GVSB - Venus Luxure # 1 Baby

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

GVSB - Venus Luxure # 1 Baby

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Sleazy-drone-post-hardcore-sex-rawk mid 90s Touch & Go sophomore classic from ex-Soul Side-ers which was slept on at the time but now finds itself elevated to uper echelon of 90s alt-rawk canon status with the band performing it from top-to-bottom in that series where The Stooges did "Fun House", GZA did "Liquid Swords", Slint did "Spiderland", Dinosaur Jr did "You're Living All Over Me" et al from band who coulda, shoulda and woulda been huge when they signed to a major a few years later but blew it with an underwhelming major label debut.

Useewhutimsayin'?

Still one of the better records of the 90s although slightly tainted for me after seeing SYMantiks post about attending the aforementioned "Venus.." performance show in NYC on here a few months back and regaling the board with a tale of how he grew up on GVSB before he discovered Dr. Octagon in 1997.

Discuss.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Soulside are underrated. They aren't on the Rites Of Spring-level, but they were a very good band.

(I don't know anything about Girls Against Boys. Carry on.)

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

This is a really good album. I remember getting kinda bored of it on repeated listenings though.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

The original post that homeboy alluded to:
Like GZA performing Liquid Swords, Girls Against Boys performed their best album, their sophomore LP Venus Luxure No. 1 Baby, in full for the "Don't Look Back" series. It happened Friday night at the Bowery Ballroom, and here is the setlist:

In Like Flynn
Go Be Delighted
Rockets Are Red
Satin Down
Let Me Come Back
Learned It
Get Down
Bullet Proof Cupid
7 Seas
Billy's One Stop
Bughouse

1st Encore -
Tucked In
Cruise Your New Baby Fly Self
Crash 17 (X-Raided Car)
Superfire

2nd Encore -
Kill The Sexplayer
Disco 666
Basstation

This was one of those concerts where you finally got to see a group you've liked since your high school years (for me its been nearly 10 years). Dream come true. Wish I had photos. Or autographs. It's all good though, I don't need any of that stuff. Easily one of the best concerts I've ever been to.
I actually didn't get into GVSB until Freakonica, which in retrospect is their worst album of the lot. I loved it at the time. It wasn't released until 1998 though. So I had already "discovered" hip-hop, if you wanna get down to the matter at hand, by that point.

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

:upload:

Steezel Weezel

Post by Steezel Weezel »

Glad this thread was made. I've started digging into their earlier stuff - just listened to House of GVSB the other night. "Disco Six Six Six" has been and still is a personal favorite. How does House stack up to Venus?
SYMantiks wrote:I actually didn't get into GVSB until Freakonica, which in retrospect is their worst album of the lot. I loved it at the time.
Yeah, me too. It still has some jams on it - I've been playing the shit out of "Park Avenue" lately. Wack lyrics aside ("My idea of fun / As out there as anyone / Way too much fun"), it makes me want to fornicate.

SYM

Post by SYM »

Steezel Weezel wrote:Glad this thread was made. I've started digging into their earlier stuff - just listened to House of GVSB the other night. "Disco Six Six Six" has been and still is a personal favorite. How does House stack up to Venus?
Really, they're about equal. Cruise Yourself still has some of my personal favorite stand-out songs, but as full cohesive albums you don't get much better than House and Venus.

They did a lot more progressive synth work on House.

SYMantiks, be a good egg and upload "Venus.." for the non believers, would you?

Also, if you have an mp3 of "Sharkmeat", the b-side of the "Bulletproof Cupid" 7" then you should pro'lly up that for your old pal Tommy too.

SYM

Post by SYM »

I think I left my copy at my lady's place. I will bump this thread up with the link though once I get it back.

Never heard "Sharkmeat". Must have overlooked it during the Audiogalaxy days where I would scrounge for any and all rarities of my favorite artists I could get my hands on.

"Sharkmeat" is amazing. Very eerie and minimal with it consisting of just a strummed hypnotic guitar chord and Scott's vox.

I also remember looking for it on soulseek when i first came online back in 2000 but i never could find it.