Concert I Just Went To Thread

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

perabigail

Re: Concert I Just Went To Thread

Post by perabigail »

darkwingduck wrote:caught QUICKSAND's reunion tour. Shit!!! :rockout:
WHAT? how the fuck did i not know about this??

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

saw Bad Religion at Terminal 5 a few weeks back. Had a great fucking time. They played mostly older stuff which was good.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

perabigail wrote:
darkwingduck wrote:caught QUICKSAND's reunion tour. Shit!!! :rockout:
WHAT? how the fuck did i not know about this??

im using this app called SONGKICK for iphone. put in a list of bands you want to follow, if they are playing at an event near you, you get notified. The app is hit-or-miss however. Often times, I am finding out about it from other sources before it even notifies me. Liking the bands on Face Book is helpful too.

DLG

Post by DLG »

saw Cult of Luna in budapest. JESUS.

easily one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I've always liked them better than Isis, seeing them live cements it for me.

they have three guitars, bass, a keyboard player with a dirty sounding old moog and two drummers.

when all of them lock in on a man riff during a song climax I swear it's the heaviest shit ever. it's like you cranked your CD player all of a sudden from 6 to 10.

And the lighting is amazing, they carry their own on tour. lights all coming from the back which makes them look like featureless sillouettes on stage.

too bad they don't play the US much, because it's a sight to behold.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

went to the second weekend of jazz fest, saw a shitload of great bands, of those widely known i'll begrudgingly admit frank ocean was kinda aight, hall & oates murrdered (tho three encore breaks in a 1 1/2 hr set, c'mon drryl), but fleetwood mac, oh my oh my. only caught about the last eight songs from a decent vantage, but they were outrageous. heard a bunch more while walking around and while positioning to that decent vantage, and they sounded sweet, but once up there shit killed so hard. want to see the full arena show very very badly now. spent the majority of time at the folk/country stage, twas the fave, thus had to jostle for position when not there
moved by duck muscles

wheels

Post by wheels »

P-more at the Chicago Theater, dudes. Was an awkward, wonderful, energetic experience.

They'll be bigger than Green Day in 10 years

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

think they'd be tons o fun to see live. they're in that t-swift camp of peoples i love but don't know if i could ever actually go to the show,
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

they're fucking far down the orchard from the t-swift camp tho, i feel it necessary to state
moved by duck muscles

wheels

Post by wheels »

I'll say this-

As a 31 year old male, my main interest in this band is Williams, I think her talent is enough for me to get over whatever issues I have with the type of music they make. (Moreso with the first two records, Brand New Eyes is just a great album and this new one is better.)

Rolling to this thing solo was an awkward experience on so many levels. There were a lot of people in the early twenties who were clearly fans of the band but also the genre, talking about stuff like New Found Glory, Cute is what we aim for, etc. Stuff I don't give a shit about for the most part.

Next major demographic was teenagers and their parental chaperones, (some of whom tried to connect with me on some 'what are we doing here type shit' before realizing I'm a huge fan of this band) which is always a weird demo to try and get properly drunk around. I was just glad I wasn't on real drugs for this.

But the show is fucking great. It's high energy, big lights, and conspicuously big sound for two guitars and a drummer. I think they piped in some stuff for songs like Misery Business and the other big shit. It's choreographed, there's confetti cannons, and it's always nice to be among such a rabid fanbase. It's like the last time I went and saw @mosphere with jello. These younger crowds really amp it up.

I could spit to the stage. I was in a venue where you had assigned seats, I'm not sure I'd want to try and mosh through the kiddies to get the close-up experience. And that was a big deal. She's engaging, there's a lot of attention to crowd work, and their setup is impressive. They also give Hay-hay little podiums and shit to stand on because she's a midge.

And I had backstage for pre-show, so I got to shake the guitar dudes hands and high five the shit out of her while I got my drink on.

Their fans will continue to be young as shit, even when they're all in their 30s. So the time to go is now, I'd say. Go to a venue with seats, and pay your 75 or whatever it is to sit first 10 rows. It's worth it.

I saw their Euro tour dates, they're playing fucking Wembley.

how sad were you on a scale of 1 - 10 when My Chemical Romance broke up?

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

wheels wrote:I saw their Euro tour dates, they're playing fucking Wembley.
bonkers. sounds a blast, man
moved by duck muscles

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

I saw a whole lot of bands at SXSW, and I've been sort of laying low since. Last band I saw after that was Angry Samoans, and that was fun.

