Great TV performances

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Great TV performances

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Mark Morrison doing Return Of The Mack at the Brit Awards. Probably the G.O.A.T TV performance due to the stripping female bobbies, Mark's Only God Can Judge Me/Not Guilty black turtleneck, and his pure waviness when he stagedives backwards and tosses his mic from his left hand to his right one as he's crowdsurfing :

Elton John doing Bennie And The Jets on Soul Train. First peckerwood to ever appear on the Train ahead of David Bowie. A tour-de-performance with Elton decked out in a proto-Leprechaun In The 'Hood outfit as he plays a plexi-glass piano :

James Brown's medley of Get On The Good Foot, Soul Power and Make It Funky on Soul Train. I'm convinced James was a trannie because no dude could pull those drop scissor-splits without serious testicular injuries :

Nirvana pulling an okie-doke on UK TV and doing Territorial Pissings when they'd been scheduled to do Lithium :

The Afronaut

Re: Great TV performances

Post by The Afronaut »

Ive posted this in Rubin before, but I love this shit.

Al Green On Soul Train performing "Here I Am" ... he'd apparently hurt his wrist when a fan wouldnt let go of him a couple nights previous. He takes Soul Train to church on this one.

:bow:

On the topic of Al, his acoustic performance of Simply Beautiful on VH1 from 2004 was pretty damn incredible too :

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

MJ on the Motown 25 concert, debuting the moonwalk for the first time

Nirvana also had that great performance on MTV where they wouldn't let him play Rape Me, so he sang the beginning of it anyways before going into Lithium and Kris tries to throw up his bass and catch it and fucks up his face

And this probably doesn't count since it was a tv concert but the Unplugged cover of Lead Belly's Where Did You Sleep Last Night gives me chills every time
Last edited by Tommy Bunz on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Ive peeped that Simply Beautiful before too. Its pretty damn great.

@Bunz Mikes moves were so fucking crisp at that point in time. From about the "Dancing Machine" era til about "Dangerous" his dancing was too too dope.

Of course there's also a lot of nostalgia with that particular moment. Rumor has it that after seeing it on TV Fred Astaire asked to have a video of that performance (this was in the pre VCR days) and played it over and over again and called personally Mike to tell him how impressed he was.

Also that "bass to the face" moment gets me every time. And I love that Leadbelly cover.

Ive posted this before too...but its too good to not post again

Tom Petty, Dhani Harrison, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne & Prince performing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" in honor of George Harrison being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Skip to about 3:27 to see Prince MURDER this shit.

wizeguy

Post by wizeguy »

Prince gave an awesome performance at the super bowl couple years back, though the sound was little fucked due to rain.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

just found this one, Latimore doing 'Let's Straighten It out'

not sure if it was televised, but the editing of the video would suggest so

either way, incredible
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

every single puffy and/or mase tv performance from the late 90s.

alpha

Post by alpha »

great post Tommy :cheers:

The Rapping Coffin wrote:every single puffy and/or mase tv performance from the late 90s.
For the uninitiated, Puffy stuntin' on a conveyor belt as Nas does Hate Me Now in 1999 :

Puff & Ma$e doing Been Around The World and Mo' Money, Mo' Problems on Rosie O'Donnel in 1998. Rosie's audience of soccer moms and Earl Hindman lookalikes getting jiggy and Ma$e's dancing >>>>>>>>>> Elvis' TV debut in 1956 :

Other faves :

Zapp & Roger showin' they asses on BET in 1989 :

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion doing Afro on UK TV in the mid 90s.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

nirvana shit was boss..thanks

also lol @ rogers helmet. so dope
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

my fav

the whole thing.
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

Metallica doing their only good song to a trillion ratchet commies in Moscow at the Monsters Of Rock festival in 1991. In soviet Russia, head bangs you! :

Why did Drizzle move to the U.S when this is how his peoples party?

