new Spoon - Transference

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

LilLeftBrain

new Spoon - Transference

Post by LilLeftBrain »

A little underwhelming on a few listens, but def dig it and sure to be a grower.
'out go the lights' is the jam

anyone been bumping?
moved by duck muscles

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

i listened to it for the first time last night, enjoyed it, then listened to it again on my commute today, and enjoyed it even more. i don't think it's "underwhelming", it's just a different direction from "ga ga ga ga ga" which had anthemic and catchy songs like "underdog" and "yr cherry bomb". "transference" is a night time album, it's alot more bass-y and slow, like there's a shadow cast over the music. (note the album cover). there's alot of chord repetition, but that's kind of something spoon have always done ("kill the moonlight"), though this album seams even more downtempo. i think everything works...the singles "written in reverse" and "got nuffin" which i didnt like at first sound much better in context of the rest of the album.

who's seen them live? there's always in my area and i have yet to go.
When people think of Providence, Rhode Island they typically think of organized crime

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Dunnnnleavy wrote:there's alot of chord repetition, but that's kind of something spoon have always done ("kill the moonlight")
word, and 'underwhelming' wasnt quite the right word. Wasn't initially that impressed with 'gagagagaga' either, but love it to death now. Most spoon albums are growers was all i was attempting to say. 'kill the moonlight's easily my favorite spoon (to tie in with the P&B ringtone thread, 'stay dont go' was mine for years) and that minimalist/repetitious vibe is what i was hoping theyd go back to with this one. Which it seems they did, to a degree. Listened to it again after making thread and enjoyed it a good bit. Dudes are definitely the most consistent band around. I belive this makes it seven for seven?

Haven't seen em live and unfortunately they are nowhere nearby this upcoming tour
moved by duck muscles

deepfriedjellol

Post by deepfriedjellol »

yeah it took like a dozen listens to realize that gagagaga was terts.
thanks for the help in acquisitions brother

michaelE

Post by michaelE »

Just got the new album, pretty good only listened once so far. I have seen them live twice. Both shows were great.

JaH BLaZe

Post by JaH BLaZe »

:upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload: :upload:

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

deepfriedjellol

arlene wrote:ive never been so mad at a band
http://fla.vor.us/wafform.aspx?_act=eve ... lky=1ZM27S
because the show's only 300 people and tickets will be rape?

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

tix sold out before they even went on sale.
only show near la until the end of time.

deepfriedjellol

ill make some calls sweetheart.

*i have noone to call but dids, but he's got the hooks up*

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

On the first listen, "Written in Reverse" was a standout track. Real good stuff there.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

writteninreverse on coco
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-G4iemQH7RM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-G4iemQH7RM&hl ... 2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
moved by duck muscles

zygmontone

Post by zygmontone »

very very good... diggin the rawness (sounds like some of the tracks are quick live demos)... cohesive too, very happy with this album

christopher walken

Post by christopher walken »

I've been digging it, quite a bit. Howie Weinberg laced the mastering. "Who Makes Your Money." "Mystery Zone," and "Trouble Comes Running," and of course "Out Go The Lights," make it all worthwhile. For some reason on this record, I get this weird 52nd Street-era Billy Joel vibe, i.e. "Big Shot." Does that make me crazy?

When I saw them down here, in South Florida, about a year and a half ago, I was actually a bit underwhelmed. But I'd like to catch them at SXSW next week, although chances of getting into that show are like none and none.