New MIA video- really dope

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

truthaddict wrote:
DLG wrote:haven't heard a shittier song in a long ass time.
Lol at your signature having an ICP video in it.

M.IA. should know she fucked up when people that have heard the ICP Miracle song think her's is worse.
wow. this is an epic example of "missing the point".
but, still ICP>>>>>>>>MIA.

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

Blockhead wrote:
truthaddict wrote:

M.IA. should know she fucked up when people that have heard the ICP Miracle song think her's is worse.
I get that the signature is meant to be a joke, since people have been clowning that ICP video all over youtube..

I was just pointing out that he's obviously heard ICP's Miracles song, since it's in his sig, but wrote "haven't heard a shittier song in a long ass time".. That is just a low blow to M.I.A. :lol:

I think ICP <<<<< Everything, but at least they are good for a laugh.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

truthaddict wrote:
Blockhead wrote:
truthaddict wrote:

I get that the signature is meant to be a joke, since people have been clowning that ICP video all over youtube..

I was just pointing out that he's obviously heard ICP's Miracles song, since it's in his sig, but wrote "haven't heard a shittier song in a long ass time".. That is just a low blow to M.I.A. :lol:

Strangely enough you're wrong. There is a lot of juggalos on this board. Hatchet Man Records 4 LYFE!

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

truthaddict wrote:
Blockhead wrote:
truthaddict wrote:

i'm more on the side of
the LOLZ bought on unintentionally by ICP>>>>any real music MIA has ever made.
But i also REALLY think she sucks.
I am relieved you knew that sig was a joke though.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Urrgh, lefty jew nosed towelhead feminist yapping about lord knows what over Suicide's best song.

Bring back Neneh Cherry.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

http://djjeffresh.com/2010/05/10/m-i-a- ... lled-xxxo/

new single drops today.

i love it.

you all hate it.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

http://neetrecordings.com/blog/

her record label. fun graphic design.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

liking mia is for college aged upper middle class white girls who want to rebel but are afraid of what their parents will think

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

ALASKA wrote:liking mia is for college aged upper middle class white girls who want to rebel but are afraid of what their parents will think
<object width="600" height="600">
<param name="movie" value="http://neetrecordings.com/xxxo/xxxo.swf" />
<embed src="http://neetrecordings.com/xxxo/xxxo.swf" width="600" height="600" />
</object>

MouseTheProdigy

Post by MouseTheProdigy »

ALASKA wrote:liking mia is for college aged upper middle class white girls who want to rebel but are afraid of what their parents will think
...I was first introduced to MIA by one of those people...she's hot tho, so I didn't mind

wheels

Post by wheels »

This is the exact demographic I generally have sex with, so it works for me

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

wheels wrote:
This is the exact demographic I generally have sex with, so it works for me
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post by 360 »

Terrible artist, terrible song.

This should be a public enemy video from 1990. Better yet, a Rage Against the Machine video.

barknee

Post by barknee »

pretty hilarious article absolutely tearing MIA apart for being a try-hard: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/magaz ... wanted=all
Unity holds no allure for Maya ג€” she thrives on conflict, real or imagined. ג€œI kind of want to be an outsider,ג€ she said, eating a truffle-flavored French fry. ג€œI donג€™t want to make the same music, sing about the same stuff, talk about the same things. If that makes me a terrorist, then Iג€™m a terrorist.ג€
(warning: full article is massive)

still like some of her tunes (and would still definitely do FTR) but the thought of her and Rusko and co living in a big posho rah-rah glorified student house seriously makes me wish terrorists HAD invaded it and murdered them all

also truffle flavoured french fries sound fuckin rad
ImageImageImage

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

drizzle wrote:
ALASKA wrote:i will never get people that like M.I.A

starks

Post by starks »

Maya seemed to be going for a combination of sexy and militaristic. She showed the girls her fabric ideas on her computer, and they were amenable. ג€œNike is the uniform for kids all over the world,ג€ Maya said for no apparent reason. ג€œAnd African design has been killed by Nike. Africans no longer want to wear their own designs.ג€ The designers said they thought that was terrible. ג€œThe best sportswear is on Blackwater operatives,ג€ Maya continued, referring to the agents who were clandestine guns for hire in Iraq. The designers nodded, but they clearly had no idea what she was talking about. ג€œI want to have a uniform like theirs.ג€

The oddity of using a garment linked to mercenaries to convey a very different message seemed to elude Maya. As we got ready to leave, she became surprisingly strict with the designers. You are part of my team, she seemed to be saying. And, as part of the team, you must live up to my vision. ג€œI want everything on this album to be a collaboration,ג€ Maya said. The women looked both proud and nervous. They were now recruited.
:wtf:

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

:rofl:

SOOO on point.

She kind of reminds me of Missy Eliot in that she's wildly untalented but has somehow surrounded herself with a gang of very talented to reasonably talented people (assuming most of her writing/production track record is more Timbaland than her, which is a safe assumption probably).

Thun

Post by Thun »

PopeyeJones wrote:
:rofl:

SOOO on point.

She kind of reminds me of Missy Eliot in that she's wildly untalented but has somehow surrounded herself with a gang of very talented to reasonably talented people (assuming most of her writing/production track record is more Timbaland than her, which is a safe assumption probably).
Pretty sure Missy's writing and production credits on her own songs and numerous R&B acts are extensive. Also, Missy Elliot is a dope rapper, stylistically. she can flow better than most of the artists mentioned on page 1 of M2C at least.

M.I.A. On the other hand has no discernible talent other than managing to be appropriately iconic to a generation that fervently believes that being iconic and having "swag" is always more notable than possessing talent or intelligence.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

^^^ yeah. was pretty sure I would get shit for that comparison.

I mostly remember Missy Elliot for the production she got from Timbaland and her videos/overall aesthetic (for lack of a better term). M.I.A. is pretty similar that way.

I thought I remembered most of Missy Elliot's writing/producing credits as being co-credited with Timbaland, but just checked and apparently that wasn't the case.

So yeah, shitty comparison, but M.I.A. is pretty talentless. When she came out she was the darling of the London fashion scene while also branding herself with the whole third world Marxism of the oppressed schtick. It's a wildly surface level and ultimately boring critique to make at this point, but still kind of a tipoff.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:I mean, normally it's just happening to scary brown people, so it doesn't seem so bad.
When I kill everyone on this board, I will start with you.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

since when does having talent matter when your beats bang?

Versive

Post by Versive »

lots of hate in this thread. no surprise there. the song rocks.
Last edited by Versive on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Versive

Post by Versive »

video is a bit much, and i'm not sure but i think the version of the song i heard on the radio last night was significantly shorter

mayhem

Post by mayhem »

Who is M.I.A.?
Heeeey youuu guyyys - Goonies

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sfbQ5mHWkOs?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sfbQ5mHWkOs?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Thun

Post by Thun »

^Seriously? People here enjoy this music? F'realz?

starks

Post by starks »

i think most of us agree the new album blows