malpractice's mike patton thread

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

that'll only help ya with fantomas and tomahawk, however.

The Aluminum Falcon

Post by The Aluminum Falcon »

not exactly what I had in mind but thanks anyways.

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

i dont necessarily mind people copping music for free unless it's patton stuff. then i mind. it's too good to be free. buy that shit!

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

I loathe threads where posters refer to themselves in third person in the title.

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

^ blame jellol for that one

this thread is an offshoot of the "malpractice hates portishead and turned it into a patton thread" thread.

dat piff

Re: mondo cane/malpractice's mike patton thread

Post by dat piff »

malpractice wrote:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zaUrzMeS4xg&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zaUrzMeS4xg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
if u sat on a speaker bare ass so that your asshole was suctioned against it and turned this on, would u come, really hard?
ImageImageImage

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

malpractice wrote:i dont necessarily mind people copping music for free unless it's patton stuff. then i mind. it's too good to be free. buy that shit!
:fail: :fail: :fail: :fail: :fail:

Aluminum Falcon - start with Faith No More. My favorite band of all time. I will zap you some uploads when i get a chance, but it should actually be REALLY simple to find a torrent or link. I would go Mr. Bungle next, and then Fantomas directors cut. If you like all of that, then there is a world of other Mike Patton shit to dive into. FNM first though.

The Aluminum Falcon

Post by The Aluminum Falcon »

Hacksaw Jim Thuggin wrote:
malpractice wrote:i dont necessarily mind people copping music for free unless it's patton stuff. then i mind. it's too good to be free. buy that shit!
:fail: :fail: :fail: :fail: :fail:

Aluminum Falcon - start with Faith No More. My favorite band of all time. I will zap you some uploads when i get a chance, but it should actually be REALLY simple to find a torrent or link. I would go Mr. Bungle next, and then Fantomas directors cut. If you like all of that, then there is a world of other Mike Patton shit to dive into. FNM first though.
thanks man, I'm on it. I have a friend who is big into patton(nh) so Ive always known of his music and his involvement in everything from videogames to soundtracks.Mr. Bungle was a little too spastic back then for me but I think I can appreciate it more now. mondo cane is pretty crazy but its growing on me.

DLG

Post by DLG »

heard mondo cane playing in a swanky cafe yesterday afternoon and was all :naswtf:

DLG

Post by DLG »

hung out with Trey Spruance all day yesterday, what an amazing dude.

So many hilariously random and interesting anecdotes about Mr. Bungle albums and King for a Day, plus tons of other stuff.

he is really humble and hang out all day and night with us, drinking in a park and talking about shit.

You can tell Mike is still dear to him since they played together since they were teenagers, but he doesn't really like talking about their relationship. Some bridges were probably burned after King for a Day.

Toby Driver from Kayo Dot was playing bass in Secret Chiefs 3 and Timba Harris from Estradasphere was playing violin so it was really amazing to be hanging out with three people who have completely separately from one another released albums that have changed your total perception of music at one point in time.

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

wow that's sick. what is the story behind the king for a day drama? he didn't want to tour or something? i've seen a few incarnations of SCIII and all have been religious experiences.

was this over in borklandia?

DLG

Post by DLG »

yeah it was especially important to him because he is a converted Eastern Orthodox Christian, so being in Serbia was pretty big for him.

As he said, the whole session was a little hellish because everyone in the band was coming to him individually and giving their opinions on what the guitar work should sound like and most of the ideas were completely conflicting.

Plus he said it was really dark between everyone personally, i think the best sentence he said was "some of them were hanging out with stock brokers for christ's sake"

He said that in the end, all he really got from the band members was what they did not want the guitar to sound like, they didn't want it as rigid and metal sounding as jim, more fluid, more punk rock, and they gave him a lot of space.

He also said that he had finished the album and didn't sign anything yet or get any money, and they were telling him stuff like he has to get a 4,000 dollar les paul, which they will pay for but later take out of his paycheck, weird shit like that, and he was all, "why can't I play my roommate's epiphone, it sounds pretty awesome."

In the end there was really no official reasons why he didn't tour, he just kinda said that the situation within the band was dark and it didn't feel like it would be fun.

But the story of their official statement is funny. He's living on the west coast and his friend calls him up and tells him to buy the latest NME. SO Trey bums money from a friend for a cheap burrito, buys the burrito and goes to read the magazine in the record store and it's FNM saying that he is lazy and doesn't want to tour with them because he is the heir to the Dupont fortune and doesn't really like working and touring because he doesn't need to.

His grandfather was the VP of Dupont, but his grandfather and his father never spoke and he didn't even see a picture of his grandfather, much less any money from him, but it was really funny to him that he can't even buy a burrito and there are now thousands of people who think he is a high society snob playing squash instead of touring with FNM because he can.

He said that it was all tongue in cheek and they laughed about it later though, it was more of a joke than them being spiteful and wanting to say negative things about him, which makes the most sense after you've heard all the stories about the Bungle recording sessions.

Also he said that Billy Gould was responsible for all the best songs and that if Patton's ideas were often too weird and didn't fit in with what the band was about, and really praising Billy for being the creative force in the band that wrote all the songs that he can still listen to today.

And also, of all the sampling stuff on the first Mr Bungle album, the only thing they got sued for was the farting noise, which was owned by two dudes from phili who trey said "deserved every penny they got."

he also said that John Travolta never contacted them or threatened them, rather that Warner Brothers took the initiative.

