Jazz: the Odyssey

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Re: Jazz: the Odyssey

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

speaking of newer jazz I absolutely love Build An Ark. Carlos Nino can't really do no wrong imo be it hip hop / instrumental as ammon contact or his projects a s a producer with other musicians.
Build an Ark is his jazz project together with Dwight Trible and an array of as far as i know ever changing musicians.
it's a very spiritual album reminiscent of the classic albums on the Black Jazz label

im listening to those two albums a lot recently, both on blue note
Bud Powell - the amazing vol. II

Charlie Rouse - Bossa Nova Bacchanal
found a working link by looking for the cover, not my rip so i dont know about quality
http://www.mediafire.com/?ojg79ludxph2yr9

latin influence3d and straight latin jazz aswell as bossa nova would merit their own threads but i fear they could die out too soon and this seems to be going so well so elts keep it in here

MistaTurk

Post by MistaTurk »

great thread guys. keep em coming...
it's a cold world betta pack your own heat

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

gallax wrote:
Bill Evans is my Jesus.
Then do tell which of his albums you like most, at least for the moment. Sheesh!
Don't mean to push, but I mean business about making this odyssey a productive one....
its really hard to go wrong with bill evans ever...but id be lying if i said i dont have favs.

id say these are classic essentials.
Explorations
Sunday At The Village Vanguard
From Left to Right (plays the fender rhodes with one hand, acoustic piano with the other)

2nd tier
Waltz For Debby
Conversations with Myself (solo, as the title would indicate)
Bill Evans at Town Hall
You Must Believe In Spring
Affinity (has some recognizable samples)

3rd tier
Interplay
Symbiosis (pretty experimental. 70s. electronic)

and thats just what i know...there's lots I don't. Still finding more shit all the time. just do a youtube search of Bill Evans and find amazing shit like this:

he has a "movie" on netflix too. not sure if its the same performance or something in paris....whatever it is, its also sick.
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

gallax

Post by gallax »

Thanks for following up. Bill Evans is amazing. Two of the three classics you mentioned (From Left to Right, Sunday At the Village Vanguard) have been on steady rotation for a couple of years now (especially love Lullaby for Helene). Explorations has just been downed
and is up next! Many thanks.

Will check out your other recommendations as well, but I try not to overdose on a single artist. I feel like Evans can get a bit corny after a while. Mood music to the fullest....
Bud Powell - The Amazing Bud Powell II is up after.

Btw, Nardwuar always delivers the goods, but his interview with Flying Lotus had some surprising twists that makes it suitable for this 'ere Odyssey. To clue you in: he's a great-nephew of Alice Coltrane, and his granny was a dope smoker and songwriter for Diana Ross etc. etc. :bow: :

donald goines

Post by donald goines »

Recently I've been on a Pepper Adams kick and I've been listening to one album in particular called the Adams Effect. I think it was Pepper's final album before his death. This song isn't anything spectacular but I love the way baritone and tenor saxes sound next to each other. Its Tommy Flanagan on piano, Ron Carter on bass, Frank Foster on tenor, Pepper Adams on baritone, and Billy Hart on drums.

I'm sure some of you have heard about Mingus punching Jimmy Knepper in the mouth and fucking up his embouchure. Have any of you heard the story about Mingus sending heroin to Jimmy Knepper's residence and the dropping a dime to narcs?

Also do any of you understand the technical aspects of jazz? I was reading some Nat Hentoff liner notes earlier this evening and I had no idea what he was talking about. I've listened to jazz for years but recently I've wanted to know more about some of technical aspects. I can't tell the difference between a minor chord or a major chord. Chord progressions, octaves, keys I don't know none of that shit. I figured if I had my hands on a instrument I might be able to put some of it together on my own. I texted my mom last week about my old alto sax from middle school and unfortunately she gave it away.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

re Mingus: i have never heqard that story. the only private thing i remember having read about him is that he trained his cat to use the toilet

re technical aspects: im not an expert by any means but will try to explain something very basic. you can go to wikipedia for all of this way better than i do aswell.

all the things you mentioned are basic musical definitions coming from European classical music not Jazz per se and i think it's also an importantr aspect of Jazz that especially in it's early ages there were a lot of self taught musicians who couldn't write or read sheet music.
a chord is when you play 3 or more notes at the same time chord progression is morphing from one into another. this is something that evry musician does. but there are two simple reasons that can make them interesting; depending on the instrument one plays it can be technically difficult to change quickly from one chord to the other.
the other fact is there are chord progressions that sound more "natural" to us (this depends alot on culture aswell, thats why i said european classical music, you don't need to be a musical expert to say something sounds eg. indian, or japanese its because they use a different tune and chord system) so chord progressions can also be interesting just because they sound "newer" to our ears.
you don't need any of this to enjoy music but of course it helps you to determine wether or not a musician is skilled and innovative but i think if you over analyze stuff you take alot of the enjoyment out

fortuna

Post by fortuna »

Just picked this up @ the local recordshop

great stuff, includes Afreaka

donald goines

Post by donald goines »

I've been listening to Lee Morgan recently via Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. Lee Morgan's Search For a New Land is one of my favorite albums. I need to know which of his albums are worthwhile and which ones are simply Sidewinder derivatives. Besides the one mentioned do you have any recommendations?

gallax

Post by gallax »

Nice find on The Sixth Sense. I've had a period where I listened a lot to Morgan, but I can't say that I like a lot of his albums. But the one below has gotten steady rotation for months now:

Lee Morgan - the Procrastinator
Tracklist

01. The Procastinator
02. Party Time
03. Dear Sir
04. Stopstart
05. Rio
06. Soft Touch

fortuna

Post by fortuna »

Yup really happy to find that 1, couldn't advise you on any other LM album, but I will investigate!

gallax

Post by gallax »

Sure as hell am not prepared to let this thread slip off the first page.
On with the odyssey.

