Mastodon - Crack The Skye (New Music Video Within)

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

catfish hunter
slime green

Mastodon - Crack The Skye (New Music Video Within)

Post by catfish hunter »

http://thequietus.com/articles/00927-ma ... k-by-track

Im really intrigued as to how this album is going to be.

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

when's this come out?
When people think of Providence, Rhode Island they typically think of organized crime

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

Although the guy writing this is clearly a douche, this piece does nothing to ease my concerns about this album.

Somewhat reassuring is that folks on the Mastodon board who have heard the album are saying this is way off base.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

I dont really know what to expect. Im hoping for more of a Baroness Red kind of album but i dont think this is going to be that.

DLG

Post by DLG »

hate reading shit like this. I'll wait for the album to leak.

I think the released date is in March....maybe Feb.

I'll like it a lot more than you guys though because I'm a prog nerd.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Im not a full on prog nerd yet but i have my weeks where i get down bad.

DLG

Post by DLG »

oh man dude, while you were skating and listening to hardcore bands I was writing out notes for Rush tunes and listening to Italian Fates Warning clones.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

DLG wrote:oh man dude, while you were skating and listening to hardcore bands I was writing out notes for Rush tunes and listening to Italian Fates Warning clones.
haha. I had a buddy named Fersu. Ripped the guitar to bits on some shred and proggy extended jams that listened to weird italian fates warning bands. he wore Gucci loafers and gold jewelery while snorting lots of coke and speaking in his accent.

fucking Fersu. He built his own guitar from scratch and it was like the best thing I ever held.

DLG

Post by DLG »

hahah that guy sounds awesome.

Masked Terror #1

The countdown to, um, something has begun- http://www.mastodonrocks.com/

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

any last minute predictions?

Masked Terror #1

Will prob just be revamped web site/a peek at the album art/in studio footage or a teaser track.

DLG

Post by DLG »

think I'm gonna wait for the entire album to leak.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

DLG wrote:think I'm gonna wait for the entire album to leak.
me too. I really want this album to be good in ways im not expecting it to be.

im a Leviathan head myself.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Remission was always by far my favorite. I have an ill out of print old ass picture disc. I seen them years ago in the tiniest hole in the wall ever with like 5 other people that showed up and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen - amazing when a band can go nuts for such a small crowd. They since tore said shithole down.

DLG

Post by DLG »

yeah Remission will probably always be my favorite, but I never wanted them to keep remaking that record and I absolutely love the direction they have been taking since then so it's all good for me.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

DLG wrote:yeah Remission will probably always be my favorite, but I never wanted them to keep remaking that record and I absolutely love the direction they have been taking since then so it's all good for me.
thats the same view most musicians i know take. I dont know anyone who plays in a metal band that hates on Mastodon and that goes from knowns to unknowns. ive only seen them catch hate on the net.

I may have missed it but is Bill playing on this album at all?

also for the record SOAD never appealed to me and after the incident with Brent jumped off (im sure he was acting a redneck) I developed hate for them where as before I never cared.

maybe i still dont.

The first time i saw Mastodon was at Dixie Tavern in Nola when they opened for Eyehategod. That was the firt time they played down here and I along with the entire New Orleans scene at the time left that night huge Mastodon fans. That was when they were still playing the demo stuff and I remember all the Soilent Green guys jaws dropped on the first song.

we got so many killer southern bands.
:rockout:

RIP Dixie Tavern. such a sick venue. best place ever to play a show.

Masked Terror #1

Bill is on the album. They finished recording it months ago. His recuperation for "exhaustion" only affected a handful of European show dates where they weren't playing much/anything from the new record.

Obviously not everyone is going to be a die hard fan, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone who digs metal hate on Mastodon.

For me it's Leviathan, Blood Mountain, then Remission, but I love them all.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

another Leiathan fan. What about it makes you hold it at your favorite besides the fact that it crushes.

also how does everyone feel about the critical assessment that Mastodon is the 2000s Metallica?

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

heres the Mastodon discography for anyone interested.

Remission (2002)
http://rapidshare.com/files/177611993/M ... ission.rar

Leviathan (2004)
http://rapidshare.com/files/177621650/M ... iathan.rar

Blood Mountain (2006)
http://rapidshare.com/files/177610704/M ... untain.rar

Call Of The Mastodon demos etc..(2006)
http://rapidshare.com/files/177615786/M ... stodon.rar

bonus video
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/labytsb3gfI&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/labytsb3gfI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DLG

Post by DLG »

that video sucks.

no one is metallica in the 2000s. That's just not possible.

metal will probably never reach that level of worldwide success again.

Mastodon is without a doubt something special though. The are probably the only new band that oldschool heads have absolutely no gripes with because they do that shit right.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

I just think the critics want a new Metallica.
Im fine with just having a Mastodon.

post a better video then you most valued :phila: poster.

i didnt feel like digging. i just put it there for the casual lurker to watch.

plus dont old school Metlers dig High On Fire a little bit more for doing no wrong?

DLG

Post by DLG »

all of their videos are kinda :fail: march of the fire ants ain't too bad.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uShqlufsq5w&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uShqlufsq5w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

High on Fire isn't as cool across the board for metalheads.

they are too basic and motorheadish for everyone while mastodon pleases dudes you listen to stoner, thrash, prog almost everything and even catch the attention of power metal geeks with their fantasy and mythical lyrics.

something for everyone.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

your so cool brewster.

Masked Terror #1

I like Leviathan because of how wild and swirling the drums are on the whole album. It's like the sonic embodiment of a churning sea, which is convenient since that's the theme of the album.

And it fucking crushes.

For a minute I liked Blood Mountain best, but after a year of listening to mostly that, I'd digested it without burning out on it and Leviathan rose to the top of the heap again.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

i just like it because of the lyric crack your horsewhips, black hooves thrust to the sky!

my Leviathan cd is 99 tracks long. like each song is broken down into 15 parts or some bullshit. Anyone elses like that?

Masked Terror #1

No. That's weird.

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

remission is the only one i haven't heard. I'm a big fan of these guys. very much looking forward to some new shit from them.

Masked Terror #1

Talked to a guy today who knows the band and has heard the album.

He said all the same shit everyone else has been saying- really proggy (made a King Crimson comparison), not as hard as their other shit, BUT folks who've liked everything they've done up until now will like it.

At the risk of repeating myself ad nauseum, I am concerned but hopeful.

Want this shit to leak already so I can stop wondering whether I'm going to be disappointed or not.

Masked Terror #1

Masked Terror #1 wrote:The countdown to, um, something has begun- http://www.mastodonrocks.com/
The big reveal was that they redesigned the margins of the website, added a 20 second teaser of the intro to the first song, Oblivion, that doesn't really reveal much about the song and debuted the Crack The Skye specific logo, which is a pinwheel.