The Greatest Band In Music History

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

The Greatest Band In Music History

Led Zeppelin
15%
The Rolling Stones
7%
U2
1%
The Grateful Dead
No votes
Pink Floyd
2%
The Velvet Underground
No votes
Metallica
1%
Van Halen
No votes
The Beatles
29%
Public Enemy
3%
The Doors
No votes
The Eagles
No votes
Nirvana
2%
Parliament-Funkadelic
1%
The Ramones
No votes
Red Hot Chili Peppers
No votes
The Clash
2%
RUN-DMC
No votes
Aerosmith
No votes
Black Sabbath
5%
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
1%
Beach Boys
2%
Fleetwood Mac
No votes
The Allman Brothers Band
No votes
Guns N' Roses
No votes
R.E.M.
No votes
Wu-Tang Clan
10%
The Who
No votes
A Tribe Called Quest
4%
Radiohead
3%
Simon And Garfunkel
No votes
N.W.A.
4%
Bob Marley & The Wailers
2%
De La Soul
No votes
Sly And The Family Stone
3%
The Cure
No votes
AC/DC
1%
OutKast
2%
Queen
3%
Steve Miller Band
No votes

Total votes: 109

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

MGP wrote:This is a fucking hip hop site.

If the Wu Tang Clan or P.E. or ATCQ or a rap group isn't your pick then you're a faggot, you're a white piece of shit who isn't down and doesn't belong and furthermore your opinions on rap and hip hop are null and void.
dude...pump your breaks hommie...If the WU, P.E., ATCQ was participating in this poll, they would prolly vote Led Zeppelin. These older cats know whats real.

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Post by MGP »

darkwingduck wrote:
MGP wrote:This is a fucking hip hop site.

If the Wu Tang Clan or P.E. or ATCQ or a rap group isn't your pick then you're a faggot, you're a white piece of shit who isn't down and doesn't belong and furthermore your opinions on rap and hip hop are null and void.
dude...pump your breaks hommie...If the WU, P.E., ATCQ was participating in this poll, they would prolly vote Led Zeppelin. These older cats know whats real.
They know what's real and what's real to then is Isaac Hayes, James Brown, and a lot of 70s soul shit... Motown too.

No jazz bands? No blues?

ALL OF WHICH IS ABSENT FROM THIS LIST.

No disrespect tp Phila, but this is the most un-hip hop list there is. I understand why, too many white-bread faggots who are obviously clueless about hip hop post here. This is all whitey's music.

No, Wu and ATCQ wouldn't be voting Zeppelin. They'd be voting what inspired them and what they sampled.
Last edited by MGP on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mud

Post by mud »

not one vote for floyd???
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

mud

Post by mud »

the two most overrated bands ever are 1st and 2nd.
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

MGP, this forum exists mainly to discuss non-hiphop music. My Two Cents is the hiphop forum, this is for the other shit. I see your point, but this is the appropriate place for a poll like this.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Anyone else think that The Beach Boys should be getting at least a little love? I am tempted to say that Pet Sounds might be the best album involved here (tempted, but not fully prepared to go out on that limb).

Shup Diddy
Nigga, Shup

Post by Shup Diddy »

MGP wrote:
amplifya wrote:Let's say...3 albums, which for some bands incredible discographies is absolutely nothing, is enough to judge a bands contribution to music history. How many of you have really absorbed and digested 3 albums by even *half* of the groups listed? Not just winamp skipped through, but know the songs? I'm not even close, and I get the feeling i've listened to more than the vast majority of you with a few exceptions (i'm impressed by blasts knowledge of like 8 stones albums.. I'm not sure theres any artists I know 8 albums through and through besides probably jay and nas..i'm getting close with the beatles and prince though).

edit: :phila: , I wish you could make an ignore function on this board so I can ignore certain posters posts like on soundcircuit
WARNING!

YOU'RE DANGEROUSLY CLOSE TO BECOMING A FAGGOT!