Was listening to this earlier tonight, and thought it deserved a spot among the favorites.

Return to Forever - Where Have I Known You Before (1971)

Tracklisting:
1. "Vulcan Worlds" (Clarke) – 7:51
2. "Where Have I Loved You Before" (Corea) – 1:02
3. "The Shadow of Lo" (White) – 7:32
4. "Where Have I Danced with You Before" (Corea) – 1:14
5. "Beyond the Seventh Galaxy" (Corea) – 3:13
6. "Earth Juice" (Corea, Clarke, White, Di Meola) – 3:46
7. "Where Have I Known You Before" (Corea) – 2:20
8. "Song to the Pharaoh Kings" (Corea)* – 14:21

Return to forever was founded in 1971 by Chick Corea, and went to perform in various lineups throughout its 7 odd year existence. Musically, they can be compared to Weather Report and Mahavishnu Orchestra. They are a bit more uptempo and funky than the former, and are generally easier on the ear than the latter.
Where Have I Known You Before is their fourth studio album, and is a solid listen all throughout. Some songs are a little bit more pop-oriented, but solos like Song to the Pharoah Kings and Vulcan Worlds more than compensate for that.

Trivia 1: If anyone ever heard Atlantis Sessions & The Deadly Art Of All Day Brainstorming: they sampled off Song to the Pharoah Kings (last one on the album), which is also the best track, in my humble opinion.
Trivia 2: According to Wikipedia, Return to Forever have started touring again in 2011, with Frank Zappa's son Dweezil as the opening act.
Trivia 3: You can find this LP dirt cheap in most record stores.

I upped this myself, but found it somewhere on the interwebs back in the days.
Enjoy!

fortuna

Post by fortuna »

Anybody checked the Christian Scott album I mentioned here?

Pronay

Post by Pronay »

gallax wrote:Return to Forever - Where Have I Known You Before (1971)
:cheers: this is fantastic

fortuna

Post by fortuna »

Bought

loved it, any tips on further HS albums?

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

fortuna wrote:Bought

great album. I have always wondered if Steely Dan ripped off the opening of the title song for ricky dont lose that number. it really feels like they did.

fortuna

Post by fortuna »

A jazz standard, "Song for My Father" is here in its original form.The song has had a noticeable impact in pop music. The opening bass piano notes were borrowed by Steely Dan for their song "Rikki Don't Lose That Number", while the opening horn riff was borrowed by Stevie Wonder for his song "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing". Earth Wind & Fire also borrowed the opening bass notes for their song Clover.

sez Wikipedia
never got that although I love all of those songs

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

fortuna wrote:
A jazz standard, "Song for My Father" is here in its original form.The song has had a noticeable impact in pop music. The opening bass piano notes were borrowed by Steely Dan for their song "Rikki Don't Lose That Number", while the opening horn riff was borrowed by Stevie Wonder for his song "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing". Earth Wind & Fire also borrowed the opening bass notes for their song Clover.

sez Wikipedia
never got that although I love all of those songs
ahhha

interesting that steely dan would have the nerve to sue rappers for sampling. i guess donald fagan really is a dick.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

fortuna wrote:Bought

and the jazz messengers and 6 pieces of silver are essential i guess.
i really love his psychedelic era recordings the total response, all & healin feelin' album trilogy. i have a really good later album silver n percussion

gallax

Post by gallax »

Next stop: Joe Pass.
If you want to know more about this jazz guitar player, read up on him here.
http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/10- ... -pass/4296
Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath is a big fan of his (you'll hear that if you listen to Planet Caravan).

Virtuoso is the first in a series of four albums full of solos that Pass recorded between '72 and '77. Perfect stuff for cold winter nights at home. If you like Django Reinhardt, don't miss out on this guy.

Joe Pass - Virtuoso (1974)

Tracklist:
1. Night And Day
2. Stella By Starlight
3. Here's That Rainy Day
4. My Old Flame
5. How High The Moon
6. Cherokee
7. Sweet Lorraine
8. Have You Met Miss Jones
9. 'round Midnight
10. All The Things You Are
11. Blues For Alican
12. The Song Is You

Huldrich Bullsh!t

if you want vocals these are two of the best dollar bin records out there imo

this is a beautiful album by McCoy Tyner. i dont know a lot of his work outside of the John Coltrane Quartet but i really like this album

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I fuck with McCoy Tyner big time. I have a lot of his albums. That one is a good one Hud.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

just read that Donald Byrd has died one of those days

RIP

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

this is ill as fuck

i found about it thru this guys sick ass radio show. i urge all jazz fans to peep.
http://www.offlimitsradio.com/
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße