An ignorant rap fan comes up to you...

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

An ignorant rap fan comes up to you...

Post by Reason »

...and says, "I listen to ONLY rap music. I don't have any idea what is good, what is popular (besides quick billboards glances and radio snippets before changing to Hot 97) , or what is available. Enlighten me."

So what would you recommend. What genres, let's say top 5, would be most important in your estimation? On top of that, what are some essential songs from each of those genres?

This will lead to my education. My complete library of music has the following non hip hop: Mozart, Weezer from that blue-covered jawn, and that's pretty much it. What I have heard from Iron Maiden (Mr. Crowley) is pretty fucking awesome. But I have no other basis or knowledge for this shit. Rolling Stones? Led Zeppelin? Who's the more essential listen? Other genres of music? Wtf is with this Coldplay love? Are they worth checking out? Did Katy Perry really kiss a girl and if so can you provide video? Etc.

I have internet access and I'm not afraid to use it. I will even be willing to make some kind of :phila: essentials compilation for non-rap. I just want to get my learn on and maybe some of yall are bored enough to entertain me. If this thread ends up being 15 posters randomly posting some tracks they think are important for the general edification on a genre of music, mission accomplished and downloads will be had.

I also used to have Grant Green blues shit that I dug. Funk/jazz/basically anything would be greatly appreciated. No techno though k thx.
Nets 2022

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

like i be tellin' shorty, shorty you don't even need to solicit advice, just click on that fuckin' a thread and you'll get all the education you need

http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95045 - the thread is titled 'Fuckin' A uploads the most essential albums of all time' adn delivers on the promise, including informative descriptions

pretty much everything you need in there
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

some of the links are probably dead btw, but most of the albums are easy enough to find through google

deepfriedjellol

Post by deepfriedjellol »

agreed with drizzle
and as for whats been dope these past few months:

accessible awesome rock
new raconteurs
new kings of leoon

im still gay for those two

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

deepfriedjellol wrote:agreed with drizzle
and as for whats been dope these past few months:

accessible awesome rock
new raconteurs
new kings of leoon

im still gay for those two
ty drizz...this is like the 3rd time i've ever come into this forum, the other two probably being accidental

and if you guys don't mind, quickly indulge me as to what is HAWT RIGHT NAOW like deepfried just did.

and deep, if i had to dl one raconteurs and one kings of leoon album, which ones?
Nets 2022

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

i would say honestly, don't even bother with all that noise, get a good foundation of classics first

choosing to listen to kings of leon or fagontours or whatever before led zeppelin is kinda like choosing to loose your virginity in a lethargic dryhump instead of an all-anal orgy

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

drizzle wrote:i would say honestly, don't even bother with all that noise, get a good foundation of classics first

choosing to listen to kings of leon or fagontours or whatever before led zeppelin is kinda like choosing to loose your virginity in a lethargic dryhump instead of an all-anal orgy
:rofl: i will heed.
Nets 2022

the brow

Post by the brow »

Mr. Crowley is an Ozzy song. If you like that, check out the first four Black Sabbath albums posthaste. Blizzard of Oz is worth a listen also.
Shoot bro, I got a waterproof suit yo.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

the brow wrote:Mr. Crowley is an Ozzy song. If you like that, check out the first four Black Sabbath albums posthaste. Blizzard of Oz is worth a listen also.
oops i knew that i was stupid and forgot to say i dig number of the beast from iron maiden.

i will check out black sabbath and blizzard of oz, good looks. i'm pretty excited to be able to listen to all this supposedly classic stuff for the first time ever
Nets 2022

DLG

Post by DLG »

blizzard of oz changed my life.

if you get that and like it and want more stuff like that, i can probably write a book on what to check out next.

mud

Post by mud »

metallica - master of puppets
slayer - seasons in the abyss
primus - sailing the seas of cheese
frank zappa - hot rats
pink floyd - animals

Ignore Led Zeppelin and The Beatles.
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

mud wrote:metallica - master of puppets
frank zappa - hot rats
pink floyd - animals

i will fully heed on the beatles. i'm not in the mood for that shit. ever. well maybe in a karaoke room mad non-sober.

i thought led zepp was essential listening? some discussion on this plz?

again drizz thx for the thread reference by fuckin a who did an incredible job, but still many of those artists are vague to me, very little to no name recognition on my part which leads me to believe these people are more obscure and i kind of want to take a mainstream essentials approach first. like i never heard of king crimson, and i'm going to assume there are more 'classic' or essential "progressive rock" albums than the one fuckin a posted...i have decided to dl the following five albums as starters:

1. blizzard of oz

2. innervisions

3. hot buttered soul

4. nick drake or animals - ANYONE GOT AN OPINION ON WHICH ONE?

5. super fly

i'm curious about the shit mud posted. for example i know metallica has a huge following and all i know are some songs i've heard from guitar hero. a couple had some riffs that are like the equivalent to a rap "head-nodder"
Nets 2022

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Black Flag
Black Sabbath
Metallica
Motorhead
The Misfits
Corrosion Of Conformity

solid and listenable intro to Hesh Law

marinville

Post by marinville »

mud wrote:metallica - master of puppets
frank zappa - hot rats
pink floyd - animals

I just uploaded hot rats, and a lot of other zappa albums, recently http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105821

I recommend hot rats, and apostrophe for starters. if you like those, overnite sensation and weasels ripped my flesh are a nice follow up.

