The Greatest Band In Music History

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

The Greatest Band In Music History

Led Zeppelin
15%
The Rolling Stones
7%
U2
1%
The Grateful Dead
No votes
Pink Floyd
2%
The Velvet Underground
No votes
Metallica
1%
Van Halen
No votes
The Beatles
29%
Public Enemy
3%
The Doors
No votes
The Eagles
No votes
Nirvana
2%
Parliament-Funkadelic
1%
The Ramones
No votes
Red Hot Chili Peppers
No votes
The Clash
2%
RUN-DMC
No votes
Aerosmith
No votes
Black Sabbath
5%
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
1%
Beach Boys
2%
Fleetwood Mac
No votes
The Allman Brothers Band
No votes
Guns N' Roses
No votes
R.E.M.
No votes
Wu-Tang Clan
10%
The Who
No votes
A Tribe Called Quest
4%
Radiohead
3%
Simon And Garfunkel
No votes
N.W.A.
4%
Bob Marley & The Wailers
2%
De La Soul
No votes
Sly And The Family Stone
3%
The Cure
No votes
AC/DC
1%
OutKast
2%
Queen
3%
Steve Miller Band
No votes

Total votes: 109

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

MGP wrote:This is a fucking hip hop site.

If the Wu Tang Clan or P.E. or ATCQ or a rap group isn't your pick then you're a faggot, you're a white piece of shit who isn't down and doesn't belong and furthermore your opinions on rap and hip hop are null and void.

I try to avoid this forum because the musical roots of a lot of posters here are an embarassment and say a lot white lily-white lives you led as kids.

Punk faggots.
:paulwall:

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

The Beatles have had an influence in just about every subgenre that Rock n Roll has produced since them.
They either started it, or copied it and found something greater within it.

"Helter Skelter" - Punk, Hard Rock.
Psychedelic.
Blues
Pop (perfection)
concept albums

they've done it all.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

If the Wu Tang Clan or P.E. or ATCQ or a rap group isn't your pick then you're a faggot, you're a white piece of shit who isn't down and doesn't belong and furthermore your opinions on rap and hip hop are null and void.

I try to avoid this forum because the musical roots of a lot of posters here are an embarassment and say a lot white lily-white lives you led as kids.

Punk faggots.
You have red hair.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Punk faggots.
white kids from white backgrounds - SHOCKING
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Post by MGP »

cascarrabias wrote:

Punk faggots.
You have red hair.
Sure, whatever. I also have more muscle mass, guns, and money than you.

You have awful taste in music.

You come to a hip hop site and spend more time posting about other forms of music.

Go fuck yourself.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

If you combine all their efforts, Wu Tang is probably the best band on that list. Name a band with 10 albums as good as this, let alone albums as diverse as this:

Enter the 36 Chambers
Return to the 36 Chambers
Ironman
Liquid Swords
Only Built for Cuban Linx
Wu Tang Forever
Supreme Clientele
The W
No Said Date
Fishscale

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

MGP wrote:
cascarrabias wrote:

Punk faggots.
You have red hair.

You come to a hip hop site and spend more time posting about other forms of music.

Go fuck yourself.
Dude has a point though... I have no idea why a lot of people on here are on a hip hop site, especially the ones who get indignant when someone objects to white people throwing around N bombs.

That being said, a lot of your favorite hip hop artists (official dudes like Cormega included, who's said one of his idols was John Lennon) would probably put the Beatles and a lot of other bands up here over any of the hip hop acts listed. Thinking that listening to rock music makes you less "official" is retarded - doesn't your boyfriend rock heavy metal Ts?
Last edited by Icesickle on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Icesickle wrote:If you combine all their efforts, Wu Tang is probably the best band on that list. Name a band with 10 albums as good as this, let alone albums as diverse as this:

Enter the 36 Chambers
Ironman
Liquid Swords
Wu Tang Forever
Supreme Clientele
The W
No Said Date
Fishscale
Aftermath, Between the Buttons, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main St., Goat's Head Soup and Some Girls. And pick another 2 "lesser" albums as I dont think The W and Fishscale really fit with the others on the list.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

^^^ are you kidding me, the only reason you can list those is because it's a group with 9 members most of whom put out solos, completely different set up from every other group on there. Honestly i don't think they should even be up there, it's completely apples and oranges

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Post by MGP »

Icesickle wrote:If you combine all their efforts, Wu Tang is probably the best band on that list. Name a band with 10 albums as good as this, let alone albums as diverse as this:

Enter the 36 Chambers
Ironman
Liquid Swords
Wu Tang Forever
Supreme Clientele
The W
No Said Date
Fishscale
Not to mention an extended family of up to 400 members and a style that is revered and imitated to this day from Redhook to Russia.