PLZ GET YOUR STOMACH PUMPED IMMEDIATELY AND THEN SPIN SOME WU TANG RECORDS.

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Post by MGP »

blastmaster wrote:MGP, this forum exists mainly to discuss non-hiphop music. My Two Cents is the hiphop forum, this is for the other shit. I see your point, but this is the appropriate place for a poll like this.
Well, again... a glimpse of retardation from Blastmaster.

Does it matter what forum this poll is in? Did I ever once dispute that?

What I'm saying is that we all are united here because of hip hop.

This is a hip hop site.

More people should care more for hip hop than say, the Rolling Stones.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

^^^:lol: :lol: @ the ROBOT

amplifya

Post by amplifya »

blastmaster wrote:Anyone else think that The Beach Boys should be getting at least a little love? Pet Sounds might be the best album involved here (tempted, but not fully prepared to go out on that limb).
Haha, I made a post on OKP a lil while back saying Pet Sounds was as good as any Beatles album, most people weren't agreeing. I still haven't checked any of the rest of their discog though, and I doubt anyone here has (besides you maybe?) ..perhaps its time for a request in the mighty :ethief:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

1.) An ignore function will happen once we upgrade later this fall.

2.) I hate the Stones. They're overrated and yet I own most of their catalog because I took all their cd's (along with Bowie) during CD sweeps one night at Virgin Records. Greatest thing to ever happen to me in terms of music. And I think all their CD's remain sealed somewhere in a box in my garage.

3.) I voted for a hip-hop group, but in my heart know the Beatles were the most influencial from the list.

4.) Both Blastmaster & MPG are top 5 in terms of :phila: posters.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

blastmaster wrote:Anyone else think that The Beach Boys should be getting at least a little love? I am tempted to say that Pet Sounds might be the best album involved here (tempted, but not fully prepared to go out on that limb).
edit: didn't realize all my shit got cut off here

Pet sounds is more of a critic's/musician's pick - in technical terms its supposedly almost flawless, and regularly creeps up in the top 5 of the 60s lists. But from a listeners perspective its not as effective as the better known contemporaries
Last edited by drizzle on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Post by MGP »

Jesus Christ?

The level of faggotry is out of control here.

You people listen to The Beach Boys?

Fuck it, I don't think I can take anyone on this board seriously.

I know Beach Boys music because my aunt listens to that garbage.

The Beach Boys are only cool for two things: Charles Manson and that wack hip hop version of "Wipe Out" they did with the Fat Boys in 1986 or some shit what I keep seeing on vinyl whenever I go digging.

Other than that the music sucks and quite frankly any male of this generation who listens to that shit needs to suck dick a little better to finish paying for his sex change operation.

Fuck this thread and fuck anyone who disputes.

:megaman:
Last edited by MGP on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Philaflava wrote:3.) I voted for a hip-hop group, but in my heart know the Beatles were the most influencial from the list.
Same here. But seeing as how it validates me as a "real hip-hop head" I wish I could change my vote.

Shup Diddy
Nigga, Shup

Post by Shup Diddy »

thread has just gone platinum.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

MGP wrote:
blastmaster wrote:MGP, this forum exists mainly to discuss non-hiphop music. My Two Cents is the hiphop forum, this is for the other shit. I see your point, but this is the appropriate place for a poll like this.
Well, again... a glimpse of retardation from Blastmaster.

Does it matter what forum this poll is in? Did I ever once dispute that?

What I'm saying is that we all are united here because of hip hop.

This is a hip hop site.

More people should care more for hip hop than say, the Rolling Stones.
Ok, whatever, you win.

amplifya

Post by amplifya »

MGP, if you can find me a good general music board which is active, has in depth discussions, and isn't pretentious and anti-hip hop/anti-pop/anti-mainstream, i'll gladly bounce from :phila: and not trouble you with anymore "whiteboy faggot" posts.

