerdy, akward, pimply ass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megadeth
was a highlight of my day yesterday

DLG

Post by DLG »

haha that's knowledge

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Someone upload this White Noise.

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

cascarrabias wrote:Someone upload this White Noise.
woop woop
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YQL5S5YK

its in itunes M4e format

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

bringinoutbangerz wrote:
cascarrabias wrote:Someone upload this White Noise.
woop woop
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YQL5S5YK

its in itunes M4e format
bangerz delivers.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Imma up Forbidden - Twisted Into Form over the weekend, cats need to hear it.

Paul Bostaph da god who played on Slayer's Divine Intervention drums on it, and guitarist Tim Calvert who played on Nevermore's best album Dreaming Neon Black are the core of the group.

shit's fire.

afex one

Post by afex one »

I'm split with Megadeth. I never was a fan of theirs really and most of their songs I consider annoying. However, the handful of songs I do like from them I love! Hook in Mouth, In My Darkest Hour, Liar, Peace Sells, Hangar 18 .. there are a few more that aren't coming to mind right away. Never been able to listen to a whole album of theirs all the way through though. In my opinion, I don't think they deserve the same slot as Slayer, Metallica, Etc....

DLG

Post by DLG »

Liar is one of the wost megadeth songs.

so far so good was pretty subpar, the only classics off that are In My Darkest Hour and Mary Jane.