The Metal Thread

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Ive reall slept on Gojira. I have friends that love them. I have them in my zune but never got around to listening to them. I will at work tommorow if I remember and report back. I think Ive got from mars to serius i think/

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

From Mars To Sirius is a good place to start.

And thank Zod someone peeped that Lord Mantis. Best, rawest, illest shit I've heard in a long time. I actually bought the CD because I couldn't find a download.

Heads are sleeping.

DLG

Post by DLG »

pretty jealous, I still haven't seen Gojira and they are pretty much my favorite band right now.

Was going to see Destruction tonight, but I found out that there is an Estonian stoner band playing tonight as well, so will probably go to that, because, I don't know if I'll get a chance to hear some Estoner ever again.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:From Mars To Sirius is a good place to start.

And thank Zod someone peeped that Lord Mantis. Best, rawest, illest shit I've heard in a long time. I actually bought the CD because I couldn't find a download.

Heads are sleeping.
listened to From Mars To Serius earlier this morning at work and realized that I have heard some of the songs on that record several times before without knowing it was Gojira. My opinion is that they are a pretty cool band and great songwriters. It kind of struck me as a mix between Cult of Neurisis, Crowbar chugga heavy with some mid 90s Death Metal influences as well. For what they do they do it better than most. My least favorite part was probably the lyrics which Im not all the way sure on but I know at one point the dude was singing about a dragon coming out of a mountain cave and then he sees a bunch of whales and they fly him into space to some amazing dimension. I understand the have pro nature, environment friendly lyrics???

good band. would love to see them live. Someone to me that they are playing here with Toxic Holocaust, Dying Fetus, and Hatebreed in a couple months. Will definitely be in attendance for that.

Masked Terror #1

Catfish, did you peep that Lord Mantis?

And yeah, Alix from A Hanging looks like quite a gem.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:Catfish, did you peep that Lord Mantis?

And yeah, Alix from A Hanging looks like quite a gem.
im going to download Lord Mantis now. what style is it akin to? I expect kickassery.

Also if I can get ahold of A Hanging shit I will up it. Ill at least link you the myspace.

Masked Terror #1

Lord Mantis has guitar parts that sound like Godzilla's atomic bird squeak. Nuff said.

Listening to that Dark Castle right now. Pretty sweet. psyched to see them should they wander up to Yankee territory.

Post by 360 »

Lord Mantis has swiftly entered the heavy rotation list. You just want to blast that shit where ever people are around

Masked Terror #1

OK people, it's thrash day here in the metal thread.

First up is a dope band out of Philly called Rumplestiltskin Grinder.

They're a classic strain of raw thrash with some distinct hardcore undertones and some black metal seasoning. Saw them with Hull last night at Lit and they owned.

This is their latest album out on Relapse, Living For Death, Destroying The Rest.

1. Nothing Defeats The Skull
2. Graveyard Vandalization
3. Brainwasher C 1655
4. Fiends in the Mountain, Ghouls in the Valley
5. Spyborg
6. Traitor's Blood
7. Beware the Thrash Brigade
8. Sewers of Doom (Dethroning the Tyrant 0art 1)
9. Darkness Never Ending (Dethroning the Tyrant part 2)
10. Revolution of Underground Legions (Dethroning the Tyrant Part 3)

Next up is Iron Age, another solid thrash/hardcore hybrid from Austin, TX that I caught when I was down there for SXSW.

This is there soon to be released second album The Sleeping Eye. Funny thing is even though the album has leaked, the track listing hasn't yet, so no song titles are included.

These guys are dope though and I think they'll make a pretty big splash this year.

Post by 360 »

Nice. DLing now.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

been meaning to check out Rumplestiltskin grinder album for a minute now so thanks. Gotta re try a d/l on Lord Mantis for some reason last night it was taking me 40 minutes to dl.

Hull is one of my favorite bands Ive played with this year. The dude nick who plays that Thunderbird looking guitar is my dude right there. MT1 next time you see Hull ask him about his Captain Anarchy tat. Its an anrcho superman punching a cops moustache off his face :ohsh:.

I still need to upload Viking Funeral by them. Do you have that MT1?

Masked Terror #1

Yeah Man, I need Viking Funeral stat.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:Yeah Man, I need Viking Funeral stat.
so epic.
heres some video from the Eyehategod show i was at this past saturday night. You can see me up in the front row doing some sick ass hand jiving. I have no idea what that dude is saying when Mike holds the mic out to the crowd. I was so pumped and loving life that night. :cheers:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ftRut-nWy4c&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ftRut-nWy4c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

The stilskin grinder is pretty fucking great.

