The Greatest Band In Music History

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

The Greatest Band In Music History

Led Zeppelin
15%
The Rolling Stones
7%
U2
1%
The Grateful Dead
No votes
Pink Floyd
2%
The Velvet Underground
No votes
Metallica
1%
Van Halen
No votes
The Beatles
29%
Public Enemy
3%
The Doors
No votes
The Eagles
No votes
Nirvana
2%
Parliament-Funkadelic
1%
The Ramones
No votes
Red Hot Chili Peppers
No votes
The Clash
2%
RUN-DMC
No votes
Aerosmith
No votes
Black Sabbath
5%
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
1%
Beach Boys
2%
Fleetwood Mac
No votes
The Allman Brothers Band
No votes
Guns N' Roses
No votes
R.E.M.
No votes
Wu-Tang Clan
10%
The Who
No votes
A Tribe Called Quest
4%
Radiohead
3%
Simon And Garfunkel
No votes
N.W.A.
4%
Bob Marley & The Wailers
2%
De La Soul
No votes
Sly And The Family Stone
3%
The Cure
No votes
AC/DC
1%
OutKast
2%
Queen
3%
Steve Miller Band
No votes

Total votes: 109

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Icesickle wrote:The Beach Boys are gay as fuck.

How blast can say Pet Sounds is maybe the best album that all of these bands has made and simutanously diss the Beatles for being "poppy" boggles the mind.
I like the Beatles early shit... at least better than the later, "better" stuff.

Pet Sounds is arguably the best produced album ever.

You really think Pavement and Sonic Youth belong in the same stratosphere as these other bands?

bigmattfromthegrouphome

Post by bigmattfromthegrouphome »

zep............followed by stones...........

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

i love pet sounds. that shit is ridiculous.

uh zip zoom

Post by uh zip zoom »

MGP wrote:
uh zip zoom wrote:
MGP wrote:Jesus Christ?

The level of faggotry is out of control here.

You people listen to The Beach Boys?

Fuck it, I don't think I can take anyone on this board seriously.

I know Beach Boys music because my aunt listens to that garbage.

The Beach Boys are only cool for two things: Charles Manson and that wack hip hop version of "Wipe Out" they did with the Fat Boys in 1986 or some shit what I keep seeing on vinyl whenever I go digging.

Other than that the music sucks and quite frankly any male of this generation who listens to that shit needs to suck dick a little better to finish paying for his sex change operation.

Fuck this thread and fuck anyone who disputes.

:megaman:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

at no point in this thread have you made a compelling argument, or any kind of argument, as to why any of the hip-hop groups listed should be called the greatest of all time. basically it has just been "if you believe the greatest band ever is composed of white people you're a faggot."

it must be hard to be that ashamed of your skin color.
I agreed with Ice that the Wu Tang Clan could be voted the best band if you consider all of their solo work.

I also provided more examples of classic material to compliment his post.

I voted Wu Tang Clan.

You sir, need to learn to comprehend what you read.

No, I'm not ashamed of my skin color. I have a tattoo that says Irish Pride.

But if I were the vast majority of this board I'd be ashamed of my shitty taste in music.
bands should be judged by how well they work together, so i don't see why any material should be counted that was made while half the group (or more) was absent. so solo albums of the original wu members shouldn't be counted, and la the darkman and sunz of man shouldn't even enter into the discussion.

you also cite the wu's reputation that had other rappers scared of them, which has exactly nothing to do with musical quality.

you also cite wu's videos. although they were classic and groundbreaking, they have nothing to do with the current discussion, which is about the music itself.

not much of an argument if we're talking greatest musical act of all time. but really i'm surprised you took the time to add that much, as much fun as it is calling people faggots.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Icesickle wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:if the word band is going to be used so broadly, where is the temptations or jackson 5?
"There's not many brothers in here" so the Jackson 5 had to be overlooked for great aging frat boy groups like the Steve Miller band.

Apparantly Sonic Youth and Pavement aren't as important as the Steve Miller band either.

:lol: :megaman:
Sonic youth yes, pavement - keep dreaming - it only matters to your tight pantsed bretheren.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

blastmaster wrote: I like the Beatles early shit... at least better than the later, "better" stuff.

Pet Sounds is arguably the best produced album ever.

You really think Pavement and Sonic Youth belong in the same stratosphere as these other bands?
Slanted and Enchanged through Brighten the Corners is a great run - all classic albums and different in their own right. Malkmus is one of the best lyricists I've ever heard and Pavement have crafted some of the best indie pop songs ever (Summer Babe, Cut Your Hair, Goldsoundz, Stereo) and a lot of bands who get more love on here (Blur and Weezer) have borrowed heavily from them. Not only that, if you put all their B-sides together you could make an album that's better than the best album by some of these bands on here. So yeah, they belong. Especially above bands like The Steve Miller Band, The Eagles, RHCP, even Nirvana.

And if Nirvana's on the list Sonic Youth definitely belong...

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

Sonic Youth definitely belongs up there. I mean Radiohead is in there for Christ sake and what are they if not Sonic Youth v2.0? Not that they sound alike but both filled the same role for their respective decade of influence.

Pavement is a tool of Pitchfork to try and hide the fact that Nirvana owned the early 90's.
Last edited by Funk Docta Bombay on Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

drizzle wrote:
Icesickle wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:if the word band is going to be used so broadly, where is the temptations or jackson 5?
"There's not many brothers in here" so the Jackson 5 had to be overlooked for great aging frat boy groups like the Steve Miller band.

Apparantly Sonic Youth and Pavement aren't as important as the Steve Miller band either.

Sonic youth yes, pavement - keep dreaming - it only matters to your tight pantsed bretheren.
:larry:

Yeah; they both have such different fanbases...

