Mac DeMarco

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

unclebengi

Mac DeMarco

Post by unclebengi »

I'm a little late on this Canadian rocker, but I'm really enjoying his new album and plan on going down the Mac DeMarco rabbit hole later this week. A lot of my friends have seen him live and have told me he's one of the best live acts out. Great melodic guitar playing and funny, biting lyrics. He's only 23 but has steadily been releasing music since 2009.

Here's the new album and tracklist-

1. "Salad Days" 2:25
2. "Blue Boy" 2:06
3. "Brother" 3:32
4. "Let Her Go" 3:02
5. "Goodbye Weekend" 2:59
6. "Let My Baby Stay" 4:08
7. "Passing Out Pieces" 2:47
8. "Treat Her Better" 3:49
9. "Chamber of Reflection" 3:51
10. "Go Easy" 3:24
11. "Jonny's Odyssey"

LilLeftBrain

Re: Mac DeMarco

Post by LilLeftBrain »

tried 2 quite a while back due to peoples really digging him, just couldn't get much into it. caught some youtubes from him at sxsw last yr and wasn't doing it there for me either. dunno
will probably check this new new sometime soon
moved by duck muscles

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I've listened to his last album since I've gotten into this one and don't like it quite as much, but it's on the same vibe. The songs are just really great throughout on the the new one IMO though, it's a little more streamlined and straightforward lyrically. His nasally delivery, existential lyrics, and sense of melody brought the Kinks to mind more that a few times throughout Salad Days and that's never a bad thing.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i've seen him live a bunch of times (he used to live here when he was going by makeout videotape). good stuff
haven't listened to the new record yet

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

checked the salad days and must say i liked the salad days. would agree with there being a tinge o the kinks in some of the sound, nice and pleasant, let my baby stay is just a nice vibe to be in, spring soundz
moved by duck muscles

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Yeah, it's funny, a couple days after I made that Kinks comparison I read an interview where Mac said the Kinks and the Beatles were his pop inspirations for this album because he was allowed to steal from them and it was cool.

I've seen some (Fantano) pan this album and I'll admit I'm a newcomer to Mac's music, but after listening to his older work a few times Salad Days is clearly his best work IMO and a solid advancement from his last couple efforts. "Blue Boy", "Let My Baby Stay", and "Chamber of Reflection" are favorites with "Goodbye Weekend" being one of my favorite songs of the year period. He plays every instrument, has become a better guitar player and is incorporating synths and electronic instrumentation increasingly well. I think he's in the same realm as Tame Impala's do-it-all Kevin Parker, just a few years behind.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Started listening to this guy because of this thread and I'm really, really like "2". Can't wait to hear this one now.

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

Mac rocks... new one is great
And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...