Nine Inch Nails

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Nine Inch Nails

Post by Moolah »

School me on Nine Inch Nails please.

I really like The Fragile (mostly disc 1), it's one of my favourite rock albums. I'm thinking Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral are musts? I am pretty sure I have heard most, if not all the tracks on both these albums, but The Fragile is the only album I know really well. These two are generally regarded as their best two albums right?

I'm also thinking I should avoid "With Teeth".

What's the deal with those remix albums like Further Down the Spiral? They any good? Am I missing anything?

Also, an :upload: of either Pretty Hate Machine or The Downward Spiral would be much appreciated.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

Broken is my favorite album by them

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

It's pretty much all good.

And "With Teeth" is awesome.

I will up "Downward Spiral" tomorrow if no one else has.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

That would be dope Hopeless!

Also, I would just like to take this time to say that the drums on "The Perfect Drug" are fucking insane. What album is that on?

shopvack

Post by shopvack »

HopeLess wrote:"With Teeth" is awesome
it really is. it was my first nails purchase, and it surprised me quite a bit. rezner has a surprisingly good pop sensibility that adds a lot to his music.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

Downward Spiral is an absolute must

their live show is an absloute must

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Andvil wrote:their live show is an absloute must
I've actually seen them live before, but it was part of a festival. I don't know what you guys think, but festival shows never fuck with solo gigs to me, and honestly at the time I was kind of just waiting for them to finish so the Chilli Peppers would come on :oops:. I was close to seeing them this year but didn't end up going. Oh, andvil I just found out that DragonForce toured Sydney in May and I didn't even know they existed back then.

:thumbsdown:

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

:thumbsdown: indeed

yeah I was talking about their solo live shows. Especially the tour where they worked with Bill Viola on all their huge video projection stuff. Mindblowing

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Sorta off topic a little... but I remember being told NIN is not actually a band, rather just Trent Rexnor. Is that true?
I <3 Employee.

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

Moolah wrote:That would be dope Hopeless!

Also, I would just like to take this time to say that the drums on "The Perfect Drug" are fucking insane. What album is that on?
Will get right on that.

And I think "Perfect Drug" is from a soundtrack...The Crow City Of Angels I think? Not totally sure.

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

Myjah wrote:Sorta off topic a little... but I remember being told NIN is not actually a band, rather just Trent Rexnor. Is that true?
He is the brains of the operation, and pretty much the only constant within the "group". So he "is" Nine Inch Nails, and creates/writes the music...but he has a band that plays with him...And he'll bring in other artists to work with him(Dave Grohl doign drums on "With Teeth, etc.).

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Moolah wrote:That would be dope Hopeless!

I have a LostHighway Soundtrack version, a We're in This Together3 version
and 5 more versions of it with different beats that Im not sure what album they are from

I have a ton of NIN stuff, so if you want something let me know

here is Broken

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4O5PGVJP

shopvack

Post by shopvack »

HopeLess wrote:
Myjah wrote:Sorta off topic a little... but I remember being told NIN is not actually a band, rather just Trent Rexnor. Is that true?
He is the brains of the operation, and pretty much the only constant within the "group". So he "is" Nine Inch Nails, and creates/writes the music...but he has a band that plays with him...And he'll bring in other artists to work with him (Dave Grohl doign drums on "With Teeth, etc.).
no shit? didn't even know that

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

Well it goes like this to further reinterate those points. Pretty Hate Machine is an industrial classic and heavily in debt to David Bowie's "Low" work and other 70's art rock. The Downward Spiral is claustrophobic and gloomy. It's angst ridden and was recorded in the crib of the tate murders. The Fragile is more textured and sprawling. Broken is a bolt of energy like Trent intended. The new album is pretty good. Kinda sums their new sound up. New album in 07. Peace.

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

Uploading it now.

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

Matt925

Post by Matt925 »

Great thing about nin is that every album has a very different sound, while maintaining similar, but evolving themes.

Pretty Hate Machine is kind of like heavy synthpop and the album is about being heartbroken.

Broken is heavy industrial/metal, and is about anger manifesting itself in self abuse and hatred.

The Downward Spiral is like industrial music with really complex soundscapes, and is the story of a person who kills himself, but there is redemption at the end.

The Fragile goes much more into complex soundscapes, and is my favorite album. It's about being at the bottom and trying to find your way out.

With Teeth is much more poppy, like the first album, but with some really unique sounds. It's about finding your place in the world.

From everything he's said, the next album will be very political, which I'm not crazy about, but you can see the natural progression. He's taken so long between albums, and makes such personal music, that you can kind of follow his life through his music. He got clean after the fragile, and is more confident and positive now, and with teeth is a reflection of that.