I've got to disagree with disregarding the beatles and zeppelin though. thats crazy. theres more to the beatles than the shit you hear on the oldies stations.

also, I've gotta disagree with recommending animals, by floyd, before dark side of the moon. thats definitely their magnum opus and if he's never heard floyd, animals is just not that impressive.

fully recommend innervisions, superfly, and hot buttered soul though. some more classic funk and soul LPs that come to mind:
sly and the family stone's theres a riot goin on, bill withers' just as i am, parliament's mothership connection, funkadelic's self titled debut, marvin gaye's whats goin on, al green gets next to you & james brown's payback

here's some jazz classics, if you're up for that:

miles davis - kind of blue, in a silent way, bitches brew, sketches of spain
john coltrane - a love supreme, giant steps, my favorite things, africa
donald byrd - a new perspective, electric byrd, black byrd
duke pearson - wahoo
art blakey and the jazz messengers - moanin, indestructible
freddie hubbard - ready for freddie
lee morgan - the sidewinder
thelonious monk - monk's dream
wes montgomery - the incredible jazz guitar of wes montgomery
cal tjader - soul sauce
cannonball adderley & miles davis - somethin else
charles mingus - tijuana moods
dexter gordon - go
dave brubeck - time out
grant green - idle moments
herbie hancock - headhunters, sextant
lou donaldson - blues walk
mahavishnu orchestra - the inner mounting flame, birds of fire
weather report - mystic traveler, sweet nighter, black market
chick corea - return to forever
ornette coleman - the shape of jazz to come
sun ra - languidity
thad jones & mel lewis - consummation
jimmy smith & stanley turrentine - prayer meetin
stanley turrentine - let it go, joyride
curtis fuller - bluesette
bill evans - waltz for debbie
billy cobham - spectrum
stanley clarke - self titled
roland kirk - the inflated tear, the case of the three sided dream in audio color
hank mobley - soul station, the workout, dippin
eric dolphy - out to lunch
cecil taylor - unit structures, conquistador
gil evans - svengali
sonny rollins - the bridge, saxophone colossus
yusef lateef - the centaur and the phoenix

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

^^

:cheers: times ten
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

i have not ever seen any of these song names which means i've probably never heard them. amazing. will check these beatles songs
Nets 2022

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

Reason wrote:i have not ever seen any of these song names which means i've probably never heard them. amazing. will check these beatles songs
geez man, "happiness is a warm gun" "rocky raccoon" "norwegian wood" and "blackbird" are apart of their staples.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

marinville wrote:I've got to disagree with disregarding the beatles and zeppelin though. thats crazy. theres more to the beatles than the shit you hear on the oldies stations.
the abbey road medley is the fucking greatest thing on earth

ric

Post by ric »

drizzle wrote:like i be tellin' shorty, shorty you don't even need to solicit advice, just click on that fuckin' a thread and you'll get all the education you need
:wutang:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

mud wrote: Ignore Led Zeppelin and The Beatles.
this is just retarded, from both the musical and historical perspective

also, animals is indeed the best pink floyd album, dark side of the moon is just more accessible

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

marinville wrote:and anybody who wishes to diminish the beatles, put these in your pipe and smoke them
GOAT
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cqOKvonLrH8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cqOKvonLrH8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
those blokes were some mean motherfuckers

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Got to throw some Clutch in the mix.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Hot Buttered Soul, Superfly and Innervisions are all good recommendations but a lot of stuff mentioned so far isn't necessarily essential. There are a lot of metal heads in this forum so keep that in mind. You don't particularly strike me as the metal type.

Ignore the Led Zeppelin hate. I would start off with either their self titled or IV (commonly referred to as ZOSO). II and Physical Graffiti would both be fine choices to start with as well.

If you're new to Pink Floyd, I would probably start with Dark Side Of The Moon.

More essential listening:

The Clash - London Calling
Sam Cooke - Night Beat
Nirvana - MTV Unplugged
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River
Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Jeff Buckley - Grace
The Pixies - Doolittle
Alice In Chains - Dirt
Van Morrison - Moondance
Otis Redding - Otis Blue
John Lennon - Imagine

Actually you'd probably be best off downloading the Greatest Hits out of most of the artists mentioned. Also download the best of The Rolling Stones, Al Green, Nina Simone, The Doors, The Cure....

Oh and Coldplay is extremely fucking gay.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Tommy Bunz wrote: Actually you'd probably be best off downloading the Greatest Hits out of most of the artists mentioned. Also download the best of The Rolling Stones, Al Green, Nina Simone, The Doors, The Cure....
c'mon now, greatest hits is ho shit. be a man, listen to the albums as they're meant to be heard

also, reason you are probably starting to notice that the definition of essential is a personal thing, i'd say go with your gut and names your recognize more than anything else.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

drizzle wrote: c'mon now, greatest hits is ho shit. be a man, listen to the albums as they're meant to be heard
I agree with you and very rarely purchase best-of collections but someone in his position would be better off starting here and then seeking out the full albums of the artists he likes.

mud

Post by mud »

drizzle wrote:

also, animals is indeed the best pink floyd album, dark side of the moon is just more accessible
Fuck historical perspective, Plant sucks shit at singing.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

mud wrote:
drizzle wrote:

Fuck historical perspective, Plant sucks shit at singing.
even if i agreed with this, which i don't, wouldn't one of the most influential rock bands of all time which featured some of the best instrumentation of any big name band EVER be just worth a tiny look at least to a rock neophyte, even with iffy vocals?

mud

Post by mud »

I just personally wouldn't recommend them. Not a fan of their music at all.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

mud wrote:I just personally wouldn't recommend them. Not a fan of their music at all.
drizzle wrote: also, reason you are probably starting to notice that the definition of essential is a personal thing, i'd say go with your gut and names your recognize more than anything else.