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

amplifya wrote:Let's say...3 albums, which for some bands incredible discographies is absolutely nothing, is enough to judge a bands contribution to music history. How many of you have really absorbed and digested 3 albums by even *half* of the groups listed? Not just winamp skipped through, but know the songs? I'm not even close, and I get the feeling i've listened to more than the vast majority of you with a few exceptions (i'm impressed by blasts knowledge of like 8 stones albums.. I'm not sure theres any artists I know 8 albums through and through besides probably jay and nas..i'm getting close with the beatles and prince though).

edit: :phila: , I wish you could make an ignore function on this board so I can ignore certain posters posts like on soundcircuit
The only artists in this poll that I don't own and know 3 albums by are Velvet Underground and Sly & The Family Stone. I only have two each of theirs.

:rockout:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

i dont' understand why MGP is so vocally angry at a thread full of genuinly good rock music in a forum specifically designed for this, but doesn't say shit about the ton of hipster/Paris/Timberlake threads that pop up all over including M2C

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

blastmaster wrote:If people were really concerned with appealing to the hiphop gawds there would be some votes for P-Funk.
I almost did this because I want to be down so bad.

but I figured since Doom sampled The Beatles
and so did DangerMouse that I would be more accepted on this board since people don't actually listen to P-Funk... just Dre and Sermon records.
MGP wrote:No, Wu and ATCQ wouldn't be voting Zeppelin. They'd be voting what inspired them and what they sampled.
so Lou Reed?

uh zip zoom

Post by uh zip zoom »

MGP wrote:Jesus Christ?

The Beach Boys are only cool for two things: Charles Manson and that wack hip hop version of "Wipe Out" they did with the Fat Boys in 1986 or some shit what I keep seeing on vinyl whenever I go digging.

Other than that the music sucks and quite frankly any male of this generation who listens to that shit needs to suck dick a little better to finish paying for his sex change operation.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

at no point in this thread have you made a compelling argument, or any kind of argument, as to why any of the hip-hop groups listed should be called the greatest of all time. basically it has just been "if you believe the greatest band ever is composed of white people you're a faggot."

it must be hard to be that ashamed of your skin color.

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Post by MGP »

uh zip zoom wrote:
MGP wrote:Jesus Christ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

at no point in this thread have you made a compelling argument, or any kind of argument, as to why any of the hip-hop groups listed should be called the greatest of all time. basically it has just been "if you believe the greatest band ever is composed of white people you're a faggot."

it must be hard to be that ashamed of your skin color.
I agreed with Ice that the Wu Tang Clan could be voted the best band if you consider all of their solo work.

I also provided more examples of classic material to compliment his post.

I voted Wu Tang Clan.

You sir, need to learn to comprehend what you read.

No, I'm not ashamed of my skin color. I have a tattoo that says Irish Pride.

But if I were the vast majority of this board I'd be ashamed of my shitty taste in music.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

This thread is simultaneously retarded and brilliant.

thread is an idiot savant.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

i just came into this thread to say i think the rolling stones are incredibly overrated and i'm not a big fan.

and are wutang, atcq, PE, and outkast really bands? i don't think of them as such. The Roots are a band but the others i really don't think of in the same way.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

where's the john mayer quartet?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

MGP, just out of curiousity, aside from hip hop what's your taste in music like? What would you put as a top 5 non-hiphop lets say

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

The Beach Boys are gay as fuck.

How blast can say Pet Sounds is maybe the best album that all of these bands has made and simutanously diss the Beatles for being "poppy" boggles the mind.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Icesickle wrote:The Beach Boys are gay as fuck.

How blast can say Pet Sounds is maybe the best album that all of these bands has made and simutanously diss the Beatles for being "poppy" boggles the mind.
read my edit above

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

if the word band is going to be used so broadly, where is the temptations or jackson 5?

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:if the word band is going to be used so broadly, where is the temptations or jackson 5?
"There's not many brothers in here" so the Jackson 5 had to be overlooked for great aging frat boy groups like the Steve Miller band.

Apparantly Sonic Youth and Pavement aren't as important as the Steve Miller band either.

:lol: :megaman: