The Metal Thread

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

Mercuthio

Re: The Metal Thread

Post by Mercuthio »

happy birfday, dude.

May you mosh your way to 35.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Mercuthio wrote:happy birfday, dude.

May you mosh your way to 35.
fact: I mosh harder as a taxpayer

Mercuthio

Post by Mercuthio »

well, as a taxpayer, you've earned the right to mosh

Mercuthio

Post by Mercuthio »

new Bloodbath rips something serious

DLG

Post by DLG »

hey guys I made a mixtape of some of my favorite shit and wrote one-sentence descriptions of the albums that these songs are from.

http://8tracks.com/mouthfart666/favorit ... tunes-2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Track 1 - “Triumph and Power”
Grand Magus - Triumph and Power
Thunderous heavy metal with balls the size of Joey DiMaio’s ego.
Track 2 -“Magic Hooligan”
Slough Feg - Digital Resistance
Defiant traditional heavy metal with a huge analog heart and an even bigger hard-on for Thin Lizzy.
Track 3 -“The Motherload”
Mastodon - Once More ‘Round the Sun
Even though it’s the first time you can say that Mastodon - arguably the best metal band of the last 10 years - are truly repeating themselves, it’s still better than most other things.
Track 4 -“Whatever Makes You Feel Superior”
Toehider - What Kind of Creature Am I?
Tongue-in-cheek progressive metal that combines the melodic sensibilities of bands like 3 and Coheed and Cambria with the complexity and lightheartedness of Freak Kitchen.
Track 5 - “Last Train Victoria Line”
Voices - London
A truly genre-bending conceptual metal album that amazingly manages to be cohesive while letting every song tell a story of its own.
Track 6 - “Let the Serpent Follow Me”
Sanctuary - The Year the Sun Died
Not even close to as good as their 1990 masterpiece, but still way better than the last Nevermore album.
Track 7 - “Punishment By Design”
Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism
A perfect example of how to make traditional progressive metal in 2014 without sounding dated or like a shitty Dream Theater clone.
Track 8 - “Mutant Messiah”
Mekong Delta - Into a Mirror Darkly
This album is as great as it is uncool to play this type of progressive thrash metal in 2014.
Track 9 - “Unique Path”
Serdce - Timelessness
Mid-90s Cynic and Atheist jamming with Liquid Tension Experiment while my 17-year-old self fervently masturbates in the corner.
Track 10 - “Eater of Gods”
At the Gates - At War With Reality
The Swedes return to show all of the bands that have been ripping them off over the last two decades how it’s done.
Track 11 - “Scorched Earth Policy”
Revocation - Deathless
If you like progressive death and thrash metal, these are the best riffs, solos, and songs you’ll hear in 2014.
Track 12 - “Carved in Stone”
Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails
Technical death metal with enough atmosphere and personality to avoid sounding as sterile as most technical death metal sounds in 2014.
Track 13 - “Basilisk”
Torrential Downpour - Truth Knowledge Wisdom
This sounds like Mike Patton recording a new album after locking himself in a room and listening to nothing but Strapping Young Lad’s “Alien” for a year.
Track 14 - “L’Eclisse”
Nero di Marte - Derivae
The Italian lovechild of Gorguts and Gojira.
Track 15 - “Balkanized”
Pyrrhon - The Mother of Virtues
Chaotic death metal with very little regard for what’s “true” and “proper” death metal.
Track 16 - “Absorbing Black Ignition”
Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation
Dissonant and disturbing technical death metal with Demilich-esque bullfrog vocals.
Track 17 - “The Bright White Nothing At the End of the Tunnel”
Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise
Proof that you can play complex and forward-thinking black metal in 2014 without trying to sound like Deathspell Omega.
Track 18 - “Cult of One”
Noneuclid - Metatheosis
Futuristic cyber tech-thrash that manages to sounds as smart as Voivod and as violent as Slayer at the same time.
Track 19 - “Dying Foretold”
Dimesland - Psychogenic Atrophy
A formidable technical death metal force that sounds like Voivod meets Martyr meets Atheist and then some.
Track 20 - “Lament”
Geryon - s/t
Guitar-less technical death metal that manages to sound heavier and more imposing than most death metal bands that have two guitar players.
Track 21 - “Dripping Sun”
Baring Teeth - Ghost Chorus Among Old Ruins
Death metal Dysrhythmia.
Track 22 - “Serpentskin”
Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
About as good as it gets when it comes to old school death metal worship in the vein of classic Immolation and Incantation.
Track 23 - “Church of Vastitas”
Bloodbath - Grand Morbid Funeral
Better than every Entombed-core band you like.
Track 24 - “The Alchemist’s Head”
Primordial - Where Greater Men Have Fallen
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Track 25 - “Behind the Curtain”
Emptiness - Nothing But the Whole
What Nachtmystium should have tried to sound like after “Assassins” and “Addicts.”
Track 26 - “Al-Malik”
Murmur - s/t
King Crimson trying to play black metal.
Track 27 - “The King”
Merkabah - Moloch
Noise rock with a healthy dose of King Crimson worship as well.
Track 28 - “The Assassination of Adam”
Kayo Dot - Coffins on Io
Prog nerds trying to play sexy music has never sounded sexier (or proggier).
Track 29 - “Cinnamomom Parthenoxylon”
Botanist - VI: Flora
If black metal is all about non-conformity and treading your own path, then playing eco-friendly black metal with hammered dulcimers instead of guitars is the most black metal thing ever.
Track 30 - “Island Sun”
Gridlink - Longhena
A fitting exclamation point on the career of a band that pushed the limits of grindcore with each release.
Track 31 - “Desert Shadows”
Wild Throne - Blood Maker
Sludgy progressive metal that sounds like early Mastodon and Baroness duking it out with Cave In.
Track 32 - “If There Is Room To Move, Things Move”
Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown
The only metalcore band that doesn’t suck in 2014.
Track 33 - “Are You Kidding Me? No”
Destrage - Are You Kidding Me? No
Modern and quirky progressive metal that proves you can be technical and complex while still having a good time.