There is a fine list of borderline classics put out under the Wu umbrella:

La the Darkman's Heist of the Century (4.5/5)
KP's Heavy Mental (5/5)
Sunz of Man's Last Shall be first (4/5)
Killarmy's Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars (4/5)
and many more.

Then there are all the other "good" albums that they put out that whie not classic are better than the lesser material put out by rock groups who were on the decline and are getting votes in this poll.

Let's not forget the reputation. Other rappers signed to other labels were told by their A&Rs and bosses to never publicly mention the Wu Tang Clan. People were so fucking scared it was redic but regardless they made the most timeless hip hop that has ever emerged from the genre.

Oh, classic videos...

Protect Ya Neck
Chessboxin'
Ice Cream
CREAM
Triumph
Tragedy
Shimmy Shimmy Ya
4th Chamber

The Wu really brought art to a new level in hip hop.

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

If Metallica had ceased to exist after Justice, I would have voted for them. They diluted their legacy.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

drizzle wrote:^^^ are you kidding me, the only reason you can list those is because it's a group with 9 members most of whom put out solos, completely different set up from every other group on there. Honestly i don't think they should even be up there, it's completely apples and oranges
You've got a point. Come to think of it if you included all of Lennon's, McCartney's, and Harrison's work alongside the Beatles albums, they're probably better than any other band. The Wu would still be second.

You've also got Bruce and the E Street Band on here, but people who'd vote for them are gonna include Bruce's solo work in the equation...so that fucks things up as well. If you're gonna include Bruce and the E Street Band you should just go all the way and include Bob Dylan and The Band.
Last edited by Icesickle on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Post by MGP »

Icesickle wrote:
MGP wrote:
cascarrabias wrote:

Punk faggots.
You have red hair.

Go fuck yourself.
Dude has a point though... I have no idea why a lot of people on here are on a hip hop site, especially the ones who get indignant when someone objects to white people throwing around N bombs.

That being said, a lot of your favorite hip hop artists (official dudes like Cormega included, who's said one of his idols was John Lennon) would probably put the Beatles and a lot of other bands up here over any of the hip hop acts listed. Thinking that listening to rock music makes you less "official" is retarded - doesn't your boyfriend rock heavy metal Ts?
Just because Lennon is looked up to by Cormega doesn't mean Cormega would put Lennon above Nas or Rakim.

And to answer the second part of your post- listening to other music is cool but the fact that a lot of people here listen to less hip hop than they do other genres and this is a hip hop site should say a lot about the people here. Listening to rock doesn't make someone less official, but listening to more rock than hip hop and having outlandishly stupid opinions on hip hop makes someone an ass hole (like people who used to listen to Can OX, which was always wack, and now listen to trap-hop and blaspheme against legends like Nas).

That said, a lot of you are fucking ass holes and your views are now worthless.

I'm obviously in the minority here. I don't think anyone outside of Mindbender is as rabid for this culture as I am.

Masked Terror #1

Wu isn't even the best hip-hop group on the list.

The fact that this is supposedly a hip-hop site and no one has voted for PE yet is the real tragedy.

uh zip zoom

Post by uh zip zoom »

this is a hip-hop site??

shit guys... i had no idea..

i've been white this whole time.

i should go.

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Post by MGP »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:Wu isn't even the best hip-hop group on the list.

The fact that this is supposedly a hip-hop site and no one has voted for PE yet is the real tragedy.
PE has tarnished thier legacy much the same way you think Metalica has.

As far as hip hop goes, they are some of the greats though.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

If people were really concerned with appealing to the hiphop gawds there would be some votes for P-Funk.

And I agree that its not really fair to include Wu solo albums in a poll like this.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

MGP wrote:
Masked Terror #1 wrote:Wu isn't even the best hip-hop group on the list.

PE has tarnished thier legacy much the same way you think Metalica has.

As far as hip hop goes, they are some of the greats though.
i can understand where you guys are coming from (as far as this being a hiphop forum) but what about Parilament and Sly both of whom are on the list - they are both essential and rediculously influential to the hip hop culture

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Punk faggots.
Whatever. Cause this is a hiphop site I'm supposed to feel that hiphop is the greatest music ever???

I still don't understand how Earth Wind and Fire are not up there. They are the greatest ever.

Masked Terror #1

MGP wrote:PE has tarnished thier legacy much the same way you think Metalica has.
That's true.

I guess it's easier to forget that they had albums after Black Planet because they weren't popular.

