I Need All Your Music Expertese - Electronic and Dance Music

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

neoteric

I Need All Your Music Expertese - Electronic and Dance Music

Post by neoteric »

confession:
i have no idea the difference between techno and house. well kinda but not really

and i should, really

ive mostly been playin hip hop, reggae and r&b for many years, ive got that down but i need your help

im tryin to diversify and id really appreciate your help in getting that together

so, the easiest way to ask is, if you could name 20 undeniable classics in the following genres

*note, i want the 50 cents or RUN DMCs of each genre, not the immortal techniques to start

1. Techno
2. House
3. Drum and Bass
4. Booty Bass/Electro/Baltimore House
5. Any other related Genre

i dont want some rave type shit (no trance please) but more like cold party rockin jams

mud

Post by mud »

my brothers into all this shit, i don't know which genre is which, my last job used to have a lot of this playing in the office too

heres some decent tracks...

faithless - insomnia
push - universal nation
chemical brothers - hey boy hey gir;
underworld - born slippy
daft punk - da funk
alter ego - rocker
kernkraft 400 - zombie nation
prodigy - voodoo people, breathe, firestarter, their law, smack my bitch up
age of love - age of love
storm - time to burn
deep dish - flashdance
mylo - drop the pressure
armand van helden - my my my
tomcraft - loneliness (benny bennassi remix)
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

El Keter

Re: I Need All Your Music Expertese - Electronic and Dance M

Post by El Keter »

neoteric wrote:confession:
i have no idea the difference between techno and house. well kinda but not really

and i should, really
A DJ from the New York Disco era named Frankie Knuckles moved to Chicago and had an influential club night at a spot called the Warehouse. The disco, club classic and other eccentric james he played were dubbed by locals "Warehouse Music," which was shortened to "House Music." He and other DJs on the local scene were known for playing a drum machine along with the records they played to extend records, they would also make one-off drum machine fueled re-edits and things of that nature because by that point record companies weren't putting out any more Disco music. When local DJs and producers began putting out these types of drum machine, sample and keyboard-based beats on a larger scale the music shared the name House Music.

His former DJ partner in New York Larry Levan had a similarly influential night at a legendary New York club called the Paradise Garage. The music he played, and the remixes and production work he did had just as big an effect on the New York club and electronic music scenes ( including New York's future House music scene ) as Knuckles had in Chicago.

The story's very similar to the story of Hip-Hop actually.

As for Techno; kids in Detroit, who already had a musical heritage all their own ( what with Motown and P-Funk, etc ), and influenced by eccentric local radio programming, the Robo-Funk coming from the Minneapolis scene, and early experimental Electro musicians who lived in the area, became influenced by the rise of the House scene in Chicago to make their own records. The resulting Detroit House and Acid House ( so called because of it's use of the TB303 "Acid" machine ) became known as Techno, mainly due to media pressure to call the burgeoning genre something.

If you want to hear some of the seminal records of both scenes you can pick up a couple of recent compilation CDs from the notorious Trax Records company that collect a huge number of early sides of the era.

neoteric

Post by neoteric »

cool, thanks for that

and i appreciate that link mud, gonna check it out

can anyone else help me with this?

some chick

Post by some chick »

wow i got sucked into this. talk about going down a musical memory lane. anyways i'm upping one (or two) mother of a playlist for you.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

I'm disappointed in myself that I recognise all but a few of the tracks mud listed.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Re: I Need All Your Music Expertese - Electronic and Dance M

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

neoteric wrote:3. Drum and Bass
Or 'Jungle', as we used to call it.

Krome and Time - The License
Marvelous Cain - Hitman
Dream Team - Yeah Man
Rufige Cru - Darkrider
Rufige Cru - Special Request
Deep Blue - Helicopter
Dead Dred's - Dred Bass
Renegade - Terrorist
DJ Hype - Tiger Style
Foul Play - Open Your Mind
Ed Rush - Bloodclot Attack
Origin Unknown - Valley of Shadows (aka Long Dark Tunnel)
Omni Trio's - Vol. 2
DJ Krust - Set Speed

Its so hard to remember names of tracks and producers - it all came and went so quickly. I never bought any records, only mixtapes, and have lost/binned all of them over the years. If I has MP3s i'd post them, but I dunno where to start looking.

The best stuff is pre 96ish, when people like Goldie etc got big. I found that stuff really wishy-washy.

De Seven Free

Post by De Seven Free »

I'll get onto this when I get home. But for now let me recommend you seek out Nu-Yorican Soul (Masters at Work) - 'The Nervous Track (Horny Mix)'. It's sort of Jazz House Breakbeat, and it's pretty awesome.