My next show will be a trip to Austin solely to see Antwon and Lil Ugly Mane perform.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

EARL w/ TYLER. holy shit. seen these guys a bunch of times but never with EARL. show was amazing! ive kinda gotten used to being one of the old ass peoples in the OF crowd.

wheels

Post by wheels »

went and saw Caroline Smith and the goodnight sleeps. This got played:

But also this:

Not hard to figure this chick is going to be big.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Bjork = MIND BLOWN

DLG

Post by DLG »

saw slayer last week. it was cool, but their obviously old as fuck.

holt is still a great fill in for jeff, tom barely moves, probably due to all his back problems, and it's good that bostaph was replacing lombardo instead of that other dude.

still got nice and drunk and saw people I haven't seen in years.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

mt goats - thumbs up! skipped their last two albums which i guess is mostly what they played cause i only knew like three songs all night. still good tho!
moved by duck muscles

DLG

Post by DLG »

^one of my fav bands. faggots never come to europe though :(

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

bumma. seeing them was a long time coming, well enjoyed
moved by duck muscles

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

So i'm going to the Lowlands festival in the Netherlands next month, tons of bands i've never heard of.
If anyone wants to give me some recommendations I'd be very appreciative
Here's the band list:
http://lowlands.nl/programma/

So far only definites are:
Kendrick Lamar
The Knife
Nine Inch Nails
Tame Impala
Polica
do some molly and do Major Lazer/Noisia/Nero
maybe Slayer if I'm feeling frisky

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Sweet, check out Mikal Cronin if you can, dude put out a great album this year in MCII. My brother is going to Amsterdam with my parents later this year (I can't afford it), and getting tickets to see Dinosaur Jr. and My Bloody Valentine on back to back nights.
Last edited by unclebengi on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

mount kimbies cool. can't speak for them live, but i dig the toons
moved by duck muscles

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

thanks dudes
downloading both records now to familiarize myself
:leon:

Homer Simpson

Post by Homer Simpson »

Tommy- if (and it looks like a pretty big if,lol) you like roots/americana/folk type music definately check out Pokey LaFarge (americana),Larry & His Flask (punk-bluegrass) and Seasick Steve (piedmont blues). Micheal Kiwanuka (soul) also is great chill music...

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I like pretty much everything and I'll have a lot of time to check out random stuff so open to all recommendations.
Definitely digging the hell out of Seasick Steve though. Thanks man.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Saw Kurt Vile tonight...amazing show. Saw him at Pitchfork a couple years ago and couldn't wait to see him at a smaller venue. Played Freak Train, Baby's Arms, KV Crimes, Peeping Tom, Lord of the Flies, Wakin on a Pretty Day, Shame Chamber, and Ghost Town...basically everything I wanted to hear played perfectly. Best show I've seen since the last time I saw Built to Spill.

wheels

Post by wheels »

darkwingduck wrote:Image

Bjork = MIND BLOWN
I saw her at pitchfork a couple weeks ago, damn near lost my mind. I thought it was all downhill from there but R. Kelly came out on Sunday and just destroyed.

Lolla so far:

Jessie Ware
Imagine Dragons (they really really really suck)
Lana Del Rey
Ellie Goulding (killed it)
The Lumineers (suck balls)
Kendrick Lamar
Mumford and Sons

and

Salt N Pepa. Salt got a little fat, Pep is still killing it, and Spinderella was nowhere to be found. Saw them at the Hard Rock afterparty, and I've never seen so many people go nuts for a band that stopped being relevant before they were born.

Jessie Ware also did 3 songs in the middle of the day at the pre-party, and she's something special. Really great performance.

Got Tegan & Sara, Alt J, DIIV, and the Cure today. Might get weird at Major Lazer

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

love jessie w
went to newport folk fest last weekend, it was like
shovels & rope (seen them a few times before in crowds of 20-200, seeing a few thou wild out to them was great. killed it & hopefully big things to come)
jason isbell (best dude. dude live is best)
lord huron (liked a few songs a whole heck of a lot. can't say i'm all that familiar tho)
beck (good to see dude. haven't really listened since guero ((which i fucking love love love), but he kept playing songs off the sheet music album book thing and i thought if studio versions of these songs exist i would gladly listen to them again. haven't checked yet)
andrew bird (no fake palindromes = ;( really the only time all weekend i said i have to hear one song in particular played and he didn't ;(
avett bros (dudes are probably too big for their own good now. NC dudes who climbed the ranks tho, can't hate)
bonnie prince (second time in a row seeing him that was pretty much a complete and total snooze)
justin townes earle (dude was on that ayoayeayeaysomething. was really out of it but the songs were good)
bunch more but those were the standouts
got rightfully snooty and made it a point to miss the lumineers, barely anyone was watching andrew bird as that was going on. that one dude looks like worm
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

& don't know how much i'll listen to them now after the fact, but i left out spirit family reunion, who were a gas
moved by duck muscles

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Saw FUCKED UP twice last week. Once in Oakland and then in SF.

most EPIC band LIVE ever. no shit!

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

High on Fire, Kvelertak, and Doomriders at Webster Hall last night.

Kvelertak were probably the most fun I've ever had watching a band play. Dudes have so much energy onstage.