Mercuthio

Post by Mercuthio »

Dude.

Awesome. Alot of stuff I haven't heard yet.

much appreciated!

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

:cheers: DLG Thanks man

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

DLG

Post by DLG »

New Enslaved album is streaming. Not much of a departure from their recent albums, but still sounding dope.

DLG

Post by DLG »

loving this album

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

DLG wrote:New Enslaved album is streaming. Not much of a departure from their recent albums, but still sounding dope.
Nice. Gonna see these guys in Boston w/YOB and Ecstatic Vision. Should be a killer show.

DLG

Post by DLG »

yep, they are amazing live. the new album is good, but not as good as the last one or two.

Homer Simpson

Post by Homer Simpson »

http://okillydokilly.bandcamp.com/album/okilly-demos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

illuminati_guy

Post by illuminati_guy »

best metal albums of 2015 are these in no order

leviathan - scar sighted atmospheric usbm, jef whitehead keeps winning
panopticon - autumn eternal less folk, more post blackgaze than roads to the north was
mgla - exercises in futility dark, melancholic black metal, amazing drum work
misþyrming - söngvar elds og óreiðu debut from icelandic black metal, fast and raw
akitsa - grands tyrans canadian punkish noise black metal
lychgate - an anditode for the glass pill some experimental bm stuff
the 3rd attempt - born in thorns norwegian super group playing thrashy black n roll. if you like to drink beer front of church you might wanna jam to this
sannhet - revisionist instrumental post black metal, kinda relaxing album
myrkur - m myrkur the black metals industry plant. trve kvlt or not, album is dope, i dig the atmosphere
akhlys - the dreaming 1 creepy atmospheric usbm, some dark ambient here n there.
grift - syner swedish post black metal, nothing super original but i like this
revenge - behold.total.rejection if you never liked any of revenge albums, you won't like this. same black/death/grind, but i love it
napalm death - aphex predator - easy meat grind core legends didn't disappont me
iron maiden - the book of souls some strongest maiden songs here they've done in years. empire of the clouds alone >>>>
satan - atom by atom more NWOBHM, pure heavy metal with nothing truly new, dudes just know how to write n play killer songs
ranger - where evil dwells traditional as fuck speed metal from finland. kids now how to do this right way
speedtrap - straight shooter like ranger, also finnish band. not as good, but dope
thou and the body - you, whom i have always hated big fan of both bands, great album
the body and krieg - st another the body collab album, this time with usbm act krieg, more dark industrial doom like i shall die here, but even darker
ghoulgotha - the deathmass cloak old school death metal that didn't get good reviews but i like it
cattle decapitation - the anthropocene extinction fucking amazing deathgrind album, batshit crazy
cryptic sermon - out of the garden epic doom metal for the fans of candlemass
wings of genocide - usurping the throne of disease female fronted death/crust. bangers on bsngers on bangers
black breath - slaves beyond death another good black breath album