And you can't dismiss 'rave type shit' meaning the early 90s UK rave scene (rather than that corny bead-collecting flarey pants shit you have over there). And some of the early proper Trance, like Hardfloor's 'Accperience' was dope.

some chick

Post by some chick »

some chick wrote:wow i got sucked into this. talk about going down a musical memory lane. anyways i'm upping one (or two) mother of a playlist for you.
i'm no authority on the subject, especially recent stuff, but i did listen back in the day. and i didn't listen to crappy trancey stuff, so most of these songs are pretty good. the first is the more funky/house/dance zip of the two.. the second is more techno-y/harder songs. The zip put them in a total random order, some like the DJ Dan ones and the Dirtchamber sessions should mix into each other if played in the right order.

Zip 1:
Bring the Pain - Method Man (chemical brothers remix) I remember sending off in the mail for a trade for this in mixed tape form probably 11 years ago. crazy.
Rendez Vu - Basement Jaxx
Theme from Blue Cucaracha - Derrick Carter
Traffic Jam - C-Dock (Dj Dan)
B Monkey - Funky Porcini (just thrown in here, listen to this, the Roots Manuva and the other F.P. song while stoned or shrooming.)
Get Get Down - Paul Johnson ....classic
Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five/The charlatans/The Prodigy/Janes Addiction/Tim Dog f. KRS One - From the Dirtchamber Sessions Vol. 1
My Technique - DJ Technique (DJ Dan)
Toxygene - the Orb
Bushes - Markus Nikolai (Mark Farina mix)
Live @ K-Market - Conga Squad (DJ Dan)
Babe Ruth/The B-Boys/Chemical Brothers/Word of Mouth - From the Dirtchamber Sessions Vol. 1 i love the babe ruth song in here
Witness (Dub) - Roots Manuva
Da Funk - Daft Punk the entire first Daft Punk album is a classic.
Everybody Needs a 303 - Fatboy Slim sounds dated now, but big during the 303 craze
Penthouse - We in Music
Praga Khan - Lonely(Greasy Bass mix)
Red Alert - Bassment Jaxx
Spin Spin Sugar (Armands Dark Garage Mix) - Sneaker Pimps
Flyaway Love - Armand Van Helden
Halcyon + On + On - Orbital a classic and probably one of my favorite songs of all time.
Professional Widow (Armand's Star Trunk Funking Mix) - Tori Amos
Spring Fling - Gene Farris
Circle Line - Funki Porcini see above. we recorded this song over and over and over and over on one tape to listen to in my car while shrooming so we woulnd't have to hassle with hitting rewind and whatnot. ha.
Disco Science - Mirwais
Musique - Daft Punk
Avalon - Juliet newer, but strangely addicting.
House in Paris - Mephitso Odessey
Drop the Pressure - Mylo I put this on here cause somebody else mentioned it above and i had it.
Executive Memo - Hystereo newer, but kind of sounds like old daft punk
Feeling so Real - Moby totally sounds dated, but one of the songs that really got me into the genre waay back when.
Heartbeats (rex the dog remix) - The Knife
Help Me (deep dish ghost mix) - Timo Maas
It's in our Hands (soft pink truth remix) - Bjork
Music Sounds Better Wtih You - Dimitri from Paris
Say Hello - Deep Dish

download:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/d5njpj

B2B (What U Wanna B) - Frankie Bones
Glad We Were Listening - Richie Hawtin (first 5 minutes of a Mixmag Live Plastikman mix)
Break and Enter - Prodigy (entire Music for the Jilted Generation album is pretty classic)
Mmm Skyscraper I love You - Underworld
Quovadis/G-Man - Richie Hawtin (second 5 minutes of a Mixmag Live Plastikman mix)
the Beckoning - Dieselboy feat. Konflict (dnb - not my fave, but thought i'd throw it in since you requested it, mixes with other 2 dieselboy tracks)
Are You There (new mix) - Josh Wink more from the 303 era
Sawn Off - Dieselboy feat. Usual Suspects
Song to the Siren - Chemical Brothers
Studio 54 - Frankie Bones
Insomnia (Armands Mission to Mars) - Faithless put this in cause it was listed above, don't think i listened to it too much..
Photon - Dieselboy feat. DJ Friction
Black Flute - Leftfield
Dirty Epic - Underworld (another of my fave songs, although maybe just for the memories associated with it)
Speedway - Prodigy
B True 2 Your Skool - DJ Apollo
Cowgirl - Underworld
Space Shanty - Leftfield
Poison - Prodigy
Alpha Wave (Plastikman's Acid house mix) - 777 love this song. 17 minutes of bliss.
Girl Boy Song - Aphex Twin
Joga (Alex Empire Hardcore Mix2) - Bjork
Papua New Guinea - Future Sound of London
Poltergeist - Viscious Circles (from Keoki mix)

download:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wbej0g

oh and i can't find my old dj boogie cd, thats some old great ghetto/booty house, i'll upload some if i find it.

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

some chick wrote:
some chick wrote:Daft Funk - Daft Punk the entire first Daft Punk album is a classic.
some chick. I'm going over to your appreciation thread and showing you love that I didn't show before.
I can't wait to get home and D/L this shit.

neoteric,
definitely pick up Daft Punk- Homework
some chick is right. This album is gangsta from front to back. It was the reason I actually started enjoying techno.
in fact, if anyone can suggest some albums that have a similar vicious sound like this album, I could kiss you on the **** for it. (AD reference)

because Daft was never as good as their first record.

