White Denim- D

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

unclebengi

White Denim- D

Post by unclebengi »

I don't know if everyone caught the vid that ALASKA posted in his recent thread, but he just turned me on to this band/album and just like him, I can't stop listening to this shit. For a 2 guitar, one bass, one drummer setup they have a huge and varied sound. Alaska mentioned Grateful Dead and the Allman Bros which is totally on point...I'd throw in some Santana some Zappa and maybe something more modern like the Raconteurs and you have an idea of their sound.

Here's a couple of live performances off of D, 2nd vid is a 7 min instrumental freakout.-

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0VNKAuRNjRc?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0VNKAuRNjRc?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JKMIDHUwHmM?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JKMIDHUwHmM?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

edit- Just found out they're playing here in Indy on my birthday June 29th...consider me cised!!!

deepfriedjellol

Post by deepfriedjellol »

def in my top 5 of the year so far

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

my top of the year so far.

wheels

Post by wheels »

Forgot to answer your question but yes, I spun this a few times and the Allman comparison is dead on. Great record

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Great review, cannot wait to see these guys live, they're playing at a tiny bar that I didn't even know hosted live music. River to Consider is my cut right now, but that changes almost daily. I'd like to see a lyric sheet, can't make everything out now, but I like the lyrics that I can.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Just saw them in Indy last night...couldn't have been more than a few hundred people and I was front and center. Couldn't really hear the vocals, but other than that, the show was sick. Some of the older songs that I wasn't very familiar with were great live. Got to meet all the band members and talked to Austin (the 2nd guitarist) for about 20 minutes...even mentioned SYFFAL and he knew exactly what I was talking about. I like their earlier albums, but I think Austin really takes them to the next level, he's got real chops and I hope he'll expand his role even more in the future.

All the guys were down to earth and cool as fuck, Austin even bought me and the wife a beer. Wish I could get up to Chi-town tonight to see them again, but I gotta work Saturday morning. If you're in the Chi or anywhere else they're coming to, check them out, you won't be disappointed.

deepfriedjellol

im pissed im not going tonite, but they will remain one of the best bands in the world foreverz

bengi, do you go to shows very often?
can you pm me right quick?

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

They dropped a new EP, Takes Place In Your Workspace-

It's only 4 songs, but I really like it...especially No Real Reason, which is one of the best sounding tracks they've made. I don't love James's lyrics, but that's about the only thing I don't love about this band.

You can listen to a song off of it, Cat City, at- http://doggoneblog.com/2011/10/18/white ... -space-ep/

deepfriedjellol

november 7th in chicago @ hob
would be the best birthday gifty everz

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I'd love to make it up to the Chi for that show, but on a Monday night it ain't happenin'.

deepfriedjellol

i hear you, but lately, if i do a show on a weekend, im exhausted around the kids and that sucks
this way, im just tired at work

fuck work

can you pm me a link to this 4tracker?

unclebengi

Re: White Denim- D

Post by unclebengi »

1. "At Night in Dreams"
2. "Corsicana Lemonade"
3. "Limited By Stature"
4. "New Blue Feeling"
5. "Come Back"
6. "Distant Relative Salute"
7. "Let It Feel Good (My Eagles)"
8. "Pretty Green"
9. "Cheer Up / Blues Ending"
10. "A Place to Start"

Kurt Vile's album was great, but this new White Denim album is the rock album I've been waiting for this year. Greatness from start to finish and a natural progression from D.