Death In June

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

ALASKA

Death In June

Post by ALASKA »

So I was out at a neighbors place last night and he was playing this band death by june, some post punk/neo folk steez. We got to talking, I thought the music was pretty interesting, and then he told me that they are often accused of being nazis and facists. I did some online searches to see whats what, and it all seems pretty vague. anyone familiar with these guys and can you break down the reel deelz with them?

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

i am a big fan and own a death in june tshirt which pretty much no one has ever recognized when i wear it. heh.

i kinda doubt they are nazis, but ive heard the fascism thing. dont really know.

my fave death in june track is "heaven street". good stuff.

i got into them after reading some stuff about boyd rice. THAT guy is fucked.

SeanieCameras

Post by SeanieCameras »

Can you up, something?

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

sure hang on

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

i dont think these files are organized really, but here's some stuff.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EAT1GLCC

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

i downloaded all pigs must die and didnt like it so much. recommend me one i would like.

nickwoj

Post by nickwoj »

all pigs must die is definitely their most accessible record(and my fav), so if you don't like that one you probably aren't going to be able to get into them. i would also suggest "the world that summer", "rose clouds of holocaust", or "brown book".

i got a couple tee's. wore one throughout a euro tour years ago but didn't wear it in germany much because people are really up tight about that kind of thing. a friend of mine recently wore a dij tee while touring in germany and did in fact get called a facist/nazi/etc.

other related bands to peep are current 93, of wand and moon and sol invictus. there's way more, but those are the main ones that come to mind. oh, also nature and organization. that record is sick.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

this guy is a BIG fan

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pRWrFOdImsM?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pRWrFOdImsM?fs ... rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

not a fan of himself tho

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wH1tTlq5-Qk?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wH1tTlq5-Qk?fs ... rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

omg the glasses tattoo. :rofl:

Fuckin' A

Post by Fuckin' A »

But, What Ends When the Symbols Shatter? and Rose Clouds of Holocaust are probably my favorite Death in June albums. I already had Symbols Shatter uploaded to my blog in v0, so I'll add it here for you guys to check out:

Code: Select all

http://www.mediafire.com/?bb0awo4cb46ogyb
I have 9 or 10 of their albums in FLAC so I'll try to add a couple more if you guys enjoy that one.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

i downloaded rose color holocaust, that is the one my boy was playing and it was kinda fresh. gonna give it a listen tonight.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

no idea who this group is but the thread title reminded me of the band death in vegas. that is all

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

no shit. this is dope...

young god

Post by young god »

Huge Death In June fan. Mal, what shirt do you have?I have the mask shirt, and it's probably the sickest t shirt I've ever owned, and only one person has ever recognized it. I saw them live in SF and they killed it. Had a guy playing a floor drum with big ass mallets. I sampled "Rose Clouds of Holocaust," on the album we did with Holocaust, haha.

There's always been vague accusations of them (really only one guy, Douglas P) being fascist/nazi sympathizers. It really starts and ends with a bit of an obessesion with nazi imagery and WWII references, but Douglas P isn't a nazi, though he is a :roper:. He's probably not the only homo with a weird nazi fetish, if that's what it is.

For anyone just getting into DIJ, I highly suggest finding the Discriminate double CD. It's a compilation of songs (there best songs IMO). The whole neo- apocalyptic folk movement could probably best be traced back to a late 70's British hardcore punk band, Crisis. They were at the forefront of the political side of the punk movement, with some pretty catchy songs and surprisingly poetic lyrics. Two members of the band (Tony Wakeford, and Douglas P) would later go on to form DIJ in the 80's, starting the weird gothic neo folk post punk sound, along with a couple of other notable acts. Tony wakeford broke off from DIJ and formed Sol Invictus, which for anyone who's feeling DIJ, should DEFINITELY check out Sol Invictus. A lot of it is very orchestral and very medieval sounding. The weird thing is that Crisis started out as a far left leaning band, and then gradually it seemed they became more fascist or at least they romanticed fascist imagery.

other bands to check: current93, Le'Orchestra Noir (tony wakefords other project), Fire + Ice, Boyd Rice

Machiventa

Post by Machiventa »

anyone know the song that starts at 0:05 in that first vid?

and that tattoo is gay as fuck. what a retard.