might be missing something

DLG

Post by DLG »

Lychgate, Crypt Sermon, Satan and Cattle Decapitation are on my list as well.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

the mgla record is pretty good

also magic circle

DLG

Post by DLG »

GOD DAMN

6:20 onward is absolutely astonishing.

shit's been on preorder. best new metal band on the earth right now.

ADR

Post by ADR »

Dope. I've probably slept on a lot of progressive thrash stuff in the past few years.

Really looking forward to the new The Faceless album. Or Gojira. Whichever of them manages to drop this year.

DLG

Post by DLG »

if you like the faceless, check out Fallujah, they have a new one dropping soon, I think they have a more distinct and original sound. Still fast and brutal, but lots of spacey ambient stuff.

ADR

Post by ADR »

Great recommendation. "The Flesh Prevails" has been quaking through the walls of my house and headphones for the past several months.

I've been on a tech/ progressive death metal kick since last summer. The Faceless' Planetary Duality & Autotheism split my whole head. Obscura's Retribution & Ominvium, Gorguts' Colored Sands (and holy shit, I just saw by way of Metallum that they're preparing another release for this year)

I think people missed your favorites of 2015 list like you did for 2014. I'd love to see it if it exists.

If not, I'm curious as to what you thought of the Elder and Leprous records last year.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Yeah, I'm going to see Gorguts in April. The tour is fucking retarded, Psycroptic, Dysrythmia, Nero Di Marte.

I liked the Elder album, really nice music to chill too, I've really cooled off on stoner stuff though over the last few years.

Leprous have been one of my favorite bands for a minute. I even booked them three times, great guys.

I was a big prog metal nerd growing up, Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Queensryche, etc, so that's where my taste usually are. Even when I listen to brutal stuff, I need it to be proggy or at least weird to be super enjoyable.

2015 was a great year where there are finally new prog metal bands that are traditional in the sense that there's no death/black cross-pollination, it's all clean singing, but they sound fresh and not like some shitty Dream Theater clones we've heard a billion times.

Leprous lead that pack, but I also like

Agent Fresco - which is a cool, slightly gay band from Iceland that sounds super unique. Complex playing, but really short songs, unique high pitched vocals with really outside the box melodies. Basically they don't sound like any other band and I have a feeling that most of them don't even listen to metal or any type of traditional prog rock.

Caligula's Horse - Australian band that has a little bit of everything, great singer, complex song structures, nice solos, nice variety of riffing and lots of mellowness. They been my most listened to band this year, just really dig their sound.

Vola - The only "djent" band I'll probably ever like. Heavy, detuned Meshuggah like riffs, but that's about where the djent comparisons stop. Danish guys, huge keyboards, really nice vocals with a pop sensibility, dude reminds me at times of guys like the dude from Dredg, Adrian Belew and even that dude from Mr. Mister. Great songwriting. Every time it sounds like they are going into some boring Meshuggah-lite territory I've heard a billion times, they hit you with some sweet keyboards, interesting vocals, electronica. They also have a few tunes that basically sound like metal versions of the band Mew.

Wild Throne - These guys basically sound like The Mars Volta jamming with Converge or early Cave In. Really high energy unique prog metal.

