smellin' like a Bonnaroo (isbell)

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

LilLeftBrain

smellin' like a Bonnaroo (isbell)

Post by LilLeftBrain »

http://www.ustream.tv/Bonnaroo

quite a bit of great shit being livestreamed. will likely pop in and out all weekend

Friday, June 14:
4:00 p.m. – Local Natives @ Channel 1
4:00 p.m. – Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit @ Channel 2
5:00 p.m. – Of Monsters and Men @ Channel 1
5:00 p.m. – Calexico @ Channel 2
5:30 p.m. – Grizzly Bear @ Channel 2
6:30 p.m. – Wilco @ Channel 1
6:45 p.m. – Glen Hansard @ Channel 2
7:30 p.m. – Wu-Tang Clan @ Channel 2
8:00 p.m. – Passion Pit @ Channel 1
9:00 p.m. – Paul McCartney (first hour) @ Channel 1
9:00 p.m. – Foals @ Channel 2
10:00 p.m. – Jim James @ Channel 1
10:30 p.m. – The Vaccines @ Channel 2
11:30 p.m. – The xx @ Channel 2
12:00 a.m. – Superjam with RZA, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Schoolboy Q, Earl Sweatshirt, Solange, and Chad Hugo, featuring Lettuce and special guests @ Channel 1

Saturday, June 15:
3:45 p.m. – Lord Huron @ Channel 1
4:00 p.m. – Portugal. The Man @ Channel 2
4:45 p.m. – Nas @ Channel 1
5:15 p.m. – Dirty Projectors @ Channel 2
6:15 p.m. – Four Tet @ Channel 1
6:30 p.m. – Solange @ Channel 2
7:00 p.m. – Beach House @ Channel 2
7:15 p.m. – Matt & Kim @ Channel 1
8:15 p.m. – The Lumineers @ Channel 1
8:30 p.m. – Gov't Mule @ Channel 2
9:30 p.m. – Mumford & Sons @ Channel 1
10:00 p.m. – A-Trak @ Channel 2
11:30 p.m. – Japandroids @ Channel 2
12:30 a.m. – ALO with special guests @ Channel 2

Sunday, June 16:
2:30 p.m. – Delta Rae @ Channel 1
2:45 p.m. – Father John Misty @ Channel 2
3:30 p.m. – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis @ Channel 1
3:45 p.m. – Big K.R.I.T. @ Channel 2
4:30 p.m. – Kendrick Lamar @ Channel 1
5:00 p.m. – Swans @ Channel 2
5:30 p.m. – Allen Stone @ Channel 1
6:30 p.m. – The National @ Channel 1
6:30 p.m. – Tame Impala @ Channel 2
7:45 p.m. – ASAP Rocky @ Channel 2
9:00 p.m. – Divine Fits @ Channel 2
9:30 p.m. – Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros @ Channel 1
Last edited by LilLeftBrain on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Re: smellin' like a Bonnaroo (livestream)

Post by LilLeftBrain »

eh, don't know what's up with that og link.
http://www.heyreverb.com/blog/2013/06/1 ... ore/70812/ has both channels going
bout to watch that isbell
decoration day out the gate. :bow:
moved by duck muscles

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

You check out Isbell's new album yet? Just got it the other day and only one listen in, but it's really good, songwriting is incredible. I saw him live earlier this year too, great show.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

awesome, imma catch him at least once this summer at the newport folk fest, think i'll go ahead and put a plan together to peep him at the raleigh show as well. loved that his bonnaroo set was ~20% his DBT songs. didn't expect so much. (it was just a half hour set and just 2 DBT songs, but still) & yeah new albums something special, been bumping at least on the daily since i got it. elephant, in particular, is like :ohsh: :sad:
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

http://www.heyreverb.com/blog/2013/06/1 ... ore/70916/
didn't really fuck with day one all that much. the full isbell set, about 8 seconds of wu-tang and maybe a half hour of sir paul, but that was it. day two linkage up above. may make it a point to watch the full beach house set but outside of that don't have much interest
moved by duck muscles

fourize

Post by fourize »

Dern it, I had no idea Isbell had a new record. I don't fuck with Boonarroo, but I'll be copping the Isbell this very afternoon.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

dig. was just driving around bumping 'flying over water' w the windows down & a/c on. good vibrations/smooth sensations
moved by duck muscles

fourize

Post by fourize »

Liking this new Isbell a bunch. Elephant and Relatively Easy are real club bangers. Hopefully he'll be touring around the backwoods backwards ass place I call home.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

:rockout: :rockout: tear da club up, danny glover.
moved by duck muscles

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

God damn this Isbell record is fucking outstanding. I've gotta thank LilLeftBrain for turning me on a couple years back or I wouldn't be enjoying this goodness the way that I am. So :cheers: LLB.

