coltrane

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

ric

coltrane

Post by ric »

im moving. ive been packing. listening to this podcast called The Traneumentary about coltrane. really cool shit. it was free off itunes. one of those things that reignites the fire you know. highly recommended

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: coltrane

Post by Philaflava »

there isn't a sunday morning in my house where coltrane ain't getting spin

ric

Post by ric »

@phila
love it. Dude is a beast. listened to love supreme today I'm like 'ah damn that's what I've been missing'
:cheers:

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

one of the most wonderful, memorable moments of my life was when I went on a "pilgrimage," if you will, to NYC with the excitement of getting to listen to this song in central park west.

It wasn't the main purpose of the trip, but once I knew I was going, I made it my #1 priority to go to central park west, find a nice bench, put this on, and just take in life and try to experience what obviously inspired this fantastic piece. It was fucking incredible. I highly recommend it to everyone in the world. especially if you can go in autumn.

ric

Post by ric »

@sillykid
great song. cool video. great song though. I'm gonna look for that album. that song is so warm. Tyner and trane combo is like amazing. Elvin brushwork too though. respect the gawds
Last edited by ric on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Philaflava wrote:there isn't a sunday morning in my house where coltrane ain't getting spin

Versive

Post by Versive »

CSB

The house where he wrote A Love Supreme is actually pretty close to where I live now.

For Coltrane, 1964 had been a period of nonstop work. His booking agency, Shaw Artists, had him crisscrossing the country for most of the summer in a station wagon with his quartet. Philadelphia, Chicago, New York, San Francisco. Back to New York. He needed a few weeks off, and he had the perfect excuse. On August 26, his first son was born. John and Alice brought John Jr. home to their recently purchased two-story house in Dix Hills, a quiet section of Long Island, New York. For Coltrane, it was a rare opportunity to put his horn down, his feet up, and just be with his family.
But Coltrane’s obsessive nature would not let him rest. For five days he had secluded himself upstairs with pen, paper and saxophone. ‘It was late summer, or early fall, because the weather was nice at the time in New York,’ recalls Alice. There was an unoccupied area up there where we hardly ever went, sometimes a family member would visit [and] would stay there. John would go up there, take little portions of food every now and then, spending his time pondering over the music he heard within himself.’ .
Alice remained busy with John Jr. and Michelle, her four-year-old by her first marriage. When he finally reappeared, she noticed that Coltrane—normally deep in thought—was unusually serene.
It was like Moses coming down the mountain, it was so beautiful. He walked down and there was that joy, that peace in his face, tranquility. So I said, “Tell me everything, we didn’t see you really for four or five days…” He said, “This is the first time that I have received all of the music for what I want to record, in a suite. This is the first time I have everything, everything ready.”
Three months later, Coltrane stepped into a recording studio to shape the results of his meditations into an album layered with music and meaning, like nothing he had ever produced. A Love Supreme was the title he had already chosen for his ambitious project.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

My life would not be the same without John Coltrane's music. A Love Supreme is..... well, after all these years of listening to it over an over (many times from front to back 3 times in a row) I still haven't found a way to describe what it means and how amazing it is. I know exactly what the album is about, but still cannot find the words.

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

Philaflava wrote:there isn't a sunday morning in my house where coltrane ain't getting spin

:cheers:

I recently met Larry Appelbaum, jazz curator at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C., on his visit to Germany at the Jazzinstitut in Darmstatt and he told the story of how he discovered the Thelonious Monk Quartet's Carnegie Hall tapes originally recorded for the Voice of America in 1957, documenting the period in which John Coltrane played in the quartet. It's an amazing piece of music in great quality released by Blue Note Records. Still available.

ric

Post by ric »

thread is highly satisfactory
can never get enough of this guy

zappy

Post by zappy »

a love supreme is the perfect album.

his version of lush life with johnny hartman is far and away my favorite:

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

zappy wrote:a love supreme is the perfect album.

his version of lush life with johnny hartman is far and away my favorite:

I have the two impulse albums they did.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

ric

Post by ric »

@vlad
two impulse albums you say?

please upload that shit

thank you sir