The Metal Thread

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

Masked Terror #1

The Metal Thread

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

The drop off in regular metal posters (RIP Cas, ChristPuncher, et all) leads me to believe one ongoing metal thread makes more sense than the dozens of individual ones I'm so fond of starting, so here goes.

In other words, let's keep it in here DLG, catfish and bombs.

Anyway, how rad is it when you go to see two out of three bands on a bill and the third one turns out to be just as good? Love that shit.

That's exactly what happened to me last night. Went to Philly to see Woe and Javelina at the Kung Fu Necktie. Great venue, btw. Had never seen Woe before, but love the album. Was curious to see how the live show would turn out since Chris Grigg wrote and played everything on the record. Apparently last night marked the debut of their Iron Maiden style three guitar lineup and the good news is that the whole thing translated great live. Woe fucking ripped and were loud as shit. Hung with Chris for a bit after the show, really cool guy. Psyched to see what they come up with next.

Javelina headlined and were really sick. This was my second time seeing this awesomely fat, bald and bearded quartet and they slayed even harder in front of a home town crowd. Their album is solid, but it doesn't really prepare you for the shreditude of their live onslaught. If you get a chance, go see these guys live. You'll be psyched you did.

As for the pleasant surprise, the third band on the bill was a crew called Howl from Providence. These guys are fucking awesome. Huge, crushing riffs that veer between Kill Em All era Metallica and pummeling doom. And they have a hot chick bass-player. Doesn't seem like they have anything out yet, but peep their myspace- www.myspace.com/howlheavymetal . It doesn't really do justice to how awesome their show is, but it'll give you an idea. They're on tour now, see them if you can. I'm definitely going to make a point to catch them again at SXSW.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Howl rules. They actually do have something out and Ive had it for a little while. Ill post it up here in a minute. Ive been really wanting to see Javelina live since last summer. this band called the Claw (RIP MIkey) came to my DIY while they were on tour and they told me to check out Javelina who they were friends with. Ive been impressed with them since and plan to book them when they head down this way.

the same thing you said about Javelina applies to one of my new favorite bands Music Hates You. I had heard and heard about these guys and how phenomenal their live show was. I am really good friends with a two piece Doom husband and wife duo called Dark Castle. They will be a force in metal. They tour relentlessly and after they played with us they told Music Hates You about us and via myspace I linked up with MHY and set them up to play with us here. Music Hates You is from Athens Georgia and these days saying a band is from Georgia almost gaurantees your getting some of the best of the best. Long story short I made the decision to book us with Music Hates You at the Downtown music in Little Rock the same night as the Scion Rock Fest and if I had to be anywhere in the world besides Scion im proud we got to open for Music Hates You. They totally exceeded the hype. I have their album Send More Paramedics which is an asskicker somewhere between the Melvins and i dont even know who else. They are just an awesome awesome band and terrific dudes. I got them coming back here in April to play at my place and its gonna be a throwdown. I know they are playing NYC pretty soon and I would suggest you go out where they are playing and see what Im talking about MT1. You wont regret that decision. They are signed to Zoroasters label and with song titles like How The Fuck DO I get Him Out Of My Living Room and The Smartes Son Of A Bitch On The Planet how can you go wrong. Rock and ROll , Ape Sex and Hell!
:rockout:
www.myspace.com/musichatesyou

ill try to upload the album

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

heres link to a Howl record.

http://lix.in/f185de8c

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Eyehategod discography for ALASKA

In the Name of Suffering (1992)
http://rapidshare.com/files/144649418/E ... fering.rar

Take as Needed for Pain (1993)
http://rapidshare.com/files/144642197/E ... r_Pain.rar

Dopesick (1996)
http://rapidshare.com/files/144654462/E ... pesick.rar

Southern Discomfort (2000)
http://rapidshare.com/files/144659115/E ... omfort.rar

Confederacy of Ruined Lives (2000)
http://rapidshare.com/files/144635351/E ... _Lives.rar

"I Am the Gestapo" split with Cripple Bastards (2004)
http://rapidshare.com/files/145059529/_ ... _split.rar

99 Miles of Bad Road (2004)
http://rapidshare.com/files/145060040/E ... d_Road.rar

Preaching the 'End Time' Message (2005)
http://rapidshare.com/files/144644163/E ... essage.rar

thats the whole disography. there a good tribute album too called for the sick. If any of these links dont work ill be glad to re-up them for ya.

My favorite band ever. Also let me know if you need the cover art.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Outlaw Order - Dragging Down The Enforcer
http://lix.in/-34ee2b

Outlaw Order - Legalize Crime.
http://lix.in/696850

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

anyone know what happened to Cas?
When people think of Providence, Rhode Island they typically think of organized crime

the brow

Post by the brow »

Props for those EHG uploads, catfish. I already rock Dopesick and Southern Discomfort. Which albums do you like the most after those two?
Shoot bro, I got a waterproof suit yo.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

the brow wrote:Props for those EHG uploads, catfish. I already rock Dopesick and Southern Discomfort. Which albums do you like the most after those two?
take as needed and confederacy of ruined lives.
their body of work is my favorite thing that ever happened in music so im down for any of it at any given moment. seen em live over a dozen times.

Masked Terror #1

Cas asked Gloss to ban him so that he could prove to his wife that there was no way for him to access PF anymore.

I wish I was joking, but I'm not.

MT2, if you're reading this, please bless this thread with the relevant gif.

Masked Terror #1

And thanks for that Howl, catfish.

So fucking good. I'd read that they had a three-song demo out, I guess this is it.

They better hurry the fuck up and put out a full length. I'm going to catch them again at an in-store they're doing at Snake Eyes Vinyl in Austin on Fri. Tombs is playing too :rockout:

Masked Terror #1

This Music Hates You shit is pretty tight too. They're playing with your boys Rwake in Austin. Will try and catch em.

DLG

Post by DLG »

haven't been found much metal lately that interests me except for the new Kylesa and the leaked songs of the new Mastodon.

enjoying this album although it's kind of too derivative, but rips off some of my favorite albums ever.

The progressive German death metal band Obscura was founded in 2002 by guitarist/vocalist Steffen
Kummerer and drummer Jonas Baumgartl. The band caused a stir when they - out of nowhere - toured as
support for Suffocation on their European tour in 2006 and when they independently released their
debut album ג€˜Retributionג€™ that same year. The release of the debut album followed a second European
tour, this time as headliner, in 2007.
After several lineup changes, Kummerer enlisted a new team of virtuoso musicians. Late 2007, Obscura
added drummer Hannes Grossmann (ex-Necrophagist) and fretless bassist Jeroen Paul Thesseling
(ex-Pestilence) as new permanent members. The group's latest addition, guitarist Christian Muenzner
(ex-Necrophagist), came into the ranks early 2008.
Together they create their vision of the future of extreme metal. A symbiosis of death, thrash and
black metal merged with progressive elements and technical as well as compositional demand. Obscura
has set ג€œCosmogenesisג€ as the title of it's second full-length album via Relapse Records. The CD
features guest appearances from Ron Jarzombek (Watchtower, Spastic Ink, Blotted Science) and Tymon
Kruidenier (Cynic, Exivious).
ג€œCosmogenesisג€ doesnג€™t stick exclusively to a barrage of sheer brutality or a never ending show of
excessive technical skills. The album regularly dips into many different kinds of melodies to provide
a much more well rounded experience. Each track is nearly perfectly layered together into a complete
maelstrom of force that should make it onto the must have list of technical death metal fans...
http://rapidshare.com/files/194538932/Obsqr-C.rar

at some times there are riffs that are complete rip offs of riffs of Death Human.

What sets this apart from most technical death out today like Necrophagist is that the production is not that sterile, and the bass is audible.

It actually plays a huge role in the sound, fretless and very loud, the only problem is that it sounds exactly like DiGeorgio's playing on Death - Individual Thought Patterns.

still, pretty good disc, they'll be a good band when they find their style I think.

Masked Terror #1

Yeah, a lot of tech-death heads seem to be pretty psyched about Obscura.

I'll have to check it out.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:This Music Hates You shit is pretty tight too. They're playing with your boys Rwake in Austin. Will try and catch em.
yeah CT the vocalist from Rwake is kind of a Southern A&R man of sorts i suppose and hes absolutely the guy who introduced me to Music Hates You. I hope you get to see them so you can see what Im talkin about. Rwake too if you havent seen them yet.

Im still not confirmed as to whether or not i will be there yet but if I am I will definitely be attending that gig.

Im bored and I just woke up so i think im gonna upload a few albums I been into lately to give this thread a good jumpstart. Have been hearing the name Obscura but havent actually heard them yet. Not a huge Tech DM fan but for what its worth Brutal Truth is back and have announced today that they are recording a brand new album for Relapse Records. I heard a preview track on myspace and it rapes and kills.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

The Devil And The Sea - Heart Vs Spine: http://lix.in/3a72185b
Iג€™ve been excited about this record since I heard the tracks from their demo release. Defining the term ג€œpower trioג€, TDATS trim the fat and get right to the point; meaty, booming sludge rock with well developed riffs, metal tendencies and a dissonant, urban snarl that calls to mind noise-rockג€™s meanest. Dueling, torn larynx screams and shouts round out the verbal side of the bandג€™s assault making this an affair thatג€™s not for the timid.

The lack of subtlety with the majority of this material is clearly illustrated by ten minute opener ג€œBatwingג€. Slice nג€™ dice bursts of sludge-y noise-rock initially kick you in the teeth repeatedly until the band latches onto a controlled, hulking doom groove. Slow as sin riffs are punctuated with rollicking, mid-paced pummel that breaks things up appropriately, never allowing boredom to seep in. The overall sleaze and general tuning of the guitars reminds me of 16 at times. That feeling of thick doom simmered in jagged NYC tones hovers like an endless haze over this material.

ג€œTime out for Brimleyג€ (about the almighty Wilford Brimley from what I understand) sets off a series of lethal, shorter tracks that creep forth with the lowdown meanness of Cavity trading shots of Beam with 16. Repetition is key in this track as thereג€™s only a handful of riffs utilized but each one hits like a brass knuckle body blow.

That same vibe runs through the veins of ג€œMonolithג€ and ג€œTea Pinkyג€, both of which are a bit more driving and less downtrodden. Still the same aesthetic holds true; come up with a small collection of riffs, develop them to perfection and drive them into the listenerג€™s skull like a goddamn sledgehammer.

It is with ג€œMy Soul is my Abacusג€ that the band begins to loosen up their attack, expanding mood carefully with a bass heavy, noise tinged opening that sees the discordant textures rapidly interchanging with lurid sludge grooves. Droning, distantly melodic chords ring over the plodding drums that build a wall of sound so full of capillary exploding tension that youג€™ll be glad when release finally comes in the form of their menacing doom swing.

The monstrous title track takes its good old time to unfold before your eyes. This lengthy track gives TDATS a good chance to present their normal attack in its slowest incarnation. Lung scraped screams and nearly sung shouts mangle your ears as the music goes through a metamorphosis from ultra slow sludge, to spacious post-noise, a brief stop in head crush doom rock territory with a final, culminating burst of droning noise-rock thrown in for good measure. An endless void of evil screams, furious explosions of industrial guitar/bass noise and plodding drum smashes finishes off the record in the form of ג€œAbra Cadaverג€; an appropriately psychotic mess of ending noise.

Heart vs. Spine is a triumph of a debut record from start to finish and a great way to jumpstart 2008 for AND. Everything about this release just punishes the senses with thick, memorable songwriting nailing it all together. TDATS are a tight unit in every aspect musically with an ability to go from lean violent attacks to expansive, lengthier dirges without losing a bit of their edge and ferocity. I think this is a band that everyone is going to be hearing a lot about in the near future. Theyג€™ve got all the chops needed to set the underground circuit on fire. Imagine a brutal crossbreed of Cavity, 16, Unsane, Dazzling Killmen with just a slight pinch of early Mastodon and youג€™ll have an approximate mental portrait of the kind of damage this act dishes out. Beautiful, full color art rounds out this total package with a design that calls to mind John Dyer Baizleyג€™s warped style but with a decreased emphasis on the grotesque. Heart vs. Spine is highly recommended on all counts. (review from Jay Snyder @ HellrideMusic.com).

hopefully some of you people will give this band a listen. These dudes are friends and skaters and as a band they rape the fuckin shit out of a sick ass power trio. They are soon too embark on a tour and I hope some yall get to see them annihilate your local shithole bar.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Black Tusk - Passageway Through Purgatory
http://www.mediafire.com/?9typfjumjam

on the chance that someone missed this. One of mine and MT!s other favorite bands besides Kylesa.

one of my other very favorite bands. people who like what i upload should not sleep on this album. This band is amazing. We played with these dudes Feb 28th also but they have been a band ive been going to see for the last 5 years. this album is a masterpiece and was my favorite album with Outlaw Order last year.

Deadbird - Twilight Ritual (2008)
Sludge/Doom Metal

1.Into The Clearing
2.Death Of The Self
3.Rule Discordia
4.Feral Flame
5.The Riverbed
6.Twilight Ritual

Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dneycbkmwc3

DLG

Post by DLG »

Genre: Sludge / Stoner Metal
Info: mp3, V2 (VBR)
Label: Hydra Head Records
Release Date: March 13th
Torche - Healer / Across The Shields (EP) (2009)

01. Healer
02. Across The Shields
03. Mash It Up
04. Sugar Glider

http://rapidshare.com/files/209272484/H ... tal.ru.rar

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

Kinda want to see what Torche as a 3 piece sounds like.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

b0mbs_of_death wrote:Kinda want to see what Torche as a 3 piece sounds like.
I heard they dont suffer at all from the lack of Juan but there are certain songs they cant play live without the guy. Its fuckin Torche man!
The masters of melodic homo doom.