Masked Terror #1

Yeah, it's pretty insane. Not even half way through 2009 and already all these ill albums have come out/leaked-

Tribulation- The Horror
Tombs- Winter Hours
Kylesa- Static Tension
Mastodon- Crack The Skye
WITTR- Black Cascade
Razor of Occam- Homage to Martyrs
Lord Mantis- Spawning the Nephilim
Iron Age- The Sleeping Eye
Rumplestiltskin Grinder- Living For Death, Destroying The Rest
Dark Castle- Spirited Migration

Still have a full length from Hull coming up, a new one from Javelina, a Nachtmystium EP later this month, maybe an LP from Howl and a new IMMORTAL.

Going to be a pretty sick year.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

heres another one im on the look out for this year.

Savannah, GA's BARONESS will head to Dallas, TX next week to begin work on a brand new full-length and follow-up to 2007's critically-acclaimed Red Album.

BARONESS will be working with the Grammy-nominated producer / engineer John Congleton (EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY, THE POLYPHONIC SPREE, THE ROOTS, BUDDY MILES, BLACK MOUNTAIN) on the band's second full-length. The still untitled album is expected to see a fall 2009 release date.

DLG

Post by DLG »

oh man, very cool producer choice for them.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

DLG wrote:oh man, very cool producer choice for them.
Baroness is a great band to have the ambition they have. Red Album has been in rotation since it dropped for me but I still aint seen them live yet.

Big fan of Baizleys artwork style too.

Masked Terror #1

Baizley is the official artist of anything Southern/Sludgecore related.

Dude is like the modern day Pushead.

lj

Post by lj »

saw them live w/torche a while back ... needless to say, torche didn't leave a doubt who was running the show.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:Baizley is the official artist of anything Southern/Sludgecore related.

Dude is like the modern day Pushead.
he deserves it.

DLG

Post by DLG »

he's getting played out though, I can't really tell the covers apart anymore.

That happens to ever artist though lately as soon as they catch on and everyone starts hiring them.

Like at one time in the early 2000s when Travis Smith was pretty much doing every metal band's digital artwork and they all looked exactly the same after a while.

Masked Terror #1

Saw Gojira last night.

One of the few bands that I can say I like less for having seen them live.

Songs came across a little boring and samey. Their sound was so polished, clean and nerdy that it bugged me. For some reason those qualities are cool to me on the records, but live it was a drag.

The mallcore kids and Hatebreed fans in the audience weren't helping things any.

At least a double dose of Mastodon/Kylesa is right around the corner.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

bought Gwar tickets today for May 15th just for the fuck of it. Ive seen them before so I know what to expect. Cattle Decapitation is opening the show. Never seen them before.

Im just not able to get into Gojira. I tried.

Post by 360 »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:Saw Gojira last night.

One of the few bands that I can say I like less for having seen them live.

Songs came across a little boring and samey. Their sound was so polished, clean and nerdy that it bugged me. For some reason those qualities are cool to me on the records, but live it was a drag.

The mallcore kids and Hatebreed fans in the audience weren't helping things any.

At least a double dose of Mastodon/Kylesa is right around the corner.
I will be at that Mastodon/ kylesa show, i will not miss that for anything.

Post by 360 »

Also, i wrote to Howl via myspace asking a few qestions about merch and shit and they responded(which is cool as hell) with this:

Hey dude, thanks so much for your message. We all read it and were stoked to hear you've been playing our jams to people. Glad you dig it, that's why we do it.

In terms of merch, stuff will be available soon, hopefully within a month from now.. We just got signed to Relapse (hush hush), and we've been busy writing new material, and preparing for the next chapter.. Within a couple of weeks we should have a new myspace, complete with links on how to get shirts, etc. We hope you'll check it out.

Thanks again for writing, hope to see you out there man..

Vincent & HOWL

Masked Terror #1

Dude, that's great news. When I talked to them in Austin, they were hinting that they were signing with someone notable, but they didn't want to say who.

Guess the cat's out of the bag now. Really psyched for a full length from them.

What night are you going to Mastodon?

Post by 360 »

I'm gonna go saturday. I was going to go on sunday in bk also, but I forgot it was mother's day and my mother is retiring so we are condensing the celebration.

I should really just bring my mother to the show.

DLG

Post by DLG »

these dudes are the latest pretty awesome relapse signing check them out

http://www.myspace.com/revocation

brutal as fuck, semi-technical death metal.

DLG

Post by DLG »

7 half liter bottles of ice cold brew and eyehategod - dopestick on repeat.

thursday night bitches.