I made a mixtape of all my favorite stuff from this year.

https://8tracks.com/mouthfart666/met...-liked-in-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the tracklist:

1. Cattle Decapitation – Circo Inhumanitas
2. Theory in Practice – The Amendment of Germplasm
3. Satyrasis – Dead Peasants
4. Gorod – Celestial Nature
5. WatchTower – Technology Inaction
6. Sacral Rage – Waltz in Madness
7. Satan – Ruination
8. Crypt Sermon – Will of the Ancient Call
9. Enslaved – Daylight
10. Wild Throne – The Wrecking Ball Unchained
11. Native Construct – Your Familiar Face
12. SikTh – Walking Shadows
13. Agent Fresco – See Hell
14. Leprous – Moon
15. Ghost Ship Octavius – Mills of the Gods
16. Teramaze – Out of Subconscious
17. Caligula's Horse – Dragonfly
18. Failure – Counterfeit Sky
19. Chelsea Wolfe – Carrion Flowers
20. Torche – Barrier Hammer
21. Öxxö Xööx – Dälëïth
22. Lychgate – The Illness Named Imagination
23. VHÖL – Lightless Sun
24. Baroness – Chlorine & Wine
25. Vola – Inmazes

Here's my 2014 mixtape that was significantly heavier and had a lot of weird dissonant death metal.

http://8tracks.com/mouthfart666/favorit ... tunes-2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Track 1 - “Triumph and Power”
Grand Magus - Triumph and Power
Thunderous heavy metal with balls the size of Joey DiMaio’s ego.

Track 2 -“Magic Hooligan”
Slough Feg - Digital Resistance
Defiant traditional heavy metal with a huge analog heart and an even bigger hard-on for Thin Lizzy.

Track 3 -“The Motherload”
Mastodon - Once More ‘Round the Sun
Even though it’s the first time you can say that Mastodon - arguably the best metal band of the last 10 years - are truly repeating themselves, it’s still better than most other things.

Track 4 -“Whatever Makes You Feel Superior”
Toehider - What Kind of Creature Am I?
Tongue-in-cheek progressive metal that combines the melodic sensibilities of bands like 3 and Coheed and Cambria with the complexity and lightheartedness of Freak Kitchen.

Track 5 - “Last Train Victoria Line”
Voices - London
A truly genre-bending conceptual metal album that amazingly manages to be cohesive while letting every song tell a story of its own.

Track 6 - “Let the Serpent Follow Me”
Sanctuary - The Year the Sun Died
Not even close to as good as their 1990 masterpiece, but still way better than the last Nevermore album.

Track 7 - “Punishment By Design”
Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism
A perfect example of how to make traditional progressive metal in 2014 without sounding dated or like a shitty Dream Theater clone.

Track 8 - “Mutant Messiah”
Mekong Delta - Into a Mirror Darkly
This album is as great as it is uncool to play this type of progressive thrash metal in 2014.

Track 9 - “Unique Path”
Serdce - Timelessness
Mid-90s Cynic and Atheist jamming with Liquid Tension Experiment while my 17-year-old self fervently masturbates in the corner.

Track 10 - “Eater of Gods”
At the Gates - At War With Reality
The Swedes return to show all of the bands that have been ripping them off over the last two decades how it’s done.

Track 11 - “Scorched Earth Policy”
Revocation - Deathless
If you like progressive death and thrash metal, these are the best riffs, solos, and songs you’ll hear in 2014.

Track 12 - “Carved in Stone”
Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails
Technical death metal with enough atmosphere and personality to avoid sounding as sterile as most technical death metal sounds in 2014.

Track 13 - “Basilisk”
Torrential Downpour - Truth Knowledge Wisdom
This sounds like Mike Patton recording a new album after locking himself in a room and listening to nothing but Strapping Young Lad’s “Alien” for a year.

Track 14 - “L’Eclisse”
Nero di Marte - Derivae
The Italian lovechild of Gorguts and Gojira.

Track 15 - “Balkanized”
Pyrrhon - The Mother of Virtues
Chaotic death metal with very little regard for what’s “true” and “proper” death metal.

Track 16 - “Absorbing Black Ignition”
Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation
Dissonant and disturbing technical death metal with Demilich-esque bullfrog vocals.

Track 17 - “The Bright White Nothing At the End of the Tunnel”
Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise
Proof that you can play complex and forward-thinking black metal in 2014 without trying to sound like Deathspell Omega.