Masked Terror #1

Not a huge Torche fan, but they were good at Scion fest. If you were a fan before, you still will be.

Kylesa, Skeletonwitch and Blacktusk streaming live from the Muse in Nashville at 8:30 Eastern tonight. Here's the site- http://themusenashville.com/news.php

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

fuckin right dude. im watchin this. We played at the Muse last year. It was allright but not as grimey as the Springwater. Some coked up photgrapher was there who looked like Wilhelm Defoe and he kept getting right in my face to snap pics while throwing up horns each time like a swirling idiot. Everyone thought i was gonna snuff the dude but on the inside i was way too :rofl: for violence.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

link aint workin for me.

Masked Terror #1

Working for me, Man. Maybe try going to the main Muse website and clicking through from there.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

cool its working for me. Looks like Black Tusk is setting up. I see Laserflames is playing this show too. They used to be called Christine and the chick bass player Stevie is insanely hot in person. Shes a pretty swell friend of mine.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

fuck yes. this rules.

the Tusk is rippin it up. wish i was there!

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

catfish hunter wrote:
b0mbs_of_death wrote:Kinda want to see what Torche as a 3 piece sounds like.
I heard they dont suffer at all from the lack of Juan but there are certain songs they cant play live without the guy. Its fuckin Torche man!
The masters of melodic homo doom.
Yeah Steve writes all the songs anyway. Hope they can get a second guitarists to give it more chunk.

Masked Terror #1

Here's the latest from Razor of Occam, Homage To Martyrs. Quality Blackened Thrash.

It's their first for Metal Blade and comes out tomorrow. They're mostly from Australia but live in England, have been around for a while and feature ex-members of Destroyer666.

If you liked the Tribulation album I posted up a while ago, you'll like this.

1. Altar Of Corruption
2. Bite Of Dogmata
3. Day Of Wrath
4. Heat Of Battle
5. Immortal Code
6. Pattern On The Stone
7. Flame Bearers
8. Shadow Of The Cross

Donny Chicago

Post by Donny Chicago »

This album has been doing it for me alot lately... Ive been a fan since their first album... They are just brutal...

Tracklist:
01.Skynet
02.Seaward
03.Dr Doom
04.Forget-Me-Now
05.Cthulhu
06.Baby Buster
07.Balboa Towers
08.JFC
09.Kraken
10.The Combine
11.The Behemoth

http://rapidshare.com/files/135150595/A ... actory.rar

DLG

Post by DLG »

SUNN O))) is proud to present their 7th studio album, after 10 years of existence, entitled Monoliths & Dimensions. The album showcases the core guitar duo - Stephen Oג€™Malley and Greg Anderson - incorporating influences from a plethora of guest musicians, bringing the SUNN O))) sound to epic new levels. The band also collaborated with composer Eyvind Kang (notable for his work with John Zorn, Marc Ribot, Bill Frisell, etc.) on various acoustic ensembles, in addition to the Helios fueled electric guitars and basses. Key players on the album include Australian guitar genius Oren Ambarchi, enigmatic Hungarian vocalist Attila Csihar (Mayhem, Tormentor, etc.) and slow music godfather Dylan Carlson (Earth), as well as a brass section: Steve Moore (of Earth), Julian Priester (worked with Sun Ra in the 50s, John Coltraneג€™s African Brass band, and Herbie Hancockג€™s Sextant band) and new-music horn player Stuart Dempster. Thereג€™s also an upright bass trio, French & English horns, harp & flute duo, piano, reed & strings ensembles, and a Viennese womanג€™s choir led by Persian vocal savant Jessika Kenney.

The album is not ג€œSUNN O))) with stringsג€ or ג€œmetal meets orchestraג€ material. The band took an approach concentrating on more of allusion toward the timbre of feedback and the instruments involved, so the piece is really illusory, beautiful and not entirely linear, stating that the end product is ג€œthe most musical piece weג€™ve done, and also the heaviest, powerful and most abstract set of chords weג€™ve laid to tapeג€ The album was recorded and mixed by Randall Dunn & Mell Dettmer at various points over the last 2 years, and will be released late May 2009. Monoliths & Dimensions is practice in density, gravity and momentum.

Masked Terror #1

Sacrificing some underground/muso cred here, but I don't get SUNN O))) at all. They bore the shit out of me.