El Keter

Post by El Keter »

De Seven Free wrote:I'll get onto this when I get home. But for now let me recommend you seek out Nu-Yorican Soul (Masters at Work) - 'The Nervous Track (Horny Mix)'. It's sort of Jazz House Breakbeat, and it's pretty awesome.
I'll co-sign the Masters At Work ( Kenny Dope and Louie Vega ) love.

They're one of the most prolific New York House music production duos ever. And most of what they touch turns to dancefloor gold.

They've produced some incredible stuff as MAW, on their own, and under various psuedonyms.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Code: Select all

http://download.yousendit.com/7E835B256834B924
pendulum - slam

neoteric

Post by neoteric »

wow, thank you all

im grabbing the masters at work and daft punk immediately

some chick, i cant thank you enough for those playlists!!
ill give em a listen and come back with more questions

im really just tryin to become a more well rounded dj, so all this helps

as for ghetto booty techno thats EXACTLY what id love

you know that song by Studio B called I See Girls? is that in the boat?

El Keter

Post by El Keter »

neoteric wrote:as for ghetto booty techno thats EXACTLY what id love
Are you talking about Detroit Ghettotech shit?

Get you some Detroit Grand Pubahs.

neoteric

Post by neoteric »

i have no idea what im talking about

heavy bass
dirty raps and samples
shit girls like to dance to

dj assualt, baltimore house etc

De Seven Free

Post by De Seven Free »

Thing about this kind of music is that it's made to go with certain drugs and environments, and doesn't work half as well out of its proper context. My enjoyment of it these days is largely nostalgic. And with a lot of this stuff, make sure you get the original, not the shitty recent remixes.

Pre-1990 stuff:
Orange Lemon - Dreams of Santa Anna (essential - Todd Terry's house version of 'The Mexican', basically)
Marshall Jefferson - Move Your Body
Rhythim Is Rhythim (Derrick May) - Strings of Life
Frankie Knuckles & Jamie Principle - Your Love
D-Shake - Yaaah, Technotrance
Mr Fingers/Fingers Inc. - Mysteries of Love, Washing Machine
808 State - Pacific

Early Jungle Techno/Ragga House/Breakbeat (what became Drum & Bass):
Gee Double E - Fire When Ready
Genaside II - Narra Mine
4 Hero - Mr Kirkג€™s Nightmare
Lennie de Ice - We Are IE
2 Bad Mice - Bombscare
Urban Shakedown - Some Justice
Nebula II - Atheama

House/Garage:
Martha Wash - Carry On (Todd Terry remixes)
Melissa Morgan - Still In Love With You (Masters at Work remixes)
Gat Decor - Passion (NOT the version with the 'Right Here Right Now' acappella over the top they play every-fucking-where)
TC 1992 - Funky Guitar
House of Gypsies (Todd Terry) - Makossa
Convert - Nightbird
Disco Evangelists - De Niro
Leftfield - Release The Pressure

Techno/Early Trance (what gets called 'trance' these days is some candy-ass bullshit):
Hardfloor - Acperience 1
Age of Love - Age of Love
Jaydee (not that one) - Plastic Dreams
CJ Bolland - Ravesignal III
Outlander - The Vamp
Jam & Spoon - Stella
Joey Beltram - Energy Flash
Human Resource - Dominator
Second Phase - Mentasm
Golden Girls - Kinetic
T99 - Anaesthesia
Deacon Blue - Your Town (Perfecto Mix)
Underworld - Rez, Cowgirl

^ A lot of those are on the Belgian R&S records, who ran techno in the early nineties.

And you can't go far wrong with anything produced by Masters at Work or by Todd Terry before his remix of Everything But The Girl's 'Missing' (he went kinda 'handbag' after that). They're house producers who were originally into hip hop.

And that second mix some chick posted looks good.

mud

Post by mud »

De Seven Free wrote: Age of Love - Age of Love
best track in thread
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

some chick

Post by some chick »

neoteric wrote:i have no idea what im talking about

heavy bass
dirty raps and samples

found my dj boogie cd. he's similar to dj funk, but more fun imo.. ghetto house.. dirty, heavy bass, and shit i used to go nuts dancing when he'd play somewhere. ha. if nothing else, it's good for a laugh. :grin:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sqvzos

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

i need glow sticks now.

neoteric

Post by neoteric »

some chick wrote:
neoteric wrote:i have no idea what im talking about

heavy bass
dirty raps and samples

found my dj boogie cd. he's similar to dj funk, but more fun imo.. ghetto house.. dirty, heavy bass, and shit i used to go nuts dancing when he'd play somewhere. ha. if nothing else, it's good for a laugh. :grin:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sqvzos
this is dope! thank you!