Track 18 - “Cult of One”
Noneuclid - Metatheosis
Futuristic cyber tech-thrash that manages to sounds as smart as Voivod and as violent as Slayer at the same time.

Track 19 - “Dying Foretold”
Dimesland - Psychogenic Atrophy
A formidable technical death metal force that sounds like Voivod meets Martyr meets Atheist and then some.

Track 20 - “Lament”
Geryon - s/t
Guitar-less technical death metal that manages to sound heavier and more imposing than most death metal bands that have two guitar players.

Track 21 - “Dripping Sun”
Baring Teeth - Ghost Chorus Among Old Ruins
Death metal Dysrhythmia.

Track 22 - “Serpentskin”
Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
About as good as it gets when it comes to old school death metal worship in the vein of classic Immolation and Incantation.

Track 23 - “Church of Vastitas”
Bloodbath - Grand Morbid Funeral
Better than every Entombed-core band you like.

Track 24 - “The Alchemist’s Head”
Primordial - Where Greater Men Have Fallen
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Track 25 - “Behind the Curtain”
Emptiness - Nothing But the Whole
What Nachtmystium should have tried to sound like after “Assassins” and “Addicts.”

Track 26 - “Al-Malik”
Murmur - s/t
King Crimson trying to play black metal.

Track 27 - “The King”
Merkabah - Moloch
Noise rock with a healthy dose of King Crimson worship as well.

Track 28 - “The Assassination of Adam”
Kayo Dot - Coffins on Io
Prog nerds trying to play sexy music has never sounded sexier (or proggier).

Track 29 - “Cinnamomom Parthenoxylon”
Botanist - VI: Flora
If black metal is all about non-conformity and treading your own path, then playing eco-friendly black metal with hammered dulcimers instead of guitars is the most black metal thing ever.

Track 30 - “Island Sun”
Gridlink - Longhena
A fitting exclamation point on the career of a band that pushed the limits of grindcore with each release.

Track 31 - “Desert Shadows”
Wild Throne - Blood Maker
Sludgy progressive metal that sounds like early Mastodon and Baroness duking it out with Cave In.

Track 32 - “If There Is Room To Move, Things Move”
Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown
The only metalcore band that doesn’t suck in 2014.

Track 33 - “Are You Kidding Me? No”
Destrage - Are You Kidding Me? No
Modern and quirky progressive metal that proves you can be technical and complex while still having a good time.

ADR

Post by ADR »

This shit is outlandish. I still haven't made it through the 2015 list. Every time I come across a band I've never heard of, I'm not ready to move to the next song in the playlist for several days.

God bless Bandcamp, btw. Bandcamp is the best thing to happen to metal since...well, I'm not a big enough metal-head to finish that kind of statement but I love the fuck out of Bandcamp.

Been killing this in 2016:

Carnosus - The Universal Culmination EP

DLG

Post by DLG »

^that's a nice slab of old school swedish death metal right there.

sweet.

and btw, I just got an offer to book Elder in October. Hope it works out, would love to check them out live.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Kvelertak & Torche was lit tbh

DLG

Post by DLG »

Torche are awesome like.

I just saw Gorguts/Dysrythmia - absolutely nuts

and Decapitated/Hate - was lit as well

ADR

Post by ADR »

So apparently, The Glorious Rebellion (Florida metal band), was so moved by their harsh review on AngryMetalGuy.com, they decided to read the review aloud on Youtube:

(Best experienced if read along with the recitation below):

Honestly, this has spoiled me. I have no interest in reading anymore metal reviews. Every metal band should be forced to read their AMG reviews for instant upload.

ADR

Post by ADR »

Also, second certified jam for me in 2016:

Fractured Insanity - Man Made Hell

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

I've been to a few shows lately. Saw Conan with bell witch, Bongzilla with lo pan and weedeater with today is the day and Lord dying. I'm seeing pallbearer Friday after next and then magrudergrind the day after that. I'm also going to Maryland deathfest at the end of the month. Psyched as fuck.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Vektor album is out today and it's glorious beyond imagination.

DLG

Post by DLG »

don't sleep on the new Meshuggah, it's very easily their best and most visceral since Nothing.