If this was filmed in 2013 it'd just consist of everyone standing there with their phones in the air.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Maze Before I Let You Go Frankie moidas this one. dont listen to it with earphones, the sounds all fucked that way.

teh infamous Prince/Jacko/JB telathon where the coked up purple man makes a show of both and thinks a prop streetlamp will support him.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

the soldiers sitting on shoulders and waving soulja rags round @ 2:20 on the Metallica clips a beautiful symbolic embrace of filthy capitalist western tryanny

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Paul Shane's You've Lost That Loving Feeling on Pebble Mill. Sadly, the only decent vid of this performance on Youtube is a patchwork edit:

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

@ Larry

I've seen that James/Mike/Prince clip (so great) before but never knew the backstory...whats the telethon for? Was Prince really coked up (I'd always heard he never was into drugs)?

Larry2times wrote:the soldiers sitting on shoulders and waving soulja rags round @ 2:20 on the Metallica clips a beautiful symbolic embrace of filthy capitalist western tryanny
I'll bet they were hauled out of the crowd immediately afterwards by the KGB and executed.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

The Afronaut wrote:@ Larry

I've seen that James/Mike/Prince clip (so great) before but never knew the backstory...whats the telethon for? Was Prince really coked up (I'd always heard he never was into drugs)?
well I heard that too but I also heard the effeminate mannerisms/androgyny etc were only a fuck you to mainstream sexual prejudice or whatevz rather than anything to do with him banging dudes, when cmon son hes clearly banged a dude or two before - CHECK OUT MY CHAIN, CHECK OUT MY ANKLET
I believed the drugs one til this clip though, all the signs are there - wiping his nose mid guitar solo in particular. His general feeling himself swag is ott in it, even for Prince too. I think celebs who only occasionally indulge let it be known they dont at all in case the media run with it and ramp it up.

Dunno much of what the story is behind the telethon though, from what I gather Mike was a last minute arrival and secretly brought Prince with him.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Larry2times wrote:well I heard that too but I also heard the effeminate mannerisms/androgyny etc were only a fuck you to mainstream sexual prejudice or whatevz rather than anything to do with him banging dudes, when cmon son hes clearly banged a dude or two before - CHECK OUT MY CHAIN, CHECK OUT MY ANKLET
:lol: Ive always been on the fence (so to speak) about this.
I believed the drugs one til this clip though, all the signs are there - wiping his nose mid guitar solo in particular. His general feeling himself swag is ott in it, even for Prince too.
Hahaha! So true about him for real feeling himself in that clip. Fuckin hilarious. Definitely could be drug influenced as well...but could just be Prince.

Biggest disappointment in the clip...James has his back turned @ around 3:55 when Prince does the mic thing that was probably inspired by James himself.
Dunno much of what the story is behind the telethon though, from what I gather Mike was a last minute arrival and secretly brought Prince with him.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. They came TOGETHER? :ohsh:

TeenageMoustache

Post by TeenageMoustache »

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

SchoolMeOnGodsmack wrote:
The Rapping Coffin wrote:every single puffy and/or mase tv performance from the late 90s.
For the uninitiated, Puffy stuntin' on a conveyor belt as Nas does Hate Me Now in 1999 :

Puff & Ma$e doing Been Around The World and Mo' Money, Mo' Problems on Rosie O'Donnel in 1998. Rosie's audience of soccer moms and Earl Hindman lookalikes getting jiggy and Ma$e's dancing >>>>>>>>>> Elvis' TV debut in 1956 :

Puff's awkward ladder entrance and sloppy boy band dancing >>>>>

Puff creates a Great Gatsby interpretation that would make baz luhrmann drool

OMNI just left a whigga with a hot hat.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

The Afronaut wrote:Whoa, whoa, whoa. They came TOGETHER? :ohsh:
I couldnt even give you a source on this, gleamed it from youtube comments i think.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

fortuna

Post by fortuna »

JB getting upstaged by some funky robot dancing girl

wonder what happened afterwards between those 2??

that Mark Morisson bit is insane btw

donald goines

Post by donald goines »

The Legendary Stardust Cowboy doing Paralyzed and Who's Knocking On My Door? on a 1968 episode of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In :

Noisecore pioneer, imo.