The fact that Metallica's crap work is their most popular is what really seals their fate.

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Post by MGP »

blastmaster wrote:If people were really concerned with appealing to the hiphop gawds there would be some votes for P-Funk.

And I agree that its not really fair to include Wu solo albums in a poll like this.
On your first point you are quite right.

On the second point well... a glimpse of retardation.

Just about all the Wu solos from 1994 to 1999 were mini Wu-Tang albums.

Rza even said that when you see that :wutang: on an album, you're basically getting a Wu Tang album.

All had the classic Rza production and where he didn't produce one of his understudies did and did a great job at that.

Then there were all the massive guest spots.

If you don't agree you're a faggot or you're not a real hip hop head. This argument you're presenting exists only in the vaccume of the internet. On the streets niggas know what the deal is.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are like a cartoon.

FreshShabazz

Post by FreshShabazz »

Wu-Tang or PE haven't decided yet.

"the hardest thing is to forgive, but God does/ even if you've murdered and robbed, yeah it's wrong, but God loves/ take one step towards him, he takes two towards you/ even when all else fails God supports you."

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Post by MGP »

blastmaster wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are like a cartoon.
Really?

There are certain things that are indisputable to real, life-long, hip hop heads and my comments about early Wu Tang work are representative of that.

Maybe it's because I was a fan and activly involved in hip hop when the Wu came to power and a lot of people here weren't (I've seen plenty of threads asking for early Wu solos because losers here hadn't alread checked them out and unless you were born in 1987 there is no real alibi for that in my book), but the fact was from 1993 to 2001 they were not a form of hip hop you could hide from. It was in the clubs (All I Need, Ice Cream, Got Your Money, Shimmy Shimmy Ya, and others), on the radio, in tape decks on Rikers, on MTV and BET not to mention video music box.

People who were buying Wu solos knew they were getting Wu Tang albums back then.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Cash Rulz wrote:How did you leave out Earth, Wind and Fire?
I saw them play last year with Chicago, but I didn't think there was enough brothas that would vote for them, so it didn't warrant the nomination. But if this list expanded to another 42 names, they'd be the first added along with the Commadores.
Last edited by Philaflava on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Punk faggots.
I bet Chuck D would choose P Funk from that list.

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Post by MGP »

Reggie wrote:

Punk faggots.
I bet Chuck D would choose P Funk from that list.
No, Dr. Dre, Eric Semen, and Ice Cube would.

Chuck D would vote for PE and plug the new album.

amplifya

Post by amplifya »

Let's say...3 albums, which for some bands incredible discographies is absolutely nothing, is enough to judge a bands contribution to music history. How many of you have really absorbed and digested 3 albums by even *half* of the groups listed? Not just winamp skipped through, but know the songs? I'm not even close, and I get the feeling i've listened to more than the vast majority of you with a few exceptions (i'm impressed by blasts knowledge of like 8 stones albums.. I'm not sure theres any artists I know 8 albums through and through besides probably jay and nas..i'm getting close with the beatles and prince though).

edit: :phila: , I wish you could make an ignore function on this board so I can ignore certain posters posts like on soundcircuit

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Christ dude. It's called diversity. If being a real hip-hop head means being a closed-minded pseudo-street savvy douchebag, then you can count me out from jump.

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Post by MGP »

amplifya wrote:Let's say...3 albums, which for some bands incredible discographies is absolutely nothing, is enough to judge a bands contribution to music history. How many of you have really absorbed and digested 3 albums by even *half* of the groups listed? Not just winamp skipped through, but know the songs? I'm not even close, and I get the feeling i've listened to more than the vast majority of you with a few exceptions (i'm impressed by blasts knowledge of like 8 stones albums.. I'm not sure theres any artists I know 8 albums through and through besides probably jay and nas..i'm getting close with the beatles and prince though).

edit: :phila: , I wish you could make an ignore function on this board so I can ignore certain posters posts like on soundcircuit
WARNING!

YOU'RE DANGEROUSLY CLOSE TO BECOMING A FAGGOT!

PLZ GET YOUR STOMACH PUMPED IMMEDIATELY AND THEN SPIN SOME WU TANG RECORDS.
Reggie wrote:Christ dude. It's called diversity. If being a real hip-hop head means being a closed-minded pseudo-street savvy douchebag, then you can count me out from jump.
Diversity is cool, I even said it's good to listen to other music but to know more about other forms of music whilst spending a good chunck of your time on a hip hop message board is lunacy and herbish.

I take the douchebag thing as a compliment though.
Last edited by MGP on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.