A lot of your favorite artists jock Pavement's nuts.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Funk Docta Bombay wrote:Pavement is a tool of Pitchfork to try and hide the fact that Nirvana owned the early 90's.

Rolling Stone and Spin were much bigger Pavement supporters. I think Spin said Slanted and Enchanted was the 4th or 5th best album of the 90s. Pavement's a better band than Nirvana strictly because they've put out more material. Slanted, Crooked Rain, Wowee Zowee, and Brighten the Corners are all 4.5-5 star albums, easy. Nirvana only has 1 classic and 2 good/great albums.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Ok guys... this is a Greatest Band of All-Time thread... enough Pavement talk.

We should be celebrating the fact that no one has voted for REM or U2.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

blastmaster wrote:We should be celebrating the fact that no one has voted for REM or U2.
Agreed. Fuck those guys.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

It's amazing how most of these threads aren't about the actual poll but about what's missing.

I created this poll with 54 different bands knowing really just a handful rightfully belong. So I missed this group or that group, I always say this and I stand by it. Chances are if I missed it it wouldn't have even had a shot at winning.

I get you want your voice to be heard, but give me a fucking break. If there isn't that "ONE" band on this list, I'm sure you could find one you'd be happy selecting if under pressure.

Be lucky I didn't throw 4 Non-Blondes up on this list faggots.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Icesickle wrote:
drizzle wrote:
Icesickle wrote:

:larry:

Yeah; they both have such different fanbases...

A lot of your favorite artists jock Pavement's nuts.
Oh yeah, hendrix, tommy iomi, bill ward, jimmy page, jonh bonahm, Jeff Beck, horace andy, lee perry, rza, sinatra - all famous pavement dickriders. In fact i heard syd barrett killed himself because piper was so inferior to crooked rain

the only way your favorite artists are jocking pavement is if you're hitting refresh on pitchfork 20 times a day to get news of the new killers 3" distributed exclusively in japan and norway

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

blastmaster wrote:Ok guys... this is a Greatest Band of All-Time thread... enough Pavement talk.

amin to that

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

drizzle wrote: Oh yeah, hendrix, tommy iomi, bill ward, jimmy page, jonh bonahm, Jeff Beck, horace andy, lee perry, rza, sinatra - all famous pavement dickriders. In fact i heard syd barrett killed himself because piper was so inferior to crooked rain

the only way your favorite artists are jocking pavement is if you're hitting refresh on pitchfork 20 times a day to get news of the new killers 3" distributed exclusively in japan and norway
:lol: Point taken.

You've got thing for guitar noodlers...

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Funk Docta Bombay wrote:
blastmaster wrote:We should be celebrating the fact that no one has voted for REM or U2.
Agreed. Fuck those guys.
Don't know about all that... They're both better bands than Nirvana. There's a lot of chronically depressed, self-pitying people in America though, so...

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Icesickle wrote:
drizzle wrote: Oh yeah, hendrix, tommy iomi, bill ward, jimmy page, jonh bonahm, Jeff Beck, horace andy, lee perry, rza, sinatra - all famous pavement dickriders. In fact i heard syd barrett killed himself because piper was so inferior to crooked rain

:lol: Point taken.

You've got thing for guitar noodlers...
:lol: yeah i do like the gueeetar

i might have been a bit harsh on the whole 3" killers thing, but you see what i mean here

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

blastmaster wrote:Ok guys... this is a Greatest Band of All-Time thread... enough Pavement talk.

i recognize that they are no where near the greatest band of all time but U2 is one of my favorite bands ever.

they are fucking good man

DONT FRONT

JOSHUA TREE PWNZ YOU

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:

i recognize that they are no where near the greatest band of all time but U2 is one of my favorite bands ever.

they are fucking good man

DONT FRONT

JOSHUA TREE PWNZ YOU

joshua tree is where they should've stopped

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

drizzle wrote: joshua tree is where they should've stopped
Uh, Achtung Baby's their best album.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Icesickle wrote:
So wrong its not even funny. I like Joshua Tree, a lot, but they have become a caricature of what they once were.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Icesickle, did you smoke crack before posting in this thread? Because you're making some pretty lolzers statements.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

blastmaster wrote:
Icesickle wrote:
So wrong its not even funny. I like Joshua Tree, a lot, but they have become a caricature of what they once were.
they are a caricature of what they used to be. i agree. they still make good songs though.

i like achtung baby too but joshua tree is clearly the best album in u2's repetoire.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

ok, once and for all, War is U2's best album and they have become one of the worst things in music in the last 10 years or so

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Reggie wrote:Icesickle, did you smoke crack before posting in this thread? Because you're making some pretty lolzers statements.
A lot of people think Pavement's a better band than Nirvana and one of the best indie bands of all time (the staffs of Spin certainly does) and that Achtung Baby's a great album, if not U2s best album.

Sorry man, I'll snap back to sanity. Beatles are GOAT, U2 and R.E.M. are worthless, and Nevermind is the best album of my lifetime...

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

Icesickle wrote: Sorry man, I'll snap back to sanity. Beatles are GOAT, U2 and R.E.M. are worthless, and Nevermind is the best album of my lifetime...
actually much better :lol:

ANT8U

Post by ANT8U »

judging from this thread..

there are alot of white people on this board.

i'mjussayintho.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Money Gripp wrote:Image

BLACK SABBATH > your life

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Money Gripp wrote:
Money Gripp wrote:Image

BLACK SABBATH > your life
fucking finally

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

drizzle wrote:ok, once and for all, War is U2's best album and they have become one of the worst things in music in the last 10 years or so
nope

1. joshua tree
2. War
3. Achtung Baby
4. The unforgettable Fire
5. October