"Yvette" is my favorite of the moment- "...your father will never be, so I load up my Weatherby", but "Cover Me Up", "Elephant", "Flying Over Water", "Different Days", "Live Oak", "Songs That She Sang In the Shower", and "Relatively Easy" have all worn the belt at one point or another.

I have several favorite songs from his previous albums and Drive By Truckers cuts, but this is easily his best work and establishes him as one of the best songwriters on the planet IMO. It's one thing just to write your perspective, but he's bringing characters to life in songs in ways that few people can.

LilLeftBrain

Re: smellin' like a Bonnaroo

Post by LilLeftBrain »

hells yeah. to keep it in the thread, fourize sent me my first DBT album (pizza deliverance) way back in the day ( a long with epic's second jawn if memory serves) so cheers to that dude for my introduction way back when
thought i would wind up seeing isbell back on the 2nd but it didn't work out. seeing him here in 2 1/2 weeks anyways so no biggie
benji you made your way to much DBT that isn't isbell? im smack dab in another listening to nothing but them extravaganza right now and there really might not be anything better
& yeah new album is tremendously tremendous
moved by duck muscles

unclebengi

Re: smellin' like a Bonnaroo (isbell)

Post by unclebengi »

As far as DBT it's a funny story for me. My dad got into them and I listened to some and could appreciate it, but couldn't really get into it. Probably had a lot to do with Patterson Hood's voice, but I stopped listening to them. Then you posted that video of "Codeine" a couple years ago and it blew me away. I went back through their catalog and re-listened, but found myself liking the Isbell songs considerably better than the rest. Maybe post up some of your favorite songs or albums, their discography is pretty daunting.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

ha, that's dope your pops was into them. i started making a DBT mix for my bro about a year ago (he's liked them for a long time, but just like the same six songs over and over) so i'll finally finish that up and send it on your way. any mix i make would be a cool 65% cooley so it'll be up your alley, truss.
and just not for nothing, their greatest hits collection is actually mighty fine, but i'd feel shitty recommending a greatest hits album so go with the dirty south or/and decoration day. since those are the beast isbell albums you've probably already heard them/have them but man they're just great song after great song
& for a just again, had a bunch of driving to do today and listened to isbells live from alabama for the first time in it's entirety. shit, thats good.
moved by duck muscles

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Sweet, Decoration Day is the one I really listen to front to back, but I would love a mix. Need to get that live Isbell too, meant to cop it but forgot about it.

fourize

Post by fourize »

Yeppp this Isbell is really dang good. As for DBT stuff, I think decoration day is the best album, but there's some serious gems on all of em. I agree that Isbell is mostly unchallenged among his peers when it comes to writing, but if anyone comes close it's Patterson Hood. Cooley has some serious chops too. I'll think on it and give a mix/list of my favorite DBT/Isbell songs later on.

For starters, though, the DBT songs Righteous Path and Puttin' People on The Moon are certified bangers. Those are my go-to Hood songs.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

thanks, I'll definitely check out those tunes tonight.

Pitchfork just put up a fantastic review of Southeastern- http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/182 ... theastern/

fourize

Post by fourize »

Oh and also, if you haven't seen Isbell live, do it. I've seen him a bunch; with DBT, with 400 Unit, and solo. All are impressive to say the least. He sounds better live than 99% of others, and it's only live that you become fully aware of the fact that he's probably the best guitar player working. I haven't seen him since he's sobered up, but my mom saw him a few weeks ago and said he was better than ever.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Saw him back in January I think, it was fantastic. Outfit, Codeine, and Decoration Day were all played. Hoping he comes through again.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

got caught up in a p4k loop after reading the isbell review and was reading some DBT reviews only to find out 'sinkhole' is apparently based on a short film starring walt goggins and made by the dude who just did recitfy? shit, did not know & must watch. were one ever forced to pick such a thing think i'd have to say that's my main hood joint. that & pretty much all his joints on southern rock opera. and a whole bunch of others
seeing isbell in two weeks. supremely stoked
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

always dig how much letterman obviously digs dude
tomorrow!
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

& oh yeah, shit, was gonna make a DBT mix. still gone hop up on it
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

caught isbell twice over the weekend and dude delivered in every way. new album, DBT toons, old toons, ended set #1 with can't you hear me knocking for some reason, but it was awesome. decoration day -> outfit --> alabama pines was an unfuckwitable stretch. his guitar dude was legit crying through elephant, felt bad for his guitar dude. caught him night #2 in a tiny little theater, twas super cool & played lots of what wasn't heard on day 1 so that was appreciated. best dude. want to watch again in the very near future
moved by duck muscles