One thing about being a nin fan: never get your hopes up, and never take anything he says seriously. He talks, a lot. The album is supposed to come out next year, and now that he's clean I'm more confident, but it's foolish to get your hopes up with his track record. And as far as the content of the album, he always says what an album will be like, and the final result is like a 180.

He is a musical genious, his complex compositions and the fact that he does nearly everything himself is impressive. But lyrics are not his strong point. It's all about the music and atmosphere.

nin live is a must, no one puts on shows like them. Just check out the teaser trailer for the new dvd from the past tour:

http://www.nin.com/current/index.html (check 9/23 post)

You can completely skip the remix albums, they are worhtless with a handful of decent remixes out of all the albums. Originals are so much better. But if you like nin you must check out "still" which is kind of like an acoustic/piano driven ep with some new versions of old songs as well as a few new ones. One of my favorite albums.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Thanks everyone, especially eternalreflection and Hopeless for the uploads! And solid info Matt.

Myjah, I think this answers your question.
As producer, singer, songwriter, and instrumentalist, Reznor has remained solely responsible for the musical direction of the band, and has described NIN as "two separate entities" the "studio," consisting almost entirely of himself; and the live band.

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

never heard anything by them, so this thread was good for me too. I;m gonna check out downward spiral and if I like it the other stuff too

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Here's a really great live version of Hurt on youtube. Damn, I usually hate watching recordings of live performances, but this was amazing, it sounds so close to the album cut.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=60KfGKXXtBg

And here is Johnny Cash's cover. This shit made me sad as fuck. Anyone got an mp3? Perfect Drug as well? Sorry to keep asking for shit.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L0UwMQ1LJh8

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

Moolah wrote:And here is Johnny Cash's cover. This shit made me sad as fuck. Anyone got an mp3? Perfect Drug as well? Sorry to keep asking for shit.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L0UwMQ1LJh8
An MP3 of Johnny Cash's "Hurt"? I can hook it up when I get home.

And yeah that's one of the most chilling, sad, music videos I have ever seen.

Trent Reznor said in an interview that he was skeptical of JC doing the cover, and feared it would be gimmicky...But he said when he heard it, he said something like, "That's not even my song anymore". Crazy.

The o.g. version is awesome too though.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

here is Pretty Hate Machine, I added a Perfect Drug to it as well
here are the 3versions of Hurt from NIN I have, plus the Johnny Cash version

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

IF someone can find TERRIBLE LIE from Woodstock...send it to me. I used to have a copy but it got stolen. So much rock commenced and I need it back in my life.

Shup Diddy
Nigga, Shup

Post by Shup Diddy »

word to Hurt, it's almost like a tragic love song

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

ARGHLENE wrote:IF someone can find TERRIBLE LIE from Woodstock...send it to me. I used to have a copy but it got stolen. So much rock commenced and I need it back in my life.
only live version i have is from And All That Could Have Been .. if that works I can upload it

totally unrelated to NIN, but if anyone has Notorious Big's Party and Bullshit and could upload it for me, it would be greatly appreciated

Shup Diddy
Nigga, Shup

Post by Shup Diddy »

eternalreflection wrote: totally unrelated to NIN, but if anyone has Notorious Big's Party and Bullshit and could upload it for me, it would be greatly appreciated
actually it is cause didn't reznor do a remix to this?

Matt925

Post by Matt925 »

Moolah wrote:Here's a really great live version of Hurt on youtube. Damn, I usually hate watching recordings of live performances, but this was amazing, it sounds so close to the album cut.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=60KfGKXXtBg
For visual awe, check out these youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5edN_IlFHgQ
Eraser/Right Where It Belongs/Beside You In Time from the spring tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RKKJNBx ... ed&search=
Closer from the ampitheartre tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UCwiJ8xCW4
Help Me I'm In Hell from the summer ampitheatre tour.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

eternalreflection wrote:here is Pretty Hate Machine, I added a Perfect Drug to it as well
Awesome man. Thanks heaps.

Arlene I don't have an mp3 but here is teh video of it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=X-1cADis4EI

Yeah Hopeless I prefer the NIN version, it sounds a lot better to me. But the Cash version is just haunting.

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

Moolah wrote:
eternalreflection wrote:here is Pretty Hate Machine, I added a Perfect Drug to it as well

Yeah Hopeless I prefer the NIN version, it sounds a lot better to me. But the Cash version is just haunting.
I actually prefer Johnny's version..but i like the nIn one alot too.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

HopeLess wrote:
Moolah wrote:

I actually prefer Johnny's version..but i like the nIn one alot too.
I agree. The video is touching.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.