Overrated Artists And Bands

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

JaH BLaZe

Overrated Artists And Bands

Post by JaH BLaZe »

Putting together a list of artists who are overrated or overvalued for one reason or another. Dont just name a group or artist - you have to explain your reasoning behind your choice.
I'll go first with:

Sublime - Songs are just annoying to me. He cant sing, or hold a note very well and his sense of rhythm is off on quite a few of those songs. I feel like dude died an untimely death and because of that, the music lives on longer than its supposed to.

Pearl Jam - Here's another cat who cant sing very good. He has a shitty stage presence on top of that. His bandmates can play alright, but Vedder cant carry a tune if his life depended on it. You dont hear of anyone ever covering one of their songs either.

Sam Smith - This guy straight jacked the melody of one of Tom Petty's songs coincidence or not, he just comes off mad pathetic and sad to me and he needs to stop doing what hes doing. He sounds like he is seconds away from swallowing the business end of a pistol.

Miley Cyrus - She is everything thats bad about this new generation. She uses sex and shock value to sell herself and it comes off degenerate and shallow and is a bad influence on young girls who think its fashionable to walk around with their bits and pieces falling out. And her music is devoid of substance and just sounds shitty.

Kanye West - Yeah he rocked it with the College Dropout and even some of his follow ups were somewhat listenable but now he has devolved into an autotuned electronic based caricature of himself. He thinks everything he does is creatively genius and he can take his self-important narcissistic ass and lock himself in his closet and eat sushi.

Ok so that's my top 5 right now. Its subject to be replaced by some other shitty sounding person who considers their self an artist but thats what Im going with at the moment.

Spartan

Re: Overrated Artists And Bands

Post by Spartan »

Kendrick Lamar - Can't stand that raspy voice and his mediocre raps. I could only tolerate listening to a couple of songs from the overrated dung heap that is To Pimp A Butterfly without wanting to skip them. Honestly find him an average artist put on a pedestal because of the hot buzz and nothing more.

Nirvana - Drone music. Their music was just a hot mess of guitar feedback and Cobain's incoherent warbling, but dude killed himself so now he's forever immortalised with laminated posters in student digs and bootleg t-shirts.

John Lennon - I think you can make an argument for The Beatles' being overrated, but that's more put upon by annoying music journos harping on about them for their own validity, imo. Lennon's music is hippie douchebag music that doesn't come close to anything from his ex bandmates' other musical ventures (e.g Got My Mind Set On You and Live and Let Die). Even today's ageing scousers don't talk about his solo stuff when reminiscing on the Fab 4 and sweaty finger-banging sessions at The Cavern.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Spartan wrote:Kendrick Lamar - Can't stand that raspy voice and his mediocre raps. I could only tolerate listening to a couple of songs from the overrated dung heap that is To Pimp A Butterfly without wanting to skip them. Honestly find him an average artist put on a pedestal because of the hot buzz and nothing more.

Nirvana - Drone music. Their music was just a hot mess of guitar feedback and Cobain's incoherent warbling, but dude killed himself so now he's forever immortalised with laminated posters in student digs and bootleg t-shirts.

John Lennon - I think you can make an argument for The Beatles' being overrated, but that's more put upon by annoying music journos harping on about them for their own validity, imo. Lennon's music is hippie douchebag music that doesn't come close to anything from his ex bandmates' other musical ventures (e.g Got My Mind Set On You and Live and Let Die). Even today's ageing scousers don't talk about his solo stuff when reminiscing on the Fab 4 and sweaty finger-banging sessions at The Cavern.
Holy shit. I came here to post this exact post but you already did for me, so thanks.
I <3 Employee.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Oi Spartan - you're well in there with Myjah, m8.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

totally agree about kendrick. i don't get all the hype at all.

Hush

Post by Hush »

Most modern rap in general - it's mostly the production that I'm not digging

I used to like Sublime but I agree with OP, now when their songs come on I just get annoyed - I don't understand people who worship Brad Nowell, and Sublime w/ Rome is even worse

I don't mind some Nirvana and Pearl Jam thrown into a 90s rock mix

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

My Bloody Valentine

Slint

The Stooges

Isaac Hayes
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

Zeed Stun

Post by Zeed Stun »

Trolling?

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Zeed Stun wrote:Trolling?
Fuckin Zeed!?
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.