It's quite scary that WB, this huge huge media beast was pretty much on some "you see through that window? that's the scientology skyscraper, and their lawyers will eat us alive if they want to, change the name of the song before it's too late."

and then travolta became "quote unquote"

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

has anyone made/started making the comprehensive patton/fnm/bungle/scIII/etc documentary that the world clearly needs?

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

trey is a good dude. i havent talked to him as much as trevor, but he was always super nice to me at shows.

the faith no more guitarist saga is so ridiculous.
dean menta ended up touring with them and taking over after trey (i'd heard that he was down to record for the album but didnt want to tour, but i never really knew why), and dean was decent i guess. jon hudson is the most boring dude ever, and he's touring with the reincarnated FNM because he was their last guitarist, but fuck that, it should be jim. i dont care about any clashing personalities or artistic differences bullshit, jim martin was by far the best guitarist and he had ton of presence and personality, and they never sounded the same after he left. his guitar sound was pretty much the reason i love that band.

DLG

Post by DLG »

pretty sure Jim has a pumpkin farm now and doesn't really care about playing.

I agree that Jim's sound was the defining characteristic of FNM and he is an icon, but I think the guitar work on Fool For A Day is easily the best, most cohesive and interesting in the band's career.

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

thats because you're a trey fanboy ;)

DLG

Post by DLG »

probably :lol: always liked Bungle more than FNM too.

but realistically, Jim's style is fairly limited to a metal/rock style. Trey is really a student of the guitar and music, which is evident in how complex the arrangements were in bungle and especially now in secret chiefs 3, the really herky jerky eastern influenced oddtime stuff that you can never fully bob your head to.

but he's not all wankery, there's stuff like this which is really beautiful and melodic, tons of dark psychedelia and really crazy stuff they unfortunately don't play live.

this song gets me pretty erect.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cafWsO7sEp4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cafWsO7sEp4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jt856_nRxQk&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jt856_nRxQk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Fucking crazy.

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

that doesnt even come close to the amazing stuff he can do.
tomahawk is pretty pop rock compared to most of the stuff he does.

not that i dont enjoy tomahawk, but if that was the only thing i'd seen from him i probably wouldnt get the hype.

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

this is the kinda mind blowing stuff he does that has made me a hardcore fangirl for the last 15+ years.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N5WA1p12-hk&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N5WA1p12-hk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

his voice is inhuman. so incredible.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UTTYivjVo0c&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UTTYivjVo0c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

been playing this record a lot lately.

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

malpractice wrote:that doesnt even come close to the amazing stuff he can do.
tomahawk is pretty pop rock compared to most of the stuff he does.

not that i dont enjoy tomahawk, but if that was the only thing i'd seen from him i probably wouldnt get the hype.
Yeah, I have never met anyone who says Tomahawk is their favorite project, and it is not mine, but I do really like it. I may be biased because it is the only band I have seen him play with live.

Don't get me wrong, I do like all his really experimental stuff, but I think I prefer the pop sounding songs more than anything. Faith No More, Tomahawk, Peeping Tom, and some Mr. Bungle.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

malpractice pretty much makes me want to hate one of my top 5 music artists of all time. annoying.

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

naw dude, im just real passionate about the stuff. im 31 years old and have been going to his shows since i was 12, so this is just something that i can say with certainty that i know my shit. and if you think im one of the annoying fans, you were obviously not a member of the CV board back in the day. holy lord.

im excited about the faith no more reunion and all, but it wont truly be a celebration until bungle reunites.
Last edited by malpractice on Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

besides, this is my thread, hater. :)

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

i was kind of a dick though about not wanting to up stuff for people to check out without paying for it. i realize not everyone cares about this shit like i do.

DLG

Post by DLG »

not sure if this a joke or what. seen it on a bunch of forums.

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

oh fuck

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

it's fake. :(

im so crushed.
this would have been a MILLION times better than the fnm reunion. sigh.

Snuggles the DESTROYER

Post by Snuggles the DESTROYER »

In a recent interview over at Consequence of Sound, Kid Koala has confirmed that the next Lovage album, the follow up to 2001′s Music to Make Love to your old Lady by, has been recorded and is only waiting on Jennifer (Charles) and Mike Patton to finish it off:

ג€œThe Lovage music is done for the most part but weג€™re just waiting for Mike and Jennifer to get together and write again. But I had so much fun on that tour. I hope they finish it soon (laughs). Dan the Automator is part of it as well, of course. But I havenג€™t heard any new Peeping Tom stuff yet.ג€
Of course, where it stands on Patton's to-list of around 3274 projects remains to be seen.

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

Snuggles the DESTROYER wrote:Image
In a recent interview over at Consequence of Sound, Kid Koala has confirmed that the next Lovage album, the follow up to 2001′s Music to Make Love to your old Lady by, has been recorded and is only waiting on Jennifer (Charles) and Mike Patton to finish it off:

ג€œThe Lovage music is done for the most part but weג€™re just waiting for Mike and Jennifer to get together and write again. But I had so much fun on that tour. I hope they finish it soon (laughs). Dan the Automator is part of it as well, of course. But I havenג€™t heard any new Peeping Tom stuff yet.ג€
Of course, where it stands on Patton's to-list of around 3274 projects remains to be seen.
so, about 5 years from now? heh